Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

moonduck posted:

Wait, how is this possible?

My guess is either it isn't, or it switches to EVF and back again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I'd like to cross post this from the P&S thread to see what you lot think of my situation.

MeKeV posted:

Well I've only had an hour or so play with it, but I'm massively impressed, both with the photos and the way it feels and operates.

It's been a good few years since I last bought a P&S, and I'd never had a high end one. And after a few years with my D200 I was a bit wary of dumping that and downsizing. But so far I'm really liking it, except for one thing....

The OVF is really nice to look through, but I'm not sure how useful it's going to be. And I really want it to be useful!

I'll have to keep playing with it for a few days and see if I can get better at guestimating the 'centre' focus point, before deciding if it actually offers anything - and then if not, whether I'd be better off with a m4/3, or going with my original plan of waiting until I can afford the X100.

If the OVF was one of the real selling points for me, but in practice its not really worth it, what differences would I see with say a GF2 or GF3. As I can get either, with the 14mm f2.5, for pretty much the same price as I paid for the X10 - £295.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

MeKeV posted:

I'd like to cross post this from the P&S thread to see what you lot think of my situation.

MeKeV posted:

Well I've only had an hour or so play with it, but I'm massively impressed, both with the photos and the way it feels and operates.

It's been a good few years since I last bought a P&S, and I'd never had a high end one. And after a few years with my D200 I was a bit wary of dumping that and downsizing. But so far I'm really liking it, except for one thing....

The OVF is really nice to look through, but I'm not sure how useful it's going to be. And I really want it to be useful!

I'll have to keep playing with it for a few days and see if I can get better at guestimating the 'centre' focus point, before deciding if it actually offers anything - and then if not, whether I'd be better off with a m4/3, or going with my original plan of waiting until I can afford the X100.

If the OVF was one of the real selling points for me, but in practice its not really worth it, what differences would I see with say a GF2 or GF3. As I can get either, with the 14mm f2.5, for pretty much the same price as I paid for the X10 - £295.

Well I did some investigating and for me the X10 held it's own fairly well vs similar priced m4/3's so I've stuck with it and I love it. And I'm yet to be troubled by 'orbs' without shooting purposefully for them.

I'd really recommend giving it a second look for anyone coming in to this thread looking to upgrade from typical point and shoots, but preferring a more all in one package than m4/3.

But do not buy it for it's OVF!

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Wow international shipping included in the price!?

Black lug strap with blue cord. Ordered.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Fujiguys first look video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dyJixwqNoY

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I've found myself with a dropped X100, for the price of a hand full of peanuts. There's a few bumps and scrapes that I'm not worried about, it seems fully functional to me, even the nd filter is coming down......buuuuut its f2.0 wide open or go home.

Is this the sticky ab problem, or from the drop, or a combination of the two? They're definitely STUCK not just a bit sticky.

What's the chances of me being able to fix it myself? Likely to need replacement parts or just a bit of a wiggle? What are the chances of Fuji (UK) fixing it for me? What are the chances of that costing me nowhere near the price of a good conditioned used one?

Budget wise, this is probably my only chance to own this camera for a good couple of years. And I've lusted for it for so long!

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

"f/2.0 and pray"

HPL posted:

"f/2 and 46' away and let hyperfocal distance sort it out"

I dont get the references :'( Sorry

MeKeV posted:

I've found myself with a dropped X100, for the price of a hand full of peanuts. There's a few bumps and scrapes that I'm not worried about, it seems fully functional to me, even the nd filter is coming down......buuuuut its f2.0 wide open or go home.

Is this the sticky ab problem, or from the drop, or a combination of the two? They're definitely STUCK not just a bit sticky.

What's the chances of me being able to fix it myself? Likely to need replacement parts or just a bit of a wiggle? What are the chances of Fuji (UK) fixing it for me? What are the chances of that costing me nowhere near the price of a good conditioned used one?

Budget wise, this is probably my only chance to own this camera for a good couple of years. And I've lusted for it for so long!

So does this sound like a waste of peanuts?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Wow, it's smaller than my wife's Fuji XF1!

