Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Rontalvos posted:

The Fuji X100 is a special beast of it's very own and I'll let somebody more knowledgeable fill us in on why it's so awesome.

Thatīs me.

Here is my review: http://myx100year.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-x100-review.html
Here is my comparison between the X100 and the 5D with 35mm L: http://myx100year.blogspot.com/2011/04/5d-vs-x100-redux-plus-lightroom-vs.html
And my photo blog for tons of photos with the X100: http://myx100year.blogspot.com/

Short version: DSLR quality (for reals) in a tiny, all-metal package, with manual metal control dials, a real glass viewfinder (that is large) and a fast 35mm equiv lens (that is fixed to it, no changing lenses).

It has an offset viewfinder like a rangefinder, but the focusing is not mechanically coupled. You use contrast based AF that is quite fast. (it's as fast as the canon 50mm 1.8 in good and medium good light). This is it's unique point. No other camera offers a viewfinder this large and bright till you get into the big expensive high end DSLRs like the 1Ds and D3 line (or older film cameras).

The IQ is the best. Nothing touches it in this segment. The Leica x1 comes close for more money, but with no viewfinder and slower AF and costs 800 dollars more. The X100 lens has no chromatic aberrations, no purple fringing, negligable vignetting from offset microlenses. It flares but in a romantic way, with no hood that is.

I wanted a smaller 2nd camera for when the 5D was too much kit, and instead I got a primary camera. I haven't touched my 5D since I got the X100. I don't leave the house without the X100 around my neck, even now that I'm on crutches for 6 weeks.

If you like the 35mm equivalent view, there is no comparison to the other options. You'd literally need to spend at least 3-5x this much to even approach the IQ and lens speed with AF and an optical viewfinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

I just got my X100 today (and found a 4gb micro sd in an old phone, yay! Waiting on my eye-fi pro) and I'm considering getting rid of my 5d2 too since I don't do any paid work right now.

With my 5d2 I was using a Zeiss 35/2, 50 1.8, and 100L. I love my Zeiss 35/2, but I found myself stuck using the 50 1.8 too many times due to needing AF. The Zeiss 35/2 is going to be sold this week to help pay for my x100.

I'm deeply considering downgrading the 5d2 100L to a 50d 85 1.8/85 1.4 and potentially 45/90 ts-e for product shots and food photography.

e: The only downside is how loving slow it is to write to cards/turn on and be ready to shoot. I went from an Xs to 1d2 to 5d2 and it's definitely the slowest expensive camera I've ever used.

It speeds way up with a sandisk extreme pro UHS-I (45mb/s) it's a totally different beast. Also make sure to format it in camera every time you "empty" the card on your computer, don't just delete files off with your pc, use the camera to format it.

Also set it to "fast startup" in the menu, and I personally don't let it fall asleep, I use the on/off switch instead.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Fiannaiocht posted:

Is the X100 currently the only mirrorless camera (except for a leica) that has a viewfinder built in and good high iso?

It's currently the only one with an optical built in finder, but the panasonic G series has built in electric viewfinders. The new g3 looks nice, but none of the 4/3 stuff touches the X100 for high ISO quality.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

What's the real world battery life like for the X100? Have you tried using it with studio lights yet?

No, which is a shame since I'm mister lighting dude, but just been trying hard to do more natural light stuff lately. I want to though, but the X100 is just so relaxed and laid back in how I shoot that lights seem so overkill.

Real world battery life how I use it? 250 shots. I plan to take 1 battery per day on trips, they are tiny, so I'm planning to take 6 for my trip to Mongolia, for instance.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Oh wow that's way less than I imagined. I guess I can't comprehend the tiny factor though.

