Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
Serious question for those of you who may have already switched over to Fuji from Canon, Nikon, or a mirrored system. I've been eyeing up the XT's for a while and considering selling my 5DMk2 and switching over to an X-T2, but I'm scared that I'll miss full frame shooting.

I have no real reason to be loyal to Canon anymore, aside from my comfort when doing fashion photoshoots for my wife, and I've grown used to the speed that I can work with my 5D. Would I be safe and happy going the Fuji route? (Assuming I can even sell this thing :()

My main shooting: Landscape, fashion, portraits, studio and occasionally events but nothing too crazy.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This doesn't really mean anything unless you can articulate why.

I switched from Canon full-frame DSLRs and can't say that I miss much, especially now with the X-T2. The X-T1's autofocus performance was a downgrade from the 5DIII, but the X-T2 corrects that completely in my experience so far. Dynamic range on Fuji is significantly better (not sure how it stacks up to the 5DIV now), and I find myself shooting a lot more because it's such a compact setup compared to my old 5DIII and full-frame glass. Even being mindful of things like confirmation bias, I can confidently say that I don't regret the switch at all.

Are there tradeoffs? Always. Being an older and more developed platform, Canon has more options for very specific shooting scenarios: their flash ecosystem is much better (though Fuji's should improve with the XF-500) and I occasionally miss esoteric options like tilt-shift. For 99% of my shooting though, I adore the X-T2 and find the much smaller setup to more than offset its limitations. Battery life on mirrorless is also like an order of magnitude worse than DSLRs, but I can carry my X-T2, 3 lenses, and 4 batteries in a bag that wouldn't have fit my gripped 5DIII and 70-200/2.8 before. The X-T2's USB charging also proved convenient on my road trip a couple weeks ago since I could just charge it in the car while driving between destinations.

rio posted:

I switched from shooting a 5D to the X-T1, and now the X-T2. I had an original X100 and fell in love with it, so I already knew why I wanted to switch - the external controls. I always missed my knobs and aperture ring from shooting film and I ended up shooting my X100 more than the 5D except when I needed something that was not 35mm equivalent. So I figured switching to an interchangeable lens Fuji would make sense for me and I sold my Canon stuff and bought an X-T1 with the 18-55 and the 35 f2. Next I got the 50-145 2.8, then the 23 1.2 and recently got the Rokinon 8mm 2.8 and I rarely miss my Canon gear now. I do miss the dof occasionally and more often than that I miss the different look that full frame gives (which some consider a myth but I do see it), but the advantages from the Fuji definitely outweigh those 2 things. I was already used to slow autofocus from the X100 so I didn't go to the X-t1 expecting better performance than the 5D. It was certainly better than the X100 but I definitely missed shots that I could have gotten with the Canon. Now that I have the X-T2, though, the performance is as good and sometimes better than my old 5D and I am a happy camper.

I think it is important to know why you would like to switch systems, so I also would ask why you want to switch. There are definitely advantages as well as disadvantages - write down both for what you have now and what you expect from Fuji and start there. Also think about what body you would get and what lenses and ask here if you need any advice.

Thanks for the input :) I think you've covered the main reasons as to why I was thinking of switching. Mostly size and portability, the addition of WiFi. Plus, I kinda like the out of camera look of the X-T2 from what I've seen so far.

As for the fear thing, missing 35mm, shallow DoF and a sturdy camera that makes me feel like "Yeah, I'm taking a loving photo."

Really, I should probably head to B&H and try one first.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 22, 2016

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

alkanphel posted:

I switched from Canon 5D2 to Fuji XT1 as well, no regrets, the Fuji has performed very well for me! Plus all the lenses are cheaper and lighter than their Canon L counterparts.

8th-snype posted:

You can get quite shallow DOF with the 56mm f/1.2 or the 90mm f/2. Missing 35mm? The Fuji 23mm is amazing, the f/1.4 is anyways I won't know about the f/2 version until friday. I have never felt like my Xpro, XT1, or Xpro2 was less than sturdy. The XE- series are a bit dainty tho.

