Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Kenny Logins posted:

Important here: have your parents ever used a (D)SLR, or are they coming from point-and-shoot? The reason I ask is that the X-T20 is smallish to hold, if you're used to beefier sized cameras. DSLRs remain, in part, popular with beginners because they are easier to hold onto, especially if you're tripod-averse.

If they have no experience with DSLRs then the X-T20 handling should be easy enough to work with. That's what I've found, at least, but I'm also not allergic to using a tripod either.
Looking to take the step from iPhone pictures to a real camera and it seems like a mirrorless camera might be the way to go. Is there anything that would make me regret going with something like the X-T20 over a DSLR? I want to start small but would eventually like to build a setup that would allow me to take high quality pictures of a variety of subjects without paying the equivalent of a nice used car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Thank you for the advice. It does sound like a mirrorless is the way to go. I just can't see myself carrying around a big heavy camera and based on my gear nerd tendencies, I think I would graduate from a cheaper point and shoot quickly.

Ola posted:

Another anecdote: I was in the Notre Dame, standing and looking at some bishop's golden rod or whatever. A guy walked past me, did a little stretch of his obviously sore wrist, then heaved his red ringed, grey Canon bazooka up to his face. He then quickly and efficiently snapped a pic of each object in the room while walking sideways like a crab, viewfinder not leaving his eye all the while. Then he left the room. I knew there and then I'll never bring a DSLR on holiday.

I bet flying home with all his gear was a pain in the rear end, no chance of traveling just with hand luggage. Then when he got home he would spend two weeks Lightrooming four memory cards full of Notre Dame, Louvre, the Seine and the Eiffel tower, upload them to Flickr and then never look at them again.

DSLRs - it makes you do life wrong.
Its funny that you mention Notre Dame, as my recent honeymoon (including Paris) is what sparked this interest in "real" cameras. We got by with our iphone cameras which, while great, pretty clearly had limitations. On the flip side, I also saw people with huge DSLR's slung around their necks and big camera bags, and figured there was a better way.

Is it likely that a new camera like the X-T20 will have a big/good Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale? Further reading suggests that the combo available that has the camera body and the 18-55mm lens kit would be a good starting point.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

New to photography, looking for a mirrorless setup plan. Priorities are 1) casual travel and family pictures, landscapes, etc and 2) macro pictures. After reading a lot of the thread, it seems like the G85 and O-MD 10 are both pretty highly recommended as solid cameras for beginners/filthy casuals. As a glasses wearer with deeply recessed eyes, I'm wondering if actually using the EVF on these cameras is a good plan. Is it possible to get away with taking most/all of your pictures with the LCD? To that effect, would the smaller GX85 be the better choice then? It doesn't need to be pocket size small, but I want to be able to carry the camera and a versatile lens without needing a dedicated bag when traveling.

I'd like to be able to get a setup for around 1k with an all purpose prime and a macro capable lens, although that budget is flexible. The 4/3's family seems like an affordable and versatile group compared to Sony or Fuji, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

cheese fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 12, 2018

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

The GX85 looks like its quite a bit smaller than the G85, although I guess neither is big enough to be a problem and neither is probably small enough to slip into a pocket or anything.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Was surprised to see that the local Best Buy had pretty much all the cameras I was considering as display models (although not all plugged in and with a lens). Those corded security devices really make it hard to get a good sense of how the camera would sit in my hand, but oh well. I think camera that felt best in my hand was the Canon M6, as it seemed to have a big grip for a small body. That said, looking at the prices of the Canon lenses...yikes.

The main question I came away with were how important are physical dials and knobs vs buttons vs using the screen/scroll wheels to control functions and setting. The X100F, a dead sexy camera with great dials, felt good in my hands but then I found myself wondering if I really NEED all those dials. Size wise, it was a little disappointing that even the GX85 that they had felt like it would be too big to carry around without a dedicated bag. Maybe I should be looking at cameras like the Ricoh GR II instead.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

rio posted:

Once you get used to those physical controls it is hard to go back. For me it was more like coming home because I was used to having external controls on manual film bodies - before I switched to Fuji completely I was shooting a Canon 5D and I certainly made do. Everything was fine and I didn’t have many complaints. But then getting an X100 I started leaving the 5D home more often and eventually I realized I was using it more than the 5D so sold it and got an X-T1.