I use camera's really differently than most people. A "heavy" shoot yesterday and I took 60 images on 2 different cameras (x100 for 35, 5d with 85mm 1.8). It's very rare that I go on a multi day trip, and even when I do, I still don't come back with nearly as many photos as most seem to. Would I like more like 500-700 shots per charge? sure. Do I notice it's battery life? no. I'm only taking multiples with me to Mongolia because i'm not sure what the electricity availability is going to be. With a place to charge each night I'd only ever need 1 battery as I never take more than 250 shots in a day.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

DJExile posted:

I would imagine battery life would really depend on how much use you're putting the screen though as well, live view puts a pretty good drain on mine (E: my E-30, I don't have an x100...... yet) if I'm using it for a good number of shots.

I only use the OVF, minimal chimping and when I do, it's on the EVF not the LCD (which I love, no pulling the camera away from your face to chimp). But the batteries are the size of a box of matches, so it's not like it isn't a cinch to just keep one in your pocket.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

It sucks right now because I can't find anywhere to buy batteries :(

but NP-95 are old and used in multiple cameras, it should be super simple to find them in any radioshack, best buy, amazon, etc?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pockyless posted:

I just got an X100 and it's a pretty brilliant little camera. It's just so fun to shoot with and the image quality is fantastic. The only problem really is very close subjects, but 35mm just isn't the focal length for that anyways. I'm extremely impressed and very happy.

I just got my 3rd large print from the X100 and the print quality is just so fantastic. All 3 were also of scenes I would not have had a dslr with me to capture.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I am semi interested in a Nex as a 2nd camera for my compressed lens, to supplement the x100 as my wide. I like the 75-100mm length a lot. With the new firmware enabling peaking, I am even more interested. The main thing is that I don't know which lenses to look for. Does anyone know a very very very small pancake prime that gives you the lens equivalent of 75-100mm (or even higher) that has an f/2 aperture or faster?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pockyless posted:

~250 shots. It's not very good but the batteries are small and you can buy some extras for cheap.

Yep, you can get 3rd party batteries for 8 dollars each. 250 is my experience as well.

Yay for new firmware tomorrow (most likely). Looking forward to auto-iso being put on the ISO menu, and offset AF window in OVF.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

HPL posted:

How is the panorama mode on the X100? I can live without a telephoto, but it would suck not to have wide and ultra-wide options.

I've done a few I like, but it's kind of a crapshoot as to whether you get banding or not.

This one worked perfectly for example:

DSCF2053.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

It's aimed solely at the japanese market. This is not for us.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Can't select auto-iso in the iso menu alas. At least you can shoot iso 6400 in raw mode now.

You could always do that, it just wasn't available in auto-iso as the top ceiling (is it even now? I'm at work and can't upgrade till tonight).

It's 100 and 12,800 that aren't available in raw, but since everything over ISO 1,000 is made from ISO 1,000, it doesn't matter. Shoot at 3200 and bump 1 or 2 in post for exactly the same as shooting that in jpeg.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Was on my iPad before, there's a 60mm f/1.5 and a 70mm f/2.

Looked them up, and both seem a bit larger than I wanted.

For the X100 owners, there is a faster way into auto-ISO on/off with the newest firmware. Press and hold the Fn button for 3 seconds, and it will pull up the ND assignment menu. Don't change it, just press left, and down, and now you are on auto-ISO menu. Not as nice as putting it in the ISO menu, but at least this is much faster than the 26 presses it took to get down to auto-ISO

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pockyless posted:

I only want two things:

1. Put auto ISO in the iso menu.
2. If the Fn button is set to the ND filter, just toggle it on an off like the flash in the OVF.

Andy Westlake (dpreview) has suggested it might not be possible to put auto-ISO on the list, as currently the selected ISO value acts as the ISO minimum in auto-ISO.

So you can turn auto-ISO on and off in the auto-ISO menu, as well as set the iso maximum value, however currently you set ISO minimum in the normal ISO menu.

I think they could just solve this by adding ISO minimum to the auto-ISO list, then adding auto-ISO to the ISO menu.

