Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

As an owner of a m43 (E-M10) and Fuji (X-T3) setup, I would much rather have just the Fuji system and an additional X-T20/30 body for lightweight travel.

As it is I don’t mind bringing the X-T3 and one or two lenses on most backcountry trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

powderific posted:

Maybe I just have stockholm syndrome from carrying a shoulder mount camera everywhere, but is it really worth buying into a new system what seems like a pretty incremental amount of size/weight from fuji?

Friend, have you ever carried an XH-1 with the 100-400 lens? My DSLR was lighter.

That metal construction is nice and all, but it got weight.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

XBenedict posted:

Speaking of bird focus, I'm a Fuji guy, but I'm looking at maybe getting a lighter MFT setup for birds and wildlife. I'm looking at the Lumix G9, and I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with the "animal focus" that they added, as it pertains to birds.

The video reviews of it have been pretty positive so far, but none were specifically bird-oriented.

Edit: Thought I was in the bird thread..my bad.

I directly compared the G9 and XH1, and it ended up being a very close thing. They're almost exactly the same size, the G9 feels better in the hand, and handles better, especially with a big lens. In the end it came down to cost, with the clearout deals at the time on the XH1 still being $100s cheaper than the G9, and that's coming from someone who already has m43 glass. I'm super happy with my Fuji though. You won't be saving size or weight in the body with a G9 though, just in the lens.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

Friend, have you ever carried an XH-1 with the 100-400 lens? My DSLR was lighter.

That metal construction is nice and all, but it got weight.

Sure, I think my Z6 with 80-400 weighs about the same if not a hair more. I’ve had a couple smaller systems next to my main system and it didn’t generally feel worth it. Nikon FF DSLRs with micro 4/3, Fuji, and Sony APS-C at different times. It never felt like the size/weight/quality trade offs were worth having a whole second line of stuff. On the other hand the GR feels totally worth it.

I get wanting a lighter option though—I’d really love something like an S1H to compliment my big video camera.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

powderific posted:

Maybe I just have stockholm syndrome from carrying a shoulder mount camera everywhere, but is it really worth buying into a new system what seems like a pretty incremental amount of size/weight from fuji?
Fuji is a fairly weak system for wildlife photography at the moment. It simply lacks the range of lenses that other system do. There's really only the 100-400 for long reach, one 'big white' tier lens but at the mid-tier of reach (200 F/2), and a few consumer tier mid-reach lenses (ie. up to ~200mm).And that might not be changing any time soon.

By comparison, get a Panasonic 100-400 f5-6.3 and it's like a 500+ on the Fuji. There's the Olympus 300 f/4 which is really well regarded yet affordable (like 400mm on a Fuji) . Olympus is still promising to deliver their pro-tier 100-400 f/4.5 with inbuilt 1.4 converter, plus rumours of a consumer 100-400 to complete against the Panasonic. There's an Olympus 100-300. Even the mid-reach 200mm lenses on m43 gain that bit of useful reach compared to APS-C. And it's a crime only Olympus offer a rolling pre-capture buffer.

I'm sceptical about the m4/3 sensors (partly the inherent issues of size but also that Olympus seem to be stuck on reusing the same sensor and Panasonic refusing to offer phase detection AF) but there seems to be way more world-class wildlife photographers switching to Olympus than Fuji. The telephoto end is where the M43 size advantage really makes the biggest difference.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Fuji is a fairly weak system for wildlife photography at the moment. It simply lacks the range of lenses that other system do. There's really only the 100-400 for long reach, one 'big white' tier lens but at the mid-tier of reach (200 F/2), and a few consumer tier mid-reach lenses (ie. up to ~200mm).And that might not be changing any time soon.

that article suggested that from inside Fuji, there's disappointment the 200 f/2 didn't sell well, but it seems like the root cause is price sensitivity for the Fuji user base. A $6,000 lens -- which also includes a 1.4x teleconverter, to bring it over 400 mm equivalent, mind -- sounds like a bridge too far for Fuji users.

but there's also rumors via FujiRumor about a 70-300 coming soon, and though it'll be slower it should at least slot in price-wise below $1,000 (the current 55-200 is $700).

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

lol @ canon kneecapping the M system and relaunched their mirrorless line with RF instead.

They really could’ve just done what others are doing with same mount but crop mode. Or made the initial M system same diameter as EF mount but sits closer to the sensor.

Now people can only get to choose between a better value camera with smaller size or some huge and expensive setup with nothing really in between or interchangeable.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

IMO the problem is that 200 is too short for sports and wildlife photographers to spend top dollar. It also makes a great portrait lens but that's not a demographic who are use to spending that much on lenses. So it's got stuck in a bit of no-mans land.