I don’t think it is at all essential to have those physical controls - plenty of people do without them. But nothing replaces the feeling of adjusting the aperture with an actual aperture ring, reaching up to adjust shutter speed with a physical knob on top of the camera etc. all just feels right. I also think it is a great tool to learn. There’s a reason so many people advocate starting with a fully manual film body (or at least they used to).
Fair enough. Probably go with one of the Olympus OM-D E-M10's. The mark III worth the extra cash or should I just get a mark II? Used ones for <400.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

GEMorris posted:

If 4k video matters to you, get the mk3, or consider the gx85
Thanks.

Are any of these cameras significantly better or easier to use for moving the raw files over to my phone so I can edit it in Lightroom and then put on social media?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Went back in to play with the cameras again and I think I like the left sided EVF in the rangefinder style the most. Just felt the most comfortable to use and it seems to make the cameras smaller ergonomically. How does the GX85 stack up against an older camera like the Fuji X-E2S? The latter can be had for about the same price (under 700 new with the seemingly well regarded 18-55 kit lens). The new X-E3 is a big jump up price wise but would it be a bad idea to buy a new camera that is essentially 4-5 years old tech wise?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Well, I have no experience with m4/3 but X-E2/X-E2S is still perfectly fine camera, it's the 16 MP 2nd generation X-Trans sensor so photos you get are pretty much same as X-T10 or X-T1. And 18-55 as kit lens is just :eyepop:

I'd suggest you look up lenses you'd like to have in both systems... So you know the size, weight and price of the stuff you are getting into... Some of the Fuji stuff is heavier than freaking Canon full-frame lenses...
Frankly, I see myself using a versatile, quality zoom for the vast majority of the situations and wanting the flexibility to buy a few more specialty lenses (specifically a great macro lens) over time. Maybe the X-E2S is the way to go, seems like a good deal.

cheese fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 16, 2018

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

GEMorris posted:

There are a lot of sites that do side by side comparisons of the spec sheet, but for me it would come down to two things. 1. Do you care about video? 2. Do you want in body (or combo ibis and lens) image stabilization?

If the answer to either of those is yes then imo the gx85 is the right answer. If they aren't then the decision is maybe more nuanced.

Remember you can sell the 12-32 kit lens for about $150 on eBay to bring the total price down if you want, that's what I'm doing with mine.
Thanks SMERSH and GEMorris for the detailed replies, especially the breakdown of pros/cons. Even though Fuji seems like it has that certain something, I would like to be able to shoot video at least as an option so I think the GX85 is the way to go. I'll probably sell the 12-32 and buy a better all around zoom. Thanks again.

I'll probably do what I did with my telescope equipment which is to buy electronics new (camera body) and glass/metal/plastic used (lenses).

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Pulled the trigger on a Panasonic GX85 from B&H. I prefer new for things with serious electronics in them and the no sales tax for CA + selling the kit lens eventually should make it solid price. Feeling some analysis by paralysis with the lens selection but I won't buy anything until I figure out what lenses I would use based on my first few months with it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Teach posted:

De-lurking to say looking forward to seeing what you think, as I think the GX85 is going to be my next camera. I already have the 20mm prime on my old GF1 body, just wondering whether the upgrade is worth it for me - I'm not a good photographer.
Well this is really my first camera so we shall see what my thoughts are haha. I've committed to using the 12-32mm kit lens for a while before making any lens purchases. We shall see if I can hold to that when my tax return is deposited into checking, but I'll do my best.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

drat sexy looking! My GX85 gets here tomorrow - lots of the choices I was thinking about. The 15, 25, 42.5 F1.7 set looks so great. I love that they are all vaguely the same size. Interestingly, it seems the cost of the 25mm went back up to 250 from 150 everywhere? Maybe some promotion just expired. Good work getting it before that.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

Speaking of the 15mm summilux, if anyone else is interested, I'll put a post up in the buy and sell thread for mine this weekend. It would be easier if you're in Canada, otherwise shipping would be costlier. The $400 USD used price tag may have finally motivated me to sell mine.
I told myself I would wait, but I'm interested.

