Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Is Capture One the best tool for applying Fuji film recipes to raw photos? The native Fuji app is pretty drat clumsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Brrrmph posted:

Is Capture One the best tool for applying Fuji film recipes to raw photos? The native Fuji app is pretty drat clumsy.

Photoshop does an ok job.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
X Studio RAW is unique in that it uses the camera to process the raw file so will produce identical jpegs to shooting film sim jpegs rather than raws. Every other software is an alternative approximation to the camera film simulations, with differing levels of Fuji input.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Cool. I just get out to shoot so little these days that I never can decide if I should do OOC jpgs or raw and adjust later.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
How close Lightroom/Capture1/Silkypix/<insert raw developer of choice> match the in-camera profiles is probably one of those internet arguments with no winners. Fuji could probably write some software to give identical results to the camera but for whatever reason don't and claim :airquote:image processing engine magic:airquote:

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
If you are shooting raw on a Fuji, don't forget you can convert to a film simulation JPG directly on the camera and then import that - there's no need to apply the simulation in third party software.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
You can do the same on (some/most?) Canon cameras, in camera RAW to JPEG in the menus.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Ok thanks everyone. I just like dicking around with fuji film simulations and will continue to do so one way or another.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Any thoughts on a decent (used) secondary body to complement a Fuji X-T4? No video needed, but would prefer good high ISO performance. X-T3? X-T30? X-H1?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I believe the T3 and T30 have the xtrans 4 while the H1 only has the 3, so you'll get better sensor performance with those Ts. However the H1 sensor still is plenty good. I believe the T3 also has better autofocus than the H1 as well, but the H1 also was when Fuji autofocus got "good enough" for many uses. Main (only?) reason to choose the H1 here is for the IBIS. But the H1 is also, as they say, a chonker (much more DSLR-sized than the T3). And be aware the H1 also has a traditional screen on top of the camera in place of the physical exposure comp wheel.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Any thoughts on a decent (used) secondary body to complement a Fuji X-T4? No video needed, but would prefer good high ISO performance. X-T3? X-T30? X-H1?

if you like the image quality/ISO performance of the X-T4, then the X-T3 and X-T30 use the same one, just without IBIS and with fewer features overall, respectively.

that said it depends on budget. Even looking at the X-T2 or X-T20 might be decent enough if the price is within budget.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

DanTheFryingPan posted:

The X-T30 is actually two cameras now, there's the original X-T30 and the X-T30 II, which is only denoted literally on the very bottom of the camera on the model detail blurb. Iirc though the only major difference is improved autofocus and lowlight autofocus.

Double checking prices, it looks like the X-T3 used is going for just like a hundred and change short of a brand new one (~850 vs ~1k USD), so if your budget is hovering around there then maybe you should also consider the X-S10 which can be had new for $999. Its the same gen processor and sensor as your X-T4, with IBIS, but with traditional PASM controls and an inferior EVF resolution.
More meant for video, but the IBIS means you can shoot muuuch slower shutter speeds handheld for low light, so you don't need to dip into the super high ISO ranges as much.

If you're just planning on only ever shooting it tripod mounted though then pretty much all of the cameras you listed will do you just fine.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well one of my cats was mad at me and peed on my X100F. 😑

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The answer to “what’s the backup camera for my X-T4?” Is obviously an X-E4. Same gen sensor and in a very sexy but economical body style.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Well one of my cats was mad at me and peed on my X100F. 😑

Sounds like you might get a new film simulation PISS PRO NEG

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 28, 2022

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Nikon's new Z30 was announced. Entry level mirrorless aimed at bloggers and casual video folk.

https://nikonrumors.com/2022/06/29/nikon-z30-aps-c-mirrorless-camera-announced.aspx/#more-171457

Hooray?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Come on nikon, give me a z70/90 :argh:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Mega Comrade posted:

Come on nikon, give me a z70/90 :argh:

Some sort of R6/7 competitor to use that 800mm f/6.3 lens with...

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Sounds like you might get a new film simulation PISS PRO NEG

:xd:

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I just got a Fujifilm X-S10 as my first mirrorless and I love it. I got it with the 18-55 kit lens which seems great, and I’m not in a rush to go out and buy a stack of primes, but I have been thinking about the pancake lenses and whatever else may be more compact than the 18-55 just to make it a bit easier to carry around sometimes. What is the opinion on the pancakes and should I be considering anything else as something very light and compact? I was alternatively thinking about the 35mm f2 as I seem to be shooting around that point on the 18-55 most frequently. I like the idea of the fast 1.4s but they all seem pretty big and right now I think I’ll get more use out of something as small and light as possible.

I am super new to all this stuff so correct me on anything I’m wrong and dumb about. A reason I was thinking about one of the f2s over the pancakes is I understand the autofocus is fast and good. Right now I’m mostly shooting kids running around, street stuff and some landscapes and portraits. Basically everything but not so much macro or long range bird shots or anything.

Man I love this camera though, it’s bringing me a lot of joy. That’s why I’m doing everything, having a lot of fun trying different stuff!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Welcome to Fuji land :unsmith:

So I think you have the right idea - finding a next lens based on what length you’re finding yourself using a lot on the 18-55, and also trying to match what you’re using it for to the lenses.

