Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I would. I sold most of my f-mount gear when I moved to mFT. Only kept one film body and a couple primes. Too much clutter is distracting. :v:
No plans for a new pancake have been announced to my knowledge, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I spent way too much on this lens cap, but it beats the lovely third-party metal screw-on one that came with the lens, and makes me feel :smug:

My GF1 usually has a Super-tak 50mm on it with the pentax slip-on cap, and a nikon speedlight on the shoe if I'm doing something inside. I'm afraid it makes me look like some kind of hipster, but I'm really just cheap. :ssh:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Was it sold as gray market? Because if it didn't come with a us charger it probably didn't come with a us warranty.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Cacator posted:

Are "X" and "1" the only cool letters and numbers these days?

In Japan, yes. At least we're finally over the "GP"/"GT" hump.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

The 20mm is pretty great. I usually carry it and an M42 50mm as my 'kit.' Either a SuperTak, which is fairly small and light or a f/1.4 sears(ricoh).
You might want to look at the Oly 17mm since Panny discontinuing the 20 has completely fetishized it and the prices aren't going down. You might also want to hold off buying anything at all for a little while. Troll your local craigslist for gearfags (lol) dumping u43 stuff once the Fuji starts shipping. Not to mention Tokina and Tamron are now in the game. Their offerings should be interesting.
I'm hoping for a 45mm 1:1 Macro from Tamron :allears:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Apologies, its discontinuation as a kit lens.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

If it's cheap/when the price tanks on clearance, I want one. Reminds me of what the future was supposed to look like. :3:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

eggsovereasy posted:

I didn't know they still made cases like that. Do you like it so far?

I've got the same style case for my GF1, it's great. Got it from a zshop on amazon. They had versions with a top half sized for the pancake lenses or the kit zoom.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

High ISO isn't bad. If you're coming from film or an older DSLR, it's loving amazing. I sold my D200 and much of my F mount stuff and got the GF1, I regret nothing.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Why not just use an off shoe cord?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'm in a holding pattern for native u43 lenses until Tamron and Tokina's offerings are announced. Hopefully, they'll be unique and not just a mount swap of something currently in production.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I can second fotodiox for mechanical adapters anyway, I've got their M42 and AD2 to MFT and they're well put together for the price.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'm very excited for any impressions of the sigma 30 or 19 on MFT. Have they announced ship dates yet?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

These have been available for a while. I met a guy in NYC who works for B&H Photo and he had both of them along with his E-P2. I got to try them out on his camera and they seem nice. I didn't get to look at the end results of course but he seems really happy with both lenses.

Ah, last I checked B&H they were listed as pre-order. That was during Passover though, so it probably just wasn't updated. I've got the 20mm, but am interested in the 30mm just for a change of pace.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

HPL posted:

If you're not going to shoot in low light much, get the m43.

I know people say this all the time about all kinds of digital cameras but really, even the horrible-over-400 D200 is better than high speed color print films. I don't like the jpegs from my GF1 over ~1000 but the raws at 1600 are nicer than the scans I used to make from Press 1600. Does everybody need squeaky clean images at 6400 now?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'd probably go for the GX1. They're starting to come down, there was a slickdeal the other day wih kit lens for about 400.
I love my GF1, but the GF1/2/3 are mostly the same outside of image processing improvements(and dumbing down of UI). So GX1 or one of the Pens is the way to go, IMO.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

^I dumped almost all my F mount gear when I switched to MFT. Kept a film body and a couple of my favorite lenses. That was a couple years ago, I can count the times I've used them on one hand. Most of the time I end up using my 35AF point and shoot rather than lug the SLR for film.

Nice picks though, I could shoot forever with that set up and maybe a tamron 90mm macro if/when they bring the drat thing over native. The adaptall version is great but I'm getting to old to not have AF. :v:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sigma 19mm is a cheaper option and is actually pretty nice. Tamron or vivitar 28 would be cheaper still if you don't mind adapted lenses. All that said, the panny 20 is one of my favorite lenses.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Empty Pockets posted:

Also, something that struck me as odd about the lens: the E mount version is $1100. Why so much price differential between the versions?

I'd like to say because it's RF coupled, but it's also just because it's what the market will bear. The noctilux is $11k.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

^^^ Throw a Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8 on there and call it a day. Concerts you might want something longer throw, I love my Tamron SP 35-80 for parades and things. Hell of a lot cheaper than the 12-35. :v:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Helicity posted:

That Fuji X-E1 is really nice looking and is tempting me towards selling my X100. I don't understand how Fuji can make these beautiful cameras, and then companies like Pentax think they can release things like the K01 and compete.

The K01 is great! Its race towards the clearance rack is making me really excited about being able to stop adapting M42 lenses to my GF1. :v:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

You add a zero for the fetishists.
Another Pentax Q announced, and a K-to-Q adapter. So they're all in I guess. This one is kind of cute. :3:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Augmented Dickey posted:

Not sure how to feel about this. Supposedly it will be well under $100.

