Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Costello Jello posted:

More Pentax K-01 pics:

All of my LOLs, Pentax. Brought to you by the Marc Newson, the designer who created the following:

Lance Armstrong bike:

Black, yellow, and an abomination before God. The three fundamentals of design according to Marc Newson.

Dear Pentax, I hear you want to design a camera that no one will buy. I've attached my portolio, a chair that no one would buy. Please respond.

Look as an Australian Industrial Designer i think i can say that I hate Marc Newson more than most but seriously what's wrong with the bike? Its a carbon fibre time trial bike designed by Trek. The only input idiot Newson had into it was the placement of the yellow vinyl stickers. If i recall correctly that whole tour Lance Armstrong had several different bikes painted or graphicced by various artists or designers. I think they were all auctioned for his charity too.

That aside i think the K-01 is a horrible design, eschewing benefits of a mirrorless system for the sake of a missed aesthetic. Pretty much a typical Newson design. That said, if it's marketed well it will sell incredibly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Am i stupid to be thinking of replacing my 40D with something mirrorless? Love the look of the xpro1 (the price not so much). Would love to still have a viewfinder as i really dislike taking pictures with a lcd backscreen.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

RustedChrome posted:

I took the X-pro around Philly tonight for to see how it does in the dark. Holy crap, ISO 6400 is amazing. No need for additional noise reduction. What little noise I see looks like a nice fine-grained film with none of that ugly chroma noise confetti at all. Detail is still good, particularly for the landscape type shots I got tonight. So far, no buyers remorse here.

Don't keep making me want one

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

If the rumoured Canon mirrorless is essentially a mirrorless 7d I'll go out and buy one straight away. The biggest thing stopping me from getting a nex 7 or xpro1 at the moment is my other gear. (mostly my 580exii, the 40d and lenses can't be worth too much anymore)

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Yeah one of these, the 18-55 and the 30mm might just be my next camera. Anyone know how a canon 580ex flash would go on the hotshoe?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

RustedChrome posted:

You obviously are not one of these "young people" who are going to buy the heck out of that blinged out hassy! :q:

Is anyone else interested in those Zeiss lenses that were announced for Sony and Fuji mounts? If the price is reasonable, I will be very much interested.

I was looking into them yesterday. One site had a rep talking about a price point of about €1000.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

An xpro1 just followed me home, wish that battery would charge

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Quick update on the X-Pro 1 after two weeks of shooting. I love this thing. Image quality is great, ISO responsiveness is lovely, the 35mm lens is so sharp and i love the size of the camera.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

thetzar posted:

How do you like the responsiveness of it?

The focus is taking a little to get used to. I was quite used to selecting the focus point on the fly with my 40d and now its a bit different. Aside from that though all the controls are pretty good, a bit different and taking a bit of time to get used to but that's going to be what you get switching systems anyway.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I'm starting to seriously consider selling off all my Canon gear to fund another lens for the X-Pro 1. Any of you guys get rid of a DSLR when you went mirrorless rather than keeping it around? Anything you miss?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Mest0r posted:

I didn't buy into a system, just a camera rather (the X100) and the biggest differences or trade-offs was the AF speed and different types of optical viewfinder. The XPro 1 (and the X100) offer the EVF as well as the OVF so that helps when you need to frame something more critically, but that doesn't really replace looking through the lens like you would with a SLR for me personally.

Ultimately it was worth it to me because I took more pictures with my camera just because I was more willing to take my camera out with me rather than leaving it in a bag at home.

I've already bought the X-Pro 1, had it about a month and love it. I've just kept my old 40D kicking around as its got a Tamron 17-50 on it and I occasionally have to shoot exhibitions and events for work. What I'm thinking is to sell the 40D, 17-50, 50 1.8, Batteries cards the lot (tho keep my speedlight) and use the money to either pick up the new 14mm or the new 18-55, then grab the 10-24 the it comes out.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Mest0r posted:

Doh, I thought you didn't have the XPro 1 yet. It sounds like you're just asking the internet permission for what you have set in your mind to do anyway. You can probably try shooting with the XPro 1 for work and see if that works out for you to begin with.