If it was a bit cheaper I buy one, stick on the the 15mm f8 and wear it on a necklace ALLLL the time.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I mentioned earlier in the thread about a busted up Fuji X100 that I acquired. It had a few bumps and scrapes that didn't bother me, but it was stuck at f2 and wouldn't focus properly either.
Well I finally got around to sending it in to Fuji UK Wednesday last week. I told them the problem, and explained that I'd bought it used.
Friday morning they email me with a quote 'to just make it work properly', saying the cosmetic damage would cost a lot more, but they can do that too if I want.
I send them the GB£90 or so incl VAT & Postage to get it working, and get an email Monday morning saying it's fixed and on it's way back to me!

I'm absolutely made up, thumbs up Fuji UK.

e: Tuesday Morning it arrives! Woohoo

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 19, 2013

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
What, nothing for the X100?
Not happy...

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

rio posted:

Are you being serious? Just the fact that we got 2.0 is a big step towards supporting older hardware - we can't get everything with an older model if a camera.

:whisper: Not serious :P

:)

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
The 1/50 flash sync kills the GM1 for me. I was thinking of getting it for MY WIFE for Christmas.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
If weather sealing is effectively a couple of extra gaskets and a bit of extra tape, as described above, how viable would it be for Fuji (or anyone else) to offer a fixed price weather sealing upgrade & service on their lenses?

Is lens construction just too complicated and precise for it to work? I'd imagine so, but still wondered.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
No threaded shutter button, perhaps meaning some proper remote system?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

bobfather posted:

Put it another way: why have an articulating screen on the X-T1 and a Q menu for it, if you are not going to make all of your settings accessible from the Q menu? What if I have the camera lifted high over my head (with the artic screen down) and cannot press the ISO unlock button and rotate the dial with my left hand? Would it not be easier to press Q with my right hand and select the proper ISO from a menu on the screen I'm looking at, rather than lower the camera, turn the ISO dial, raise the camera, recompose the shot, and then shoot?

I'm struggling with this one. Like ISO is the main hurdle and a major variable is this shooting situation? Do you need shutter speed and aperture in the q menu here too? There's a lock on the shutter speed to overcome as well remember. Maybe a shutter button on the screen?

Wasn't the comment actually just that you have to take the left hand off the lens to be able to press an turn, not that its crazy awkward?

Or are you saying you can't actually use your left hand at all? In which case, yeah I could see it being a pain.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Before I dive in to my own research, does anyone have any comments on the (3?) sigma m4/3 prime lenses, the ones with the smooth barrels?

I'm new to m4/3s and haven't got a massive budget but they look interesting for their price at least.

And forgive my ignorance, but what fl on m4/3 would be comparable to the Fuji x100, so I can avoid doubling up as my old beaten up x100 is still going.

Also I've had great fun with the Olympus bodycap fish eye for the money. I've never had anything properly wide before, never mind fish eye.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

alkanphel posted:

Sure but that doesn't change the fact that it is probably the worst one in the lineup. Fuji made the silly mistake of making each successive camera better than the X-Pro 1 (so soon after the X-Pro 1 as well) and hopefully they don't make that same mistake with the next round of cameras.

I think you're entirely ignoring the importance of the R&D that went before the Xpro1 to create a system. The incremental improvements after the XPro1 was the easy part.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

alkanphel posted:

No that's not my point. Are you saying that the X-Pro 1 is the best Fuji camera now?

No, why would anyone say that, and why should it be anyway? I even specifically mentioned improvements since the XPro1 in the post? It has no right to be the best Fuji camera now.

Are you saying they shouldn't have released the Xpro1 when they did. Or are you honestly saying they shouldn't have improved the system as a whole because it might upset a few* Xpro1 owners?

*I say a few, because I'm sure the vast majority aren't idiots who assume a camera body isn't going to be superseded as technology develops, especially mk1 of a whole new system.

E:

alkanphel posted:

They should have split the lineup like the Canon 1D, 5D and xxD lines. But if they repeat the same cycle, the camera to wait for would probably be the X-T2. It might even have a better sensor than the X-Pro 2, going by the past record.

What I am saying is there's only so much you can take from the XPro1 when looking to the XPro2. It had the burden and extra work of launching a new system with it's release.
Unless the XPro2 is launching with a new mount and set of lenses why do you think its launch is comparable? Is it just because of the Pro in the name? Didn't the XT1 launch with a higher price than the XPro1 did?