I'm way down with this. I shot with the Nikon 35AF for years. I don't mind the fixed aperture but I wish it were at least f/5.6. Oh well, if it's really streets under a hundy I'll deal with it.

e: $50 :drat:

Startyde fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 18, 2012

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

My last vacation I had a similar trifecta, panny 20, and two adapted lenses- super tak 50, and tamron sp 35-80. A bit heavier than your choice but it wasn't any trouble.
I've got a gf1, which I love, but I wouldn't call it a low light dynamo. All of the older ones outside the GHes are rough above 800. Wasn't a problem for me since I rarely shot faster on film, but something to think about. The GX1 does much better if you can swing it.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

^Man that OM-D at 1250. I love my GF1 but god drat. OOC it's better than what I get at 400. GX1 prices can't fall quick enough!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Well it's definitely the cheapest. It's also got better OOC JPEGs than the cheap Panny GFs and stabilization that'll work with adapted lenses.
I've had luck with the Fotodiox adapters, I've got them for M42 and Adaptall.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Looks like an F3 had sex with a coolpix 990.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Aargh posted:

I'm starting to seriously consider selling off all my Canon gear to fund another lens for the X-Pro 1. Any of you guys get rid of a DSLR when you went mirrorless rather than keeping it around? Anything you miss?

Sold my D200 when I bought into MFT, kept my N90ses for Tri-X. I do miss the VF but I'm going too blind to focus anyway. I picked up one of those eveready-style leatherette cases that fits around the body and 20mm pancake so it's with me 90% of the time.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

Do you miss the Nikon? I am a few days away from ordering an OMD instead of a D7000...

Nope. The 20 is as good or better than my favorite early 50 f/2, my other favorite lenses are adaptall or M42 anyway so I use them. I do miss having a front wheel, which is present on the Oly. I also miss a good short throw zoom but that's because I'm a dirty poor and won't be buying the 12-35mm.

Having a pair of D70s die on me, that didn't meter with most of my lenses anyway, and then the lackluster performance of the D200 left a bad taste in my mouth. So it wasn't difficult for me to jump ship. I regret nothing and will probably pick up a GX1 while I wait for the OMD2 to drop so I can get an OMD. :v:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

Thank you for the response, I keep hearing the same thing on the Internet. But dropping $1200 on the wrong camera is a fear I live with for now.

Eh, look for regret in a purchase and you'll find it every time.
The D is new enough that you'll get 95% of what you paid if you hate it and sell it before xmas. I wouldn't buy from a place without a good return policy, in any case.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

Pentax K-01 supremacy :smug:
...and they're finally starting to get cheap. $316 on B&H right now is p tempting. Something uglier and more awkward than my old GF1 but dat sensor. :swoon:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

I was just talking about the 30 day amazon return policy, sorry about that. Warranty was the wrong term.

B&H's is full purchase price until Jan 18th, keep it under 200 clicks.
I might have to pull the trigger. All my old pentax gear is M42 but it's just so cheap! Of course they're OOS of the official M42 adaptor, the HK ones' reviews range from 'it works' to 'it stuck and required service that included metal filngs being removed.' :(

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

...unless one´s hobby is being a gear-pig instead of taking photos.
photographers.txt

Speaking of

Startyde posted:

I might have to pull the trigger.
Despair, sell me something. Got anything 24-35 in K/KA or a K/KA adaptall?

Startyde fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 15, 2012

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Radbot posted:

Decently hot deal today on the Pentax K-01, all three colors (not just Yellow!) and their weird 40mm ultra compact lens. $299 @ Groupon: http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-pentax-digital-camera

Motherfucker.

Well, here's a trip report from my not-$299 K-01 kit—
I think it handles pretty well, I like its chunk 'grip' better than my GF1's. It's glacially slow compared to it though. Firmware update helped with AF a little bit but it's still nothing to write home about. JPEG write performance is much better than RAW, but I wasn't impressed with the OOC jpegs at all. Couldn't find a image mode I liked. They're all global, too and have no user preset options. No matter what tweaking I did with white balance there was an odd magenta cast, and not just with the kit lens. The kit lens is reasonably sharp, though worse than the Panny 20 and has cromabs everywhere.
Shooting with K-mount stuff is easier on the GF1. I guess the crippled KAF mount is common knowledge for modern pentaxians but I skipped AF bodies and was amazed that you don't get a match needle using it. Even when stopped down. The green button simply sets the shutter speed.
Focus peaking is loving amazing and the RAWs are gorgeous. Low light performance is spectacular, as long as you're doing the focusing. If I had more SMC-A glass or if Adaptall KA mounts weren't $lolwut then I'd probably keep it.

If you want a P&S with great RAWs and a reasonable prime I'd say it's tough to beat at $299 though.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Try Focal Point, he has a pretty good reputation for dealing with tricky stuff. You might be better off rolling the dice on ebay though, the prices on those have jumped quite a bit. Might make more than you paid for it.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'd say grab an OM-D and glue the panny 20 to it.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

krooj posted:

Catte action shot was impossible.

Throw it in the garbage. :colbert:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

The touch screen interface isn't horrible, the quick bar is customizable which helps a lot. Image quality is great and it's rather pocketable.

spog posted:

I like a lot of low-light work

It'll do better than your S90 but don't expect amazing performance over 1600 from a first gen MFT sensor. The OOC JPEGs are a lot better than they were in the GF1 but you're still confined to what it'll squeeze out of that sensor. That's a good deal on a good camera, I think you'll love it as long as you've got tempered expectations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

The depreciation of digital gear would scare me away personally. Nevermind that you could get a high-end scanner, a stone mint M6 or a couple bessas/minoltas and a few lenses for the price of one body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

spog posted:

According to Amazon prices, the kit with the big lens is £295, the small lens is £483....is it really worth £188 for a smaller, but not faster, lens?

It's about the same or worse, depending on who you ask. I'd wager there's quite a bit of sample variation since some rate it higher than the older 14-45 and some say it's worse than even the old oly kit. It's only small when not in use, it extends when you turn the camera on. Its main advantage is that it's quiet/smooth for video use. I wouldn't bother with the expense.