Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Aaaand of course having issues with the Leica app not wanting to connect to the camera ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Aaaand of course having issues with the Leica app not wanting to connect to the camera ugh

At least on my Q2M, it can be stubborn. Have to hit “join network” a couple times on my phone.

Is yours just outright refusing to connect?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's only been connecting if I start the whole initial connection process over with scanning the code and everything, then after that it won't connect.

Guess I'm gonna have to look into it more to see if it's common or if I'm doing something wrong. Wish it was bluetooth instead of wifi.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

It's only been connecting if I start the whole initial connection process over with scanning the code and everything, then after that it won't connect.

Guess I'm gonna have to look into it more to see if it's common or if I'm doing something wrong. Wish it was bluetooth instead of wifi.

Wild guess - is it on the latest firmware?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh good point I need to check

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have yet to experience a camera app that consistently works.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the sony connect one has worked pretty well for me, can only remember one time it crapped out. i just transfer jpgs to my phone for sharing on occasion, so that may not be super rigorous

the design is still hot garbage though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the conectivity between my canon and my iphone is utter dogshit

it's worse than the IR remote on my 7D, at least that worked at all at more than 4 metere

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
yah, i havent found any device, be it camera, snake camera, whatever, that works well paired to a phone. even my earbuds which sound awesome drop out from time to time for no reason. you would think someone would ditch bluetooth and reverse wifi for this poo poo and come up with some 100% reliable way to link devices by now instead of using 20 year old tech.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol if my camera using wifi to my phone was 10% as reliable as my bluetooth headphones I would be far happuer

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah right, I don't think I've ever had an issue with any bluetooth devices.

Are all the newer Leica cameras still wifi too? I mean mine is kinda old but still...

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
They use Bluetooth to initiate a Wi-Fi connection.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

They’ll all largely be using Wi-Fi specifically for data transfer. Bluetooth is primarily a communications protocol, not a data transfer protocol. Wi-Fi is a better fit.

Definitely wouldn’t want to transfer my 80+ MB DNG’s from the Q2M over Bluetooth lol.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Just get an SD card reader for your phone and be done with it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The M11 has a usb-c port and comes with a usb-c to lightning cable. If you plug it into your phone, it launches the app automatically and gives you a very stable connection.

It’s slow over lighting, because lightning sucks, but if you’re using a device with usb-c, it’s faster.

I think plugging in also registers the device for wireless use for a slightly quicker initial pairing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

rufius posted:

Definitely wouldn’t want to transfer my 80+ MB DNG’s from the Q2M over Bluetooth lol.

Oh yeah lol, didn't even think about that I'm a dumbass :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The original Sony app needed a wizard with several incantations every time I wanted to connect or reconnect because I touched something, but I haven't had any issues with Imaging Edge since I switched over to it, with either my old NEX-6 or my new A7C

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tk posted:

I want to use my phone to control my camera, it fails miserably past like 3 meters and even before then it's dodgy

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
In my experience the Fuji app works fairly reliably most of the time, but then abjectly refuses to acknowledge the camera exists 1 time in 20.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

rolleyes posted:

In my experience the Fuji app works fairly reliably most of the time, but then abjectly refuses to acknowledge the camera exists 1 time in 20.

Me right now. I suspect I'll have to do some dance of uninstalling the camera/phone respectively to get them to see each other again. It works ok when it works and is an entire exercise in frustration when it doesn't.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I’ve learned that the Fuji app connects for me reliably, so long as I remember the *exact* sequence of clicking all the dumb buttons correctly. Which I remember roughly 10% of the time

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

I want to use my phone to control my camera, it fails miserably past like 3 meters and even before then it's dodgy

If you just want shutter release there are good solutions for that.

But if you want to reliably do stuff, I think you’re stuck corded to a laptop with some open source software that you figured out how not to upset.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

tk posted:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I put my X100 up for sale on FB and people keep messaging me thinking it's a V and still trying to lowball me lol

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
You get more for selling privately but god drat is it annoying.
" Can I offer you X?"

If I wanted offers I would have put that as an option.
I actually once cancelled a win out of spite because the winner had spammed me with dozens of low balls even after repeatedly telling them I won't accept offers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's funny because they think they are getting such an awesome deal on a X100V then it's like lets try to push it anyway and see how much we can lowball him on this incredible deal, then realizing it's "just" a regular X100, and then somehow I'm the rear end in a top hat because they didn't even read the drat title of the add :v:

I would love it if some dipshit bought it for asking price thinking it was a great deal on a V and then didn't figure it out until he got it home.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

It's funny because they think they are getting such an awesome deal on a X100V then it's like lets try to push it anyway and see how much we can lowball him on this incredible deal, then realizing it's "just" a regular X100, and then somehow I'm the rear end in a top hat because they didn't even read the drat title of the add :v:

I would love it if some dipshit bought it for asking price thinking it was a great deal on a V and then didn't figure it out until he got it home.

If you want to play hardball, include in the ad "Any message that doesn't open with 'I understand this is not an X100V'" will be ignored.

