Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
My GF1 u4/3rds kit has seen little use since I got my 5D, but gently caress that OM-D and the fact that I already have the 7-14 makes me want to try to sink money into two systems at the same time. Bad idea, or the baddest idea?

Do you have any experience with pro DSLRs and therefore the ability to compare the AF speed between the two? Is the OM-D snappy enough to shoot, for instance, a soccer game at night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Do you have any experience with pro DSLRs and therefore the ability to compare the AF speed between the two? Is the OM-D snappy enough to shoot, for instance, a soccer game at night?

Olympus claims that the AF on the OM-D is one of the fastest on the market. And if this video is any indicator, they're probably correct in that.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Fuuuuck I'm gonna end up buying into two systems at once. Again.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
Yeah, the AF is crazy good, definitely faster than my E-3 (Olympus "Pro" DSLR). That's what makes the touch screen focussing actually worthwhile, because you point at something, and it'll focus on it and snap the picture right away before the object even moves out of focus.

Be warned though that the super fast AF only works with actual m4/3 lenses.

I tried out some of my 4/3 gear on it, and while I think it is actually faster than it was on a 4/3 body, it is certainly not as quick as the proper m4/3 lenses.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

You're almost making me regret my NEX-7 purchase, LonLon! (and hello! :) ) I'd also kill to have the equivalent of the u4/3 14-50 lenses.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 1, 2012

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Are there any fast telephotos for m4:3 yet? Amazon's listings are all variable aperture f4-5.6 types from what I can see.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

moonduck posted:

Olympus claims that the AF on the OM-D is one of the fastest on the market. And if this video is any indicator, they're probably correct in that.

Keep in mind that's in single AF, I don't know about the OM-D's performance specifically but for contrast-detect AF in general continuous is supposed to be significantly worse.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Are there any fast telephotos for m4:3 yet? Amazon's listings are all variable aperture f4-5.6 types from what I can see.

Olympus has a 4/3 35-100 f/2.8 that people rave about. It is, however, in the same cost stratosphere (or close to) as its 35mm equivalents from Canon and Nikon. And again, it's built for 4/3, not m4/3.

I do believe that Panasonic is releasing both a 12-35 f/2.8 and a 35-100 f/2.8 sometime this year. They announced them a few months ago, at any rate.

edit- they were announced as "concept lenses" and apparently the 2.8 aperture isn't set in stone.

moonduck fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 1, 2012

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Beastruction posted:

Keep in mind that's in single AF, I don't know about the OM-D's performance specifically but for contrast-detect AF in general continuous is supposed to be significantly worse.
That is still significantly faster than my NEX-7 and at least as fast as my old Canon XSi DSLR. (and yes continuous focus is next to useless on contrast AF I think)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I am behind the times, but in case this is useful to anyone I might as well share the info.

I had held off on updating the firmware of my NEX 5N because the official description did not really emphasize that there is quite a nice improvement with autofocus speed - all around, not just dealing with moving subject distances as they stated. So, post trip report, there is a very nice increase in focus speed. Easy upgrade, and worth it.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I'm in a holding pattern for native u43 lenses until Tamron and Tokina's offerings are announced. Hopefully, they'll be unique and not just a mount swap of something currently in production.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Got word today that the E-M5 should show up in about two weeks here in Sweden. Very excited about this camera; the image quality seems pretty stunning for a 4/3 sensor (I thought the GX1 was quite impressive and this one bests it), and with the 12-50 you have a hell of a useful travel/hiking camera with weathersealing.

Also, while I was initially anti-EVF I have shot a bunch in Liveview with the 7D lately and I am starting to see the charm in the WYSIWYG approach, where you can apply effects and exposure adjustments and really see the final image right when you push the shutter. I can see this being especially nice when shooting monochrome.

Yes, I know, welcome to five years ago. But I still think it's cool.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Just found out about this:

What was the crop factor on the Q again?

I've got some FD mount lenses, what's the best system to shoot them with, I heard people talking about NEX?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have a few FD lenses that I put on my NEX. Definitely a cheap option for f1.4 or f2 depending on focal point, but I only ended up going through the FD route because I had old Canon lenses to begin with. Also, some 20 year old tried to convince me that FD lenses would not resolve properly on the NEX "7N" sensor , so you might want to take that into consideration.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

longview posted:

Just found out about this:

What was the crop factor on the Q again?

