Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
drat sexy looking! My GX85 gets here tomorrow - lots of the choices I was thinking about. The 15, 25, 42.5 F1.7 set looks so great. I love that they are all vaguely the same size. Interestingly, it seems the cost of the 25mm went back up to 250 from 150 everywhere? Maybe some promotion just expired. Good work getting it before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

cheese posted:

drat sexy looking! My GX85 gets here tomorrow - lots of the choices I was thinking about. The 15, 25, 42.5 F1.7 set looks so great. I love that they are all vaguely the same size. Interestingly, it seems the cost of the 25mm went back up to 250 from 150 everywhere? Maybe some promotion just expired. Good work getting it before that.

Ouch if the price went back up, it was on promotion for a long time. I'd have to think hard about the 25 vs the 20 on a body as small as the gx85 if the prices are a lot closer.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Speaking of the 15mm summilux, if anyone else is interested, I'll put a post up in the buy and sell thread for mine this weekend. It would be easier if you're in Canada, otherwise shipping would be costlier. The $400 USD used price tag may have finally motivated me to sell mine.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Don't forget that you can also use Olympus lenses! The 25mm and 45mm 1.8 are fantastic and the 45mm will almost certainly be cheaper than the 42.5mm.

Also: Welcome to the GX85 club! I love mine.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah, I did a lot of reading and ended up where I did for the following reasons, several of which might be considered silly by others. The Olympus 1.8 line (as well as the Oly 12mm 2.0) are highly regarded lenses that have been out longer and so can be had on the used market for less, sometimes a good bit less.

I have a new baby, and am very much an amateur, so my style of shooting is "the kid, portraits of my wife with the kid, and Street shooting"

1. 15mm 1.7 vs 17mm 1.8 (vs 20mm 1.7) - my goal was for everything to fit in a very small bag, and to keep my total lens count as low as possible without feeling like it was an artificial restriction. I was able to make an offer to an eBay seller who's auction had no bids and he accepted my $400 offer (usually they go for like $450). The 17mm goes for about $110 less, and the 20mm mk2 goes for around $270. If I didn't already own the 25mm 1.7 I would have considered just the 20 and the 42.5, but I did want something as wide as reasonable for that end of the spectrum, and I already had the 25 (and I really liked the idea of the aperture ring).

2. 25mm 1.7 vs 25mm 1.8 - when the Panasonic 1.7 is on sale it is hard to beat value wise, it's the first lens I bought to use when shooting with my wife's G85, so that decision had already been made. Used the Olympus goes for around 140.

3. 42.5 1.7 vs 45mm 1.8 - the Panasonic has Mega OIS and the gx85 supports dual IS. I paid the extra $125 for that feature and aesthetics. The 42.5 used sells for almost the same as new when Panasonic is running a discount (it was $350 when I bought it)

Aesthetics also played in to my decisions, I like the simplest black aesthetic of the Panasonic lenses over the rings and stepping of the Olympus ones. Also the fact that Panasonic includes lens hoods and Oly doesn't hasn't been factored into the discussion above, and would bring the prices closer together.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Helen Highwater posted:

My friend bought the GF7 and came over with it because the manual is only in English and Panasonic don't offer a Slovak or Czech menu option. My thoughts on playing with it for a bit.

It's tiny. Really, really small. I was afraid I might accidentally swallow it when she handed it to me. I have some half-frame cameras that are beefier than that thing.

The controls are not as intuitive for someone who's used to a DSLR or manual cameras as the Olympus OM-Something that I played with for an afternoon. I found myself figuring out how to change something in manual mode and then getting frustrated when I couldn't repeat it a minute or two later.

