Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is the LUMIX G VARIO 100-300mm F4.0-5.6 worth it for 340 bucks? I'm thinking yes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Linedance posted:

I have this lens, so I can answer any specifics. For that price it's worth a punt. It isn't great for birds, compared to say a Canon 400mm f5.6, but it does the job. It does a fair job for motor racing pictures if the light is good. As far as feel goes, it feels a bit rinky-dink but that doesn't seem to affect it's operation. The built in stabilization will eat your battery, so you'll need a spare unless you're using Olympus. The 100mm end can actually be a bit long for when you're confined by a barrier, as you can't necessarily stand right up against it and have to wait for space.
I've taken some good, clear, crisp shots with it, but compared directly to my partner's 70d/400mm setup, it doesn't stack up at all. It is very portable though and unobtrusive though, for a long lens. For that price, it's worth trying out.
Eventually I'll get around to processing my Le Mans pics to see just how well it worked.
Have you noticed any purple artifacts/fringes around edges? I'll be using Olympus and I don't think it's an issue with Panasonic to Panasonic so I doubt you've seen it. They could be taken care of with lightroom but :effort:

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 7, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If it's stated as delivered you should be good to go. Do an A-Z claim. You got insurance and tracking so Amazon should back you.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It has two jetstreams like a jet?

/e or contrails

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

the42ndtourist posted:

Is there much difference between the M10 and M5 other than "weatherproofing"?
The EVF for the 10 has a faster display I believe and focus peaking which is fun.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Not speaking as an authority for cameras, but for electronics you generally don't want to use anything but ISO as that will evaporate off quickly.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gonna be a 100-400 mft lens :getin:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

So with the m43 Pano Leica 100-400mm that's on the way, what sort of price point should I be expecting? I'm curious if I should just give up hope and "settle" for the not-dust/water-sealed Oly M.Zuiko 75-300mm. :(

All I've got right now is the 12-50mm that came with my E-M5, and I would like something that would allow me to get wildlife shots while I'm hiking without having to creep up towards things that could gore me to death/off a cliff.
The non pro 40-150 was 100 bucks or so new all last month so there're likely a decent one floating around for that if you'd like a stopgap. I'd assume the 100-400 will be more than 600 though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DJExile posted:

For what it's worth, the 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro has a button on it that you can default to trigger the "digital teleconverter" (basically halves the size of the sensor), which covers a pretty drat good range and keeps the quality pretty decent. I'll get some comparison pictures up soon if I can.
This? http://www.camerastuffreview.com/olympus-lens-review/review-olympus-1-4-teleconverter

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There is no tripod though

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The sale prior to Halloweens was Summer in late June.

Maybe Black Friday/x-mas will help you out but I think the sales are also restricted by refurbished stock.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I want that but I'm going to wait for the new body. The em10 is far too small for that thing; the 12-40 is pushing it even with the grip on. I love having a pocket cam though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bizzaro Quik posted:

I noticed this too. Think its worth buying a couple to just re-sell them? I have no clue if they stick to 99$ or what.
They've been bundled with things for 50 bucks too. There's a better panny 25 and a few others. I doubt your margins would be any good.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

It was more that nothing sold me on the 5 over the 10 to be honest. For slightly less money than the E-M5 body on its own, I got the 10 with 14-42, 40-150 and 45 1.8.
You might be able to save another 100 or so bucks if you wait on that glass untill Friday. I'm going to jump on the 60mm Macro @ 400.

Also, please give a trip report with the em10ii's simulated ovf.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oly Reconditioned have another 20% off with CYBER20

EM1 or EM5mkII for 575.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's telling that you're the only person who advocates for the system, but fyi Olympus and Sony have IBIS that allows for 1/2 second handheld exposures (two years ago) with Panasonic near behind.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

windex posted:

But this is where the disconnect is between my thoughts and threads thoughts:

Your proposition assumes the camera is the more important part of the equation. Over the lenses.

