Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
I really want to get the new Olympus 45mm F1.8 prime lens that just came out. Thing is, I only got the drat GF2 last month and it's my first interchangeable lens camera so I probably should just chill out.

http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2011/08/olympus-mzuiko-45mm-f18-review-petaling.html

Looks really good for use as a walking around lens (better than the 14mm Panasonic anyway.) The new X 14-42 might also be good, but its only advantage for me would be the fact that it collapses since I already have the kit zoom. Nonetheless, I am glad that all sorts of lenses are coming out for these Cameras and that they are in no way getting left behind as any sort of niche market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

Augmented Dickey posted:

If you don't mind manual focus, why not just get a legacy 50mm f/1.4? It will give you an even shallower DOF for like 1/4 the price.

it would be something that would probably sit on the camera and come with me many days. A legacy lens will be really big and MF is slow for catching anything that isn't likely to sit still.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
I've decided against the Olympus 45 1.8 and gotten the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 instead. I think the latter will be a better all purpose lens and that i'll be better served with a fast walking around lens. Also, if I do find that i am really tending towards portraits then the 20 seems to re-sell pretty well.
The 20 does appear to be the 'nifty fifty' for m4/3ds and has been out for a pretty long time, so the fact that there's still such demand for them is a testament to their utility.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
in order to offset my dismay at not getting the 45mm, I have ordered the 50mm Konica Hexanon 1.7 for like £25. Between that and the 20mm I think i'm going to be set for anything.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

daspope posted:

The NEX-7 does look pretty good and has a nice balance between the two. I have my dads nikon d5000 on loan which is pretty nice in comparison to the d40 I've been using at work. I just canot stand the viewfinder on the d40 for longer than 30 minutes. Using my Zoom h4n and a shotgun mic with the NEX7 or x100 will look ridiculous.

If I did get the NEX-7 should I sell my nikon lenses and get some sony mount ones? Has anyone heard of plans for a pancake lens for it? It would seem pretty silly to have a really small body with a huge lens.

The NEX does have the 16mm pancake...but that is pretty wide. That being said, it is going to be really difficult for Sony to get lens sizes down due to the size of the sensor (bigger sensor usually means bigger lenses.)
It's one of the reasons I went for actual m4/3 (Panasonic GF2) - I can fit that camera with the 35mm equivalent pancake into my jacket pocket. The NEX doesn't seem to have a 'normal' focal length lens that would allow the camera to fit in a jacket pocket.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

Geek USSR posted:

I'm a Nikon D90 user and want to get my dad a new digital camera for Christmas. He uses a 5 year old Olympus P/S right now, so I was thinking of getting him a DSLR.

However, I saw this on Costco's website. It looks like a decent price. Is the camera any good? http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11679789&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC

I've googled it and read reviews, but I'd like to hear from y'all.

depends on what kind of shots he takes. I love my GF2 because i can take it everywhere in my bag or pocket with the 20mm lens. That's amazing if you're the sort who likes doing street photography, or just generally carrying the thing everywhere. I find i take waaay more photos now due to that.

m43s cameras can also use all manner of legacy lenses. Because the M4/3 sensors are so close to the lens mount, it means you can basically put any DSLR lens on them. All the adapters need to do is put some more distance between the sensor and the lens.

The E-PL1 is even better for legacy lenses than my panasonic since it has in body image stabilization. You can fit any old lens on it and it will stabilize it for you.

It's drawbacks are the focus speed, which is notoriously bad, and the fact that it is an older generation of camera now - but as I understand it the PL1 still uses the same sensor as the higher end models.

The key thing with that deal though is that you aren't getting any pancake lenses with it, so if you want it to be portable you'd need to drop some cash for a 17 or 20mm pancake. The kit zooms included there aren't huge, but certainly aren't pocketable. That being said, I think that price is decent, and it will be a huuge step up from any point and shoot. Even an s100.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
Has anyone here purchased the OM-D?

I already have the Panasonic 14-42 kit lens that came with my GF-2.

I'm debating between getting the OM-D body only for £999, or getting it with the 12-50mm kit lens for £1150.

Since I would sell the 14-42 if I got the olympus lens, the question is whether the 12-50 kit is worth the approx £75ish (£150 - value of 14-42) difference. I rarely use the 14-42, but it *is* nice to have if I need some versatility and don't want to carry around multiple primes.

Anti-Derivative fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 30, 2012

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

unleash the unicorn posted:

I don't mean to be a smartass but if I were you I would look at the lens selection before dropping more than a thousand bucks on a camera (esp. if you won't have much money left afterwards).

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_pen.asp?section=lens
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/cameras-and-camcorders-lumix-lenses

also keep in mind that due to the short flange distances, m43rds cameras can be adapted to use almost any legacy lens. The Konica hexanon family of lenses is particularly popular, comprises of a fairly comprehensive set of fast primes and can be found on ebay for really cheap.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

keyframe posted:

Yea the Oly 45 and the Pana 25 are the only lenses I want pretty much. Used my friends OMD with those lenses and they were both amazing.

give some serious consideration to the panasonic 20/1.7. The leica might have higher quality glass but the 20 is still excellent, cheaper, and is really, really portable.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
I almost only use primes. However, I think I would prefer to have at least one zoom just in case circumstances dictate the need.

The macro function, I didn't know the 12-50 had that. I think you've just sealed the decision for me. I don't have any macro primes, so even a moderately decent macro capability would give the 12-50 far more utility over the panasonic 14-42.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
Sweet, I'm glad I picked up the 12-50. Macro mode is fun, and I can switch between electric zoom and manual by pushing the focus ring forwards and backwards. That's pretty badass (although I'll rarely use the electric zoom.)

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

MarsellusWallace posted:

I'd assume that this is going to be a motorized collapsible lens, ala a point and shoot. (I think m4/3 has a similar pancake zoom?) This in no way implies that it will be bad, but it should push the system towards being actually pocketable.

Is there some technical reason I'm not aware of that prevents anybody from making a prime in the 25 to 40mm and F1.8 to 2.8 range? I know the Sigma 30mm is supposed to be stellar, but it's still not even close to being as compact as the 16mm.

I would presume that the simple physics of a 40mm lens would require it to be, at a minimum, 40mm in length, not even taking into account the extra distance required to allow the light to cover the APS-C sized sensor. I expect that making the lens fast, and stuffing a focus motor inside would further affect the size.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

moonduck posted:

There's a lot of work-arounds to that. The current Canon 40mm is a telephoto design IIRC and is shorter than 40mm. As for the flange distance, Fuji has been doing interesting stuff with large rear elements to get enough sensor coverage. It's not simple, but a lot can be done to make mirrorless lenses small.

That's not even talking about the whole microlens situation.

The 40mm would include the flange distance. That lens is actually a lot bigger than the standalone pictures imply when it's not sitting on a full frame DSLR body (which has a huge flange distance). On mirrorless bodies like the NEX, or even Canon's own new offering, you can't hide the flange distance from the lens size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

Man_of_Teflon posted:

The Olympus XA has a neat lens design to get around this:

wow that's pretty neat! (although unlikely to help a call for tiny 40mm APS-C system primes) I wonder if there's any other lenses that use that technique.