Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Main priorities are:

*Travel photography
*Macro photography
*Vlogging

I think the G85 is the right answer, opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I have very little phtography experience, but I've recently read a metric ton of camera reviews and the most consistent and largest con for Olympus seems to be the IA and UX of their menu system. The critique is like in every review. I can imagine they have some terrible designer that has dirt on the boss so they can't fire him.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
In non-fuji news my wife got the G85 about a week ago and absolutely loves it.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
At that price point, if size, weight, and weather sealing are priorities, then the G85 should at least be on your list for consideration.

It's also fantastic at video, should you want that function later.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Currently in Portugal on vacation and the G85 is proving to be a great travel camera. Not too big, great for landscapes, architecture, video, etc. Wife loves this thing. Weatherproofing definitely came in handy with the variable weather on the Azores.

Meanwhile I'm stuck with a terrible super zoom nikon

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

How is the front dial on yours? Stiff at all? I don't have another G85 to compare to so I am wondering whats up with mine.

Front and rear dials behave the same, and are not stiff.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
My wife and I have been very happy with our G85 fwiw.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Olympus is known for having some of the worst controls/menu systems. Otherwise, go nuts.

Also think you should consider the G85.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
All this video chat and barely any mention of Panasonic.

If money isn't a concern get a GH5 and if it is get a G85.

Both are considered extremely good for video and both are weather sealed.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Ola posted:

Olympus OM-D E-M10 III (jesus the alphabet soup is getting ridiculous) is announced, but without microphone port. https://www.dpreview.com/news/0860611106/olympus-om-d-e-m10-iii-offers-4k-video-bigger-dials

I do not understand selling a premium camera capable of high quality video but without a microphone port in TYOOL 2017.

See also: GX85

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Or g85

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The Panasonic 25mm 1.7 has been great for me, and it has the advantage of being $150

I really want to get the Olympus 60mm macro next

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
King of video for the "value" buyer is the G85 from everything I have read. It's also a great camera full stop.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I think the G85 is the best m43 camera in it's price range. My wife and I own one, we are hobbyists but we love the thing. I was considering buying another camera just I would have something to shoot with when she took the G85, decided against it when I realized the only camera I would buy right now is another G85.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I want to see the Venn diagram of Sony camera owners and BMW owners.

Recommend me a m43 macro lens. Is my best option the Olympus 60mm? Side note: Ever since I got this 25mm 1.7 the 12-60 has rarely ever been on my camera.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The 25mm 1.7 is my go to recommendation just due to it being such a good value, but if you've already got the 20mm, I'd just stick with that. Maybe grab the 45 as has been recommended so you have a less-wide-angle option?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Finger Prince posted:

Want to buy my panaleica 15mm F1.7? I always felt the 20mm was just a little to narrow for when I wanted wide angle landscapes, but I used it for years and loved it. I got the 15mm which is fantastic, but I don't find myself in as many situations where I use it, and have my eye on one of the f2.8 standard zooms. I can provide more details when I get home if you'd be interested.

Depending on the price, I might be interested in this myself.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If you want to do video well at that price point get the G85. It's not going to be the best low light performer though, gotta pick what matters most.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Heads up on video: the gx85 doesn't have a mic jack, while the G85 (more expensive, I know) does. Your example videos didn't have audio (or it wasn't Central to the work) so this may not matter to you.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Tha G9 looks nice, but I'll probably never own one.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The Panasonic 25mm 1.7 is $250 and often drops down to $150

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Did you buy one or are you just renting? Either way, jealous.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

SimplyCosmic posted:

So I pulled the trigger, and then ordered the Panasonic Lumix G 25mm that Wirecutter recommends as a first lens from Amazon for $147.99. Hopefully that was a good deal.

That lens is a great first prime for m4/3 and is an absolute steal. Mine rarely leaves my g85

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

melon cat posted:

As a new GH5 owner I was also wondering about this lens as well. Will it cannibalize my 12-35?