The image quality from the 12-32 kit lens is not going to get gasps of admiration from committed pixel-peepers, but for people who publish 100% of their work as web content, it's entirely fine. Autofocus was fast enough, the EVF is responsive and there was no appreciable difference in sharpness at different zoom levels. Manual focus would have been nice but the EVF is fine as long as you aren't navigating a lot of occluding detail between you and your focus point.
I’ve been thinking of getting something similar as a casual second minimal/light body, GX850 (aka GX800/GF9) being the newest one. I probably wouldn’t bother with full manual mode because the controls, but probably use one of the priority modes a decent amount. The dial thing on the GF7 looks similar to the GX850, been curious how that thing feels and if it’d be ok enough for the usage I’m mentioning. Like just set whatever shutter or aperture as I shoot, and maybe mess with exposure comp or ISO as needed.

And drat bag and lens chat :argh:, now I have the Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L and Capture in my cart (cause my backpack setup is a bit bulky), and looking at lenses I’m too cheap for. In particular I’ve been wanting a general purpose zoom, which has so far got me looking at the Panny 12-35/2.8 or Olympus' 12-40/2.8, or the 12-60/2.8-4. My current lens 99% of the time (cause my others suck :v:) is the 20/1.7 pancake.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Finger Prince posted:

Speaking of the 15mm summilux, if anyone else is interested, I'll put a post up in the buy and sell thread for mine this weekend. It would be easier if you're in Canada, otherwise shipping would be costlier. The $400 USD used price tag may have finally motivated me to sell mine.
I told myself I would wait, but I'm interested.

GEMorris posted:

I have a new baby, and am very much an amateur, so my style of shooting is "the kid, portraits of my wife with the kid, and Street shooting"
What made you choose the Peak Design Leash? My GX85 got here today and I forgot how hefty it is. Looking at the Slide Lite.

Did yours come with a "body cap"? The only cap that was with mine was the cap for the 12-32 lens.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

cheese posted:

I told myself I would wait, but I'm interested.

What made you choose the Peak Design Leash? My GX85 got here today and I forgot how hefty it is. Looking at the Slide Lite.

Did yours come with a "body cap"? The only cap that was with mine was the cap for the 12-32 lens.

Nope, did not come with a body cap or a rear lens cap, had to scrounge one for my ebay sale and still need to pick up a replacement.

I went with the leash because I bought the slide for my wife's G85 and that thing is way way way too heavy for a mirrorless camera. Figured the leash would made a good strap for the field pouch and if it wasn't wide enough for the gx85 with small prime lenses, then I could get a slide lite later.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Nice kit, HH

GEMorris posted:

Ouch if the price went back up, it was on promotion for a long time. I'd have to think hard about the 25 vs the 20 on a body as small as the gx85 if the prices are a lot closer.

The 20mm pancake was worth the extra for me because it means I can slip my small GF5 into a coat pocket and I use it instead of a P&S.

However, if you are using a bag, then maybe I'd take the cash saving.

japtor posted:

And drat bag and lens chat :argh:, now I have the Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L and Capture in my cart (cause my backpack setup is a bit bulky), and looking at lenses I’m too cheap for. In particular I’ve been wanting a general purpose zoom, which has so far got me looking at the Panny 12-35/2.8 or Olympus' 12-40/2.8, or the 12-60/2.8-4. My current lens 99% of the time (cause my others suck :v:) is the 20/1.7 pancake.

This guy gets it.

Incidentally, for a long time I was very happy using the blue LED 'idiot' mode for far too many casual shots as I was impressed at how well it chose the most appropriate setting.
Then I took it with me to a sunnier country and discovered that this super intelligent mode would always use the widest aperture that the lens would allow. I never noticed this in my gloomy home country where you always needed to do this, but I stopped using it when it hosed up some group shots when it decided that f1.8 and 1/1000 were appropriate combinations (depth of field, what's that?)

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
Camera advice requested.

