Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Just picked up a Fuji X-T3, 23mm and 35mm f2. I'm absolutely blown away by the autofocus performance, image quality, weight, ease-of-use, JPEG quality, 11fps, or even 30 if I wanted to crop it a bit... everything just really surpassed my expectations. I'm coming from a 5D Mark III, and I'm going to be selling all of my Canon gear. I rarely do anything professional (the occasional wedding or whatever). I'm frankly shocked at how much I like this camera. Picked it up because I take a lot of family snapshots these days, and lugging the 5DIII around just became too much of a pain in the rear end. This thing is a pleasure to use. I even like the digital viewfinder, which is shocking to me because I thought it would be inferior. The camera's focus tracking abilities are better than expected, too. Maybe better than the 5DIII. Not sure yet. It's at least matching, the the face/eye detection goes a long way.

What really impresses me is the image quality, and the film simulation modes. I haven't shot a crop frame sensor in 5+ years (a 7D), and the quality of this is significantly better than the 7D, especially the dynamic range and color rendition. I've been exclusively shooting RAW for years, but I don't see a need for doing that anymore, though I'll still shoot RAW+JPEG just in case. The 23 and 35 aren't quite as contrasty as my L glass, but it's a minor, minor difference. I'm planning on picking up the 50-140 2.8 and 16-50 2.8 at some point in the future as well.

The only thing that sucks about it is the goddamn phone app sucks rear end, it's slow, it feels like it was made in 2009 and never updated, the UI sucks, it takes forever to make a connection, and so forth. Also the battery life of the camera is abysmal compared to the 5DIII, which is kind of easily rectified with extra batteries, but still. And it's literally impossible to wirelessly transfer RAW images to my phone or tablet or whatever. Stupid limitation.

Other than that, super impressed.

edit:

Also, I think that somehow it's possible to control the aperture with a control dial instead of the aperture ring, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I'm used to shooting Aperture Priority with manual ISO, and I'd like to continue that tradition, but adjusting to the aperture ring is hard. It's got too much throw. Is it possible to tie a control dial to A?

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea. switch the lens into A and then through options (under user settings and controls or whatever), have the front or rear horizontal dial control aperture. That’s how it works on my X-H1.
This worked after someone else suggested also changing the setting for the aperture ring -- I didn't even see that setting before. Works pretty well. Changing the aperture with my thumb is just much more ergonomic for me.

This camera is amazing.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

The great irony is they just updated it a few months ago and made it much, much worse. You used to be able to select pictures on the camera but now it's a grid of square thumbnails [so you can't differentiate between portrait and landscape] with a tiny touch target for the checkbox and it frequently locks up for a few seconds leading to queued navigation that causes even more loading.
Just got this update today, and it seems snappier to me. The conversion of all photo thumbnails into squares is stupid, but overall the application (interface) is faster on my Pixel 3.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
The only thing I dislike about my XT-3 is the loving app. I don't even do wireless image transfer anymore because it's such a dumpster fire of a process. USB-C transfer works flawlessly outside of the Fuji app.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
I use a Fuji XT-3 and I love it. What I don't love is the Fuji app, which is garbage, so I don't use the Wifi/Bluetooth system to transfer images to my phone. Instead, I use USB-C, which is fantastic, reliable, and fast.

I'm looking for a good app (Android) to import photos from my camera to my phone, which I do via USB-C. My workflow is Camera --> Phone (basic edits and culling in Lightroom CC) --> The Cloud --> My PC for deeper editing. These are JPEGS. If I want to edit RAW then I just use the SD Card slot on my computer, but since most of my photography is casual, I don't usually mess with RAW anymore.

Currently, I use the Lightroom importer which is alright, but it displays images from the camera as squares whether they're portrait or landscape. It's annoying. That's the only thing I don't like about my process.

Is there a better way to do this? A media organizer app or something? I don't know.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
I chatted with a 17 year old girl on vacation from the UK with her family. She had a Leica M10, which was a birthday gift.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Animal posted:

That’s the one I was talking about a couple of posts above. I can see how it would be a great gift for a teenager, if you are filthy rich. The build quality is epic, and the act of taking pictures is very deliberate due to the nature of rangefinders and manual focus. I would have been all over that poo poo as a pretentious teenager.
~A E S T H E T I C~ #creativity #art #leica
It's really a great camera, if you can afford it, and it's fun to walk around with and snap photos. There aren't any cameras around that feel like a Leica. If you're into film, there's the Voigtlander Bessa series, which is similar but not as solid in the hand. Anyway, if you can afford a Leica, sure, why not?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Animal posted:

I’ve grown old and don’t care nearly as much value to the things that make the M10 desirable. Now I value practicality above all else.

The Q2 on the other hand has seriously tempted me. If only I wasn’t having a baby...
Got a 3 year old and a 1 year old. They're more valuable to me than my photography hobby. Usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Easychair Bootson posted:

I like Fuji, but it sounds like you put a lot of emphasis on AF/tracking and presumably face/eye detection for your kids. I'd be looking at Sony. I don't know anything about their lens lineup, though.

e: the modern Fuji f/2 primes are all amazing for the money though
The Fuji XT-3 has really great face/eye detection. It's not quite as fast as Sony's, but it's still quite good.