GEMorris posted:

I have a new baby, and am very much an amateur, so my style of shooting is "the kid, portraits of my wife with the kid, and Street shooting"
What made you choose the Peak Design Leash? My GX85 got here today and I forgot how hefty it is. Looking at the Slide Lite.

Did yours come with a "body cap"? The only cap that was with mine was the cap for the 12-32 lens.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

GX85 got here last week and had a chance to really play with it a lot this weekend. As someone who hasn't owned a non-smart phone camera in a decade, holy poo poo! It does so much, feels so good and was a real steal price wise. The only real gripe is that I'm missing the flippable screen more than I thought. The wife gave me a heavy eye roll when we tried to take a selfie on our hike from a nice vista. We got it with a little trial and error, but I think I might need something with a true rotating screen (either flip up all the way or to the side).

It looks if I want a flip screen on a relatively compact camera without breaking the bank, I need...
1) GX850 - potentially mediocre ergonomics, no IBIS and 5 minutes of 4k video
2) Olympus Pen F - expensive, no 4k video
3) G85 - bigger, lose the rangefinder style I like (no nose on the glass)

Is the Olympus Pen F really the only recent camera that combines IBIS, flip screen and a rangefinder location for the viewfinder?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

GX85 is definitely going back. I need a bigger EVF and a better grip. Its just not working with my glasses and my hand size. I'm hoping the G85 will fix both of those.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

GEMorris posted:

Well the good news is that the G85 is an equal or better camera in every way other than size/weight, price, and evf location. If we didn't already own a G85 I probably would have insisted on getting it as my personal camera rather than the gx85.
Well gently caress me. Went back to the Best Buy to fondle some more cameras and I just couldn't stop looking at the Fuji's they had. They are just so loving beautiful. I gather that its the camera equivalent of buying one of those retro waxed canvas Herschel backpacks when your nylon Jansport will do just fine, but they just call to me. Might just get a black X-T20 and join the Fuji Fan club here.

Incidentally, I also took a closer look at the Canon SL2 and Nikon D3400 on the recommendation of a friend and was stunned how cheap they feel. Some combination of the optical view finder and hard plastic shell made it feel like a kids toy.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

SimpleCoax posted:

I'm starting to think about selling my XT-2 for this X-H1. I was expecting not to like it, but I definitely need to try one out.
They must have figured out IBIS. I remember when doing my research that they said it was impossible with the way their lens mount is or something.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Well I bought an X-E2s off one of those used camera equipment sites for 350. Supposed to be in "Excellent" condition but we will see. A friend advised me to get a solid but older tech Fuji, build up some lenses and then hop onto a used X-T2 or the forthcoming X-T3 (thought about the X-Pro 1 as well) later in the year. Thinking about jumping straight into primes with either the 18 or 23mm F2.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Digital Jesus posted:

Sony A7 III is likely to be announced in ~15 mins. Here's what the latest rumours think the specs will be:

24 mp
7 fps
425 contrast points
167 phase detection
Joystick
Z battery
Touch Screen
4k recording 24, 25 and 30 fps
1080p 24, 25, 30 and 60 fps
$1899 USD
Actually spent the morning looking at the Sony fullframe A series after someone recommended the original A7 as a good buy. Looks awfully similar to the Fuji X-H1?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Well, now I've got a friend who is into photography encouraging me to jump on the Sony Full frame train. Says that between the A7III and all the new FE mount lenses coming out, that full frame mirrorless is the future and APC-S is the past. Damnit!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

