Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I was ready to buy a Nikon DSLR and started thinking that I really don't (won't) want to drag all that poo poo around Europe. The last trip I used my crackberry and s95 for 90% of my photos because we walked every where and i did not want to hassle with weight. we tend to wander about like idiots from daylight to dark with no schedule.

I find the Canon s95 and new iPhone great cameras but they lack speed and flexibility in low light situations. Are the 4/3 cameras really my answer?

I was considering an older generation body with the kits lens and the lenses listed below. Would these really be tolerable to carry all day?

Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f/2.8
Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.8
Panasonic 45-200mm f/4.0-5.6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The 9-18 and a 45-200 plus the 45 prime would be doable, I want the 45 for a portrait lens. I guess I need to spurge in the bodies to see how old and low cost I can go and still get something relatively decent.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Augmented Dickey posted:

If you don't want to blow $600 on the 9-18, the Panasonic 14mm is a fantastic little lens too. I don't really see any reason to buy the 17mm- it's a decent lens but the 14mm is sharper, smaller, and has much better AF.

I don't want to blow a dime more than I have too, thanks for the tip :)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I have been looking at the Olympus PL2, any reason I wouldn't want this camera. I would probably add a viewfinder, one day.

The panny 14
Samyang 7.5 fisheye
Kit lens 14-42
Insert a zoom lens here 45-200?
42 f1.8

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

SupahCoolX posted:

I would personally skip the kit zoom. Panny 14 (get it on eBay for $150 parted from a kit in Asia, crazy deal at that price) + Panny 20 + Oly 45mm is widely considered the way to go on m43.

Sub in the Oly 12, Panny 25, or Oly 75 if you want to spend more money. Fisheye is a specialty lens, so up to you.

Tele zooms are all fairly common, and I don't know that any is considered a blowaway lens. The Oly 40-150 or Panny 45-200 are generally good and affordable (Oly is smaller and lighter, but Panny has a little extra reach).

After killing to much time looking at specs I really want to save for the OM-D, but the deals at cameta on a refurbished E-P3 are tempting I just wish it had a view finder. I really wish there were less good choices. Will I hate myself if I get the P-L3 or E-P3 instead of the OM-D?

Funds will drive me to a prime kit as suggested with one zoom or the fish eye for "i want one" reasons. If I could afford the 12,25,75 I would have already ordered it. Just looking at the 75 gives me a warm fuzzy feeling..

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 26, 2012

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Not having a view finder on a camera is a hindrance, seriously considering the E-P2 or 3 so I can get the glass I want, then upgrade to a E-P5 or OMD later.. I am saving for a trip to Europe and my goals are conflicting right now, I have to have the camera and glass before I go.

(I am a poor middle class goon with three high school college kids)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Kedzie posted:

I messed around with my new Panasonic 25mm f1.4 last night on my OM-D, and I felt like a puma or something creeping around in the dark. My composition skills are still sorely lacking, but I can finally capture sharp images hand held in super low light. I'm coming from the 12-50 f3.5 kit lens, so this is a big revelation to me. I highly recommend fast primes to everyone, weeee!

Pics? How is the lot lens for day to day stuff?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

ghableska posted:

Is it likely that a GX2 is due for release soon? I was thinking of pulling the trigger for a GX1, but if a successor is coming out I might wait.

Why not an OMD? Curious because I am considering a OMD.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Startyde posted:

Sold my D200 when I bought into MFT, kept my N90ses for Tri-X. I do miss the VF but I'm going too blind to focus anyway. I picked up one of those eveready-style leatherette cases that fits around the body and 20mm pancake so it's with me 90% of the time.

Do you miss the Nikon? I am a few days away from ordering an OMD instead of a D7000...

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Startyde posted:

Nope. The 20 is as good or better than my favorite early 50 f/2, my other favorite lenses are adaptall or M42 anyway so I use them. I do miss having a front wheel, which is present on the Oly. I also miss a good short throw zoom but that's because I'm a dirty poor and won't be buying the 12-35mm.

Having a pair of D70s die on me, that didn't meter with most of my lenses anyway, and then the lackluster performance of the D200 left a bad taste in my mouth. So it wasn't difficult for me to jump ship. I regret nothing and will probably pick up a GX1 while I wait for the OMD2 to drop so I can get an OMD. :v:

Thank you for the response, I keep hearing the same thing on the Internet. But dropping $1200 on the wrong camera is a fear I live with for now.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

krackmonkey posted:

I lucked out and found my OM-D body for $749 used with about 800 clicks on it, leaving me with the difference a kit would have cost me to put into the much superior 45/1.8.

I see Olympus is giving the 45 as a bonus to OM-D buyers across the pond, it astounds me that they aren't making a similar offer here for the holiday season, as it would be a huge boon to sales, I'd think.

I think I will buy the 12-50 and then add the 600ft flash 60mm macro and 45mm lens later.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Augmented Dickey posted:

Uh that flash sounds kind of dangerous dude.

Sh-t fl-600 flash!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Turnquiet posted:

Now that my wife's Galaxy S3 is taking better quality photos than our Panasonic DMC-TZ5 (seriously, that thing just cannot figure out CFL lighting), I am thinking of picking up a new P&S-style for Christmas. Amazon has the PEN E-PL1 for $269, and reviews indicate it is pretty good. I want something that is markedly better than any cellphone camera and my old P&S.

This will be used to shoot kids, family events, staged baby photos, things like that. Am I on the right track for quality photos for a pretty good value? I like the idea of it running in dummy mode but still allowing fine control if you wander the menu. I am no photographer, so I don't really feel the need to quick adjust those settings with dials on the body, so no worries there. I just need to take some shots to put in a photo album that wont look like rear end.