What would be even cooler, is to send the Fn button to ISO, and holding it down for 2 seconds toggles you in and out of auto-ISO, but tapping it brings up the ISO menu.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

You can half press the shutter to use as a set button, if it's more convenient (I find it more convenient for some things)

You can also just mash the center button, not caring if you get the ring as well. My nub fell off, and now I just use it like this.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

keyframe posted:

I have no idea but its there. Its focusing 7d like when i do it that way.

I will continue my quest for a x100 lens hood today. I saw them selling for 400$ on amazon, it is crazy.

There are 50 dollar knockoffs on ebay.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Xandu posted:

The X100 looks perfect for what I want, but I've read a lot of complaints about focusing speed and that it locks up for a few seconds between shots. Is it enough of an issue to be problematic? I'd be mostly doing street photography.

It does not "lock up" between shots. It locks *out* a few functions while the buffer clears, but shooting another shot is not one of them. All mechanical controls can be altered (shutter speed, aperture, exp comp) but menu diving isn't possible till buffer is cleared. Either buy a fast SD card (the 45mb/s) or shoot jpeg, if it's super important, but I shoot raw only with the 45mb/s card and never feel the camera isn't ready again immediately.

Autofocus is slow only in really low light (think bars). In regular light it's plenty snappy for my tastes.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Beautiful. Please show us some example images from it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I just want to say that I still love my X100 so much. I never ever ever leave the house without it, and I'm constanting taking snaps that end up pleasing me a lot when I get home. Unlike when I borrowed a friend's S90 (which also enabled whenever-snaps) the files have a ton of quality to massage or manipulate in post. I love looking at the prints from it too.

I saw recently that hoodman made 2 wide angle converters specifically for the X100. Not sure the image degredation, but hoodman tends to make good products. I want someone to make a 2x or 3x or 2.2x converter so bad, then I'll never buy another camera.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Gryi posted:

Could someone post a picture hand holding their x100? I can't get a good feel for the size. Cutting a piece of paper equal to the specced dimensions just doesn't work for me to understand the size.

Can you pocket it? I love my s95... I refuse to look like I'm carrying a camera with me on a shoulder strap while walking around.

Keep in mind, I'm 6'3"

Without the leather case, I could fit it into a cargo pants pocket, or a large jacket pocket. Pants pocket, no. It's light enough though that I just wear it slung over my neck and one arm like a bandoleer all day every day and it never tires me out.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-22FHPjVJ9yA/TaH6gxgBmiI/AAAAAAAAAUs/kJQLRrSl6X0/s1600/me_mirror.jpg

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

An actual replacement for the X100 will be a long time coming. All the rumors point to either another lens focal length (like a 24 or 28mm version) or an interchangeable lens version that could come with other problems (for example if they use an m4/3 sensor it will give up all the amazing IQ the X100 has).

If you are in the market for what the X100 is, you should buy now, I don't think it will be refreshed for at least 2 years.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

krackmonkey posted:

x100 peeps - has the romance worn off, or do you see this being a lasting relationship? I'm looking at pulling the trigger in a couple of weeks and I'm torn between the terrible lust I have for the x100 and the alternate temptation of grabbing an E-P3 and the new Leica 25mm/1.4 lens instead.

If you were going into the camera shop next month with a fistfull of cash, and you hadn't already bought your x100, would you still make the same purchase, knowing what you know now and having spent this time with yours?

I think I've had mine the longest, 4 months now. The romance has not worn off. I mean I don't think of it as an awesome new gadget anymore, but I still carry it every day and love taking photos with it. I foresee it lasting a long time as my carry everywhere camera.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I don't have an x100 but I have an EP-1 which I bought in September 2009 and I am "still in love" with it. Even two years on it's my main camera instead of my dslrs, it sits in my bag every single day with the pancake and I throw a few other lenses in on weekends.

The x100 is great but people are spooging on a bit too much about it as if it's the only option in my opinion, you will in no way be disappointed if you instead choose m4/3.

