Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Bought a Fuji XPro 2. Any chance any Australian goons know where I can buy a thumb grip locally?

Lensmate's seems to be the best reviewed, but only sold in the US, and shipping cost + time sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Gumtree and/or facebook. If the seller looks dodgy when you go to pick it up dont buy it but otherwise they are both good places for anything, if you dont mind second hand.

Yeah good idea. And no, don't mind second hand, it's a literal piece of metal. Hard to gently caress that up. (knock on wood).

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

We're lucky. Digidirect and Michaels in Melbourne had 5 or more XT2 boxes ready when I walked in when the US was still linking people with 'Quick! Amazon has 6 XT2s in stock right now!'

We get enough and the demand just isn't high enough in Aus. It's great!

So when the US gets them, we'll get them at the same time. X100 stock might be tricky, but the rest should be fine.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Nikon's micro-site for their new full frame mirrorless is starting to update;

https://events.imaging.nikon.com/live/en/

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The new Nikon Mirrorless system is;

Mirrorless full frame
a 46mp sensor (from the D850) and a 24mp varient
new lens mount with a wide enough diameter to accept medium format sensors in the future

F mount smart adapter at launch

3 lenses
24-70, 35mm, and a 50mm f0.95

Nikon's trademarked 'Noct' for their new super fast lenses.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

cheese posted:

If its "We took the mirror out of a D850" are people going to be pissed?

Considering how good the D850 is? Not at all.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The new Nikon mount is the same width as the Fuji GFX, so it's allowing them to develop medium format in the future.

In the meantime, it allows f0.95 lenses, one of which will launch with the camera.

And as Powderific alluded to, Nikon's cutting off almost all entry level stuff and focusing heavily on the Pro market. Their latest financials show this. Revenue is down, and profits are way up.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Roadmap looks strong.

And in the meantime, you can use every F-mount there is.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The sales of the Z6/Z7 are what's going to help bankroll the development and production of the Z series lenses throughout the next couple years.

It's unreasonable to expect Nikon to release a completely new platform and also have a wide range of new lenses ready to go immediately.

By the end of 2021, they'll have an extremely thorough portfolio. That's pretty good.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
With a 55mm diameter and a 16mm flange distance, you'll be able to mount pretty much any lens that exists once Co's start churning out adapters, if that's your thing.

I shoot with a D850 and D810 at the moment, and I'm probably going to drop the 810 for the Z7. Then as the Z series matures, transition over.

The oldest lens I still shoot with regularly is a 14-24 f2.8, that was released in 2007. 11 years

It's on the Z roadmap for 2020, and I'd almost bet money that it won't get an F mount refresh. Writing on the wall, etc.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

cheese posted:

Maybe those empty slots in the coming years will be 1.2 primes?

That's exactly what its going to enable, yes.

In the meantime, they're filling up the most commonly bought lenses to build an ecosystem asap.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

tino posted:

WTF the 0.95 lens is manual only?

Are there any f0.95 lenses available that have Auto Focus?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Father O'Blivion posted:

When Nikon eventually implements 3x RAID XQD and 60fps continuous still burst on their mirrorless bodies we'll finally be back to shooting 35mm motion picture film.

I giggled at this.

The more things change, etc

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

alkanphel posted:

And I've heard from the Fuji people locally that the XH1 and GFX aren't selling well.

:raise:

That flys in the face of just about every other indicator at the moment.

Also, fuji are releasing their medium format rangefinder soon - so the GF line is going to continue to grow.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah, from what you described as your reason for sale the X100 series makes the most sense.

Simple, easy to bring with you, excellent image quality.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
A 100mp crop medium format for $10k is a good price.

Although commercial shooters are as likely to just have a leased Phase/Blad system already, so I’m not sure the exact market the 100 will target exactly.

Rentals might do well from it tho.

Great time to be a photographer either way!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

8th-snype posted:

It's squarely aimed at midcareer people who currently own say a D750 or 5d3 and are considering their options for upgrades. 100mp with IBIS is crazy and the 10k price point is holy poo poo good.