Yeah that's pretty much true about asking the internet. I used the X-Pro for some shots a couple of weeks ago and it was great, just i only have the 35mm so i still had to carry the 40D with me for wide angle shots. Oh well its only money right?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Just sold off all my Canon gear so i can afford a new lens for my X-Pro 1. I'm thinking the new 18-55 zoom is probably the way to go but occasionally have a thought that the 18mm prime might be better. Who knows I'll update this on Saturday.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Just got my 18-55 for my X-Pro 1 this morning, I've gone through and updated the firmware to 2.01 too. Looking forward to playing with it this weekend.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

Got to play with my Xpro1 & 35 1.4 today a bit. Upset that it doesn't have a minimum shutter speed setting like the x100- and due to the size/weight/balance I will likely always have the shutter set to 1/250, on auto iso (6400) and alter my aperture as needed.

On auto ISO with an aperture set, the shutter speed chosen for the 35 is 1/50~ which is not nearly high enough for me to get a high % of stable shots.

It's kind of awkward sized actually-- big and solid, yet smaller than a dSLR by quite a margin. I think I'll like it though, I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Watch out for situations where you move from a dark environment to a bright one, sometimes ISO 200 and 1/125s still lets in too much light.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

krackmonkey posted:

I hope Fuji looks long and hard at their lineup and what they'd consider their competition. The X100 successor should be looking at the Sony RX1 as its' main competition, and with that in mind, I'd like to see them really take that bold next step into the future with the X system. They don't need to rush into FF with the X-PRO/XE series, but why not go there with the fixed lens X series? It would pave the way for the technology to filter down to the interchangeable lens models at a later date.

My wish list:

*20-24mp X-Trans Full Frame sensor
*35/1.4 Fujinon lens with similar software crop zoom modes like Sony is doing with the RX1
*Hybrid CDAF/PDAF, driving a linear focus motor like the new Fujinon 18-55 uses
*MF Clutch similar to the Olympus 12mm and new 17mm manual focusing action
*Distance/Scale markings on the lens for all focus modes
*FOCUS PEAKING
*Min/Max ISO controls for auto-ISO with user controllable Min/Max shutter speeds
*Better control layout, especially with regards to AF selection layout
*Better ergonomics - build a thumbs-up style catch into the top case so the hot shoe can be used by a flash without trading off handling
*More film modes in software - where's my ACROS?
*Sub $2500 price

I'm not sure what the point of going full frame would be for Fujifilm at this point. They have the X-Pro 1 and the XE-1 that have both sold really well and you have a new lens mount associated (XF). Then they have a nice lens roadmap and they're struggling to meet that (14mm has been delayed a little to focus on 18-55 that's selling like hotcakes). If they were to develop a full frame sensor for an X100 replacement you'd imagine there would be a full frame X-Pro 1 coming soon and that would mean a new lens mount.

I'm not sure what the X100 replacement would be like, surely an XE1 with an upcoming 27mm pancake would be pretty similar.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

Picked up the Fuji 18-55

Let's see if it'll be on par with the 35

It's not as sharp but it's still a very nice lens.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Ksi posted:

Nevermind. Just upgraded the body and the lens and, from a bunch of pictures in my dim light room it seems to focus faster and more accurately. It seems to hunt less for focus and no "lens noise" reported.

Good to hear, I'm going to upgrade mine tonight. I often think a lot of the whining on camera forums is over exaggerated. Wah why don't fuji update the firmware to give me a little feature, wah my lens is a little noisier.

You've gone out and bought a camera that is capable of producing some amazing shots. Fujifilm continue to develop improvements for it, What re you complaining about?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

krooj posted:

If you're okay with shooting at 50mm eff. having a shop pair the X-E1 with the 35mm 1.4 might be the ticket.

The 35mm 1.4 isn't much smaller than the 18-55. Its not saying its a big lens, neither is the zoom (even compared to something like a Tamron 17-50). If you want more compact i think Fuji is releasing a pancake later this year.