I have the first gen 27/2.8 pancake as well as the 16, 23 and 35 f/2 lenses, and honestly the one strong suit of the 27 is size. The lens has a decent character to it (even if it’s 2.8 is slower than the 23 and 35) but I like using the manual aperture ring lenses a lot more. It’s why I got the 23 not long ago.

Size wise they’re bigger than the 27 but not as chonky as the 18-55, with the 35 being about the smallest of them. That said, compare 23 mm and 35 mm and make sure 35 isn’t too tight - that’s the one limitation, otherwise it’s a great lens.

Comparably, the 35/1.4 is a fantastic piece, with what old-school Fuji fans call “the magic,” but it’s definitely physically larger and slower to focus. Maybe something to look at used later down the line?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Thank you, that’s very helpful and definitely food for thought. Rather than immediately spend too much money on a bunch of lenses I thought I’d target a few for keeping an eye out for on local second hand markets and groups. I really am interested in something fast like the 35mm 1.4 to complement the zoom, but I can also see leaving it at home a lot if I’ve got something more convenient to carry around with me. But it’s definitely going on the list to watch out for.

The three f2s seem to have a really good reputation. I just can’t work out exactly how the weight and size will work out in practice. I think I’ll play with the zoom a bit more and try and see if the 35mm or the 23mm is the more versatile pick.

Also, if I don’t like the lens (ie if ultimately I prefer something else to the pancake in most circumstances and just always wish I had it with me) then regardless of how light and small it is I probably won’t end up using it. So good feedback for the pancake, thanks!

I should also note I’m only really interested in stills at this point and not video.

Edit: another question. Given the X-S10 isn’t weather sealed how careful do I need to be? A drop of water will make it explode? The beach will destroy it if the wind blows some sand around? Is it possible to get bags or cases that give it some protection? Or have I just begun a journey that will end in me spending megabux on forever upgrades?

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 30, 2022

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Blamestorm posted:

Edit: another question. Given the X-S10 isn’t weather sealed how careful do I need to be? A drop of water will make it explode? The beach will destroy it if the wind blows some sand around? Is it possible to get bags or cases that give it some protection? Or have I just begun a journey that will end in me spending megabux on forever upgrades?

It's not weather sealed, which means bringing it out into an actual rainstorm isn't the smartest idea. But a drop of water won't make it explode. Probably try not to change lenses in places that are sandy or dirty, but otherwise these things are heartier than you might think.

camera bags are a whole different thing, and really vary from person to person even more than camera choice. I've put mine into shoulder bags or backpacks loose, so it doesn't have to be anything special.

lastly, here's a fun tool that compares camera and lens size, I've loaded it up with the 18-55 you have now, the 35/2 and the 27/2.8, so you can see how they compare size-wise. also - the pandemic has absolutely screwed everything to do with electronics, including lenses, and the current 27/2.8 WR was released recently, and might be backordered or expensive. Other options might be cheaper at the moment.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Thank you, that’s really helpful. The size tool is great.

When I was talking about bags and cases I was thinking of things you could use to give additional protection against weather while actually using the camera, like phone cases. I had in my head I could get some kind of zip lock bag and secure the open part around the lens for example. Is this a thing anyone does?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
You can get wraps and similar stuff for cameras and lenses. You can also get full dive casings for them too - but they are more expensive than most cameras.

I really wouldn't worry too much about weather sealing or lack of it if I were you. Unless you intend to use the camera a lot in extreme conditions, it's not a massive factor as long as you are reasonably careful of your gear. Using it in the rain and snow - even quite heavy rain is generally fine. Put some silica gel sachets in your bag, and if it does get wet, when you get home just pop the battery, take the lens off and let it breathe for a bit. I've used non-weather sealed gear in filthy weather and never had a problem.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

That’s great. I was kind of surprised people online were making such a big deal about WR as it’s not something I used to think about with cameras, so I was wondering if the modern stuff is just way more delicate.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I mean it's nice to have, and Pentax shooters never, ever shut up about it, but it's not like the camera is unusable unless it's bone dry outside. The casing will shrug off a bit of ambient dampness and moderate rain even without full weather sealing.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I bought a used xt2 that I'm loving. Flew with it this week to a project and i dont know if it was the extra travel shaking it loose or something but the night I landed the sensor was covered in dust spots. Very very annoying. Did what I could with a blower and brush but theres still a lot there.

Got some good milky way shots though. Very dark skies, used a Rokinon 12mm and a little travel tripod.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Blamestorm posted:

That’s great. I was kind of surprised people online were making such a big deal about WR as it’s not something I used to think about with cameras, so I was wondering if the modern stuff is just way more delicate.

I've used an X-S10 at 20 degrees, 3,000ft above sea level, on a ridge, in a blizzard and it was fine. Obviously snow is a bit different to rain and I was careful to wipe it down before putting it back in my backpack but they can stand up to more than you think.