$199 at Cameta Camera

http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-E-PL1-Micro-4-3-Digital-Camera-14-42mm-Lens-Black-Black-Factory-Demo-52477.cfm

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Turnquiet posted:

Nice, but it is a refurb, and out of stock to boot.

Edit- Actually, I can get a new body plus a lense and a butt ton of accessories for a decent price at that place. Is Cameta well regarded?

If a refurb. is acceptable call em. Cameta is well regarded and you can buy with confidence.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

OMD with 12-50 and 60mm macro lens - I will pull the trigger on that exact combo as soon as we move.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thomas Hogan has a funny article on mirrorless cameras.

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/what-constitutes-value.html

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Digital Jesus posted:

My sister has expressed interest in getting into photography so I'm thinking about getting her a mirrorless (and Understanding Exposure) for Christmas. She has a tendency to lose interest in things so I'm not going to spend a lot... Although I'd probably reclaim it if it were left gathering dust!

The Olympus E-PM1 with 14-42 seems to run around $200-300 on eBay which is pretty tempting. Any opinions on it, or alternatives to consider? I didn't mind spending a bit more if it's a dud.

Edit: Hmm seems like I can get a E-PM1 kit from B&H for 249 + post anyway. I guess those eBay deals aren't anything amazing! It's $499 RRP here :australia:

If cameta camera will ship to you they have the same kit for $189

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Probably just spent some of my annual bonus, waiting for actual user reviews.

I think the lens and body plus the 60mm macro will solve my imaginary problems.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Just get them a canon s95 or whatever rev is out now

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Broek down and bought a reconditioned E-M5 and 12-50 to replace my S95..

Now I need the 60mm, 45mm, fisheye, and Pany 100-300mm lenses.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

rawrr posted:

Does anyone have an answer to this? I sort of asked this before too, and it's basically the biggest barrier to entry for me, even though picking up an used em-5 intrigues me. There seems to be a lack of a Tamron 17-50/2.8 equivalent (useful range, cheap, sharp, fast), with both the Olympus and Panny being $1000 retail. Are mirrorless lenses usually more expensive than their dslr equivalents? For some reason I always assumed that they'd be cheaper.

In my opinion they are a little higher priced than they could / should I want. But the size weight savings are what tipped me over to an oly e-m5.

I returned the first refurb due to a lens error, and am going to buy the next from keh who said they would test the lens and camera together before shipping.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Can anyone recommend a nice messenger style bag that:
Isn't to big
Isn't made of plastic
Less than $200
Will hold a EM5 and a couple lenses

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Anyone here have the Think Tank 747 Retrospective 7 bag? Not that I'm a fashion maven but I like the look of the bag better than the mirrorless mover series.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I really just wanna carry the omd, a couple a lenses, batteries, flash cards, maybe a flash, and an iPad or small laptop.

But I do not want to carry more giant rear end bags or it defeats the purpose. Maybe I will get the smallest bag and use my backpack for the ipad/laptop when flying

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

80% sure I will end up with a Domke F-5XB. It is sub 100 and will let me spend more cash on a fisheye / 45 1.8 lens to go with the 12-50

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

mulls posted:

I have it and it rocks. Comfortably fits a mirrorless body with lens on, another lens, an iPad mini, a Field Notes-size notebook, an iPhone, and then either another lens or sunglasses or a film point and shoot or whatever.

Exactly what I needed to know.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Has anyone who has the E-M5 bought or used the samyang / rokionon / bower 7.5mm fisheye?

I bought the 45 and have the 12-50 already.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Cacator posted:

I did. Without focus peaking it can be a bit of a pain and I kinda wish I bought the 9mm lens cap instead (it wasn't out when I bought the fisheye) because I haven't been using it as often as I could be. Quality wise it's very good.

That is exactly what I am worried about, I think I might save for a 17 or 12 prime.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

timrenzi574 posted:

You don't need focus peaking for a 7.5mm fisheye. Set it to f/5.6 or f/8 1M and have fun

I wasn't worried about the focusing, I was worried I wouldn't use it enough. Where a 17 and 45 pair up fairly nice.

I am going to wait until I return from a trip to Reno - Tahoe to decide.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The body cap is available used for $45 but it can't be very good at that price.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Got my 45 1.8 in the mail today. I'm a bit sick today so I won't get to mess with it tonight. But I snapped a few shots of the hounds and I love it so far, the 17 just went on my must have list.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I'm an oly fan, for now, but the X-T1 is a beautiful camera, sadly it comes at a pretty steep price.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Well the 45 1.8 has convinced me that the 17 and / or the 25 should be in my kit. The lens is sharp and light and makes my 12-50 kind of sad..

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I am trying to choose a prime lens to pick up next and can't decide if the 17 or 25 would be a better match to the 45 that I already have.

I walked around with the 12-50 this morning using those two setting and have almost convinced myself the 17 is the right choice. Thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I bought trigger trap and have been enjoying it immensely, but I don't really have a baller time lapse to share yet. The learning curve for the app is easy, the photo setting for night to day are whooping my rear end.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I am buying the 17mm next and then possibly the 12mm. I love the primes and hope to end with the samyang fisheye, 12, 17, 25 and 45, 60mm macro.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

DJExile posted:

I haven't had a chance to try the 12mm but I hear great things.

The 45mm and 60mm macro own a lot.

I love my 45 it delivers excellence when I do my part.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Hmm, anyone need one of these? I don't think I'll ever have a use for it.

What do you want for it?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

$30 shipped to the US? Looks like it's $60 new. If that sounds good to you I'll make it official with a post in the for sale thread with photo.

Shoot me a pm we will work it out

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I couldn't take it anymore and dropped the cash on a 17mm f1.8 from the oly refurb store, the 5% code for responding to a survey pushed me over the edge. I suppose my next lens will be a 12mm or 60mm macro..