I still haven't done much video so I can't say for sure. I would imagine the 12-35 would still get a lot of use especially when you need the wider angle.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
B&H is running some pretty incredible prices on Oly lenses. I finally picked up the 60mm macro, after kicking myself for missing it at $350, I now got it for $300

https://slickdeals.net/f/10892419-o...earchBarV2Algo1

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If you were seriously considering a gx-85 and your budget got slightly larger, then just get the G85 and enjoy cheap lenses and a good menu system.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Had to buy a second body as my wife was getting annoyed at how often I was taking the G85. Did a lot of considering and settled on the GX85 for size and functionality reasons. For travel (weather sealing) and video where we want good audio (external mic port) we will still have the G85, but the gx85 gives me a much better sized camera for general use, and I'm finding I really prefer the rangefinder location for the EVF.

This thing with the basic 25 1.7 is fun times.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 6, 2018

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

It's disgusting with the 20mm f/1.7 pancake

I want that compactness but I always hear such mixed reviews about that lens re:autofocus speeds.

Current plan is to get the 15mm 1.7 cause aperture ring fetish.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah, I wish I knew more about video to really understand all of it, but it's nice to see Panasonic seeming to push the boundaries of the m43 sensor size as hard as they can.

Unrelated to the gh5s, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Leica 15mm f1.7 for my gx85. Got a new baby and the 25mm is making it a bit hard to get photos in certain situations and I imagine that is just gonna get worse as she becomes a toddler? Hoping the 15mm (30mm equiv) is wide enough of an angle to get good kid shots. Any opinions on the lens?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah the whole IBIS thng was that they expect the GH5s to be mounted in rigs that have their own stabilization whereas the GH5 is less hyper-specialized as a video camera.

Now the GH5 is the hybrid between the stills focused g9 and the video focused gh5s

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Oh derp my bad forgot that part.

We'd be filming locomotives, out in natural sunlight, and then filming maybe short interviews inside. I'd be willing to drop the tripod in favor of lighting. Also forgot to add we need a microphone, but those seem relatively easy to pick out (Rode?)

Not sure the cost on all the other equipment you need, but the G85 is also completely legit for 4k video if you end up not having the budget for the GH5.

I'd also recommend the 25mm 1.7 as a super cheap but good fast prime to go along with the kit lens.

cheese posted:

I'd like to be able to get a setup for around 1k with an all purpose prime and a macro capable lens, although that budget is flexible. The 4/3's family seems like an affordable and versatile group compared to Sony or Fuji, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

If you go the G85 route you can get the camera, the decent weather sealed kit lens, and the 25mm 1.7 for about 1k. I'm really not sure how well the kit lens does for macro, I got my wife the 60mm Oly which seems to be the recommended macro lens, but that'll go over your budget.

If you don't care about weather sealing and need to cut costs you can do like me and get the gx85 and sell the 12-32 kit lens on eBay. The G85 really is the better camera but I liked the size, rangefinder style, and cost of the gx85. Since it is the second camera body for our household it didn't need to check absolutely every box like our main camera did (which is the G85)

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 15mm 1.7 and the 42.5mm 1.7 and then I think I'll be done for a good long time.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

cheese posted:

The GX85 looks like its quite a bit smaller than the G85, although I guess neither is big enough to be a problem and neither is probably small enough to slip into a pocket or anything.

It's noticably smaller, especially visually due to the hump on the G85. Like, it matters to me cause I try to get everything into a peak designs field pouch, but the real reasons I bought it (as the second camera) are viewfinder location and price.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 12, 2018

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If 4k video matters to you, get the mk3, or consider the gx85

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The Panasonic app is very usable, which puts it ahead of a lot of camera apps from what I've heard. I have no experience with the Olympus app.

To my knowledge (and brief googling) no smartphone image app supports RAW transfer, you'll have to use a card adapter connected to your phone for that.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

cheese posted:

Went back in to play with the cameras again and I think I like the left sided EVF in the rangefinder style the most. Just felt the most comfortable to use and it seems to make the cameras smaller ergonomically. How does the GX85 stack up against an older camera like the Fuji X-E2S? The latter can be had for about the same price (under 700 new with the seemingly well regarded 18-55 kit lens). The new X-E3 is a big jump up price wise but would it be a bad idea to buy a new camera that is essentially 4-5 years old tech wise?