So much excitement reading all these comments. Just priced out what my 5DMk2 and assorted gear would be worth on KEH and it comes in at $300 under the X-T2 body alone. So if I add the $800 56mm it'll bring my cost up to $1100 to make the switch, with one lens. Not sure what to think but I'm still happy.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 22, 2016

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Mest0r posted:

The kit lens (XF 18-55mm) is quite good for what it is, I've been really happy with it if you don't want to commit to spending the $$$ on the 56mm.

I'll check it out, I'm guessing that'll be the one on-camera at B&H. The 56mm f1.2 bokeh is what makes me grin inside, but I'm sure that it's not entirely necessary, I can use any of my vintage primes (Pentacon Bokehmonster) and get the same effect without AF, I guess.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

I agree with both of you, I'll probably pick up the XF35mm F2 at some point. Just not a fan of zooms, as versatile as they can be.

Just checked one out at B&H and really liked it, tried the 56 1.2 and 18-55 kit (didn't like that one too much) but the 56 was nice.

8th-snype posted:

The 27mm and 23mm are also good options. I sold my 35mm and don't miss it at all.

How come? Did you get something to replace it, or just found that range had no use for what you were shooting?

ianskate fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 22, 2016

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Woo, just ordered the XF56mmF1.2 R, didn't want to feel like a sucker and miss out on the sale while it was still going on - before it sold out everywhere. Now... just have to wait for the X-T2 to be back in stock :bahgawd:

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

This is a decent overview if you just want an introduction to the camera/system, especially if you're not coming from a Fujifilm X camera before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9AS__60t2I

Thanks for this, I'll need as well come next week :D

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

rio posted:

Gooble gobble. There is no turning back - welcome to the club!

I don't know if it is just because there are more Canon users in general but the majority of people I know or read about switching to Fuji are moving from Canon (as did I).

It's because Canon hasn't innovated since the 5DMk2, at least in my mind... and their pricing is not competitive at all. They're really not doing much to help themselves in a saturated market.

Annnnyyyway, I'm pumped.

For any of you who use the 35mm, which one did you get? F2 or 1.4, and if you've used both, which would you consider buying (based on price vs performance).

ianskate fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 24, 2016

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Thanks, I think I'll pick one up while they're on sale. Wonder if there'll be a BF sale dropping even lower so I might give it a few more days... but boy, am I going all out :pgabz:

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Now I'm torn between the Fuji 35mm and 23mm f2. My only other lens will be the 56. Decisions decisions.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

What kind of shooting do you do? Don't know if I mentioned it, but I'm looking for mostly portraiture and occasional landscapes and travel street photography kinda work.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

LiquidRain posted:

I sold my 23mm because I always put the 35 on instead.

All about preference.

Agreed, maybe I'll rent them both before buying, and hope the sales last.

particle9 posted:

It's worth thinking about too that the Fuji 35mm is closer to a 51mm and the 23 is actually like a 35mm. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works out with the sensor.

Totally, and since I've never owned a 35mm with my 5D I have no real comparison from recent years, though I did use my 50mm often (what for? :iiam:). I'm thinking that the Fuji 23mm will provide the opportunity to shoot landscape and full body portraits, or at least more "neutral" shots vs the 35mm (aka 50mm non-crop) being more oriented towards DoF artistic still life "table" photography.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

fartmanteau posted:

Pretty much that ^

I hardly ever need to go wide, but I have the cheap 9-18 just in case. I've often wondered if getting a speed booster is worth trying. Anyone here venture into those?

I use one of the Chinese versions (the Mitakon Zhongyi) for my Panasonic G7, of course it's all manual but I just got it to adapt my Canon adapted lenses via a Fotodiox adapter. Seems to work relatively well for video purposes, but I feel like there's a bit extra flare from the glass in between. Possibly due to the cheapness of it? I haven't really done any testing, but you could say that the reviews are relatively favorable.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1194657-REG/mitakon_zhongyi_mtkltm2efm43_canon_ef_lens_to.html

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Looks like it'll be another 2 weeks before I get the X-T2 :( Already have the lenses though, so at least there's that.