I have been mostly using old analogue gear during the last few years and the only digital camera I have is an old canon 400D. We have a one year old toddler and getting useful photos of him using vintage gear or mobile phones is just getting too much of a pain, so the wife has been encouraging me lately about acquiring something a bit more suitable. So the usage would be portraits and action photos of our toddler, both outdoors and indoors so not always super well lit but also rarely super dark.
I've been eyeing the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II, with kit lens to begin with and probably a Panasonic AF 25/1,7 G Lumix ASPH later on, but I'd like some confirmation that it'll be useful for what I want to use it for since I'm not sure if the low light capabilities will be good enough? An alternative that I have been mentally entertaining is getting a used Sony A7 kit so that I also can adapt all my old glass and get the same field of view, but that would require a bit more financially so I'm not sure it would be worth it.

tl;dr
I have a toddler, decades old gear is causing me issues, recommend be something that has a reasonable good low light capabilities and autofocus for toddlershooting. Based in Sweden but price point would be in the range of a Olympus OM-D E-M10 II kit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MadlabsRobot posted:

Camera advice requested.

I have been mostly using old analogue gear during the last few years and the only digital camera I have is an old canon 400D. We have a one year old toddler and getting useful photos of him using vintage gear or mobile phones is just getting too much of a pain, so the wife has been encouraging me lately about acquiring something a bit more suitable. So the usage would be portraits and action photos of our toddler, both outdoors and indoors so not always super well lit but also rarely super dark.
I've been eyeing the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II, with kit lens to begin with and probably a Panasonic AF 25/1,7 G Lumix ASPH later on, but I'd like some confirmation that it'll be useful for what I want to use it for since I'm not sure if the low light capabilities will be good enough? An alternative that I have been mentally entertaining is getting a used Sony A7 kit so that I also can adapt all my old glass and get the same field of view, but that would require a bit more financially so I'm not sure it would be worth it.

tl;dr
I have a toddler, decades old gear is causing me issues, recommend be something that has a reasonable good low light capabilities and autofocus for toddlershooting. Based in Sweden but price point would be in the range of a Olympus OM-D E-M10 II kit.

Olympus and the m4/3 mount has a ton of fast glass available that's going to do just fine in low light. Those panasonic lenses are good, and basically any Olympus prime at f/1.8 or faster is both fantastic and easily found used or refurbished for not much money.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

I’ve been thinking of getting something similar as a casual second minimal/light body, GX850 (aka GX800/GF9) being the newest one. I probably wouldn’t bother with full manual mode because the controls, but probably use one of the priority modes a decent amount. The dial thing on the GF7 looks similar to the GX850, been curious how that thing feels and if it’d be ok enough for the usage I’m mentioning. Like just set whatever shutter or aperture as I shoot, and maybe mess with exposure comp or ISO as needed.
In my limited experience with the camera (we just shot a few test pictures around my apartment to demonstrate things like DoF and focus selection), the priority modes seem to do just fine. I was quite impressed that the EVF shows you what the current automatic setting would be for the other part - so if you have it in shutter priority mode, as you change the shutter speed, there's a second range shown just above that tells you what the aperture is going to be under current light. I think full manual would be a pain in the rear end because of the slightly fussy physical controls but the priority modes are very easy to use.

As for how it feels, it's an adjustment if you are coming from DSLR land, or even from manual film cameras. The tiny physical size and low weight of the thing is disconcerting at first. The kit lens is very small and light and only has a zoom ring, there's no manual focus or aperture ring on it. I found myself using the 'Contax grip' as a way to get my fingers in roughly the right place to operate the controls easily due to how close together everything is. Like I said though, if you are using a priority mode, rapid access to the controls is not so critical.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

MadlabsRobot posted:

tl;dr

I think you are on the right track. I'm not sure about sweedish camera prices but the gx-80 (the name in your market) should be about the same price, maybe a little more. The Panasonic will get you a less confusing menu system and faster autofocusing, although the e-m10 is no slouch in that department. The big diff is 4k video with the Panasonic.

Lots of good cheap lenses available, especially primes, or I think you can adapt your old glass with a speed booster?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

MadlabsRobot posted:

Camera advice requested.

