Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Mind if I ask what you are moving to? The gear you listed is exactly what I carry in my bag so I'm just curious what tempted you away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

qirex posted:

Sony crammed an a7III sensor into an a6600 body and it seems like the only casualty was a tiny viewfinder. It's too expensive at $1800 but might be a good buy in a couple years. IBIS, dust/weather "resistant." big battery, fairly compact.

Yeah, definitely too expensive. Also, FE mount kinda sucks when it comes to compact lens selection, so a small body seems kind of pointless to me.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The newest generation of micro four thirds lenses definitely no longer aiming to be compact, and there are definitely small FE lenses, if you are willing to make other compromises.

I wish they would update the more compact lenses with weather sealing, like panasonic did with the 25mm f1.4.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

GEMorris posted:

Mind if I ask what you are moving to? The gear you listed is exactly what I carry in my bag so I'm just curious what tempted you away.

I picked up a fuji X-H1 last year with the 16-55mm as a kit with the battery grip for a pretty ridiculous deal. I was looking at a G9, but I couldn't beat the Fuji deal. The Gx85 has been sitting in a box waiting for me to decide I wanted money more than I wanted to hoard my old camera stuff. That time has arrived.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 16, 2020

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

qirex posted:

Sony crammed an a7III sensor into an a6600 body and it seems like the only casualty was a tiny viewfinder. It's too expensive at $1800 but might be a good buy in a couple years. IBIS, dust/weather "resistant." big battery, fairly compact.

Am I being old and cranky thinking the ergonomics of this will be awful with anything that's not a pancake? As recently discussed ff lenses are still mostly hefty big boys

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Samyang sells 24mm and 35mm 2.8 af lenses which are like 100g each.

Sony's 28-60mm zoom is 170g.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

qirex posted:

Interestingly the 28-60mm lens alone is ~$500. Also the it's tiny but still looks great on something like an a7r4 judging from samples.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

qirex posted:

i need this

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I've got a Fuji 50-140/2.8 that I bet I've put on my camera six times in the year or so that I've had it (I'm the second owner). It might be time to let it go. Thought I'd put out a feeler here before I :effort: and take pictures and pull together a listing. Any potential interest at a [slightly] sub-$1000 price point, assuming it's in excellent shape like I remember it being? It's a great lens and obviously super versatile but I mostly shoot people and I don't really need anything that long and fast.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is there a special Fuji version of Capture One? I thought I saw a link at some point in the past, but can't find it out now. I did download the trial and they ask what brand you have so maybe I already got it. My concern is the focus masking feature doesn't appear to work. It only works on RAW images or their variants so I didn't know if it was having fits with the .raf file format. Everything else seems to work.

I was trying to figure out how to shoot live preview with my laptop and Adobe wants an extra $70 for a janky Fujifilm plug-in so I'm seeing if Capture One can replace Lightroom.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is there a special Fuji version of Capture One? I thought I saw a link at some point in the past, but can't find it out now. I did download the trial and they ask what brand you have so maybe I already got it. My concern is the focus masking feature doesn't appear to work. It only works on RAW images or their variants so I didn't know if it was having fits with the .raf file format. Everything else seems to work.

I was trying to figure out how to shoot live preview with my laptop and Adobe wants an extra $70 for a janky Fujifilm plug-in so I'm seeing if Capture One can replace Lightroom.

Si

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I’m thinking a lot about switching to the free Fuji C1 for most of my sorting and raw conversion needs. I found it a little slow on my Surface but recently foolishly updated my Bridge and PS (institutional versions that I can’t roll back) and the hit to performance is even worse with those.

I like that I get pretty accurate film sims compared to what my old version of ACR had, and the inclusion of classic neg for my XT30 is kinda neat, but I’ve gotten used to the Bridge method of managing files straight off the card. Luckily I have an external SSD for batch imports.

Does anyone think that C1 does a better job of reproducing fine details from Fuji raws than ACR or the internal camera processing, or is that still just the domain of X-Transformer?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

It absolutely can. theres also a way to import your Lightroom catalog into sessions to preserve some global edits. Sometimes I think about re-editing photos from like 8 years and remember that all my photos are bad, even more so in the past.

Also the free version has the more advanced editing stuff hamstrung so you buy the pro or platform specific version.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

red19fire posted:

It absolutely can. theres also a way to import your Lightroom catalog into sessions to preserve some global edits. Sometimes I think about re-editing photos from like 8 years and remember that all my photos are bad, even more so in the past.