8th-snype posted:

People have been saying APS-C is a thing of the past since the very first 5D came out 13 years ago. Tell your friend he's wrong, APS-C and M4/3 are here to stay get used to it.
His perspective seemed to be that the advantages that the smaller sensors have always had (smaller size, cheaper, easier implementation of IBIS, cheaper glass) is being eroded by Sony full frame mirrorless.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I think I'm going to stick with Fuji. I'm only 350 in for that used X-E2s and will be grabbing a 23mm F2 as my first lens this week.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Looking at a 35mm F2 for my first lens for my new X-E2s. Or would I be better off with the 18-55mm 2.8/4? I like the idea of having to learn with a prime lens so I can focus on composition.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Animal posted:

If its to learn composition with a prime, IMO, the 23mm (35mm equiv.) is the lens to get. Either the f/2 or the sublime but largish and expensive f/1.4

Thats my opinion though. A lot of people really love the 35mm for that more narrow field of view, but in my personal opinion the 23mm is more versatile.

Either way you choose you are getting a great kit. The 18-55mm is a fantastic zoom and I use it a lot but for some psychological reason I take better pictures when I put a prime on my camera (or carry the X100) and have no other options.
I haven't bought any lenses yet - purchased body only online. Still figuring on zoom vs prime for first lenses.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

After spending way too long looking at the Flickriver "most interesting photos" pages for various Fuji lenses, I realized that I definitely wanted something really wide so my first purchase was a Samyang/Rokinon 12mm F2.0 on ebay today. I will be pairing it up with either a 35mm F2 or the 18-55 lens for general use. It really helped clarify what kind of photo I like. The 23mm pages looked good but I kept feeling like the wide landscape shots were not wide enough, and the more narrow target shots could have been more focused.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Anyone that wants wide Fuji shots should pick up a 10-24. It's great and the only zoom lens I've ever really liked. The 16mm is faster and slightly sharper but having options is great.
Ya if I had the money for that kind of lens, I would. Rokinon 12mm was only 240 on ebay so quite a bit cheaper. 10-24 is too much for a lens that wouldnt be on my camera the majority of the time.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Oh yeah the 12mm is good. I just mean if you regularly shoot social documentary or landscapes and need that wide of a FOV the 10-24 is perfect. It's not fast enough for low light work but it's serviceable in mediocre light.
Fair enough. Think this 12mm F2 will do me for landscapes, inside of churches and old buildings when on vacation, etc.

I'm tracking and preparing to bid on multiple 35mm F2 and 18-55's on ebay, I still haven't decided.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

whatever7 posted:

ebay has 20% on everything coupon PSPRING20 valid for today. So if you are eyeing an expensive lens for a while this is perfect time to save up to $100.
Does it only work on buy it now?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

whatever7 posted:

The coupon only work from noon to 10pm ish last night, so it also worked for auctions that ended during that window.

Slickdeal felt like Black Friday yesterday, everybody tried to landrush large item deals. Hilarious.
Well poo poo. I've honestly not used Ebay for much. The Samyang 12mm F2 I bought for my X-E2s arrived and its a great little lens. Sooooo wide and the rings turn nicely. Pretty easy to focus although I do need to check to see if the infinity marker is truly infinity (supposedly an issue with that).