Just echoing what the others said, but I want to share that I used the Panasonic 20/1.7 with my em10mki, and while image quality was great and autofocus perfectly serviceable, there was no doubt that using an Olympus prime like the 17/1.8 would have given me better focus speed. I don't know how other/newer Panasonic lenses would've performed on my Olympus camera, (probably better), but if you're taking kid pictures and speed of focus acquisition of a top priority, do consider the Oly 25mm lens if you go with any E-M10.

Oly skin tones are nice, btw. My E-M10 could struggle with overcast outdoor color balance, but the newer marks might have better ooc results. People pics always turned out nice though.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

MadlabsRobot posted:

Camera advice requested.

tl;dr

My OMD EM5 (older than the EM10) with two primes has been wonderful. I have been debating adding either 12-40 or 12-100 because, but would probably be better served with the 12, 25, or 75.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GEMorris posted:

I think you are on the right track. I'm not sure about sweedish camera prices but the gx-80 (the name in your market) should be about the same price, maybe a little more. The Panasonic will get you a less confusing menu system and faster autofocusing, although the e-m10 is no slouch in that department. The big diff is 4k video with the Panasonic.

Lots of good cheap lenses available, especially primes, or I think you can adapt your old glass with a speed booster?

Yes, I've been looking at the GX80 as well, and it is actually somewhat cheaper then the Olympus here. I just realized that I can get a kit with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX80 + 12-32/3.5-5.6 OIS + Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150/4-5.6 R ED for almost exactly the same price as a Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II + M.Zuiko 14-42 EZ, Silver, which seems interesting. Although I have no idea how good any of those lenses, or combinations of lenses and cameras, are. :confused:

As I understand it though, the GX80 only has a 2-axis stabilisation, compared to a 5-axis stabilisation in the E-M10. Since I've never used anything with stabilisation, would the 5-axis stabilisation be something I'd miss or is that mostly useful for stationary objects where I could just as well use a tripod?

My interest in the E-M10 is to some extent based on my preference for the retro SLR-styling and my doubts concerning the rangefinder styling of the GX80, since I'm used to sticking the camera straight into my face rather then somewhat to the side... But if the difference in stabilisation is negligible then I think I could most definitely live with the rangefinder styling of the GX80.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
The GX80 is "5-axis" the 2 axis is in some Pana G Lenses and is in addition to the inbody 5axis.

No real use for a toddler in low light though.

The kit lenses you posted arent particularly great. They will get you up and running, but you'll want to move to something else no doubt.

What I have found useful for photographing a toddler with a GX80 is my Godox TT350 flash bouncing off the ceiling. The super cheap Pana 25mm F1.7 is pretty much always on my camera.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

MeKeV posted:

The GX80 is "5-axis" the 2 axis is in some Pana G Lenses and is in addition to the inbody 5axis.

No real use for a toddler in low light though.

The kit lenses you posted arent particularly great. They will get you up and running, but you'll want to move to something else no doubt.

What I have found useful for photographing a toddler with a GX80 is my Godox TT350 flash bouncing off the ceiling. The super cheap Pana 25mm F1.7 is pretty much always on my camera.

Seconding all this ( I have the godox flash as well as the godox transmitter for off camera flash work, and it's a great and affordable setup).

I want to just mention that both of those kit zooms that come with the gx-80 are great for selling on eBay. I missed the window for the 40-150 offer here in the us, but that would have fetched an additional $150 on eBay and basically paid for my 25mm 1.7

MadlabsRobot, if retro styling is important than the OMD is going to hit that more than the silver gx-80 (The most retro looking Panasonic).

Quick question tho, do you focus with your right eye or your left eye? I'm a right eye focuser and I really like the rangefinder evf location because of that. With a touchscreen lcd, using my wife's G85 with a central evf, my nose will often move the focus accidentally, whereas the rangefinder let's me keep the touchscreen lcd completely away from my face.