It's not. :)
He wasn't making the claim that the camera is most important, nor has anyone when talking about the EOS system. The native lens system is garbage and being able to adopt a 70-200 is applicable to literally any other mirrorless system (and you would want to buy Sony to also take advantage of native sony E and FE mounts) while not having the ability to have a small, compact system.

G7 is one of the larger M43 camera available with an equivalent lens:
http://j.mp/1NlGNCy

Which would cost well less than the 70-200 in total.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

E-M10 II review: this sucks, I hate it, and I can't pinpoint why... but where's my Fuji poo poo?
Do you have the grip and supermenu enabled?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

With all of you who've moved to the em5mkii, how do you like the focus stacking and the highres shots? I'm currently using the 10 which takes a picture pretty drat well and am planning on upgrading for the em1mkii for the better ibis, stacking, high res shot and probable new sensor. I figure the 5, being so cheap with the Canadian exchange rates, may be worth grabbing for the winter for the high res and stacking shots.

I also sorta want to try and dump the 10 while I can still get over 200 for it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Am I missing something or are used E-M 10s a crazy good deal right now? Is there a good reason to shell out the extra 500 bucks if you don't need the 5 axis stabilization?
IQ is on par so not really. Given that I'd dump mine for 250 as I want focus stacking

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DaNzA posted:

Is IBIS that useful in crop body with lower pixel count? Seems like it's not that useful in shorter focal lengths with lower pixel count sensor since the blur isn't that obvious in the first place. Versus something like the 5Ds/R where its pretty much always blurry when pixel peeping unless you are shooting on a tripod.
IBIS is pretty awesome, it really lets you use a lower shutter or more importantly, for me, gives some cushion for sloppy shooting. For the extreme, look at some of the 1/10th handheld shots with the new Oly 300 and em5mkii or em1.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I put my em10 in my pocket with other poo poo with no screen protector and it seems fine.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Their own I think? Will this sensor be similar to that one that read rbg in every pixel?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd buy a m43 sigma sensor body in a second. Gotta see every hair in my dog shots.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fruit Chewy posted:

I've been looking to drop around $300-350 on a (probably used) camera because I'm tired of my smartphone, I'm going on vacation, and I collect hobbies. My #1 contender so far is the RX100 because it seems like a wildly good bang for your buck at $200 used for the mk.1. However, I'm not opposed to stepping up a bit on price and size. Does the mirrorless world have anything good to offer me if I don't plan on owning more than one or two lenses ever?
probably not unless you think you will want to take very specific shots i.e. macro.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That 12-40 though, what a lens.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Whatever 25 is sharp as well and if not now, can probably be got for less than 150 when the 1.2 or 1.4 old prime is released this summerish

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Later this year they are going to have 'pro' 1.2 or 1.4 primes which ought to be weathersealed

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I was able to handle the oly 300 f4 today. The difference between focus speed and accuracy was quite dramatic between my 10 and the em1 (I really like the EVF and general feel of the 1, cannot wait for the fall and the mk2). Indoors it was quite easy to get 1/10th handheld with the latter. I was also surprised about how small the 14-140 is and sorta wish I had that instead of my cheap 40-150 to just dick around with at the dog park.
/e- also that sigma 30 1.4 feels pretty solid.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Solid and the weight is well balanced, imo moreso than the 40-150. Although I did keep pulling the focus ring to manual on accident. I had the lfn set to 2x zoom and that was just fun.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Any Olympus owners here ever have a problem with suddenly losing lens/camera communication? At least, I think that's what was going on with my e-m10.

Aperture value display would show -.- and the viewfinder would black out, and I'd hear the shutter sound that happens when I turn off the camera. Reseating the lens and turning the camera off/on would only fix it for a moment. Then I took the lens off and fiddled with the pin that sits in the face of the lens mount ring; it gets depressed when you slide a lens into the bayonet, then, as the lens is rotated, the pin finds a hole in the facing lens' mount and pops up into it. (Very sexy). I felt that the pin had a little wobble too it. Tried a different lens and the problem was still there. Then I put the original lens back on, powered up again, and when the blackout happened I twisted the lens a little more and heard a very faint click. Now it seems to work fine, but I haven't tested it extensively. Reseated the lens and switched the camera on/off again several times and the issue hasn't reoccurred.