If you want dslr image quality and a viewfinder, it is the only option. M4/3 is a great step up from P&S cameras, but the small sensor just doesn't deliver the goods, especially in low light, or high dynamic range settings. And that ignores the OVF which is an experience all by itself. NEX bodies have a great sensor, but no viewfinder.

I can edit X100 files right next to 5D files with the 85mm 1.8. That is saying something. There is no M4/3 offering yet that will withstand post processing with a full frame camera and not be immediately noticeable.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 20, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

The difference in IQ may be technically huge, but it's still negligible for many people in practice. I edit my raws just fine and have made nice large prints.

My argument was simply that I have been very happy with my (now ancient in technological terms) camera and that the poster would also be if he bought further into that system.

I don't want to get into the pixel peeping garbage where you "prove" how inferior my camera system is compared to your choice, especially when my choice gives me more than enough image quality for my purposes.

Enjoy your x100, it's an amazing camera, but I think this thread is doing a disservice by telling people it's the only valid option.

There is a reason people are "spooging" about it, and it's because of actual quality in design, and image quality, it's not being overstated cause it's new or has a retro design. The M4/3 are nice cameras, but people have made good large prints from small sensor point and shoots too. There is something the X100 brings to this niche that none of the others do.

I won't post anything about pixel peeping, I don't do that myself, but you don't need to pixel peep to see the difference. If you need interchangeable lenses, m4/3 or Nex is a good choice, but if you don't (need different focal lengths) there isn't a contest. No one is disparaging the m4/3, they are nice cameras, some great lenses, but the guy was asking about the x100 and if people still liked it. Seems the answer (among those who actually own one) is a resounding yes.

DoLittle posted:

Sony NEX image quality is comparable to most DSLRs on the market today. The sensors used in NEX cameras(or closely related) are also used in Nikon D3100 and D7000, which are very competitive imgage quality wise amongst current APS-C DSLRs.

The Sony nex does have a great sensor, and it does come extremely close to the X100 in image quality, but the lenses are huge compared to X100 and M4/3, and the only ones with autofocus are f/2.8, making you need a stop higher in ISO for the same exposure, taking the similarities further apart. When they release the 24mm f2, if it's not humongous, the Nex will compare more favorably, but even then, there is no optical viewfinder.

I think people are missing the importance of the OVF for some people. Someone coming from only point and shoots using the screen to compose, or entry level dslr bodies with tiny dim viewfinders might not get it, but the X100 has a viewfinder of equal size and brightness to a full frame camera. If an optical viewfinder is important for your photographic experience, the x100 delivers, and nothing else does without caring a lunchbox sized lead boat anchor.

the spooge is justified.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 19, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

...I think we're agreeing then?

Of course the x100 is an amazing camera that it's worth being excited about but it's not the ONLY valid choice out there, which a bunch of the early adopters here have been claiming is the case.

You said yourself m4/3 or NEX are a better choice in certain circumstances.

I guess I just wish people would keep that in mind rather than advise everyone in this thread (and others, it comes up very often in the general thread for example) that they should not consider anything other than the x100.

Especially if someone is already invested in a lens system like (m)4/3, it seems kinda crazy to me to say the x100 is the only correct choice.

I haven't seen anyone proclaim the x100 as the only correct choice, maybe you could quote the posts that have done that? I've seen numerous posts suggesting that a person consider the x100, but even the most ardent X100-vangelists (me) understand that no interchangeable lens means it's not for everyone.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

That's because I forgot about the sony Nex cameras, all the previous posts were about m4/3. If you're willing to go without a viewfinder, the NEX bodies also offer up incredible IQ.

Edited to fix. because I was wrong

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 20, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

krackmonkey posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-FDASV1-Optical-Viewfinder-Black/dp/B003UU3KFO

There's definitely an OVF available for current NEX models. No EVF until the NEX7 drops and brings its' own hybrid sexiness to the debate.