Also, the gx-80/85 has 5 axis ibis and dual is 1 (the GH5, G85, and g9 have dual is 2). 2axis ibis was on the gx7 and the gx85 had 4 axis iirc

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 25, 2018

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GEMorris posted:

Seconding all this ( I have the godox flash as well as the godox transmitter for off camera flash work, and it's a great and affordable setup).

I want to just mention that both of those kit zooms that come with the gx-80 are great for selling on eBay. I missed the window for the 40-150 offer here in the us, but that would have fetched an additional $150 on eBay and basically paid for my 25mm 1.7

MadlabsRobot, if retro styling is important than the OMD is going to hit that more than the silver gx-80 (The most retro looking Panasonic).

Quick question tho, do you focus with your right eye or your left eye? I'm a right eye focuser and I really like the rangefinder evf location because of that. With a touchscreen lcd, using my wife's G85 with a central evf, my nose will often move the focus accidentally, whereas the rangefinder let's me keep the touchscreen lcd completely away from my face.

Also, the gx-80/85 has 5 axis ibis and dual is 1 (the GH5, G85, and g9 have dual is 2). 2axis ibis was on the gx7 and the gx85 had 4 axis iirc

Right eye dominant. I hadn't even considered that I'd be showing my greasy nose up against a touchscreen, goes to prove how far behind the times I am...

Retro styling isn't that important, the smaller form factor of the GX80 might also encourage my wife to use it more, and it will probably be more confortable to carry around when I'm travelling.

As I understand it the gx80 also has a few more bells and whistles as well so I think I'm going to call it a day and just go for it before my GAS anxiety paralyses me completely.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Is there a 50mm equivalent lens in the M43 world that is decently-priced, but doesn't suffer from the overly-sharp look that modern lenses seem to have? Hopefully this makes sense but I'm just getting bored of lenses that are out to please the pixel-peepers and just emphasize sharpness sharpness SHARPNESS :byodood:.

For example, I have a Nikon AIS 50mm (100mm equivalent) and it offers a vintage-y, almost dreamy look that I really love. But it's too punched in. I'd just like to have a 50mm equivalent lens that has a bit more character and uniqueness to it. I just want a nice walkaround lens that doesn't cater to the damned pixel-peeper crowd. Maybe I'm better off looking at old manual lenses, but they all seem to get impacted by the M43's 2x crop factor by turning them all into portrait lenses.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 2, 2018

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
You could try to use an old 35mm lens with a speedbooster, at least with that combo too much sharpness won't be a problem :haw:.

I think the Oly 17mm 2.8 is a bit soft. It's a 35mm equivalent but I don't know of a similar 25mm lens.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
SLR Magic, 7Artisans, or one of the other new cheap-ish chinese wide aperture primes.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

28mm on M43 should give you 56mm eFOV, which is close-ish? Don't know any specific ones off the top of my head but I imagine 28mm lenses abound

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

powderific posted:

SLR Magic, 7Artisans, or one of the other new cheap-ish chinese wide aperture primes.

This, unless your special look is more related to the age and condition of the lens than its design and quality of manufacture, in which case you can just take one of the new first-party 25s and impel the scrapings from a used A/C intake filter into it. (Works best with lenses that aren't weather-resistant.)

More seriously, you can have old lenses that produce strong contrast and saturation (Hasselblad-era Zeiss), 'old' lenses that have softer rendering (but could still have great sharpness and flare suppression like the Mamiya 7 lenses), un-sharp stuff (early Nikon zooms), and decent lenses of all kinds that have been used hard and taken on haze or dust. Any of these sorts of characteristics could be the origin of that special look that you see from an old Nikon 50... except for the first, I guess.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

melon cat posted:

... but I'm just getting bored of lenses that are out to please the pixel-peepers and just emphasize sharpness sharpness SHARPNESS :byodood:.