Yeah the Ibis makes it super attractive.

I’m a lifestyle, editorial and food shooter so I appreciate the felixibility of 35mm and the ability to hand hold more readily.

I was curious about GFX but I’m now genuinely interested.

As long as Fuji keeps rolling out that gorgeous glass they’re on a winner.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

KennyG posted:

In evaluating switching/not-switching camera systems how much do you look at the lens options (both existing and 'roadmap') versus the body itself?

Obviously the bodies depreciate at a much faster rate than the glass and a great 24-70 could last many, many body lifetimes. I guess I'm trying to compare the potential of the RF mount versus the maturity of the A7 III over the EOS R. I probably buy a new body about every 5-8 years so it's hard for me to get excited about having a less than amazing body at this price point for the next 5+ years but I am super optimistic about the potential and early showings of the RF mount. Am I crazy to consider suffering through the ergonomic science experiment of the R for access to the RF mount? Should I just ignore my internal biases and jump ship to the more mature FE/A7 combo?

I'm disinterested in Video and don't shoot weddings so the crop and card slots aren't issues for me. I'm going on a long trip to NZ and want to upgrade so I have it for the trip but I can't tell which I would consider the 'best' move. Absent the travel, waiting for the next RF mount camera would be my first inclination, but the timing just doesn't work for me. The side benefit is that i do have some Canon lenses but I guess they could just as easily adapt to a Sony but at a higher cost. Also renting/buying EF glass is anywhere from 20-50% cheaper from what I've seen online.

Pickup both the Sony and the Canon, feel them in your hands, the button placement, how far you have to reach to different areas, what feels 'right'

Then buy the one that you like more.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Pablo Bluth posted:

The people who write RAW converters don't have access to the same information as the manufactures themselves. You have to make your own measures to figure out how to adjust the raw data. This is why something like Lightroom can never give an identical match to in-camera JPGs.

I wish more people knew this.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

DJExile posted:

👏 MEGAPIXEL 👏 COUNT 👏 DOES 👏 NOT 👏 MATTER 👏 ABOVE 👏 LIKE 👏 7MP 👏

That fills less than half a computer screen.

What are you talking about.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sweet show me a camera that can take 5k video tia

I'm talking about stills tho?

a 7Mp still is miniscule.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Photex posted:

I'm all for hating on SaaS but Lightroom and Photoshop with 20gb of sync storage is only $10 a month which isn't terrible.

Yeah, I just can’t get angry about Adobe charging me $10 a month for the industry standard software.

Lightroom and PS both always the latest versions for 10% of what the old full versions used to cost. I get that it’s not for everyone, but I’m constantly stunned by how cheap it is.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

whatever7 posted:

You mean with a lens mount cap on or with a tiny pinhole lens? How does that work?

The former.

It’s like when largerfield was walking around with his solid gold Apple Watch that hadn’t been activated.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Schneider Heim posted:

which were in a way supposed to bring down their DSLR systems' prices?

Nah.

There's 50 years of glass and user base in that system. Don't expect big price drops yet.

In a year or so when someone can fully replace their DSLRs with mirrorless, maybe.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

powderific posted:

I think at the moment they're trying to price their mirrorless stuff competitively since they're both late to the game, while the DSLRs already have a very well established user base and I'm not sure they have a lot of reason to drop the floor out on high value products that are still selling well. I know Nikon outsold their expectations for the D850 and couldn't really keep up with demand. Not sure how things went on the Canon side since it seems like their DSLR upgrades have been a lot more incremental.
FWIW the 5d4 is $2k off at the moment.

Yep, pretty much bang on. The Nikon Z7 is the mirrorless equivalent (mostly) to a D850, and the 850 is still the more expensive camera, and is still selling well.

I'll be moving to either the Z line or GFX in the next 12 months, but I don't know too many shooters who are desperate to jump, as their current stuff is still exceptionally good.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The Z6 is pretty great for how they priced it.