FujiRumors also found some patents for fresnel 300/4 and 500/5.6 designs which I think would be much more useful additions to the ecosystem.
https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-xf-300mm-f4-and-500mm-f5-6-patents-found/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Encrypted posted:

lol @ canon kneecapping the M system and relaunched their mirrorless line with RF instead.

They really could’ve just done what others are doing with same mount but crop mode. Or made the initial M system same diameter as EF mount but sits closer to the sensor.

Now people can only get to choose between a better value camera with smaller size or some huge and expensive setup with nothing really in between or interchangeable.
History shows it's Canon modus operandi to drop compatibility in a new design puts them in a better position going forward. It's why EF wasn't compatible with FD and EF-S wasn't compatible with EF bodies. Compare that to Nikon who seem to like compatibility when they went to autofocus and when they introduced DX, even if it cost them some engineering flexibility in future products.

Launching an APS-C with a mount diameter chosen for 35mm would be inefficient so it's in Canon's DNA to optimise for the specific use-case and maximise smallness. The fact it is formally called the EF-M mount and not just M mount suggests to me it was never intended to become their future main mount but a complementary ecosystem to target the "I want small" crowd. When it was launched in 2012 digital camera sales were still riding the boom and it probably seemed like there was room for it.

Subsequently launching a full frame mirrorless system using a mount they optimised for APS-C again is just not the Canon way. So new mount optimised for 35mm. It's the EOS RF not EOS EF-RF because it's going to fully take over.

Will APS-C come to RF? I think it's inevitable. The question is what will happen to EF-M. I think it will survive if it can make a profitable niche as an affordable small form factor system otherwise it will eventually be discontinued a la the Nikon 1 system.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 14, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Olympus overall shortcoming in sensor size is where it really shines in wildlife and sports. Getting a stupid amount of reach (and IBIS) on a very small body with light lenses is a godsend. You can get way up in on subjects without disturbing them.

PA200497 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

PA200467 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

Likewise with sports, especially the bigger field sports like lacrosse, soccer, or football, where you're going to need as much reach as you can get.

BRW64429 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW64084 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Olympus announced a autofocus:birds mode or something like it, and it got me thinking about how they do it. The first guess I had was some kind of machine vision identify:birdshape algorithm or something. But then I figured it would probably be easier to remove the IR filter and focus on the warm blob hidden in the cool foliage, and somehow filter the IR wavelengths with software. That would really help for trying to get a photo of a little dull bird sulking in a bush, where a normal AF gets confused by all the leaves and twigs and branches. Maybe it's a combination of both?

The IR range that camera sensors respond to (750 to maybe 900nm) is nowhere near the room temperature/living creature thermal IR range (~10,000 nm). That's why thermal cameras need special expensive microbolometer sensors rather than just regular CCD/CMOS sensors with no filter.

A regular camera sensor can of course pick up the thermal IR from a very hot object, like a stove burner, because the emissions shift to a higher frequency as the object gets hotter.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Canon's refurb site has stupid cheap deals, including the EOS RP for $729 and the EOS R for $1311:

https://slickdeals.net/f/14206169-20-off-refurb-canon-cameras-and-lenses-744-98?src=frontpage

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I saw a preview of the new Canon 5R/6R, the walking selfie video stabilzation is pretty good and usable. It's crazy how Canon can get it right on a FF body and Sony can't figure it out in a 1" body. Although a FF setup is too bulky for vlogging.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The R5 autofocus is looking pretty sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8Divtkhe4

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of the R5/6, for someone who's used a camera with decent IBIS, is a gimbal still necessary for decent handheld video? I currently have an M50 and was thinking of either getting a gimbal (probably the Weebill S for some future-proofing) or waiting and getting the R6 which might be good enough without it, since buying both would be quite :homebrew:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of the R5/6, for someone who's used a camera with decent IBIS, is a gimbal still necessary for decent handheld video? I currently have an M50 and was thinking of either getting a gimbal (probably the Weebill S for some future-proofing) or waiting and getting the R6 which might be good enough without it, since buying both would be quite :homebrew:

I used dual IS with the G9 + 12-35 panny lens once and good lord it was amazing.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hey all. I'm a Canon guy who picked up an A7ii to play with. Are there any well regarded cheaper primes similar to Canon's 40mm pancake or nifty fifty? I'll probably get an adapter for my Canon stuff but I thought I'd try out some of the native lenses first.

ephori fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 27, 2020

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

ephori posted:

Hey all. I'm a Canon guy who picked up an A7ii to play with. Are there any well regarded cheaper primes similar to Canon's 40mm pancake or nifty fifty? I'll probably get an adapter for my Canon stuff but I thought I'd try out some of the native lenses first.