Yes, but... the add on hot-shoe OVFs for the Leica X1 (another good sensor small camera I forgot about, probably because it costs 2k) NEX, and others, not only make the camera less small and more bulky/awkward, but none of them have any kind of information displayed in them. Having to take your eye away everytime you want to check aperture, or shutter speed or confirm AF is annoying.

not to mention on the X100, after you take a photo, the EVF engages for 1.5 seconds to show you the image you just took, removing the need to chimp

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Evilkiksass posted:

Isn't this still effectively chimping? Also, why are you spoilering stuff? It just looks like the FREEDOM loving CIA got their hands on your post or something.

I just like using the spoiler tags, they're fun.

Yeah, it is still sort of chimping, but it takes less time. You don't take the camera away from your eye. The term I'm assuming refers to the photographer looking like an enamored chimpanzee goggling at this wonder-tech after every shot, disappearing from taking photos. If you don't take the camera away from your eye, seems less likely to fit the original intent of the word.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Hey PIMM, get ready to deal with it :smugdog:

NEX-7 to have X100-style viewfinder

If it really is 24mp, it would be so tempting. A built in EVF is great, but I do find myself using the OVF 80% or more. I will be watching the Nex7 closely. :-D

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

HPL posted:

Don't overlook a Rebel.

Other than that, the X100 is the major option if you want to cash in, size-wise.

Not only is the X100 significantly smaller than a rebel, like ludicrously so, but the viewfinder on the X100 is 5x nicer than the Rebels. It's literally as large and bright as the 5D viewfinder, instead of the dim tunnel you get on the rebel. (I know you were saying rebel as compared to the mirrorless interchangeable cameras though)

Yeah you can't change lenses, but you are essentially getting a 5D with 35mmL in performance and image quality and viewfinder size and build quality, but in a diminutive package.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

mattfl posted:

I spent all day yesterday researching cameras. Ugh so much info. My final decision, at least for this minute, is to get the x100. Seems they hold their value really well and if it's not for me I can easily unload it.

Now to unload my canon gear!

Why does holding their value matter? I'm using a 5D original, I'm the 3rd owner, and it's what, 8 years old now? I plan to use it till it falls apart in my hands, and I feel the same with the x100. Get a good camera (the x100 is good) and use it. Whenever you get upgrade-itis, buy a bunch of prints, or go on a photo trip instead.

One of the upsides of non-interchangeable lenses, is there is nothing else to buy. You get the X100, and then go focus on being a photographer, rather than what new lens or doohicky you should buy. Use it for 5-10 years, then upgrade. The quality of the prints the X100 makes isn't ever going to go down, and the prints look amazing.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

mattfl posted:

I don't expect it to take me that long to figure out if it's for me or not. Like, a week or 2 so, not too worried about the x200 which isn't even rumored yet to come out and drop the price. The X10 was just announced and I don't expect it to affect the X100's price at all.

Why not buy it from Amazon or a place with a return policy then? But also, keep in mind that it is a very different camera than a DSLR. If you just pick it up without reading the manual or understanding how the focus system works, you might get frustrated with it. But learn how the parallax works, and when to switch to the EVF mode, plus decouple the AF to the back button rather than the shutter half press, and then give it some time shooting a lot for several days in a row and it's a really great experience.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Fuji has made their announcement for the X10 so I'm guessing the X100 will be their flagship for a while.

PIMM's right about the fixed length. I find it more freeing than restrictive. If I were strictly an opportunistic photo taker, the X100 would fit the bill for a long time. I try real hard not to be so I still need a 7D and lens system for a backup.

That's where it fits beautifully though (assuming you have the spare cash) as your second camera. I still have a 5d + 35/50/85mm lenses, and I use them for paying gigs, or when I go on a trip where I know it's "photographer mode time". But for every day when I bicycle to work, go to the gym, walk down to the grocery store, having the 5D over my shoulder, even with the 50mm 1.8 would be such a drag. The X100 you can just wear and forget, and still get the image quality of your 7d/5d/d3/dslr. You're not sacrificing anything at all (besides lens changing) from your main camera like you are with an s90, or m4/3. You have literally the same quality (or if you don't have an L lens and full frame camera even better than) in a smaller package.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Zurich posted:

Is it worth upgrading from a GF1 + 20mm to an X100? I haven't played with an X100 in person (mainly because I have no impulse control); is it a huge step up in quality?

