Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

My M adapter came from ebay seller fotodiox, who are based in the US, and I'm happy with it. Rangefinder adapters generally won't have as many moving parts as SLR adapters - there's less that can potentially go wrong, so it's probably safer to buy cheaper ones. My FD adapter from the same seller has a diaphragm lock that slips out of place easily and is kind of annoying. I'll probably spend a bit more for a better one next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

The one place I could see this Nikon being useful (for someone like me, at least) is as a platform to use the huge variety of old cine lenses, since their coverages are probably fine for this sensor. But even that's not something I've ever felt terribly motivated to do, and most of those lenses aren't all that great.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

daspope posted:

I am finally am getting some money back from insurance from my d7000 and am looking into getting a new camera. I am interested in the x100 and the NEX-5n. I know sony is planing to release an EVF for the NEX-5n, but then it kind of defeats the point of it being a mirror-less with size (also is $350). The only big draw to the NEX-5n is the 1080p video. I can't decide, I will probably be happy with either.
If you ever plan on doing anything with off-camera lighting, wait for the NEX-7. The 5n AFAIK doesn't have a hotshoe or any decent way of triggering a flash, but the 7 will. The EVF is built in, so no bulky attachments needed, and the price will be about the same as the 5n+EVF.

edit: Also, I finally updated the firmware on my NEX-3. The focus peaking thing is amazing. Autofocus is now obsolete (I'm half serious here, getting correct focus on exactly what you want seems just as quick to me as cycling through AF points).

FasterThanLight fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 4, 2011

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I've had great luck with the peaking feature on my CV 35/1.2, even wide open. It doesn't work on every scene, but having the 7x/14x LCD zoom to fall back on isn't the worst thing - just slows you down a bit.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

My two major issues with the NEX-3 are the non-existent hot shoe, and the fact that the corners look terrible with wide angle rangedinfer lenses. Apparently Sony did something to fix the corner issue on the 5N, but *not* on the 7. And the 7 has a hot shoe, but the 5N does not. :argh: Sony, why are you stupid?

Seriously thinking about getting the Ricoh GXR M mount instead.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

The 5n has an EVF accessory available, if that may be of interest you.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

There were a bunch of M8s posted on the RFF classifieds within a day or so of the X-Pro announcement. I'm actually still tempted to go that route because of the bigger sensor, a guarantee that my lenses will work, and the fact that I really don't care about high ISO performance, but I don't think I could ever spend that much on something that old.

Still better than the people still paying $1500 for an Epson RD-1. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Yes, it is APS-H. I'm much more concerned with preserving the FOV of my wide angle lenses than sensor performance.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

My parents are looking for a telephoto zoom for m4/3 (E-PL1, specifically). Nothing serious, just vacation-type stuff, and they just have a kit lens at the moment. Any recommendations?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

The Voigtlander 35/1.2 is sharp enough for my tastes wide open, though I'm far from a pixel peeper.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I just want the guts from a Kodak Easyshare in an Eastman 2-D body.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Does the ZE not have an aperture ring on the barrel?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I have several generic ebay NEX batteries that work fine. I think I just bought the cheapest ones I could find from US-based sellers.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

moonduck posted:

What with all the very small rangefinder lenses out there, especially the collapsible ones, I'm willing to bet you could find something that would work as pancakes even without a mod.

FWIW, my Contax RF mount Tessar 50/2.8 won't collapse on a NEX-3 - it hits the baffles in front of the sensor. I haven't tried any others, but I suspect you'll see similar issues.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Voigtlander 17/.95 should be out very soon.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I bought a Leica because they were much cheaper than similar Nikon rangefinders.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Or is it just that your FOV changes and the same amount of light is hitting the sensor, only a crop of the FF image the lens produces?

This is exactly right.

edit: oh hey look, i've had this page open a long time!

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Aredna posted:

I've been starting to think the same thing - but if the latest rumor of the G zoom being a pancake are true all is forgiven for a while.
It's probably not really a pancake, but a collapsible lens. The m43 kit lenses are like this - they look small collapsed, but look like a normal kit zoom when in use.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

da weed wizard posted:

Wow, it looks like you can find new in box Panasonic GF3's (body only) for $200 or less on Craigslist.

It's not cutting edge or top of the line, but its not ancient either, anyone aware of a cheaper way to get a new camera to play around with micro four thirds?
E-PL1 for $150 on Amazon, though I'm not sure how the two compare.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Hey I am new to this whole thing and I'm looking at buying a 4/3 camera. While shopping I came upon the following craigslist post: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/pho/3071563370.html

Dude is selling a bunch of old lenses, and it's my understanding that 4/3 mount, especially the PEN stuff cause they have sensor-shift VR, are really good with these if you have an adapter? What's the rule on these, is this kind of thing worth investing in? Will I need a mount adapter for each brand?
There's some use, but it's limited due to the crop factor. Since the m4/3 sensor is half the length and width of a 35mm film frame, a wide-angle lens for a 35mm camera becomes a slow (and thus, not that exciting) normal lens on m4/3, and a normal (50mm or so) lens becomes more of a portrait length (which actually is a nice thing to have). Personally, I'd get for a nice 50mm, but stick with native m4/3 lenses for everything else.

Regarding the ad, I don't see much listed worth getting excited about, at least for the price. Check KEH.com for used gear - and hey, if you're in Atlanta, you can probably order and pick it up locally!