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Jimlad posted:

IBIS takes up space, no way around it. The A7II series had to increase in size over the previous generation to accommodate IBIS specifically.
The A7III is basically the exact same size as the X-T2 with a bigger sensor and IBIS. Just hard to see why they wouldn't be able to do it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I had a 5 hour layover in Seattle on my way from CA to Europe last week and when I got to London, the two lenses that I had STUPIDLY packed in my checked bag were gone. 12mm Samyang F/2 and 18-55mm Fuji Kit lens. Oddly, they didn't take my X-E2s. I waited until I got home a few days ago to contact Virgin Atlantic thinking that maybe, somehow, I had forgotten to pack the lenses, but nope. I put each one in a sock and then put them in among my clothes. Should have just carried them in my backpack - lesson learned. Fortunately, I got both off ebay for like 450 total so its not as expensive a mistake as it could have been.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

So Nikon will reveal their mirrorless system in 26 days (Aug 23rd). If they can combine the best of the D850 with the knowledge they gained from the Nikon 1 stuff, and launch with a decent lens selection and/or roadmap for more lenses, they ought to be in a good place...
Is it supposed to be full frame?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

powderific posted:

The rumor is two full frame bodies, one 45mp for round $4k and another for less money with less mp and other stuff. Sounds like 3 launch lenses are gonna be a 24-70 f4, 35, and 50 though who knows. One of the other rumors is that they've put a ton of time into developing a really good f-mount adapter which is great for me.
So just going straight for the Sony A7 line. Does it seem like crop sensor days are numbered?

powderific posted:

If Canon just would have released some lenses for the EOS-M I actually kinda like the bodies. Nikon is pretty clearly jumping into the higher end of the market first though, which fits with their restructuring strategy.
I remember playing around with some of the EOS-M bodies at the camera store when I was initially shopping and was surprised how much I liked them. Shame they never went all in.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Yeah, wedding photography really teaches you to learn to stop down a bit. Lots of wedding photogs do the "100% wide open on a full frame sensor" thing. Shallow DOF is a tool not a style, the world would be so much better if people just used f/4-f/8 more often.
I took some shallow DOF pictures at a BBQ this past weekend and I regretted quite a few of them. I ended up with some sort of odd looking pictures where someone is holding a baby and the person standing just off their shoulder looking at the baby is just out of focus because I didn't stop it down. Not like "obliterated into a pleasing bokeh fuzz" but "Are they supposed to be blurry?" levels. Shallow DOF is for when you really want to isolate one thing or to create "art". F/8 is much better when you want to document things.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

curried lamb of God posted:

B&H has the X-T2 with the 35/2 for $1500, same as the X-T2 with 18-55. Guess I have 7 hours (until they reopen for orders) to mull it over
You can pretty reliably get the 35/2 for ~300 used on ebay FWIW.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Having a total fuji lens paralysis by analysis moment. After having my first few lenses stolen from my luggage, I didn't do much for a few months. I borrowed a 35mm 1.4 a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it on my X-E2S. The reality is that I have no idea how to spend my photography money and the options are wide open since the only thing I actually own right now is a used X-E2S body that I got off ebay. Certainly a lens or two seems like the right choice over a body (the X-T2 at 1100 is so tempting though), but I can't seem to commit to which primes or zoom.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

This month long tease of the Nikon full frame mirrorless system is a loving riot. I'm fairly new to digital photography but I can't ever remember a consumer electronics product with this level of marketing build up and hype. They are teasing it like its the first flying car or something, its so hilarious. Especially when so many of the photo big wigs are predicting it to be nothing ground breaking. Most of them seem to fall under "Sony A7 III but either not quite as good or more expensive".

If its "We took the mirror out of a D850" are people going to be pissed?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

tino posted:

Are the leaked photos correct? The mount is bigger than the F mount? So it's like the opposite of the Fuji mount, its impossible to build APSC bodies for it?
I read somewhere that they might be building the new mount to able to accommodate possible future medium format? Not sure if that would even be possible.

In Fuji news I went ahead and bought a 35mm 1.4 for my X-E2s, its really a great focal length and I will be shooting with it for the next few months to see what other focal lengths I wish I had, as advised by people in this thread. I find myself invariably taking pictures of flowers or bugs so that will probably be something more macro capable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Got a Peak Design Slide Lite for my X-E2s annnnnnnd the battery door is too close to the tripod mount to use the bottom plate, which is a bummer as using that as a mount point makes the camera point down instead of straight out. Any ideas for a way to move it?