I need to sell my 100F soon but am probably going to limit myself to local marketplace, judging by posts in the Fuji Australia group the X100V is like catnip for scammers, I reckon the F would probably not be too far behind.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I had so much trouble trying to sell an x100t in Melbourne at a super reasonable price (600), almost half of what some were putting up for. People low balling me, setting up a meeting time at my place then asking me last minute if I’d drive over an hour to deliver it for free. Tire kicking some small scratches on the baseplate and offering me 300 after I’d already agreed to 500.

I was gonna out up my x-s10 as well, but I don’t think I can go through that bs again without cracking the shits.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ethics_Gradient posted:

If you want to play hardball, include in the ad "Any message that doesn't open with 'I understand this is not an X100V'" will be ignored.

I need to sell my 100F soon but am probably going to limit myself to local marketplace, judging by posts in the Fuji Australia group the X100V is like catnip for scammers, I reckon the F would probably not be too far behind.

I initially had a couple of scammers messaging me, but once it was up for a couple of days it stopped. Seems to be that way with most stuff I put up for sale lately, just expect it to happen right away and it's not a big deal as long as it stops relatively soon.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I sold my dad’s like new X100F for him on eBay and had to block some idiots asking for offline sales, as well as a scam third party message asking me to ship to a different address than the payer submitted after the auction ended. I’ve sold camera gear before without this many people trying to get in on it, so these cameras certainly attract grifters.

That said, it sold for $1200 and he bought it for that same price on clearance at Best Buy in 2020 before they became super trendy. The markup is nuts.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

You get more for selling privately but god drat is it annoying.
" Can I offer you X?"

If I wanted offers I would have put that as an option.
I actually once cancelled a win out of spite because the winner had spammed me with dozens of low balls even after repeatedly telling them I won't accept offers.

I am the worst negotiator / haggler. If I see something I'm interested in owning, I'll look at other sales first to make sure it is comparable. Then I'll think about it for 5 minutes "yeah/no it is/isn't worth that much to me" and I'll just buy it. I bought a XF 70-300 from a guy on CL for what I thought was a good price, and he held it for me 10 days (I was traveling) just because I told him if it was in good shape I'd buy it at asking. When I met up w/ him he told me I was the only person who responded not low-balling.

I did the same for a guitar last year, and an amp a few back. People always seem surprised so I know they've priced high expecting to come down, but I just don't have it in me to haggle.

But that's kept me from selling a lot of my own junk. I have a closet full of old video game stuff I want to put on SA. I read the similar threads, and they always follow a pattern of "NES game X for sale, $50" and the response is "How much for X?"

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
My X-T20 which I thought was in really good shape was severely downgraded by MPB but gently caress it, it’s easier than the hassle of trying to sell it online.

I did get the X-T4 in today which I was surprised since I just got the free shipping. Unfortunately I have to work so I haven’t gotten to mess with it other than charging it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I got lowballed by KEH even worse lol

I'll give MPB credit as a seller tho, When I bought my camera from them it was rated as "well used" and priced accordingly, and when I received it the drat thing was flawless. I don't know if they made a mistake somewhere or anything but I was pretty psyched about that.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Maybe I should give MPB another try. Everyone has good experiences, it seems. I did not, but apparently it was when they were switching warehouses or something so they were a little bit messed up.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The only issue I had with MPB was that I bought a used lens that I decided I didn't want to keep. It took them just about 1 month to refund the money back into my account. It only took 2 days for them to get the item back. They apologized and said covid delays etc etc. I would definitely still use them, but just set expectations appropriately.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well I finally sold it for a very reasonable price, buyer was a pilot that wanted a rangefinder for travel, super cool guy and a camera nerd like me.

Also sold my old 20D for 50 bucks that KEH wanted to give me 11 dollars for lol

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How's the Fujinon XF 55-200 OIS lens? looks like it's at the same tier as the excellent XF 18-55 OIS. I can't afford the fast telephoto (50-140) so this would be the next best thing. Might want to do sports shooting soon

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Lily Catts posted:

How's the Fujinon XF 55-200 OIS lens? looks like it's at the same tier as the excellent XF 18-55 OIS. I can't afford the fast telephoto (50-140) so this would be the next best thing. Might want to do sports shooting soon

It's very good, but most people consider the newer 70-300 to be a better buy, since it's roughly the same price and provides an extra 100mm on the long end (which is what you generally want from a telephoto zoom, instead of the extra 15mm on the wide end).

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I rented the 70-300 last year for a Florida vacation and enjoyed it very much on my X-T30. Snappy, lightweight, smooth zoom. This isn’t a great shot as I wasn’t prepared for the eagle to come out of nowhere, but it’s a photo from the lens that I have on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

runawayturtles posted:

It's very good, but most people consider the newer 70-300 to be a better buy, since it's roughly the same price and provides an extra 100mm on the long end (which is what you generally want from a telephoto zoom, instead of the extra 15mm on the wide end).

I picked up the 70-300 last month used. I'm a little puzzled because it's been beating the pants off my 16-80 for general sharpness. So I'm super happy with the 70-300 but wondering wtf I'm doing wrong with the 16-80, same lighting conditions, same targets, really.