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

The Voigtlander 50/1.1 is decent and under $900 on the used market, though I probably wouldn't spend that much on a 50mm lens unless I was going to use it on full frame or 35mm.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

A full frame NEX would be pretty cool because it might force Sony to make the bodies large enough to fit in a normal sized hand.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Do any of the current Fuji X cameras have anything like focus peaking and an electronic level overlay? Very tempted to sell my NEX-7 for an X-E1 now, but I think I'd miss those features.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

FWIW, I just sold a Leica 50/1.4 for $4500. And it didn't even have IS.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

teraflame posted:

By the way if anyone is using an e-mount -> nikon adapter can you give me advice on what to buy? I need aperture control for G lenses and brands like novoflex are absurdly priced. Can I get away with generic chinese made ones or some sort of middleground?

The $50 Fotodiox adapter has an aperture control dial that supposedly works with G lenses, but you won't be able to see which aperture you're set to. It seems kind of pointless to me to keep Nikon AF lenses around if you don't have a Nikon body to use them on.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

(At least in the past) the Leica P&S rebrands have also included a copy of Lightroom. That makes it a little more reasonable, if you don't already have it.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Radbot posted:

Crazy good deal on the E/NEX mount 19mm Sigma f/2.8, $99 at B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/852002-REG/Sigma_400965_19mm_f_2_8_EX_DN.html

Everyone should go buy this now. Great lens at $200, but this is basically free.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

rio posted:

Does anyone here have the Sigma E-mount 19mm? I'm wondering if it as sharp as the 30mm - I love that thing to death.

I don't have the 30mm, but the 19mm is as sharp as any of my Leica lenses. It's more prone to CA and distortion, but whatever, easily fixed in LR. If you like 28mm FOV, get it, $200 well spent.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

There already is a full frame NEX video camera, so it seems logical that a still camera would happen at some point.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I'd personally be very excited about the 20mm if the Sigma 19mm didn't already exist (and even then, I'd still consider getting this one since it looks a lot more compact). I don't think the Panasonic 20mm is a good comparison since that's a normal lens and this is a wide angle.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Speaking of useful adapters, has anybody tried one of those shift adapters on an APS-C camera? Would the image circle from something like a Nikon 18mm or 20mm be large enough to even be worthwhile?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

rexelation posted:

Any words on the C3 getting an update sometime as well or am I hosed? Any more experienced Sony users can tell me how long do they usually support their products?
Do you mean firmware updates? I wouldn't expect much more unless a major problem came up, but why would you be hosed? If it ain't broke, etc.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Martytoof posted:

How accurate is focus peaking on a NEX anyway? I'm just idly curious what would happen if you adapted a Sigma 30 1.4 and tried to focus peak wide open. Would it actually pick up the contrast or would that be beyond its sensing resolution?

I use it with a 35/1.2. I'll zoom in to confirm focus if I have time, but peaking alone is fine in most settings once you get a feel for it. I've found that setting the camera to b&w (you still get color RAWs) and peaking to red works well for me if I need to focus quickly.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

So Nikon is taking on the X100s with this?
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/4/4065720/nikon-coolpix-a-announcement-price-release-date

I like 28mm for street shooting but I think it's probably a bit wide for a fixed lens camera.
Not really a fan of the retracting lens on an $1100 camera either, it just makes this look more like an RX100 than an RX1.

I like it, but the cost is hard to justify when I can get a m4/3 body + 14mm for so little now. Supposedly Ricoh has a new GRD with an APS-C sensor on the way, I'll be very interested to see how that compares.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

whatever7 posted:

In the digital era, if you don't have top tier sensor, you can't get the highest image quality even if the lens have great resolution. I think Leica has been getting less and less competitive. Not quite Vertu bad but it could be in 20 years.

Well, if you want a digital rangefinder, you don't exactly have a lot of choices. It's not like they're selling a blinged out SLR for double the price.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

ease posted:

Nex 6 has 99 point phase detection. The caveat is it only works with certain lenses, and I'm almost certain they are all Sony.

The newer Sony A-mount -> NEX adapter does phase detect AF as well. Only 15 points, but that may be better than the native AF on most of the cameras.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I don't think anybody ever considered the Konica Hexar, Contax T series, Leica Minilux, etc. to be gimmick cameras. High-end P&S have been a thing forever.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

What makes the X-100 a "point and shoot"? Just because you can't change lenses? It's no more "P&S" than a DSLR shot in "Auto" or even "P(ro)" mode. It has full manual controls so I hardly put it in the P&S category.

I don't know, is there a better name for it? I don't consider "point and shoot" to be a bad thing. It's not an SLR, it's not a TLR, it's not a rangefinder, it's not fixed focus, it's not scale focus. I guess you could call it a view camera, but the same could be said about just about any digital P&S. The other cameras I mentioned have manual modes too, but they're generally considered to be P&S. I'd even consider a Contax G a P&S. I'd rather just call it a P&S than invent yet another acronym that nobody knows and nobody can agree on.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I currently have a Ricoh GR-D II and it's great (aside from the dated sensor). The interface is very customizable and you can assign a button for pretty much anything anybody cares about. Assuming this one hasn't changed much, I'll have to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

joelcamefalling posted:

My main problems with the controls is that there are too many little buttons and not enough dedicated controls. That's the best part about the x100 (and the Contax 645) - a ring for aperture, a dial for shutter speed, a dial for EC. Throw in an ISO dial and its perfect. You can shoot all day without ever needing a menu or looking at a screen. I wish Canon would pick up on some of what Fuji is doing, instead of aping Sony's touchscreen gameboy controls.

GR has all of those :confused: The controls aren't as good as the X100, but they pack a lot into not much space, and they're still very logical. As for the size, the GR can fit in anybody's pocket, the X100 can't. That's a big deal.