Not sure what else is available these days, but I liked the Samyang 35/2.8 which is very reasonably priced and a native mount lens.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ephori posted:

I was in your shoes too. If you’re looking for stuff at the price point of the lenses you mention then the answer is no. I bought a sigma mc-11 adapter and just kept using my canon lenses.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

President Beep posted:

I was in your shoes too. If you’re looking for stuff at the price point of the lenses you mention then the answer is no. I bought a sigma mc-11 adapter and just kept using my canon lenses.

I've had a good experience with my mc-11, too, with:
Tamron 17-35 2.8-4
Sigma 24 1.4
Canon 50 1.2
Canon 85 1.8

but my Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II focused like garbage, so I sold it and ponied up for the Sony one.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Ugh, that’s a bummer. I’ve had pretty good luck with my 70-200 f/4’s autofocus on the adapter.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Canon adapted AF works great until the moment it doesn't, you really-really need it to work and you don't even understand what conditions make it crap out. At this point you swear to never use adapters again and only buy first party glass, the price of which eventually leads you to again consider adapted Canon lenses and the cycle begins anew.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been playing the adapted Canon vs first party Sony game for months now without taking a side. I really want a plastic fantastic 50 1.8 but it's about the same price (or maybe JUST a LITTLE bit more) to get the MC11+Canon 50 1.8 as it is to buy the first party Sony here in Canada, but having the adapter would open the door to having other Canon lenses but then I don't really want to invest in two systems but then Canon's system is more mature but th--

So I compromised by doing nothing.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
I sent back Sony 50 1.8. That lens will literally turn your A7 III AF system into contrast detect only including slow hunting back and forth to reach focus. It was awful. I rather used MC-11 + 50 1.4 but that combination failed in very low light (and sometimes in good light just for the hell of it).

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I sidegraded out of my long serving but always kinda buggy x-t2 to a new x-t30. The video and low light AF is way more usable but I still have a stable of adapted Nikon manual focus lenses. Considering how much smaller and more plastic the T30 is, I’d like to find a Nikon to Fuji X adapter with a tripod mount built in, but my eBay search hasn’t turned one up yet. Does anyone know if these exist and where I might find one? Just a simple dumb mechanical adapter is all I need. My Nikon to m4/3 adapter has one, so I’m thinking a Fuji equivalent has to exist somewhere.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I sidegraded out of my long serving but always kinda buggy x-t2 to a new x-t30. The video and low light AF is way more usable but I still have a stable of adapted Nikon manual focus lenses. Considering how much smaller and more plastic the T30 is, I’d like to find a Nikon to Fuji X adapter with a tripod mount built in, but my eBay search hasn’t turned one up yet. Does anyone know if these exist and where I might find one? Just a simple dumb mechanical adapter is all I need. My Nikon to m4/3 adapter has one, so I’m thinking a Fuji equivalent has to exist somewhere.

This maybe?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I'm hoping to have some opinions on XT3 v. XT4. I already have Fuji glass so I'm not looking to change systems and I'm currently on the XT2. I primarily take photos most of the time with video only rarely so the video feature advantages of the XT4 aren't really swaying me to it. Are the IBIS and longer battery worth the extra money in anyones personal experience with both cameras? The autofocus seems to also be better as well but I can't say I'm having issues with it currently on the XT2 as I'm not taking sports or action shots.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been bench racing them for a while, I think I'd actually prefer the tilt screen on the 3 and I flip flop on wanting stabilization since I'd like to take more handheld night shots.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

doomisland posted:

I'm hoping to have some opinions on XT3 v. XT4. I already have Fuji glass so I'm not looking to change systems and I'm currently on the XT2. I primarily take photos most of the time with video only rarely so the video feature advantages of the XT4 aren't really swaying me to it. Are the IBIS and longer battery worth the extra money in anyones personal experience with both cameras? The autofocus seems to also be better as well but I can't say I'm having issues with it currently on the XT2 as I'm not taking sports or action shots.

The Fuji IBIS is awesome so if your lenses are not stabilized that to me is worth the price difference.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ephori posted:

lol guess who's also a former canon person who juuuuuuust got an a7sii like 2 months ago. whoops.

idk how much the price on used bodies will drop, but i am real sad not having the revamped menu system since hoo boy is the "canon is a camera company (with the usability to show for it) that has to stick tech in their bodies; sony is a tech company that has to stick camera bodies around their tech" thing true. what IS this interface.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

what IS this interface.

