Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The point and shoot market will be killed off by camera phones within the next 2-3 years so I'd imagine manufacturers are trying to find a new market to sell to.

I guess time will tell how successful EVILs will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Man I hope not. The form of taking pictures with a phone feels all off.

Unfortunately I think the ability to direct upload to Facebook from cell phones makes it overwhelmingly appealing to the layman. Once camera quality is on par with point and shoots there won't be much reason to have a p&s. Apps like instagram are destroying in the market place.

I think trying to build a new kind of market is an interesting strategy for camera manufacturers. No idea how it'll play out though.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I can sort of see it appealing to a gadget freak who wants the "best in class" which wouldn't happen with a dSLR. That mentality might mean they'd choose an EVIL over an entry level SLR.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Mannequin posted:

There is no question that the point and shoot market has already been affected by cell phones with built-in cameras. However, saying they will be killed off in 2-3 years is a huge leap of faith that I don't buy. For one, while image quality will undoubtedly improve with new cell phones, so will that of the point & shoots. Second, assuming a phone of this caliber exists in 2-3 years only a small- or mid-sized portion of the population will actually have it -- not enough to "kill" the point and shoot. (Consider the price of phones, cost of the phone plans, the economy.) Third, there is still a need for an actual camera that acts and performs like a camera, by people who prefer to shoot this way. Sure, this group of people may be dwindling down as the years go by, but I can't imagine a complete transformation within 3 years. There are also other variables to consider, like the older generation who don't make the connection between phone and camera, and will always have one of each to perform these functions, or children, who will be given cameras as gifts, and later cell phones to keep in contact. But the camera will come first. And damnit, some things you just can't cram into a phone well enough that it mirrors the way present cameras work. It's not just about having the right sensor, it's about having the controls.

With that said, I think cell phones will continue to hurt the point & shoot market, but people today and people in 2-3 years will still want actual cameras, and they will buy them. I think it would be more accurate to say that in 10 or 20 years the point and shoot may be killed off. But for now it's still safe.

Oh yeah, 2-3 years was probably too short. It is the internet, I'm obligated to not put that much thought into what I'm saying. I'd say it'd be closer to 10 years rather than 20.

I'd disagree with you in regards to how cameras work today - overwhelmingly cameras are just a third party into getting pictures on Facebook. It's almost terrifying to see a visual representation of how dominant Facebook is with regards to images on the internet. Everyone is signing up to Facebook. Only the much much older generation are really avoiding Facebook entirely - and nobody cares about their camera habits anymore.

People have overwhelmingly shifted to using cameras with an LCD screen held away from their face in the past 6-8 years. They'll get used to new generation camera phones soon enough.

The real killer app for the consumer camera market would be to hook onto a mobile network and auto upload your photos to Facebook. Not even bother with a memory card but just have internal flash storage.

I think EVILs are an interesting way for camera manufacturers to create a new market - because interchangeable lenses are going to be the one thing you'll never find on a P&S and the EVILs are going to make it seem more friendly and less "pro" to the casual user to buy into a friendly and simple system.

Look at how often people come into the gear threads here confused and bewildered by the amount of lens choices. With these you could just say "buy x and y" because that's really all that's available.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

If you go to any events and see people taking photographs (I guess 12-30 year olds mostly) I'd say that the odds are that almost all of them are using a cell phone rather than a point & shoot.

This image really puts it into perspective:

Yeah that's the graphic I was thinking of when I said that. Thanks for grabbing it.

I'm a bit surprised that none of the big three manufacturers have gone with a "Facebook" camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Beastruction posted:

It does tend to result in greater satisfaction. It doesn't matter if there are 5 or 50 or 500 options if you can't pick out the one that's best for you

Of course once you know what you want and can eliminate the extra 495 choices yourself it's better to have them, but people who can do that aren't the target market for this stuff.

Yeah, exactly. A smaller system is much less daunting for someone who is just buying a "good" camera for the first time. Look at the first time consumers posting on this forum that are torn between zooms, primes not to mention third party manufacturers and do they need and L lens blah blah. You have so many varying reviews and experiences with each lens that it's hard to achieve any kind of consensus. Having a system that has very clear options is definitely attractive to an electronics consumer.

The Nikon EVILs aren't designed for anyone that posts on an internet forum about photography. The x100 is.