If you're unsure what you're shooting I'd grab the XE1 kit. The 35 is lovely but primes are a bit of an enthusiast approach first up, tho it could teach you some good habits too.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

David Pratt posted:

It certainly feels bigger than the 35 when it's on the camera, it's a fair bit heavier too.

Yeah i know, I own both. As far as carrying them though the biggest concern is the physical size not the weight so much.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

I can only speak as somebody who lusts after one, but reading all of the reviews, it struck me that pretty much every criticism levelled as the camera could be put under the heading of Speed. Be it auto-focus speed, EVF speed, buffer/write speed, or general responsiveness. I'd suggest that the Mk2 doesn't need to address a lack of particular features so much as polish the user-experience.

There's a lot of chatter online of people who have far too mch time on their hands and bitch about every little niggle and blow them completely out of proportion. The focussing was pretty slow on Firmware 1.00, now at 2.03 its pretty good. Similarly the lack of RAW processing with mainstream editors was pretty poor, lightroom 4.4 has pretty much fixed this too.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

So Fuji have released an updated lens roadmap. No new lenses, but does confirm the ETAs.

There was something i read saying focus speed was increasing significantly in the new firmware (maximum 0.7s from min to infinity). I'm also interested in seeing that zeiss 12mm but I cant imagine it'll be cheap.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Yeah the Fuji 18-55 it's a really nice lens, I use it a fair bit. I'm also looking forward to the 55-200 add well, the only unfortunate thing I've noticed with the whole Fuji system is the lack of cheap lenses, everything is $700 or more.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Musket posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-Nikkor-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0042X9LB0

VS

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-XF-35mm-F1-4-Lens/dp/B006UL00R6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368679514&sr=1-1&keywords=fuji+35mm+1.4

VS

http://www.amazon.com/Leica-35mm-1-4-ASPH-Summilux-M/dp/B003MQMY44

VS

http://www.amazon.com/Voigtlander-N...lander+35mm+1.4
:snoop:

poo poo costs money no matter what system. I can say that the 35mm Fuji is well worth the price I paid for my Nikon 35mm. For what Fuji has in their line up, its inexpensive. The only lens that gets some negative talk is the 18mm. That is only because at 18mm on the 18-55mm zoom, IQ is the same and it's a zoom.

Don't get me wrong I do quite love my lenses ( both the 18-55 and the 35). I'd just like there to be a nifty fifty or a cheap pancake to supplement them.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I have a Canon 40D right now, with a 17-50 tamron, 50mm 1.8 and Yongnuo YN-560 II flash. While I would love to become a wedding photographer and everything else, I just don't have the time. My images mostly consist of places/things and a few people here and there. Would one of these new mirrorless cameras do better than the 40D setup I have right now? I don't take it with me too many places, mainly because I just have to carry so much.

Had pretty similar kit to you and switched over to the X-Pro1. Sold all my Canon gear except my 580EXII. I've now the 35 and the 18-55mm lenses.

Can't say miss the 40D at all. I was out at a light show last night and it was great, nice and light, easy to throw in a shoulder bag and forget I had it with me when I wasn't taking shots.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

whatever7 posted:

If I am going to get a newish Canon 650D 700D and a 70-200mm/4 IS. Is there anything comparable in the m43 camp?

Not m43 but Fuji has the new 55-250? That seems quite nice from the reviews out there

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ThisQuietReverie posted:

If you haven't heard yet, the X-Pro 1 and X-E1 will be getting focus peaking and all XF lenses (except the 18-55) are getting new, faster autofocus algorithms on July 23rd.

:torgue:

I love how Fujifilm continues to update the firmware on their cameras rather than just letting them be and releasing a new camera.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

krooj posted:

The more telling point will be whether they continue firmware updates after replacement models have been released.

Agreed. This late in the game, and maybe we won't see an update until Photokina, or maybe January 2014.

Yeah it will be interesting to see what support happens when the xp 2 comes out. I don't quite understand everyone's rush for it though, the xp 1 has been out for what 18 months? 2 years? What's Canon's release cycle like? Where's the 7d mk ii?