I'm surprised they haven't started catching up with stock yet. I eventually pre-ordered from Newegg after missing the Adorama stock the other day, and it stated they'd be available on 12/2 so I was excited. Just logged in to check my order status... and the date changed to the 9th. Who knows if it'll be even longer... SO MAD that I'm tempted to complain to Newegg for changing dates without notifying pre-order customers who purchased based on a specific date, even though it's probably at the fault of Fuji, anyway end rant.

Hope all of you are enjoying your pretty cameras with the new firmware :)

ianskate fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 29, 2016

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

That's awesome! Makes me so excited to finally get one. So sick of this bulky slow focusing 5D with lenses that cost about as much as three 5D's and probably weigh more than that. I've experienced the same as you even when having proper time to set up shots.

Come on Fuji, start shipping it's been way too long with no stock.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

If anybody happens to see an X-T2 body pop up in-stock somewhere in the US, please send a carrier pigeon or alert this thread, I know Star War Sex Parrot was pretty on top of them earlier - but I missed out that Adorama stock for the short duration it was around. Thanks :(

Week 3 of crying to myself and pissing off my wife by complaining about Fuji on a daily basis :lost:

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Amazon has it In Stock (additional 1-2 days of processing)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I3LNMAM/

Edit: looks like it's gone

Thanks for keeping me in mind! I just got one through a smaller family-owned store. The Fuji website has a list of official retailers, and many of them had the X-T2 in stock, and still do. I was happy to purchase from them, even paid upgraded shipping and hoped they skimmed off the top because I'll gladly keep a small photo store in business over the behemoths.

If anybody happens to be looking, check here and click the 'Where to buy' link. Many of them are tax free, too, if out of state... saving you a bunch on the price. In my case for NY, it was almost $200 less than getting it from B&H, Adorama or Amazon. So win win!

Just started configuring everything, have the 23mm 1.4 and 56 1.2, unfortunately it's cold as gently caress, snowing and raining so I'll be stuck not doing much with it for the next few days, but at least I'm not foaming at the mouth watching 'More coming in 7-14 days' for 4 weeks... :bang:

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

insideoutside posted:

Well you are all set then except for maybe a wr lens for heavy rain. I use my 23 and 56 pretty much all the time unless I need the extra reach.

Yeah, I'm happy with these but agree... need to find a cheaper WR lens, do you have any favorites? I was thinking of getting one of the cheaper ones, maybe the 35 f2 WR, but something wider would be nice - but they're not that cheap.

Saros posted:

More SOOC jpg. Sommarøy, Norway.

X-e2 + Samyang 12/f2

That's some beautiful coloration right there, gotta love aurora borealis.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

For you Fuji people, what's been your ideal lens for landscape shooting if hiking / camping / outdoorsy stuff? I'm planning a trip for the summer and will need to get something appropriate (assuming the 23 will be too narrow, though I can't take any guesses based on city living) for capturing wide. I'm assuming I'll have to aim for a 16mm or something wider for non FF use, right?

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Thanks everybody, I have a lot of specs to compare. Haven't decided what to spend yet, still selling off my Canon gear. Happy New year :D

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Great Enoch posted:

Absolutely not screen door effect. The bands were like 10/20 pixels wide, and only happened with the rear screen. Really looked like some sort of rendering glitch. Unfortunately not reproducible. Only thing I can think that triggered it were either taking it out in the cold for the first time, or using a new (reputable) USB charger.

I haven't yet, but I wonder if the fold-out mechanism is eventually going to give and break the ribbon cable between the body and the screen... surely they thought of the fragile nature of the system, but hopefully it's not a problem in the long run. I'm wondering if it's already a manufacturing defect with loose cabling, because that could make sense if a wire is pulling internally. Also ribbon cables are poo poo and a tiny scratch on one side could ruin it.

Thinking back to problems I had with an old macbook when the display cable started fraying the edge of the ribbon cable near the hinge causing strange visual glitches, replacing it fixed the issue.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 4, 2017

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

red19fire posted:

How is the x-t2 for sports? Like is the shutter lag bad enough to be distracting?