I've got some FD mount lenses, what's the best system to shoot them with, I heard people talking about NEX?

The crop factor is 5.62 according to Wikipedia. So if you put your 135mm Pentax K lens in front of that you have 758mm at f/2.5! :haw:

In all seriousness I'm not sure if even the center sweet spot of such a lens could provide the resolution needed for such a small sensor.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

VomitOnLino posted:

The crop factor is 5.62 according to Wikipedia. So if you put your 135mm Pentax K lens in front of that you have 758mm at f/2.5! :haw:

In all seriousness I'm not sure if even the center sweet spot of such a lens could provide the resolution needed for such a small sensor.

Check out this thread on FM where a poster puts a zeiss wide angle on a Q. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1098001/0

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I want to shoot a concert from the cheap seats with a Pentax Q and an 85mm f/1.8.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mightaswell posted:

Check out this thread on FM where a poster puts a zeiss wide angle on a Q. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1098001/0

Hah, you beat me to it. The Q really shows that we can push some crazy high MP cameras with current high end lenses.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Shmoogy posted:

Hah, you beat me to it. The Q really shows that we can push some crazy high MP cameras with current high end lenses.

Except that it looks like diffraction is setting in by f/8, which is really kind of awful.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Is anyone getting the X-Pro1 in this thread? It's in stock on Amazon, and while still overpriced as hell, it looks like it has potential.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

moonduck posted:

Except that it looks like diffraction is setting in by f/8, which is really kind of awful.

True. But I meant with regards to resolving power.

Uncle Ivan posted:

Is anyone getting the X-Pro1 in this thread? It's in stock on Amazon, and while still overpriced as hell, it looks like it has potential.

The Fuji X100 was one of my favorite cameras to ever use, but the little problems that it had, especially the focus system and it's inconsistencies, will make me wait for the next revision-- they have improved the system already quite a bit. Or maybe when the Xpro1 prices fall, I would gladly try it out for $1200-$1500- but $2400 for the system and 35mm lens is a bit much right now.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Uncle Ivan posted:

Probably, I'm pretty retarded. It would have been a day one purchase if it had a leaf shutter.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Uncle Ivan posted:

Mine is on the truck and headed my way along with a couple of lenses. I'm looking forward to shooting with it. As far as little quirks and annoyances, every camera I've really loved has had them, I can learn to get what I want out of it.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

dpreview has a "first impressions" review up of the x-pro 1 (what a stupid name)

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6126592906/first-impressions-using-the-fujifilm-x-pro1/

Pretty similar conclusion to the X100, excellent image quality, slow focus, useless manual focus, and some quirkiness.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Also firmware 1.21 update is allegedly out tomorrow to fix Fuji breaking AF assisted manual focus on the X100. I've been using the autofocus lock set to "toggle" as a workaround and like the results but it's still a boneheaded thing. Maybe this will shake things up over there and highlight the need for more dedicated testing and development of firmware.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Got a Holga lens in NEX mount. It's 25mm f/8. It's fun.

jwvgoethe
Jan 17, 2011
hey guys,

popping in here to say that I jumped on a Nex 7 today and also ordered the LA-EA2. I'm looking for lenses that aren't going to limit the resolving power of the sensor.

Any ideas?

I have an Olympus zuiko 28 1.8, a Olympus zuiko 50 1.8, a canon FD 50 1.4, a canon FD 85 1.8, a Minolta 135 2.8, a Minolta Beercan, and a Tamron 17-50.

Any ideas? Can cheap and good be used in the same sentence if we are talking old manual focus lenses?

Thanks folks, best regards

p.s. are all the E mount lenses a wash except for the zeiss?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

jwvgoethe posted:

hey guys,

popping in here to say that I jumped on a Nex 7 today and also ordered the LA-EA2. I'm looking for lenses that aren't going to limit the resolving power of the sensor.

Any ideas?

I have an Olympus zuiko 28 1.8, a Olympus zuiko 50 1.8, a canon FD 50 1.4, a canon FD 85 1.8, a Minolta 135 2.8, a Minolta Beercan, and a Tamron 17-50.

Any ideas? Can cheap and good be used in the same sentence if we are talking old manual focus lenses?