And they've just upgraded it to shoot ProRes RAW video onto external Atomos recorders which, if you're a hybrid shooter, is pretty wild.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
that was the first thing I noticed testing the Z6. Actually having to change batteries on a shoot versus the D850.

It doesn't really matter, it was just a point of difference.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Martytoof posted:

Really tempted by a Z6 with F adapter...

Stupid expensive hobbies...

I'll be moving from my DLSRs and F glass to the Z/S stuff this year.

Just waiting for the new body (whatever that is) and the pro zooms to be all done. Hopefully by mid year.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Hello Spaceman posted:

The 50S/R are both already xbox hueg in normal-sized hands. I'd be too embarrassed to use one in public.

Haha come on man.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’ve heard above a certain MP size it’s just over kill used for marketing hype. Like anything above 26 I think it was? Any truth to that?

I shoot with 46mp cameras for work, and most of it ends up on the web, with maybe 10% as marketing for print.

Providing clients with high res images allows them to make 16:9 verticals out of landscape shots easily, or crop to a smaller section of a file and get 2 or more useable images out of 1 original.

High res cameras are great.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Was shooting in Tokyo for 3 days for work, had a few hours spare and went camera store ogling.

Their stores are so wild. This is just one cabinet of Fuji mirrorless on consignment.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

harperdc posted:

What shop is that? I’ve never seen that much Fuji X gear in one spot, and that includes Fuji’s showroom in Roppongi!!

Fujiya camera, its incredible. Down a little alleyway with restaurants and newsagents, then suddenly camera nirvana.

krackmonkey posted:

Fujiya Camera is BOMB, I hit them up every time I go to Japan and they never let me down. They're nice and helpful there, despite language barriers and I've never left their shop empty-handed, the super-fickle Japanese camera market means tons of recent stuff is likely available used in basically new condition.

Yes! I'm a Nikon tragic and they had a whole bunch of Nikon accessories I'd heard about but never actually seen in real life. Amazing.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Martytoof posted:

Hold up, that’s Fujiya?

Yep.

There's 3 parts to it; Ground floor left, upstairs, and the accessory/tripod store.

That's ground floor left (purely Canon/Sony/Fuji). It opens at 10am with upstairs (Nikon only) and the tripod/accessories from 11.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I used this guide, super handy.

https://www.japancamerahunter.com/2012/04/camera-shopping-in-tokyo-pt-1-shinjuku/

Nakano isn't 'technically' Shunjuku, but close enough.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Animal posted:

How are the prices for used lenses at Fuyija?

They're fine, but not amazing.

I almost bought a tilt shift at Nikon Miyama Shokai last week, because they had a mint condition one for 9000yen, which is ooooh 1/4 the price of a brand new one?

My wife vetoed it, but I'll be back in May and will likely grab it. (they had 4!)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
If you can get access to the negs, this exists.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/tips-and-techniques/digitizing-film-using-the-d850-and-es-2-negative-digitizer.html

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Does anyone think that C1 does a better job of reproducing fine details from Fuji raws than ACR or the internal camera processing, or is that still just the domain of X-Transformer?

It does alright. It does far better than Camera RAW.

I also prefer C1's raw engine above Adobe's, which is partly why I switched over from Lightroom

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Ihmemies posted:

I just wish they released a FF body and stopped wasting their time with niche products. 2 big could be Sony and Fuji since they had such a long headstart to Nikon and Canon. Sony took the opportunity while Fuji wasted it completely. Now it is too late.

The difference between APS-C and Full frame is negligible for 90% of photographers, 90% of the time.

Why would you want to be the 4th best option in the FF category when you can be the best option in the APS-C category?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

qirex posted:

I don’t think Fuji is going to bother with full frame, I’d guess their medium format-ish [it’s basically 4 APS sensors, right?] size is their long term strategy for when processing and storage get faster and cheaper for it.

The Fuji product managers are on the record, multiple times, mentioning they have no intention of making full frame digital.

And to your point, yeah. GFX is for their pro customers, X-series is for the mainstream, pros, and video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'll likely dump my Nikon DSLR equipment and move to GFX with the latest releases. Looking forward to seeing reviews.