Haven't use mine for anything sporty or fast yet, but did shoot someone jumping without the booster grip and it wasn't the best. I'm sure you can get away with slower moving sports, but ehhh.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Twenty-Seven posted:

Has anyone figured out any tips, tricks, incantations or spells to make the fuji camera remote app reliable? It either works fine (about 25% of the time) or not at all, and it's driving me pretty insane. I have a 6s and an X-T2. It's a noticeable step down from the Olympus app which itself is ... pretty bad.

No, I've tried every method possible, the closest I can get to success is turning WiFi on first, then starting the app, then enabling WiFi Connectivity through the X-T2. It's still a failure about 75% of the time though. They really need to fix something, it's the worst camera app I've used.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Maybe it's an Android issue? Twenty-Seven what device are you working with?

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Is it time to sell my lusted-after and impossibly hard to get X-T2 already? :gonk:

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The xt20 won't be quite as nice as the xt2. It's the slightly more budget-conscious model. I didn't see any specs that looked like they outclassed the xt2, and if there are any they can probably be addressed by firmware updates to the xt2. I guess maybe the rear LCD is slightly higher-resolution?

The x100f is some slick poo poo though.

Phew! For a second I thought I read a few higher specs, but I was probably wrong. It's still all speculation, though, but I'm sure it's also pretty accurate.

I am curious about the 50 f2, though. Wonder what it'll be like...

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

alkanphel posted:

The Fuji 23/1.4 is really awesome and you should just get it.

Also echoing this. It's really nice, enjoying mine a lot.

Though I've been using the 56 1.2 far more often (for portraits) this month. Maybe I'll mess around with the 35 on a portrait shoot this Friday. I've just been too happy with the 56 to even want to swap it mid shoot! Though in regards to that, nailing focus at 1.2 is an actual struggle, but when you get it... holy crap.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

torgeaux posted:

I'm choosing between the 56 and the 90 for my primary portrait lens. Have you tried both?

Not yet, just used the 56. I was thinking of stopping by B&H to test one out, but it's always tough to really test things there because there's nothing to actually practice on, and no space to do it.

The 56 is pretty heavy for the X-T2 though, to an uncomfortable point. I guess that's the biggest downside to these small mirrorless bodies... the 90 would be even worse in that regard, though visually it may be better due to background separation. If I didn't live in NYC and have lots of tighter shooting scenarios I think the 90 would be a much better choice based on that alone, but having a wider shot is more important for me.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

I assume we've all put our pre orders in for a Fuji GFX?...

I really want one :woop: but money...

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

bobfather posted:

I would use Lightroom for cataloguing, since you won’t be making heavy edits to your files after you realize you can compose and expose perfectly every time right from the viewfinder.

The days of looking at your rear LCD and telling yourself you’ll check for critical focus and fix your saturation in post are almost over, man.

It's like a dream, right? Switching from my 5D2 to the X-T2 was the best decision (so far) I've made in terms of camera changes in a long time. Though I still keep bumping the nobs accidentally when trying to take shots, I'll eventually get used to it.

Very light work in LR is all that's needed, in my case mostly retouching portraits, but the rest of the photo is just great. Very little work involved, the RAF's work fine, albeit slow as one would expect for those large files.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

accipter posted:

For those of you using Fuji and struggling with the cell phone app, I might have figured it out. Last week I was having all sorts of issues with the app crashing, and having to start it twice to make the connection. This week it has worked perfectly if I start the cell phone app and attempt to connect, and then turn on the wifi on the camera. I am not sure if it is just a fluke, but it has been working very smoothly.

In the opposite order from what the camera suggests, correct?

Helicity posted:

I have a lot of friends that are astrophotography nerds, and they all swear by the Rokinon/Samyang super wides, but returning a bad copy for another one seems to be common. For the amount of glass you get for the price, loose quality control is a given, but it's something to consider.

I use the Rokinon 12mm for video on my GH4 and it's pretty great. Here's a video frame grab, and sure it's probably limited by the crop factor and my poor job lighting the shot, it might help you out: http://i.imgur.com/XusnKCF.jpg

ianskate fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 12, 2017

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Schneider Heim posted:

You can apply the film simulation after taking the photo in raw. Not sure about jpeg, but if you have the raw you could just re-generate the jpeg.

You can have only one active per photo, though.