Don’t try to make sense of it.

That’s the first step to madness.

But seriously, real sad that there hasn’t been some CHDK type hack that gives us a normal menu for normal humans.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

As someone who is literally an interface designer it's obvious to me that no camera company will let a design team actually do proper work on a camera system. All camera UIs range between "the worst" and "almost acceptable" and I think there's a lot of baggage from film and early digital that, once disposed of, could make modern cameras easier to understand. It's not just software, one of the reasons I like Fuji so much is the auto options on all the dials, makes so much more sense to me than priority modes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, the gamut is definitely wide. On my D610 I'm never like "gently caress where the gently caress is that one setting" -- even if it isn't immediately obvious, it's like two clicks away.

Meanwhile on the A7iii I press the menu button and it's all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4siRWMULqj4

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

qirex posted:

As someone who is literally an interface designer it's obvious to me that no camera company will let a design team actually do proper work on a camera system. All camera UIs range between "the worst" and "almost acceptable" and I think there's a lot of baggage from film and early digital that, once disposed of, could make modern cameras easier to understand. It's not just software, one of the reasons I like Fuji so much is the auto options on all the dials, makes so much more sense to me than priority modes.

I've found the Panasonic menus pretty great and straightforward.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

qirex posted:

one of the reasons I like Fuji so much is the auto options on all the dials, makes so much more sense to me than priority modes.

Back when I was first getting started with my first DSLR like a decade ago, the completely opaque priority modes definitely limited my ability to really understand what I was doing. The individual auto setting on the Fuji dials is so intuitive that I honestly forgot that other cameras don't do it the same way.

The fact that I can adjust so much without going into the menu on a Fuji means the sorta limited Q menu is often enough to do the rest of what I need. I can go out for hours and never really go into the full menu.*

*I'm a terrible photographer but I don't think not going into the menus very often is what's holding me back :v:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

lol guess who's also a former canon person who juuuuuuust got an a7sii like 2 months ago. whoops.

idk how much the price on used bodies will drop, but i am real sad not having the revamped menu system since hoo boy is the "canon is a camera company (with the usability to show for it) that has to stick tech in their bodies; sony is a tech company that has to stick camera bodies around their tech" thing true. what IS this interface.

Don't tell me this. I literally JUST pulled the trigger on a Sony A7 R II. Ugh.
The Canon's, Nikon's and even the Panasonics just feel far more ergonomic. Hard to beat those A7 R II specs for the price though.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Awesome. Way past the price point of my current $25 adapter, but it’s got the tripod mount and “precision machining” which hopefully eliminates the slightly tilted (or swung, really) planes of focus I see on all the adapted Nikon lenses.

doomisland posted:

Having just gone from an X-T2 to an X-T30, I can say that if you’re getting what you want out of the AF system of your current camera and don’t need either 4K 60p or hardcore color grading ability for your video, don’t upgrade to the X-T3. The new sensor is mostly an upgrade to frame readout speed, which I guess makes AF more responsive and allows for the wild & crazy internal video specs, but there is practically (probably literally) zero additional detail capture and actually more noise, at least at the ludicrous ISOs. This is all stated in reviews but my experience with the T30 confirmed it for me. I’m appreciating the low light AF upgrade a lot but if you’re happy with your X-T2 I’d say the only way you’ll get a worthwhile upgrade is to spring for the model with IBIS.

...although I haven’t done a lot with Color Chrome or Dynamic Range Priority yet. I haven’t been able to see much difference between DRP and the old Auto DR setting so far. Color Chrome might be nice but I haven’t had occasion to use it yet. I think it’s mostly all stuff that can be duplicated by processing RAW files on a computer, though. Eterna is cool but not worth the price of admission on its own. Classic Chrome was really the last super hot-poo poo profile IMO.

Edit: I thought I would care a lot more about the smaller evf on the X-T30, but it’s fine really. Haven’t experienced the new panel on the X-T3/4 but I suppose it’s very nice.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 30, 2020

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qirex posted:

I never understood how cameras worked properly until getting a fuji x100s. The dials were so much more understandable, and it finally felt possible to relate what I was doing to the results. I now have an Olympus but I wish it had the independent dials, they're much nicer to use than digging into some menu.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Personally I never really had a problem with Sony's camera UI but I suspect that's because I didn't have much of a frame of reference with Nikon or Canon and as such pretty much had a blank slate to go off of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

qirex posted:

Leica menus are nice