Also the free version has the more advanced editing stuff hamstrung so you buy the pro or platform specific version.

I’ve never really utilized all of Lightroom’s capabilities. I used Aperture up until a couple of years ago. Lightroom has mostly been what I use to adjust white balance and crop stuff.

It would be nice to get off the Adobe subscription teat and go Affinity Photo and C1. What little I’ve used of Capture One I’ve liked.

Thanks.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m a bit of a moron for this sort of thing, but what advantages does C1/Lightroom have over something like GIMP?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Warbird posted:

I’m a bit of a moron for this sort of thing, but what advantages does C1/Lightroom have over something like GIMP?

Granted it's been a while since I used GIMP, but you should compare it more to Photoshop than C1/Lightroom.

The main strength of Lightroom is the photography workflow from raw development to cataloging, printing, etc. Just keeping track of everything you're doing, and making things easy to find, as well as batch application of things like adjustments (dust removal, white balance, etc etc). It also gives you a fair amount of editing capabilities; in fact most photographers have no need for any fancier stuff than Lightroom delivers. Photoshop will let you do (a lot) more but it's often massive overkill.

GIMP is just a free alternative to Photoshop and, eh, it used to suck and I can't imagine it's gotten all that much better. Powerful but poor UI, but hey, it's free.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Powerful but poor UI, but hey, it's free.

This is pretty much the whole thing.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The open source, free alternative to lightroom would be darktable.
If you compare those, darktable does 90% of everything lightroom does, but slightly slower and slightly worse UI. Camera support and lens correction is slower to be to implemented too.
I personally pay for lightroom because I don't really enjoy the digital post processing part of photography that much, lightroom does what I need slightly faster than the alternatives so I spend less time doing it. That for me is worth the £90 a year (plus my partner uses my photoshop every now and again).

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I use darktable. I think the common complaint is the complexity/steep learning curve. On the other hand it is very customizable. You can also stack many of the editing modules, e.g. adding a bunch of graduated densities, or applying multiple tone curves, each of which can be masked. As far as performance goes it features hardware acceleration (but you may have to install/enable it yourself).

You may find the work flow of the paid programs much better, including out of the box integration into other programs. The paid programs also have more learning/support resources available, and a greater variety of plugins/presets/etc.

Another free open source alternative is rawtherapee, which might be a little friendlier.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Fair enough, I knew the GIMP to PS was more apt; Lightroom/C1 is a bit new to me. I figure if I can learn Blender pre 2.8/Dorf Fort then it shouldn’t be too bad. My understanding is there is a fork out now that’s had some UI/UX love so that may be worth a look. My buddy has an extra key for C1, so I may take a look at that. I don’t have the patience to :filez: for the Adobe stuff anymore.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
For anyone trying darktable, for some reason the default settings apply a base curve that preserves luminance. You probably want to change it to preserve none instead if you want the color to look anything like the embedded jpeg. I use a style that fixes it and does some other basic edits. Also definitely install/enable opencl for hardware acceleration. You can also set it to use bilinear demosiacing for previews if you prefer responsiveness over accuracy for zoomed out views.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Krispy Wafer posted:

It would be nice to get off the Adobe subscription teat and go Affinity Photo and C1. What little I’ve used of Capture One I’ve liked.

I went this route and haven't looked back. It's been working well for me. C1 has a rep of not being up to snuff for DAM side of things, but it's done everything I need it to do. I think they've made some improvements in that aspect in recent versions so the rep is out of date, but I'm not sure what more pro users are looking for in this regard. Not a big PS user (always have stuck to either LR or C1 for 99% of photos, try to avoid bouncing to PS/Affinity), but Affinity has been capable, very good for removing objects (the inpainting brush). For editing, C1 is more powerful than LR (has some control that you need to swap to PS to get from LR), and I find I can get results at least as fast as LR after becoming familiar with the controls. I'm a little worried about C1 as they are pushing hard to get people to switch people towards subscriptions (tons of sales to switch to subs, nothing for normal upgrades), but hopefully they'll keep the perpetual license option.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried to make a move to C1 after being a 10+ year Lightroom user, but I don't like it as a DAM tool as much. Where it works best for me is in its more traditional format, where you have a capture session that's folder based and project specific. I've wound up using Lightroom for personal photos and long term archival, and then C1 for jobs where I'd rather keep things constrained to the specific project anyway. I do actually really like processing photos in C1 though, even if I sometimes struggle to use the interface as well as I do Lightroom. If I wasn't so used to Lightroom (and didn't have to pay for Creative Suite anyway) I think I'd be able to pretty happily making C1 work for everything.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Does anyone think that C1 does a better job of reproducing fine details from Fuji raws than ACR or the internal camera processing, or is that still just the domain of X-Transformer?