Thanks folks, best regards

p.s. are all the E mount lenses a wash except for the zeiss?
The 50mm 1.8 is sharp, the rest are a wash so far if you're looking to take advantage of 24mp. Regardless I've stuck with them (esp the 16mm pancake) for the size. I'm waiting for a real good 17-50 E-mount that's sized appropriately. (they exist for micro 4/3rds so I figure it's a matter of time)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The lens situation is seriously holding me back from picking up a 5N. Like you said, a solid general purpose would be amazing. Hell, I'd love a great fast 35mm equivalent (that isn't priced like the Zeiss) as well.

bloops fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 5, 2012

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I've been thinking of picking up the SLR Magic 28/2.8 even though it's all manual, since at least it's actually NEX-sized unlike anything on an adapter.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I know Sigma has 19mm and 30mm f/2.8 NEX lenses coming out very soon, assuming they aren't already available. I saw some sample images from the 30mm f/2.8 and it looked really nice.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Got my overpriced and underperforming X-Pro 1 today.
I love it, it's my dream camera.

Does anyone want to buy a well-used 5D2?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How's the AF?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HeyEng posted:

How's the AF?

And not just in well lit high contrast areas, but some low light close subjects too. I'm eventually going to probably pick one up within the year.., I just know it.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

HeyEng posted:

How's the AF?

Seems as fast as my 5D2 using L glass. About the same as my E-P2 was and way better than the X-100 was a year ago and it seems to actually be in focus when it says it has a lock. So, plenty snappy for me. I never shoot sports or moving subjects, but this isn't really the gear for that.

Shmoogy posted:

And not just in well lit high contrast areas, but some low light close subjects too. I'm eventually going to probably pick one up within the year.., I just know it.

Slower of course, but I haven't run into a lot of "hunting". I don't have the 60mm macro yet but I'd expect it will hunt just like any other AF macro I've ever used.

RustedChrome fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 5, 2012

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

RustedChrome posted:

Seems as fast as my 5D2 using L glass. About the same as my E-P2 was and way better than the X-100 was a year ago and it seems to actually be in focus when it says it has a lock. So, plenty snappy for me. I never shoot sports or moving subjects, but this isn't really the gear for that.

Right. I just read the Steve Huff review. He more or less blasted the speed of it in anything that wasn't a sunny day.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

HeyEng posted:

Right. I just read the Steve Huff review. He more or less blasted the speed of it in anything that wasn't a sunny day.

Steve Huff is a loving hack and fanboy who only seems to like a camera based on how hard the marketing dept. brown-noses him. Also he's a mediocre photographer. I used to read his blog daily but he's really turned into another Ken Rockwell in the last year or two. I haven't even read his X-Pro "review" but it was things he's written about other cameras that turned me away from him.

Sorry for the rant but that guy... :argh:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

RustedChrome posted:

Steve Huff is a loving hack and fanboy who only seems to like a camera based on how hard the marketing dept. brown-noses him. Also he's a mediocre photographer. I used to read his blog daily but he's really turned into another Ken Rockwell in the last year or two. I haven't even read his X-Pro "review" but it was things he's written about other cameras that turned me away from him.

Sorry for the rant but that guy... :argh:

Nah, you're kinda right on. He has a similar tone.

Anyhow, the low-light AF is what I'm curious about.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
I only know of Huff by name but I was caught off guard by the part of his review where he was complaining about the 20 second start up times on the X-Pro 1 and X100 after inserting the cards into his Mac. Yeah, it's stupid that Fuji's cameras poo poo the bed when an Apple product writes thumbnails to the card or whatever is going on but within 30 minutes of sticking the card into an iPad I had worked out that I should set the write protect tab to prevent this from happening in the future.

If he can't reason his way through that it makes me put him on an entirely different aptitude scale with regards to his review. Like those people in commercials who struggle with a mop or attempt to cut vegetables and their hair catches on fire. I have to wonder if he is trying to autofocus on edges like a phase detect camera prefers or if he has the corrected AF frame on. (X100 defaults this to off, does the X-Pro 1?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I have never run into this delayed startup thing with my X-100 or X-Pro1 and I use Macs and iPad exclusively, weird.

I did find that if I remove the card from my Mac without properly ejecting it, the X-100 will sometimes not read the card at all.

And yes, the X-Pro1 defaults to "off" for the corrected AF framelines.