Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This camera doesn't COST money, it MAKES money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There's only two things standing in between me and being the next Ansel Adams:

1. Equipment
2. Any kinda talent

I just got halfway there baby.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For what it’s worth, I, for one, will always equate “bird with big dick” and “breathtaking photography”

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had some credit at Lensrentals so I got a GR III for a week and I swear in practical use, for me, the autofocus actually seems worse than my original GR. Overall the new versions did not seem like much of an upgrade. The extra resolution and touch screen were nice enough, but I prefer the old control layout and no AF improvement is a bummer. The sensor clicking around inside from the IBIS system was disconcerting too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That’s just how IBIS is. They have some degree of rattling.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Z6 doesn’t rattle at all so I wasn’t expecting it. After looking into it apparently Nikon has some system to lock the sensor when it’s not in use.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

powderific posted:

My Z6 doesn’t rattle at all so I wasn’t expecting it. After looking into it apparently Nikon has some system to lock the sensor when it’s not in use.

My OM-D EM10ii has IBIS and it doesn't rattle at all either, I'd probably be a bit concerned too if I heard the sensor rattling after trying a new camera.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
I bought a GH5 with the Lumix 12-60mm kit lens last week after my girlfriend finally agreed (and so I'd shut up about it). It helped that Panasonic had a double cashback deal going on.
The dealer included a second battery and a puke-green carrying case. Already put the camera to good use on a weekend-trip to Belgium.

Since then I've ordered:
-the Peak Design 3 camera strap
-the 12-35mm Panasonic F2.8 so I can sell off the kit lens
-a variable ND Filter
-Neewer battery grip
-a Smallrig half-cage with the helmet kit for the DMW-XLR1 (after getting lucky by scoring the latter one for 130 EUR on Ebay)
-a power adapter with battery dummy
-an LCD hood

I sure need a good hiding place for the Voigtlander 17.5mm I'm eyeing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

is that the 2.8-4 kit?

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

is that the 2.8-4 kit?

It's the 3.5-5.6 one.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Surely this can't be legit? It must be an X-T30 and they made a mistake.....

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

XBenedict posted:

Different item, same possible result? (it’s a scam)

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Get an early pre-order for $199 for a wicked looking Kamlan 50mm F1.1 MK2. Sony E / Fuji X / EOS M /and M43.

This looks like a really good lens for the price.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

XBenedict posted:

The X-T2 is that price right now and is an amazing deal if, but that really looks like a scam

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Gringostar posted:

The X-T2 is that price right now and is an amazing deal if, but that really looks like a scam

X-T2 is 799.99 on Amazon/B&H and other retailers right now for body online, 1,099.99 with the 18-55mm lens. Having some kind of big sale.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

cheese posted:

X-T2 is 799.99 on Amazon/B&H and other retailers right now for body online, 1,099.99 with the 18-55mm lens. Having some kind of big sale.

Just on the X-T2. Most lenses are also on sale but it’s not that great of one outside of the two macros, the 14, and the fast 23.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is the 60mm macro worth it at $399? Seems like a pretty good deal. I’m reading that it’s super slow focus, but am looking to pick up a macro lens for fly tying and pictures of squirrels.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I've only rented it but it's super sharp and for $399 that's pretty good. Old Fuji lenses aren't cripplingly slow, it's just they're noticeably not as fast as more modern stuff. If you need to get a really fast subject you can always manually prefocus and then autofocus the rest of the way.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
I picked up the 60 at the current deal and it's fantastic. AF is fine for normal operation (it's slower than my 35/2 but that one is very fast) but at macro range it's noticeably slow to the point where manual focus at that range is sometimes better.

Still a great lens and at only 215g it's light as hell for what it is.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ugh, I really need to rebuy the Fuji kit 18-55 but I don't want to.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Internet Explorer posted:

Don't do it! You will find yourself reaching for other lenses less and less until it just lives on your camera.

With the new 799 price on the X-T2, I'm wondering which is better value as an upgrade to my X-E2s, that or the X-T30 for around the same price? I've become the default picture taker for my circle of friends now that everyone has kids birthday parties and BBQs, and the X-E2s is just too slow.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I have been using the lovely Olympus 45mm f/1.8 for a while now on my MFT camera, but a switch to Fuji could potentially be in my future. What's the equivalent/similar standard prime in Fuji's X-mount system and is it as affordable?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The exact equivalent, focal length wise, would be the Fuji 60mm f/2.4 macro that's been discussed a few posts up. I haven't used it, but it's an older lens so it has slower focus than Fuji's newer offerings, though optically it's supposedly great. It's currently on sale for $400 which I believe is somewhat comparable to the Olympus 45mm 1.8.

If you don't care about an exact focal length match, there's the Fuji 50mm f/2, which is currently on sale for $350. This would be the standard recommendation for an affordable, short telephoto prime. The 56mm f/1.2 would be the ideal replacement, but it costs a lot more.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here
Since we are posting deals, Woot! is selling Olympus Pen F;s at $679.99, if anyone has been eyeing one. I am pretty invested in Fuji now, but it looks like a cool little camera. Still going for $999.00 on Amazon, though Woot seems to be the harbinger of upcoming price drops.

