Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Is 42nd St. Photo one of those sketchy shops that cancels your order unless they can upsell you a bunch of other crap when you put in your order?

http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid-106193-k-fuji_x100_123_megapixel_digital_camera.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Uncle Ivan posted:

Yep.

I figured that. Although it's such a good price, it might be worth it to see what they try and make you buy after. If it's some memory cards, it might be a good deal still.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Ugh...I've been spending too much on gear lately. I've been holding off on buying a GX1 and a 20mm 1.7 because the 20mm lens wasn't in stock anywhere.

But now the lens is in stock.

So the only thing preventing me from buying it is my own willpower. Ugh. I'm gonna lose this battle, I think.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

If you have the room to spare, I don't see any harm in keeping the raw files. What if the jpeg engine butchers a conversion for some reason?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Yeah, sounds like sticky blades. I thought they fixed that in the newer cameras.

Edit: And I always thought that happens after a lot of use. That would be bad to happen on a new camera.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Come on, nobody is going to pay $8,000 for a "black and white" camera - it's Monochrome.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I'm sure it has its use. But I also wouldn't pay the price for an M9.

Maybe if I had unlimited money, which some people do.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Or is it just that your FOV changes and the same amount of light is hitting the sensor, only a crop of the FF image the lens produces?

Correct. The focal length of a lens doesn't change no matter what size the sensor is. Only the field of view changes.

It's easy to be confused because even people that sell lenses refer to things like "35mm focal length equivalent." It's just much easier to explain it that way. I guess they could say "field of view equivalent," but nobody really thinks about lenses that way. So it's easier even though it does also confuse people into thinking focal length is somehow influenced by the sensor size.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

Unfortunately Sony knows who they're selling to. Those of us who pine for good E-mount lenses like a 17-50 f/2.8 are very much the minority. Most NEX users I've seen pick up either the Tamron or Sony superzooms. The NEX cameras are selling far more to people who want an interchangeable lens point & shoot then to serious photographers. (and a lot of those serious users are just using adapters)

Those folks are much more likely to appreciate (and buy) superzooms and pancake zooms. Sony knows what they're doing. :(

But why not do both? Panasonic and Olympus seem to.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Get a light meter and it can give you readings in tenths of a stop.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Just so happens if you're looking for the GX1 body only, that's the Amazon DOTD for $395

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-GX1-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B00604YTFM

So tempting. I'm dying to see what Canon's mirrorless looks like in a couple of weeks.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

As someone who doesn't follow the rumor sites, is there confirmation to this? I know about that pancake lens which seemed to hint at a mirrorless system, but that's it.

Canon Rumors hasn't given it a CR3 rating yet, which would mean it's pretty much fact. But the new product announcement on July 23rd is fact and there have been rumblings of the mirrorless for a while now.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Just so happens if you're looking for the GX1 body only, that's the Amazon DOTD for $395

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-GX1-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B00604YTFM

TheAngryDrunk posted:

So tempting. I'm dying to see what Canon's mirrorless looks like in a couple of weeks.

Oh gently caress it! GX1 and 20mm f/1.7 ordered. :dance:

I'm hoping that I can take this camera with me more often than my DSLR.

And if Canon comes out with something that I must have, I know the resale value on this will be pretty good.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

$799 for the body and the 22mm lens sounds good to me.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Pretty interesting size comparison on the new Canon.

http://www.mu-43.com/f92/micro-4-3-sony-nex-canon-eos-m-small-camera-size-comparison-30200/

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Sony announces Alpha NEX-5R Wi-Fi capable mirrorless camera with hybrid AF

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/08/29/Sony-announces-Alpha-NEX-5R-Wi-Fi-capable-mirrorless-camera-with-hybrid-AF-and-in-camera-apps

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Three new Sony lenses.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/12/Sony-creates-10-18mm-F4-16-50mm-F3-5-5-6-power-zoom-and-35mm-F1-8-for-NEX-E-mount

35mm f/1.8 should make people pretty happy.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 12, 2012

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

rio posted:

I don't know why I am surprised that the 35 1.8 costs as much as it does.

IF the lens is good quality, that's not that bad.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

The lens hood is $179.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

why would anyone buy this over the panny 20?

It's probably not that much harder to make a MFT mount version, so they might as well.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Panny 42.5mm f/1.2 lens coming.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/17/panasonic-promises-42-5mm-f1-2-and-150mm-f1-8-lenses

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I guess we weren't the only ones making fun of the new Hassel-NEX 7

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2206781/hasselblad-were-not-robbing-people-off-with-lunar-camera

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Then there's this:

Product Announcement: Lensrentals Looney

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

spog posted:

So, what's the super bargain for a m4/3 body to go with that tiny panny?

I've seen the GF3 for under $300. Not a great camera, but tiny and a good price.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

NEX-5N body for $369

http://www.adorama.com/ISONEX5NB.html?EmailPrice=T

That's a good deal, yes?

If they had a nice 35mm f/1.8 lens, I would buy it in a second.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Yeah, it's not out yet though. And kind of expensive, but it's a big improvement.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I'm interested in it just for the leaf shutter.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

That was a long post.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Amazon has some Fuji XE-1 bodies in stock.

So tempting.

Must...resist.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I've never used an EVF, but from what I gather they can be somewhat quirky but very usable.

I need to resist buying this one because I told myself I was done buying gear for a while. But I really like that camera and what Fuji is doing with this system.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

The EX-1 has the better EVF if that was a big deal.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I didn't know there were still issues with raw processing through LR and PS. If Fuji is going to keep this sensor format AND put it in new cameras, they need to get this taken care of.

It would be cool if the x100s had a crop mode like the Sony RX-1, too.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 5, 2013

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Didn't they just partner with Olympus? I assume their glass should start getting better eventually.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

The X100s isn't even out yet either!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Costello Jello posted:

Same price as an x100, but no optical viewfinder, and a slightly less versatile focal length? No thanks.

Also f/2.8 vs. f/2 on the Fuji.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

What's the Olympus equivalent (or closest) to the Panny GX1?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I hate selling stuff just because it's a pain in the rear end.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Pegnose Pete posted:

I've been researching cameras hoping to get back into photography after a decade or so, and man it's overwhelming. It's like looking for a car. One day I'm set on the Fuji x100s, then the X-Pro 1, then the X-E1, then I decide maybe photography isn't for me, then I look into the NEX series, then back to the X series again.

The good news is that all that stops once you buy a camera.

Nah, just kidding.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Yeah, if you're only going to have a x100, you not only have to be okay with one focal length, but you have to be okay with that focal length. I personally prefer 50mm to 35mm, but some feel the other way. I'm not sure I'd recommend that camera to someone as their first and only camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Kreez posted:

Came by the dorkroom for the first time in a few years to ask about upgrading my 20D to a newer DSLR body. Some sort of spell has been put on me and I've spent the last 3 hours sitting in bed reading about cameras, and I'm 95% sure I'm going to be buying an x100 or an x100s ASAP. I'm guessing this happens to a lot of people.

I'm going to rationalize it by telling myself I'll end up bring a camera along far more if it's smaller, I don't have to think about lenses, and it's prettier. Mostly the last thing.

edit: Who am I kidding, it'll be the X100S

Definitely get the x100s. From what I understand, they never did sort out the sticky aperture blade issue on the x100. If you get stuck with that you could get hosed.