It does alright. It does far better than Camera RAW.

I also prefer C1's raw engine above Adobe's, which is partly why I switched over from Lightroom

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I tolerate the FujiRumors signal to noise ratio so you don't have to:

What I'm guessing is the X-T30 replacement is the X-S10

The highlights are $999, 26MP X-Trans, IBIS, flip out screen like the X-T4, 30fps continuous, 4k30p video [and 240p at 1080]. Nobody has said if it's weather sealed but it probably would have come up already if it was [update: it’s not sealed]. It's basically the exact same size as the X-T30 just with a much deeper grip:

There's one really weird thing about it though: PASM dial!

This pretty much kills any interest I had in it since the whole "all the dials with auto as an option" is basically my favorite thing about Fuji cameras. I'd guess this is more to interest Nikon/Canon/Sony folks who are used to that style. I know it's not the first Fuji with PASM, it's just disappointing. I'm hoping the stabilized sensor makes it into the X-Pro 4 maybe?

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 11, 2020

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
PSAM and that kind of grip do make it seem more in the style of ergonomics of cameras from other manufacturers.

Four custom modes sounds pretty good, and some of those edge features (like PSAM, type of articulating screen) make a big difference in some people's choice of system, but product diversification from fuji has gotten pretty crazy. I wonder if x-e/x-h lines are going to continue as well.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Fools Infinite posted:

PSAM and that kind of grip do make it seem more in the style of ergonomics of cameras from other manufacturers.

Four custom modes sounds pretty good, and some of those edge features (like PSAM, type of articulating screen) make a big difference in some people's choice of system, but product diversification from fuji has gotten pretty crazy. I wonder if x-e/x-h lines are going to continue as well.

X-E line is dead from what I hear.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

qirex posted:

I tolerate the FujiRumors signal to noise ratio so you don't have to:

Thank you for enduring that site on our behalf!

I was going to buy a used XT2, but this has me somewhat intrigued, although it looks like there’s no exposure compensation dial? If that’s the case than it’s a no-go for me. I’m hoping the dial on the right can be set to control it, but that seems sort of unlikely.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Usually on a camera with two control dials one will be exposure compensation in P/A/S modes.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

qirex posted:

This pretty much kills any interest I had in it since the whole "all the dials with auto as an option" is basically my favorite thing about Fuji cameras. I'd guess this is more to interest Nikon/Canon/Sony folks who are used to that style. I know it's not the first Fuji with PASM, it's just disappointing. I'm hoping the stabilized sensor makes it into the X-Pro 4 maybe?

Funny you say that, because as someone who shoots Canon that's the first Fuji body that's really gotten my attention. Looks like it has 3 dials, one on the top left, one on the top right, and one on the front? And Fuji lenses have an aperture ring on the lens itself, right? Not even sure what I'd do with all that control, but it'd certainly be a nice change over Canon gimping the bodies like the M50 with a single control wheel.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Would be nice if the dial on the top left could be mapped to ISO and worked like the ISO dial on the X-TX bodies. You can set the rear dial on an X-T30 to ISO control, but it just runs up and down the scale. Unless I’m missing some way to change it in the settings, it doesn’t cycle back to 160 when you go past the highest setting, instead you have to spin it in the opposite direction.

The top left dial on the X-S10 being unmarked is kind of goofy since it doesn’t look super easy to reach with an eye to the finder and there’s no top plate LCD screen, but it could still be useful.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

yeah I've been watching the slow water torture of news for that thing the past few weeks, and I'm curious what the positioning is. It's obviously somewhere between X-Txx and X-Tx in the lineup, but feels like an XH-1 style offshoot more than anything -- but to what end?