Just don't let it get totally wet basically. Taking it out of the bag in mild rain and getting a few drops on it won't kill it, particularly if you have a cloth with you to dry it.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I was more worried about sand on the beach I think, as I enjoy taking it on walks along the coast. I am now unfussed about it after reading your advice, I think I was just thrown by how much a lot of people online seem to put a premium on weather resistance and wondered if there was something I was missing re: how careful I should be. But that’s good to know.

Man the primes thing is such a hole to fall down. I’m pretty convinced something lighter than the zoom will have me taking it out of the house/bag more often but it’s so hard to decide. I was set on the 23mm f2 after the advice above but I just started playing more with portraits and now I’m back to debating the f1.2 vs f2 35mms. Even the 50mm, although I find I’m rarely taking shots at that range - yet.

But I think the 23mm f2 is probably the best balance of versatile, cheap and most importantly light/compact, so I’ll either keep an eye out for a good one second hand or wait for a sale. (Or I’ll just cave and get it) And I may keep an eye out for the pancake second hand if I see a good deal. But there is so much tempting stuff for not THAT much money. I’m just super aware I probably won’t lug around more than a main lens and a backup, and that the compactness of the body (which still seems incredible to me given what the thing can do, coming from older DSLRs) is kind of being offset by the zoom (although the 18-55 is still drat compact for what it is!). I feel like a small lens would make it almost point and shoot size, which is colossally useful.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 2, 2022

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
As you'll have seen from the site linked above, the f/2 primes are waaaay smaller than the f/1.4 versions.

That said, Fuji just released a new version of the 23mm f/1.4 so you can get the older version for a good price on eBay or whatever. The main difference between the two versions apart from optics is... you guessed it... weather sealing.

On the point about sand, weather sealing won't do poo poo to prevent damage from that - on lenses weather sealing is more about preventing dust getting in (and water of course).

Sand and high grade optics is just a terrible combination but, again, just take care and if you do get any on the front of the lens DO NOT try to brush it off. Blow it off with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1910-Medium-Rocket-Blaster/dp/B000L9OIQC/

Edit: again, I've used the X-S10 on beaches in windy conditions, including getting a bit of salt spray on it. That's obviously not ideal and I took care when cleaning that off but can confirm it did not explode :)

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 2, 2022

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Thanks for all the advice! Yeah I’m getting the 23mm f2 and will just buy it I reckon. I kept creeping up in size one model at a time until I was back to where I started.

Edit: I see, I confused myself, what I was thinking was the 23 f2 for general use then maybe eventually a faster tighter lens for portraits and night stuff, I thought one of them was fairly compact at the higher end - maybe on of the 50mm ones? Will keep looking around.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 3, 2022

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
This might be a stupid question but is there such a thing as a 'budget' mirrorless that isn't awful? I'm looking at getting something for my dad, he loves photography and used to do a little bit professionally in the 60s/70s but hasn't had a proper (i.e. not a compact) camera for decades. He's 84 and does a lot of walking and taking photos in the country so it needs to be small and light. It doesn't need to be top quality by any means, he's been shooting on total crap for a long time. Probably just need one good general purpose zoom lens though maybe I'd get him a short prime of some kind too.

I had a look around, seems like the starting point is really £1k / $1,200 ish? I'm just wondering if there's anything under that which would still be worth getting i.e. wouldn't fall apart within a few years, as I'm on a limited budget.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

El Grillo posted:

This might be a stupid question but is there such a thing as a 'budget' mirrorless that isn't awful? I'm looking at getting something for my dad, he loves photography and used to do a little bit professionally in the 60s/70s but hasn't had a proper (i.e. not a compact) camera for decades. He's 84 and does a lot of walking and taking photos in the country so it needs to be small and light. It doesn't need to be top quality by any means, he's been shooting on total crap for a long time. Probably just need one good general purpose zoom lens though maybe I'd get him a short prime of some kind too.

I had a look around, seems like the starting point is really £1k / $1,200 ish? I'm just wondering if there's anything under that which would still be worth getting i.e. wouldn't fall apart within a few years, as I'm on a limited budget.

Look around for a used XT20 with kit lens. Don't know your local market, but I think you can find that for under $1000.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

El Grillo posted:

If he doesnt mind used gear the older fuji bodies are still pretty good. I think you can get a decent condition X-e1 body for ~$3-400

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Even an X-T2 in 'excellent' condition for under £500 these days.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Those Fuji bodies are great deals, and I love the layout of everything, but looking at the glass... It's like everything is Canon L price.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Philthy posted:

Those Fuji bodies are great deals, and I love the layout of everything, but looking at the glass... It's like everything is Canon L price.

All of the ‘Fujicron’ f/2 primes are like $400 new, and the 18-55 is available gently used for a song (depending on where you are). That’s not exactly L prices.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Philthy posted:

Fuji has some premium tier glass for sure that costs an arm and a leg but they also offer a load of much much cheaper stuff.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/category/used-photo-and-video-lenses/mirrorless-lenses/fujifilm-x-fit-lenses

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
There's also Olympus or Panasonic (collectively known as "micro four-thirds" or M43) as small light mirrorless with cheaper lenses. Not sure of what models and lenses would be good options within that range though tbh - not very familiar with micro four-thirds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations folks. Some good used fuji's not far away that I'll go check out!