Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
sorry if this is a well-trod topic around here but is "DxO Mark" real poo poo or bull poo poo?

to the point, do i really believe that the newer version of the panasonic 20mm is somehow less sharp than the older version on their say-so? i thought i read they were identical except for the housing.

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Pana...sus-competition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
also, while i'm in here, is there a consensus about the panasonic 20mm/1.7 vs the olympus 17mm/1.8? i think i might prefer the 17mm focal length but i saw some pixel peepin nerdos saying the panasonic is noticeably sharper

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Dxo has really weird testing algorithms that they don't share with anyone. But according to them, the Canon 50mm 1.8 is a better lens than the 600 f4 IS vII so make of that what you will.

i can't make anything of this, m4/3 is my first foray into having a non-terrible camera. but, i mean, i guess i can infer your point.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
i have not been in the "reading camera nerd poo poo on the internet" game long but does steve huff ever NOT love something? has steve huff ever just like... completely trashed a product?

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
on a scale from 1 to a lot how dumb am i for wanting that silver e-m1 when i already own an e-m5

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
how much lead-rumor time is there on new bodies anyway? I wasn't paying much attention to the rumor mill at the time and bought the E-M5 right before the E-M1 first came out. I've been a little salty ever since and would like to avoid a similar situation, but I don't know whether or not paying any attention would have even helped? Assuming the E-M1 is superseded on the same timeframe as the E-M5 (no idea if this is a reasonable assumption or not) a new body would be out in April or May 2015. Seems unlikely to me, and I wasn't able to find anything rumored yet, but does anyone who follows this stuff have a better idea?

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I've come to love my M5 more and more except one thing .. the stupid eye cup that continually falls off. I finally lost it now.

that stupid little piece of crap is like 15 bucks to replace, too

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

404notfound posted:

I've always liked this explanation, since it gives a very clear visual representation:

the middle scenario here is the one i was never really able to grasp intuitively until i saw this just now, and then looked down at a lens with a depth of field scale on it, thought about it for a second, and facepalmed.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

JHVH-1 posted:

The Olympus lens cap fisheye is cheap fun. I bought the other lens cap lens while it was on a flash sale so now I have both. Fixed f/8 but that makes it easy for focusing cause there is basically a little bit of manual focusing up close and infinity for everything else. It makes the camera fit easily in my small iPad bag which isn't that deep, with room for a couple full size lenses so I am digging it.

PC250143 by joshua_doesnt_know, on Flickr

that looks pretty sharp - everything's always all gummy and soft on mine. can't really complain for a $60 toy though i guess. or do you know something i don't?

Twenty-Seven fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 27, 2014

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
you guys are kinda bitchy huh

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
a friend of mine has it and it's enormous. if you haven't seen it in person, i'd bet it's bigger than you're imagining it.

he's very pleased with it (got a good deal used though, 310 still sounds a little steep to me, personally) as far as i know, but it's definitely going to impact the overall portability/pocketability of the situation

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
he says yeah, "like 30%" of it and "you wouldn't use it"

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

spankmeister posted:

Try photorec.

or don't be a big fuckin weirdo

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkLNW38OVNo

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

DJExile posted:

E: Holy balls you can have grids and crosshairs imposed on the EVF/Live View screen that is rad as fuuuuuuuuuuck

could the e-m5 not do that as well? i thought it could

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
friend of mine regularly gets in places with a panasonic gx and the 20mm pancake. even though it's an interchangeable lens apparently they're just looking for big honking DSLRs.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
the pana 20 focuses so slowly (on olympus bodies, at least) compared to the newer olympus lenses that i'd only recommend it if that exact focal length or the pocketability was a must. personally.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
i thought the 35 was the fuji lens people really liked to lose their minds over?

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
It might be Stockholm syndrome at this point as I've owned olympus bodies for a few years now, but I don't really get why their menu systems get so clowned... the odd setting here or there is awkwardly worded but you can usually figure it out pretty quickly. I definitely appreciate there not being any god drat animated transitions between menu screens which i remember seeing once on a panasonic body a while ago.

In any case, it's definitely possible to get used to them, at least.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

MeruFM posted:

the only thing keeping me on m43 and not switching to a7 is the lens sizes. Where a fast prime is the same weight/size as a super-telephoto. So i'm just here waiting for better sensor technology...

ahh physics :allears:

haha yeah, i was feeling some similar full frame lust until i got one look at that 35mm 1.4 zeiss

:stonklol:

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
this updated to say olympus firmware 4.0 is out on the 25th, a week from today, rather than "late november"

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
i also agree that the xpro2 will be older than cameras that come out after it

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
olympus firmware's out http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/upgrade?ref=CJ

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
isn't an a6000 successor supposed to be out soon? might be worth waiting to see what that's like and/or what it does to a6000 prices

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

Saros posted:

The X-E2s only seems marginally different from the X-E2 and certainly not really worth making a new model over, my concern is that it will cause X-E2 owners (me :() to get screwed out of future firmware updates.

it seems strange to me to put it out now, 3 years after the X-E2, when presumably an X-E3 with the new sensor is only a handful of months / a year away if they follow the general X-Pro -> X-E -> X-T progression people seem to be expecting

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
anyone have a line on a good small backpack for mirrorless? i'd like to be able to carry a body w/lens and an additional lens or two with some nice padding and not much else. there are plenty of slings/shoulder bags the size i'm looking for, but all the backpacks are huge with room for laptops and/or super dorky. i'm getting old and my back will apparently no longer put up with any asymmetry back there whatsoever.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
ya boy is getting some too-good-to-pass-up deals on fuji lenses from a friend who's leaving the system, so i'm probably going to make the switch because i'm stupid and hate having money. i was thinking of ebay renting an x-e1 or x-e2 while i wait for the x-t2 so i can play with my new toys, but i'm surprised at how much they seem to cost still. ballpark i'm seeing x-e1 for 360 shipped or an x-e2 for around 600 shipped, both CAD. does that sound about right? do y'all thnk i'd be able to make most of my money back on that later this year/next year/whenever? is there somewhere i should be looking (especially in canada) other than craigslist, ebay and keh?

thanks pals

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
depends how much of a discount we're talking about i guess? i'll be visiting the folks back home pretty soon so the shipping could be within the US if the timing works out right. maybe PM me and we can sort it out there ahead of making it official?

edit: and yeah the canadian dollar is way in the toilet right now so 360 CAD would be like 275 USD

Twenty-Seven fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 2, 2016

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
what's the goonpinion on the XF18-135mm? It'd be nice to have weather sealing on a walk around travel zoom but if it's giving up a lot in IQ to the 18-55 I can live without it & the extra reach. reviews i've read seem kind of split on the issue.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I assume most Fuji folks are following other sites already since this hasn't been reposted here, but here goes anyway:

Announcement in 2 days, apparently.

i did end up ebay renting an x-e1 for the time being and i can't say i'm loving it. i've gotten some beautiful images out of it of course, but coming from a recent m4/3 body it's a pretty stark contrast in terms of AF speed & accuracy. i know there's other canada (and even vancouver) nerds up in here -- what's generally the most reliable way to get a new body as close to release as possible around here? i'm usually a "wait for the first price drop" kind of guy but i don't think i'll be able to take it on this one. i travel back to the US a lot so that could be an option too if canada is often way behind.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

Aargh posted:

its because selfies are dumb and anyone taking one with anything other than a phone needs to be bludgeoned to death with their camera.

settle down beavis

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
is k-rock the ghost meter guy or is that some other guy

edit: oh yeah it's steve huff nevermind http://huffparanormal.com/about-me/

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
yeah, amazon.ca.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This and the 35/2 are my only lenses, but if the upcoming 23/2 is as good as the 35/2 I'll likely "downgrade" from the 1.4.

how come? the 35/2 doesn't seem THAT much smaller, really, than the big guy. the 23/1.4 already has the better focusing motor compared to the 35/1.4, right? just the weather sealing? or do you think the 23/2 will focus even faster?

the 23/1.4 is one of the lenses i inherited making the switch and it's great. i shoot indoors low light with it fairly often so i definitely want to keep the extra stop, personally, but i'm just curious.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
where'd you order yours? amazon.ca just sent me a er .. very pessimistic shipping estimate. hopefully they're just sandbagging / haven't taken into account that i should be pretty early in line.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
i wonder if the 3rd party companies are going to make versions of the new 'S' fuji battery or just rebadge / not bother

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
purely out of curiosity -- does anyone know the reason the extended ISO settings aren't available when the X-T2 (and presumably X-T1/10, idk) is using the electronic shutter? is there some technical reason you gotta use the mechanical shutter? i tried some cursory googling and came up empty.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
while we're still having fuji lenschat - how does the autofocus on the 55-200 hold up on newer bodies? and what's the general opinion of that lens? i'm interested in dipping my toe in some longer FLs / vaguely sports-ish stuff, but definitely not interested enough to shell out for the 50-140.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
Has anyone figured out any tips, tricks, incantations or spells to make the fuji camera remote app reliable? It either works fine (about 25% of the time) or not at all, and it's driving me pretty insane. I have a 6s and an X-T2. It's a noticeable step down from the Olympus app which itself is ... pretty bad.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
ah so the "change phone" every time thing is the trick? 1 for 1 so far, i'll keep trying next time it's acting up. thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
a 6s, i mentioned in the post. to be honest it has other weird problems joining, for example, airport wifi sometimes that no one else seems to, so maybe the phone is just haunted. who knows. technology is bad.