I'm guessing that's "X-T40 with IBIS, but we think making these changes can peel off users from Canon, M43, etc." Or they see having All of the Dials as more of a pro feature than X-Txx line feature, which I feel would be a mistake because that's going away from the 'retro vibes' USP of the Fujifilm line. I would hope it's more "beefed up X-T200" than "throttled-down X-T30" because the small line is still really, really drat good.

and for those unfamiliar - yes, there are dials up top and almost all* of the Fuji lenses have aperture control on the lens itself, but it's still a digital product and can be adjusted as such. I'm swapping between using the shutter speed dial itself and just going +/- a few steps (eg put it at 125 and use the back dial to adjust) and putting it at T and controlling fully with the rear dial. I believe you can dig into the menus and fully run aperture off a dial too. You can set it up to be more like a Nikon/Canon product. (Doing so for video with the big stills/video toggle on the X-T4 seems like really smart design).

*the 28 mm pancake is the one that really misses the aperture dial, all the other XF lenses have it. What's missing the control are the XC plastic lenses.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

I wish they would release a body in the xt form factor that was weather sealed. I went as far as trying out an XT3 to replace my 30 and just couldn't quite live with the increased size/weight. I know lots of people gripe about the xt series being too tiny, but it's super handy to take backpacking or throw in a bag when I'm out with the kids.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
I successfully held off buying a 50r gfx but the 907x is laser guided to appeal to me so in a month imma be getting a boxcamera

Holy poo poo are the lenses pricy though gf system is a goddamn bargain

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I just wish they released a FF body and stopped wasting their time with niche products. 2 big could be Sony and Fuji since they had such a long headstart to Nikon and Canon. Sony took the opportunity while Fuji wasted it completely. Now it is too late.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Ihmemies posted:

I just wish they released a FF body and stopped wasting their time with niche products. 2 big could be Sony and Fuji since they had such a long headstart to Nikon and Canon. Sony took the opportunity while Fuji wasted it completely. Now it is too late.

I'm not sure if that would make sense from a business perspective.

Assuming mirrorless caught on, at some point Nikon and Canon were going to fully jump into the mirrorless FF game, and they have a decades-long head start on lenses and in building a following. There's only so much room in that area, and having to compete against Sony, Nikon, and Canon there is going to seriously cut into possible market share or profit margins.

It seems like Fuji picked different niches where they think they can have a bigger market share and higher margins from the products they sell. The risk, of course, is how large those markets stay as mirrorless FF develops, but it's an understandable decision, IMO.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I agree. Fuji has made a nice niche for itself in crop sensor market. I imagine they will just try and pick up more market share as the others abandon it to concentrate on ff.

R&D for 2 formats is expensive enough, doing 3 is something I don't think fuji could afford.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Borachon posted:

The risk, of course, is how large those markets stay as mirrorless FF develops, but it's an understandable decision, IMO.

How long has Canon introduced the 5D line? That was 15 years ago or so? Have yields improved so much as they push sensor tech that they can be as cheap per unit as APS/C? I know part of the pricing is market positioning but nobody else has so vastly undercut them.

It’s like the big land yachts sold by Ford and Chevy in the 1970s, and Fuji has gone the BMW 2002/Datsun 510 route instead.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

and get owned by canon, nikon, sony and panasonic (L mount alliance)?

Fuji is a niche player. They made the APS-C retro niche work. They are making the MF format work.

Borachon posted:

I'm not sure if that would make sense from a business perspective.

Assuming mirrorless caught on, at some point Nikon and Canon were going to fully jump into the mirrorless FF game, and they have a decades-long head start on lenses and in building a following. There's only so much room in that area, and having to compete against Sony, Nikon, and Canon there is going to seriously cut into possible market share or profit margins.

It seems like Fuji picked different niches where they think they can have a bigger market share and higher margins from the products they sell. The risk, of course, is how large those markets stay as mirrorless FF develops, but it's an understandable decision, IMO.

Medium Format is where the puck is going. APS-C is a compromise for size that isn't as good as a cell phone for size and not as good as FF for quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

harperdc posted:

How long has Canon introduced the 5D line? That was 15 years ago or so? Have yields improved so much as they push sensor tech that they can be as cheap per unit as APS/C? I know part of the pricing is market positioning but nobody else has so vastly undercut them.

It’s like the big land yachts sold by Ford and Chevy in the 1970s, and Fuji has gone the BMW 2002/Datsun 510 route instead.

Actually yes. There's an intrinsic cost to the area for yields, but cellphones have made sensor tech rapidly advance.

You just use a trailing edge process for FF and reap the gains after a few years (why BSI took a while to get to FF)