But here's the thing: Maybe I just haven't noticed it before, or maybe I'm going slightly insane, but while I was examining the lens mount I could swear that the camera's sensor was out of alignment. It looked like it had slid a few millimeters to the left, leaving more of a gap between the sensor and the plastic housing on the right side, and the plastic was covering more of the left side than it should. Maybe I'm just having OCD hallucinations, but I also noticed a behavior that has maybe always been there and I am just now noticing (which is why I'm asking), but, the image in the viewfinder seems to shift when the IBIS disengages. I know the IBIS works by essentially levitating the sensor with magnets (I've played around with it without a lens on before to observe the effect) so I'd expect that maybe the sensor 'drops' just a fraction of a mm when the magnet deactivates, but with everything else going on I'm left scratching my head, wondering if maybe the sensor is misaligned and the screen/aperture blackout is happening because it's moving too far off of center.

It's so weird to me. Now the sensor appears to be back in the correct position. I've got warranty coverage on the em10, but I've heard that Oly service is slow as balls and there's a shoot on the 21st that I really want to bring this camera to. I guess I'll just have to hope the problem doesn't reappear.

Has anyone had something like this happen with their OM-D of PEN cameras before? Is there a small but noticeable shift apparent the EVF when IBIS goes from on to off?
The original em10 has a notoriety for a tight mount, although I've had your issue twice or so total. If it's frequent that's worth a warranty imo while it's free.

I don't think I've ever looked at the sensor, lens off, and had it centered, mine is usually crooked by a few degrees and off to a side. A bodycap lens if you have one might be a good diagnostic? I'm not sure how well the ibis will be a true representation of itself with a lens off unless you keyed in a manual FL.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Are there any good compact systems out there at the moment with a lower end/older body and a decent 50mm or 35mm equiv for under about $600 USD? Prime like that preferred but lovely kitty zoom would do if it's not complete garbage and is within that budget.

Friend wants a recommendation for their kid which they can grow into, upgrade body and buy more lenses down the line.

m43 25mm (50 equiv) 1.8 or 1.7 can be had for ~200 easy and a used or older body under 400. If you go kit I believe the panny is better than oly. The better panny cameras have some cool features which will be good for kid photos like being able to choose a still +/- some seconds from when you actually pressed the shutter.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That 14-150 is weather sealed right? I was somewhat surprised how small it was when I handled it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

not everyone must buy a Fuji that enters the thread and I made the same choice RE: feel vs features with Olympus VR a6000.

You'll get better AF once you ditch the kit i would assume. I like the Panasonic 20 pancake, the first version but autofocus is slow. If that'll allow you to just throw the camera in your pocket I highly recommend it. Any of the 25s are good.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you don't mind buying used an em10 or em5 can be found for cheap, probably the pl7 too. There's a PL8 coming out soon which should have the same pricepoint as the pl7 now if you must get new.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

drat graymarket 40-150 pro is cheaper than the recon + 20% off.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

tax dependent

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-M-ZUIKO-DIGITAL-ED-40-150mm-f2-8-PRO-Lens-for-M4-3-M43-S5428-/201226346392?rmvSB=true

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is that a new old one? You'll finally be able to make a camerzooka

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DJExile posted:

This is the OM (film) mount 350mm f/2.8. It is a god damned tank of a lens.

3.9kilos, 8.6 lbs.

I've been trying to find a reasonably priced one for years and finally did.

congrats man, I wish I had 7k to burn on the zuko 300 f2.8 (or even 2.5 on the f4). Do you know if they resolve similarly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Panasonic is better for video, the GH series specifically. You may be able to find used in your range.