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 20, 2015

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Anyone tried the Alien Skin Exposure X that's just come out? The teaser videos looked reasonably interesting before it was released.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I got a brand new Olympus 45mm 1.8 for £105 after £30 Olympus cashback, just before Christmas. It's a great little lens, and absurdly good for that price. I think usual price is getting on for twice that and it's still a pretty good deal. Cashback is till the end of this month in UK, I dont know about elsewhere?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I have a first gen X100. I think I want an X70.

Am I right?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

404notfound posted:

The X70 has a 28mm equivalent FOV lens instead of the X100 series' 35mm equivalent.

Yeah I know that. I mean as an 'as well as', not a straight replacement. Though I understand the overlap. It just looks so small, I'd have it with me all the time.

Plus same battery bonus.

learnincurve posted:

Don't discount the X30 it's a 2/3 sensor and has the equivalent to 28–112 mm F2–2.8, tilting screen and has a better 2.36M dot OLED.

Funny, thats where this all started, I had an X10 and loved it. I had a play with an X30 in store recently and it was really lovely to hold and use. Plus same battery bonus. But seems X30 is now discontinued though, I might grab one of the last few if I come across one, but theres not many here in the UK. And the sensor in the X70 is obviously lovely....

I've just not enjoyed my m4/3 kit nearly as much as the X100 or infact the X10. So am thinking of trading it. I dont do any post these days, and I'm not even that attached to high resolution either.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I did it, I traded my m4/3 (less than a year old), and some film gear for an X70..... I love it!

So much so I probably could have gotten away with taking my battered X100 and putting that in with the trade pile too.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I've briefly played with an XT-1 and an X100T at various points over the last few months. While the experience in way WAY above, there's just something (significantly) special about the tone and colours out of the X100 MK1.........right?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
For any UK m43 users I've just stacked a few offers together to get a pretty good deal on the gx80.

I'd prefer the body only which is £447 (~£200 after deals) at Jessops but is preorder due to no stock, so I've ordered that also on the slim chance it comes in before the deals end, but will cancel/return if not.

But I've also ordered the 12-32 kit for £549 (~£300), with £200 Panasonic cash back, plus an AMEX deal which is £50 cash back on £150 spent at Jessops, plus a potential 2.2% Quidco cashback on the full price.

The Amex deal is per each over £150 purchase, so some talk of people splitting purchases in store over 2 or 3 transactions for multiple £50s, but I ordered online.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Using a little usb3 card reader and dumping the contents of the SD card on to my Pixel, which then uploads them fullres (incl 4k) to Google Photos/Drive, which then gets auto synced/downloaded on to my Desktop - is working perfectly for me. Transfer is super quick even for a few GB.

WiFi has always been too slow for anything more than a couple images at a time. And trimming down to a few keepers on the camera screen has never been fun for me.

Also means I can fling a handful of photos over to my wife or mum when taking photos of the baby, without ever going near the computer.

I'm enjoying it so much I do an awful lot of editing in snapseed even, and getting results way beyond what you should for such little time and effort. Haven't launched lightroom for months.

Not going to win any awards, but the fun is there again.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

mAlfunkti0n posted:

The X-T1 is still a fantastic camera, in fact it's what I was going with originally but the item came damaged so I sent it back to the seller (yay that was fun, accused of many things on that one).

Given the amount of cameras you've gone through I wouldnt be surprised if you accidentally sent the wrong one back!

e: vvv ^^^ is jokes!

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 25, 2017

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
The GX80 is "5-axis" the 2 axis is in some Pana G Lenses and is in addition to the inbody 5axis.

No real use for a toddler in low light though.

The kit lenses you posted arent particularly great. They will get you up and running, but you'll want to move to something else no doubt.

What I have found useful for photographing a toddler with a GX80 is my Godox TT350 flash bouncing off the ceiling. The super cheap Pana 25mm F1.7 is pretty much always on my camera.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

8th-snype posted:

Next year is a long time to wait imo. It's a major issue because Nikon is treating this system as an accessory to the F mount system not a successor or even a peer. Using an adapter is awesome for the working pro that needs specialty lenses and doesn't want to rebuy but you aren't gonna draw in Sony/Fuji shooters by releasing an incomplete system,. If I wanted to ditch Fuji for Nikon I wouldn't be able to until 2020 because a fast 24mm is my 2nd most used lens.

#cropfactor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Oh, you're one of them?