The ridiculously cheap comedy route:

Go get a C mount to M43 adapter and go crazy with $20-200 C mount cheapy chinese CCTV through high quality Ricoh and Fuji lenses.

Every single $20 CCTV lens you own will have it's own broken rear end quirk. I had about a dozen 35mm CCTV lenses for portraits that had everything from light leaks to gradient hue shifts from bad coating work.

The name brand stuff is genuinely good but weird in general. I gave all that poo poo away when I left Japan to the guy who received my Nikon 1 V3 since I never bothered buying Nikon 1 lenses, but I used them on M43 extensively and the wide angles 35mm or wider always covered the whole frame.

The realistically sound route:

Buy an M mount adapter and start buying the Voigtlander Classic line. They have a bunch of ultrawides. Most of the classic line is quite flattering to varied skin tones and not quite so sharp. They also have some Single Coat lenses in their lineup that are very low contrast.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you are going to adopt a Voigtlander lens, get an APS body. The corners have too much purple poo poo if you shoot it on a sony FF body.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

melon cat posted:

Is there a 50mm equivalent lens in the M43 world that is decently-priced, but doesn't suffer from the overly-sharp look that modern lenses seem to have? Hopefully this makes sense but I'm just getting bored of lenses that are out to please the pixel-peepers and just emphasize sharpness sharpness SHARPNESS :byodood:.

For example, I have a Nikon AIS 50mm (100mm equivalent) and it offers a vintage-y, almost dreamy look that I really love. But it's too punched in. I'd just like to have a 50mm equivalent lens that has a bit more character and uniqueness to it. I just want a nice walkaround lens that doesn't cater to the damned pixel-peeper crowd. Maybe I'm better off looking at old manual lenses, but they all seem to get impacted by the M43's 2x crop factor by turning them all into portrait lenses.

:iamafag:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
If you don't mind going a bit narrower, the Mir-1B 37mm ƒ/2.8 is quite a nice lens, easy to adapt for µ4/3rds and available for very little money. It's not a bad lens by any means but it's definitely not pixel-peeper gear.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

whatever7 posted:

If you are going to adopt a Voigtlander lens, get an APS body. The corners have too much purple poo poo if you shoot it on a sony FF body.

It's funny that one of the majorly cool things about 'mirrorless' (rangefinder etc) film cameras was their ability to take wide-angle lenses with rear elements that almost touched the film plane, but that advantage is lost with digital mirrorless.

For example, if you take the 1st gen CV 15mm (a film camera lens that almost touches the film plane) and mount it on an A7, the corners will be full lovely with color fringes. It's because of the color filter layer on top of the sensor? It seems to make sense; the light is hitting a glass surface at a very sharp angle. I've heard this is a reason that Sony was once researching curved sensors.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
So, questions questions.

I've shot almost 100% analogic since I've started some 5 years ago, and while I love developing and grain and all that jazz, my artistic inclinations have changed quite a lot and I need a simple digital camera for the foreseable future.

The thing is: I want to go cheap, very cheap.

I'm looking into M43 most likely.

I don't really care about pixel density as I've been printing 5x7 at most. So 10-12MP maybe?

Image stabilization is not needed.

Ideal ISO performance would be going to 1600 without much noise.

Good colour rendition would be good.

A viewfinder is NEEDED.

What's out there that's cheap and old, has 10MP, a viewfinder and can do ISO 1600 okay-ish? Interchangeable lenses or some ultra zoom needed, I don't know.

Bonus points for rugged/more buttons and wheels for controls.

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 3, 2018

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How cheap are you talking about? How you considered your phone?

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

whatever7 posted:

How cheap are you talking about? How you considered your phone?

I moved it to the general gear thread because I think it's probably better there, but I'm thinking some 200-300 bucks sans lenses. I do need something that can change focal distances and I always only have the cheapest possible phone (I live in Brazil, having an expensive phone is not smart)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You're looking for specs so old that it'll be dependent on what's on eBay. Look for a g7, gh3, gf*, gx7, em5, em10 or older.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You're looking for specs so old that it'll be dependent on what's on eBay. Look for a g7, gh3, gf*, gx7, em5, em10 or older.