The xp 1 does pretty much everything I need, small body, great ISO sensitivity, amazing picture quality and with the constant upgrades in firmware and autofocus it's a camera that I'll have for a long time yet. Sure when a xp2 comes out I'll look at it and maybe grab one but it won't make any of my pictures taken with the 1 any worse, hell this camera is way above my skill already.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

HPL posted:

I regularly shoot at 6400 and 12800 with my NEX 5N. I can't even imagine going back to my 40D that maxed out at 3200 and was pretty marginal at that speed. I hope the ISO wars never end.

Ha I well.remember my 40d, 3200.was quite horrible. Now I have no worries shooting 6400 on my Fuji.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

What's the consensus on the Fuji 14mm? Thinking I need to be a little wider than I can get with the 18-55 and it's either the 14 or wait for the 10-24.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Bob Socko posted:

If I upgraded my second body to an X-Pro1, how does the viewfinder handle zoom lenses? Does it switch to a digital only mode or something? Or maybe just overlay brackets? Am I better off with an X-E1 if I plan on using zooms?

Edit - looked it up to see how it works. In practice, is it that usable/convenient?

For the 18-55 it's actually quite usable and I much prefer shooting with the optical viewfinder in most situations.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

krooj posted:

It'd be nice if X-Trans made the APS-C leap to 24Mp.

You're printing enough of your prints large enough that you need 8 more megapixels?

I'd like to see faster autofocus and better low light but I couldn't justify buying anything till at least an xpro 3.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Digital Jesus posted:

Since we're still on Fujichat (let's face it, this is the Fuji X thread), does anyone have a case they particularly like for their X-E1? I'd kinda like something that can go inside or clip onto a larger bag, as I have a Timbuk2 Sycamore that goes with my everywhere. I was thinking about maybe a Crumpler Haven or something but I'm interested in other peoples thoughts.

I have a crumpler haven for my XPro1, 35mm and 18-55. It's pretty good, when I travel I'll throw it in my Complete Seed, if I'm walking about town it'll go in my Barney Rustle, on my (now stolen) motorbike it fit well in my Kriega (both R35 and US20) though if I'm taking my flash and other gear I'll need my 5 million dollar home.

In case you haven't noticed I own way too much crumpler poo poo, as well as bags in general.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Baron Dirigible posted:

Welp.

I had a hard time choosing between the 35mm and the 18-55 kit. I figure this way I won't be (as) tempted by the 23mm and 56mm primes when they come out, and I can upgrade to the 35mm prime if I really want the faster lens.

God ... god dammit. I keep telling myself I'd rather support my local shop than Harvey Norman, but that's a great price.

I'd just go to a local camera store anyway because Gerry Harvey is a oval office.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Output RAW but shoot in Sepia and use peaking in 5x or 10x on the back LCD to make it easier. Maybe we'll get selectable colors one day.

Selectable colours have been flagged for the next firmware update.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

RustedChrome posted:

Fuji has said their lenses will already cover full frame, with the possible exception of the 14mm in the corners.

Do you have a source for this? The last I heard was that it wouldn't work.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

David Pratt posted:

I can do it fine. It's slightly awkward but totally doable.

I agree, it's a little fiddly but after a while it's easy enough.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I just got a fotodiox Nikon f to fuji x adapter in the mail to use with a bunch of my partner's dad's old lenses. Haven't had too much time to play with it yet but it's my first play with manual focus in donkeys years.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

These are also the people that are literally angry about having video capability on their DSLR for some reason so they're probably just idiots.

Yep, they're probably also the same people who frothed at the mouth over digital slrs vs film, autofocus vs manual, color film, the invention of the automobile, electricity and the discovery off fire. Some people just can't adapt to change very well.

That said, I quite like the implementation of video on my XPro1, it's there if I need it but it doesn't intrude on what is primarily a stills camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Helicity posted:

Thinking of selling my Voigtlander 15mm and rocking both the 18-55 and 35 since they're both so fun to shoot with :snoop:

This is what I currently rock, with a couple of manual focus nikkors for shits and giggles too. Seriously considering selling some other possessions to get the 23 as well.