There are a lot of sites that do side by side comparisons of the spec sheet, but for me it would come down to two things. 1. Do you care about video? 2. Do you want in body (or combo ibis and lens) image stabilization?

If the answer to either of those is yes then imo the gx85 is the right answer. If they aren't then the decision is maybe more nuanced.

Remember you can sell the 12-32 kit lens for about $150 on eBay to bring the total price down if you want, that's what I'm doing with mine.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 16, 2018

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

whatever7 posted:

Have you considered adopting a manual macro lens?

I know this thread is packed with Fuji loyalists, but come on. The guy voiced a legit critique of the platform. Expecting an AutoFocus macro lens of reasonable size, weight, and capabilities isn't asking too much.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The main thing you are missing out on with the lower end Panasonic's is in body image stabilization (although that 12-32 does have in lens image stabilization) and 4k video.

There's still an anti-aliasing filter on the sensor, and you don't have an EVF or a flash shoe.

The advantages are that you are, for a very low cost, getting into a system with good (and affordable) lenses, and that any lenses she buys are going to be longer term purchases than the cheaper body she's starting with. The gf7 is also a pretty tiny camera and with that 12-32 or the 20mm pancake it's gonna be (jacket) pocketable.

The alternative for a cheap point of entry into m43 is a refurbished OMD 10 from Olympus, which periodically pop up, and while that is a more capable camera with everything listed above other than 4k video (outside of version 3 which is well outside this price range) we're just talking body there, so she will still need glass.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 16, 2018

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

cheese posted:

Pulled the trigger on a Panasonic GX85 from B&H. I prefer new for things with serious electronics in them and the no sales tax for CA + selling the kit lens eventually should make it solid price. Feeling some analysis by paralysis with the lens selection but I won't buy anything until I figure out what lenses I would use based on my first few months with it.

Hands down just drop $150 on the 25mm 1.7. That lens is a steal. You could get the 20mm 1.7 instead, if size is a big concern, read reviews and decide if af speed is important or not (and decide if you want to pay the extra $120).

I've been taking a ton of photos of my newborn and decided to add the 15mm 1.7 to my 25mm as the 25mm was a bit long for a lot of situations. I also just went ahead and picked up the 42.5mm 1.7 to round out my trio of primes. I hope this will be a wide enough range that I won't miss having zooms. I expect the 15mm will stay on the majority of the time.

The good news is that the 12-32 will give you an idea of what focal ranges you like and use the most, which can inform your fast prime decisions.

One of the big advantages of the m43 format is that you have so many lenses available due to multiple major manufacturers producing full lines for the format.

Another thing is I think most every m43 owner I've ever met has been really self aware about their platform. It's not "objectively the best technology/images" (although that can be argued with regards to Panasonic video short of extremely expensive setups) it's instead an attempt to find the best balance of quality, portability, cost, usability, etc. Most everyone shooting m43 knows it isn't the absolute best (again, outside of video) once you get into pixel peeping, etc., they are just very happy with the tradeoffs.

Also Fuji Fuji something something Fuji (I do like the Fuji aesthetic and manual dials, etc)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So I finished getting all my gear, thought I'd do a rundown for reasons, maybe it will be helpful to someone, or you fuji guys can tell me I've wasted my money...

GX85 Camera Kit: $600
Selling kit 12-32 lens: -$150
25mm 1.7: $150
42.5mm 1.7: $350
15mm 1.7 (used): $400

Total: $1350

Peak Designs Field Pouch and Leash: $70
Two extra batteries: $25

And everything fits inside the field pouch.

If I hadn't already owned the 25mm I might have picked up the 20mm in lieu of the 15 and 25, and just had two lenses, but so far I'm really liking having all three focal ranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

cheese posted:

drat sexy looking! My GX85 gets here tomorrow - lots of the choices I was thinking about. The 15, 25, 42.5 F1.7 set looks so great. I love that they are all vaguely the same size. Interestingly, it seems the cost of the 25mm went back up to 250 from 150 everywhere? Maybe some promotion just expired. Good work getting it before that.

Ouch if the price went back up, it was on promotion for a long time. I'd have to think hard about the 25 vs the 20 on a body as small as the gx85 if the prices are a lot closer.