Considering this is a viable option, has anyone switched to RAW only shooting and then applied whatever simulation you want if you're just going to work with jpeg's anyway?

It just dawned upon me, but I've been shooting RAW+JPEG since I got the X-T2 and now I'm thinking I should just shoot RAW and if I do end up using a SOOC JPEG I could just pick whatever simulation fits the shot and generate it. It seems pointless to use up more space if I won't be using jpeg 100% of the time.

What do ya'll think?

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Thanks for the input about RAW vs JPEG workflow.

I'm really only shooting RAW at this point for the sake of retouching portraits, which has become the most of what I shoot these days, so it's sort of essential. I may get a 128gb card because I've been filling my 64's way too quickly with RAW+JPEG.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Twenty-Seven posted:

i'm still relatively new to the whole fuji thing and the dynamic range setting they have, so i'm not sure how stupid this question is. during my brief time with the x-e1 and from handling a friend's x100s on several occasions, neither seemed shy at all about cranking up that DR thing when it was set to auto. since i've had my x-t2, i don't think it's chosen anything other than DR100 the entire time. i had been chalking this up to the grey vancouver winter but i'm on vacation in vietnam now and there have definitely been some of the kind of conditions the thing is supposed to help with as i understand it (bright sun and harsh shadows). i'd like to be able to leave it on auto because i'm way too stupid to remember to turn it off when i go back inside if i have to do it manually.

is this just how it is with the newer sensor? i'm really not pushing this thing? or .. am i running some setting that's effectively disabling auto dr? or something even stupider? the most "non-standard" thing that i do that i can think of is raw+jpeg split over two cards but i can't imagine that has anything to do with it. M+E shutter usually ... i dunno, seems weird :shrug:

As a relatively new Fuji convert I have yet to figure out the auto DR thing either, and I'm really not sure how or why it picks the setting it does. I don't think I've ever seen it pick anything by the default 100.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

For anyone with an X-T2 shooting RAW, someone released a beta Lightroom plugin that will apply the in-camera simulation via the Library based on the Exif camera data. Thought it might be useful for some of you: http://lightroomsolutions.com/plugin-preview-jb-x-lr/

It's limited to 5 photos at a time and expires in a month. It's definitely not something I'd personally pay for, and the limitations for a beta are kind of obnoxious (you can email him to have the limit removed).

ianskate fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 27, 2017

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

underage at the vape shop posted:

Yeah the only reason he's done that is to see if he can successfully unlock them once he starts selling them.

Making a plugin that does something already built into lightroom doesn't even seem that hard to do.

Hopefully Adobe will eventually implement that functionality, it seems pretty basic and part of other camera workflows anyway...

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Finally! Now, who wants to go first? :cheeky:

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

For any of you X-T2 owners, or previous Fuji generations/models: Do you notice the body collecting an awful lot of dust?

It feels like there's some crazy magnet inside my camera that's causing all sorts of pollen, dust, or whatever is floating around to get stuck the body itself, far more than any Canon/Panasonic or even film camera I've owned. Blowing it off doesn't help, and it's really noticeable around the rubber eyecup, that's the biggest offender. Kinda like a rubber balloon rubbed against a kids head, to play a joke on them with static build up, except this causes it get onto the viewfinder glass/screen.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 31, 2017

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

I grabbed some of the DOT01 brand batteries (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVW62OS/) for my X-T2 and so far they've been pretty good. Will see how long they last.

I've always had acceptable experiences with Wasabi stuff for GoPro's and GH4 use, but again they do often run out without indicating low percentage beforehand.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Splinter posted:

An X-T2 and the Fuji system in general isn't the best choice if you're looking for pocketable, but if that's what you're going for the 27 is really your only option (but even that on an X-T2 wouldn't really fit many people's definition of pocketable). Sounds like you should go with either a 23 (1.4 or 2.0) or the 16.

I don't know, I find the 23 1.4 to be too big for regular carry around use, though I only have the 56 1.2 to compare it to. The F2 WR's are all much smaller, lighter and faster focusing, right?

However, I do love the visuals that the 56 creates, but I guess compared to the 90 it's "smaller and lighter," but still not overwhelming for the size of the X-T2 body.