That's exactly what I was looking for, some sort of "what do I search for", I really don't know the digital market at all.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Primo Itch posted:

I moved it to the general gear thread because I think it's probably better there, but I'm thinking some 200-300 bucks sans lenses. I do need something that can change focal distances and I always only have the cheapest possible phone (I live in Brazil, having an expensive phone is not smart)

You have lens already? How come you are not budgeting the lens?

BTH the cheapest deal here in the US are discontinued stuff that may or may not be available in your country.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

whatever7 posted:

You have lens already? How come you are not budgeting the lens?

BTH the cheapest deal here in the US are discontinued stuff that may or may not be available in your country.

Yeah I have a full set of full frame lenses (including some ultra wide ones that would be wide enough on m43) and access to good cine lenses , so my idea is to use them for the beginning and afterwards look into some proper mount lenses.

I don't have any restrictions with buying from ebay or even dorkroom, have done so in the past and even with import taxes a lot of times it ends up being cheaper for used gear, plus the variety.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Primo Itch posted:

Yeah I have a full set of full frame lenses (including some ultra wide ones that would be wide enough on m43) and access to good cine lenses , so my idea is to use them for the beginning and afterwards look into some proper mount lenses.

I don't have any restrictions with buying from ebay or even dorkroom, have done so in the past and even with import taxes a lot of times it ends up being cheaper for used gear, plus the variety.

What mount are your full frame lenses? I know this is the mirrorless thread but Canon Rebels like the Xsi, T1i, T2i are in that price range and their ISO 1600 is pretty clean. The EM-5 is my goto with a lens recommendation for small cameras in that range, since you don't mind buying without also look into used Fuji XE-2 bodies.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you have FF lens just buy the best APS body you can find for $200. Off the top of my head first gen Fuji bodies XE1 XA1, Early Sony NEX3 NEX5, Samsung whatever.

Oh and Canon 5D Mark I.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

8th-snype posted:

What mount are your full frame lenses? I know this is the mirrorless thread but Canon Rebels like the Xsi, T1i, T2i are in that price range and their ISO 1600 is pretty clean. The EM-5 is my goto with a lens recommendation for small cameras in that range, since you don't mind buying without also look into used Fuji XE-2 bodies.

Contax/Yashica, all manual old and made of lots of metal, but decent image quality and I can mount them basically anywhere.

Hadn't thought about a Rebel, they can be found for good prices around here.

whatever7 posted:

Oh and Canon 5D Mark I.

A 5D Mark I sounds great also, but I definitely can't find something like that around here for a reasonable price (They go for some 700-800 USD on the local equivalent of eBay). I will look into eBay for one, sounds like a nice choice, I could just keep all my lenses, it would basically be a body change...

I'll also look into the Fuji cameras, them seen well regarded. There's some XE-1 around here for reasonable prices.

Maybe I should've posted in the dSLR thread...

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Primo Itch posted:

Contax/Yashica, all manual old and made of lots of metal, but decent image quality and I can mount them basically anywhere.

Hadn't thought about a Rebel, they can be found for good prices around here.

A 5D Mark I sounds great also, but I definitely can't find something like that around here for a reasonable price (They go for some 700-800 USD on the local equivalent of eBay). I will look into eBay for one, sounds like a nice choice, I could just keep all my lenses, it would basically be a body change...

Maybe I should've posted in the dSLR thread...

Don't get a Rebel old than the ones I listed because their high ISO is trash. If you can get a cheap 5D that would be even better. Not that it's been mentioned yet, but note that you can't adapt C/Y lenses to Nikon bodies and achieve infinity focus def stick with mirrorless or EF mount if you plan to use those.