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/olympus-pen-f-mirrorless-digital-camera-body-only?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_elec_11_2

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

iammeandsoareyou posted:

Since we are posting deals, Woot! is selling Olympus Pen F;s at $679.99, if anyone has been eyeing one. I am pretty invested in Fuji now, but it looks like a cool little camera. Still going for $999.00 on Amazon, though Woot seems to be the harbinger of upcoming price drops.

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/olympus-pen-f-mirrorless-digital-camera-body-only?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_elec_11_2

Fuuuuck I wish I had the extra money for this, it's lucky to find them for this cheap used. Hopefully this is going to be a long-term price drop.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

i'm waiting on the 16-80 f4 to come out personally

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gringostar posted:

i'm waiting on the 16-80 f4 to come out personally

Is it going to be as light as the kit 18-55? That is what makes that lens perfect. I mostly use my camera for hiking and having it strapped to the front of my backpack straps.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Is it going to be as light as the kit 18-55? That is what makes that lens perfect. I mostly use my camera for hiking and having it strapped to the front of my backpack straps.

from everything I’ve seen it will be a bit larger and heavier, about the approximate size and weight of the 10-24 which was fine to carry on hikes when i rented it

it will sure as poo poo be lighter than the 16-55 2.6 and more than likely the 18-135

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The Pen EP-2 was my first mirrorless and I remember it fondly.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

cheese posted:

Don't do it! You will find yourself reaching for other lenses less and less until it just lives on your camera.

With the new 799 price on the X-T2, I'm wondering which is better value as an upgrade to my X-E2s, that or the X-T30 for around the same price? I've become the default picture taker for my circle of friends now that everyone has kids birthday parties and BBQs, and the X-E2s is just too slow.

X-T30 if you're highest priority is doing fast-moving subjects, video, or saving weight. X-T2 if you're doing more deliberate or detail focused stuff where having that huge detailed viewfinder and those additional direct control dials would better suit your purposes.

The X-T2 is no slouch in AF or video, but the 30 is an upgrade in both respects.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The e-pm2 was godlike and I still use mine because it's so drat approachable for my family

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I think the latest XT3 update made the camera worse. Now, if I touch the zoom at any time after achieving focus, it moves the focus point by like 10 feet. The EVF stutters way more than usual, and occasionally when I push the focus button half the EVF goes green and shifts the viewfinder area down, like a film reel going off track.

I have bursts of photos where the first one is in focus, then the rest are out of focus, like the focus motor bumped by a millimeter.

What the gently caress, fuji.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

red19fire posted:

I think the latest XT3 update made the camera worse. Now, if I touch the zoom at any time after achieving focus, it moves the focus point by like 10 feet. The EVF stutters way more than usual, and occasionally when I push the focus button half the EVF goes green and shifts the viewfinder area down, like a film reel going off track.

I have bursts of photos where the first one is in focus, then the rest are out of focus, like the focus motor bumped by a millimeter.

What the gently caress, fuji.

Even with Fuji, a responsive and responsible company, I don't do firmware updates unless it's a critical fix I have to have right now, until at least 3 or 4 months.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

CodfishCartographer posted:

Fuuuuck I wish I had the extra money for this, it's lucky to find them for this cheap used. Hopefully this is going to be a long-term price drop.

Actually it looks like they are being discontinued.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/olympus-pen-f-reportedly-discontinued

I guess this is the start of clearance pricing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Put up some Fuji gear and a Ricoh GRII for sale.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759085&userid=171268

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

iammeandsoareyou posted:

Actually it looks like they are being discontinued.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/olympus-pen-f-reportedly-discontinued

I guess this is the start of clearance pricing.

What the tits? That looked like a great camera.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

I've added an X-T3 to my stable, but I need a new bag/backpack. The bag that I have for my DSLR doesn't fit the Fuji right, so it just rattles around in there, and none of the velcro points are in a position to close it down any. My other bag is too small.

What I need is a bag that will fit the camera, 3 lenses, flash, battery grip, etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation that isn't a $600 Peak Design bag?

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

XBenedict posted:

I've added an X-T3 to my stable, but I need a new bag/backpack. The bag that I have for my DSLR doesn't fit the Fuji right, so it just rattles around in there, and none of the velcro points are in a position to close it down any. My other bag is too small.

What I need is a bag that will fit the camera, 3 lenses, flash, battery grip, etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation that isn't a $600 Peak Design bag?

I really like the mindshift rotation backpacks. I have three different sizes because I love hiking with them.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm starting to get annoyed by swapping between 3 different primes. I think that means that it's time I bought a zoom. But I keep running into the fact that nobody makes a zoom in the range I want - 35mm~150mm equivalent, or 17mm-75mm in m43. I could get the 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8 pairing, but that's pretty drat spendy, and I'm still swapping between 3 lenses. I guess there's the 14-140 f3.5-5.6...ehh... Why not less range, higher quality and faster? I just want a versatile zoom and a macro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Finger Prince posted:

I'm starting to get annoyed by swapping between 3 different primes. I think that means that it's time I bought a zoom. But I keep running into the fact that nobody makes a zoom in the range I want - 35mm~150mm equivalent, or 17mm-75mm in m43. I could get the 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8 pairing, but that's pretty drat spendy, and I'm still swapping between 3 lenses. I guess there's the 14-140 f3.5-5.6...ehh... Why not less range, higher quality and faster? I just want a versatile zoom and a macro.

Olympus 12-100! Has amazing OIS as well, though at F4 it might not be fast enough for you. But if it IS fast enough, I'm selling one in very nice condition :)