I'm really not happy with the direction Panasonic are taking the GF series - thought the GF2 was just a temporary blip but the GF3 is awful - everything the GF1 is not :(

I don't think it's going to be huge. You'll get 2-3 stops of ISO improvement, lots more dynamic range, but if I remember correctly, the GF1 + 20mm actually records a few more lines per inch (meaning it's sharper) than the X100, though I doubt the 20mm is as free of vignetting and CA as the X100, since it basically has none whatsoever.

The larger upgrade is the viewfinder. Whatever importance that plays in your mind should make the main part of your decision. If you don't care so much about arms length composing, it's just a reasonable sensor upgrade in dynamic range and noise, but if you care a lot about clear optical viewfinders, then it's a pretty huge leap forward.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

HPL posted:

Does anyone here have a Samsung NX100 that can offer any insight on it? They're going cheap nowadays with the kit lens and I think getting a 30mm f/2 lens to go with it would make it pretty good for an everyday carry camera. The most pressing issue for me would be high iso performance at 1600 and 3200 since I tend to use cameras in poorly-lit places a lot and there's no built-in flash.

It seems pretty nice and a reasonable performer, but I heard it's kind of heavy. The nx200 looks much nicer imo, but obviously won't be going for cheap.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

daspope posted:

I am really considering the x100 but want some video capabilities. Can the x100 shoot good video without running out of battery in a few minutes?

I don't shoot much, but the times I have it's worked just fine, and 720p is really awesome for basic youtube videos or facebook sharing. I'm sure you get at least 3-5x the 10 minute max length videos.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Utterly unimpressed, but I was aware as the rumors were really consistent about it being a 2.6 or 2.7 crop.

Dpreview has suggested the huge sensor disparity is to keep from stealing sales from their dslr lineup and lenses. That sort of makes sense, but why introduce a new product if it isn't good enough to tempt customers? I'd rather go with a m4/3, or a true point/shoot than this expensive middle ground.

I predict canon will do something similar. They sell so many rebels, just a ludicrous amount. If they were to put a decent aps-c crop sensor in a small body, it would definitely dilute the sales.

I think the good, large sensored mirrorless cameras will be the realm of Fuji, Samsung, and Sony, then there will be the m4/3 crowd, and canon/pentax/nikon in this silly ultra cropped sensor area.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah the Nex and X100's make sense, the Pentax Q and Nikon don't. I'll pay the same price as a dslr for the same IQ in a smaller package, but not for this tiny sensor stuff. M4/3 didn't even tempt me, this 2.7 crop stuff deffo won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

HPL posted:

DPReview has Nikon J1 photo samples up. The ISO 3200 low light photos look surprisingly good, but we'll see what happens when they do raw noise tests, which are usually a more true test of how much is the sensor talking and how much is the in-camera post-processing.

What I do like is that the telephoto lens is quite small compared to its APS-C or even m4/3 equivalent.

Not really. Someone did a measurement lineup of the tamron 24-270 (it's direct counterpart) and the Tamron is both faster aperture and almost the same size/weight. Plus, what is up with an f/2.8 pancake? Even the Pentax Q has a 1.9. At least the Nex has the excuse of having a large sensor, even though I thought their 2.8 pancake was stupid as well.

*edit* here:

Hmm.

APS-C format:
Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3
Length: 90mm
Filter diameter: 62mm
Weight: 450g
35mm-equivalent max magnification ratio: 0.39x

Nikon CX format:
Nikkor 10-100mm F/4.5-5.6
Length: 95mm
Filter diameter: 72mm