Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

keyframe posted:

detailed specs for the fuji xpro 1 is revealed:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/01/09/detailed-fuji-x-pro-1-specs/

Big boner here.

If it looks as good after Fuji makes the announcement and the price actually lands where it is rumored, I am pulling the trigger on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Big boner here.

If it looks as good after Fuji makes the announcement and the price actually lands where it is rumored, I am pulling the trigger on it.

Boner dissipating at the expected 1700USD price for body only.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

1700 is absolutely in line with the market's offerings plus inflation and dollar devaluation. Seriously everyone said 1300 was too expensive for the X100 but enough people bought it anyway.

I mean, sure I'd love a 1,500 kit with the 50mm equiv, but this is basically a Leica M9 at 1/7 the cost.

Oh, I am not disagreeing it seems like a reasonable price, but must admit I was quite excited at the prospect of body+lens at 1300 bucks or so.

Not sure I would jump on an M9 comparison quite yet, but the camera does look very promising.

On another note, Ricoh is rumored to be putting out a new M-module for the GXR based on the NEX-5N sensor, with no AA filter. Considering how well their 12MP one performs it could be pretty spectacular.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 10, 2012

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

moonduck posted:

The X-Pro1 is being listed for pre-order in the UK for 1,079 pounds, but that's with the 35 1.4. The direct translation is 1300 euros or $1700. That's a lot more tolerable. Maybe we'll see the body for as cheap as $1200.

Who in the UK has it for preorder?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Thanks, threw in a preorder, can always cancel at a later time. If it actually ships for 1079GBP I am all over it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

$1400 for the kit is a price point where I might dig in once some hands on reviews mention how the AF deals. I saw mentioned somewhere that it was "comparable to the x100" but there was no source.

It appears the whole internet "knows" how horrible the AF on the X100 is, yet the actual owners seem to have little trouble with it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

keyframe posted:

That is because we are busy complaining about the useless manual focus. :v:

The AF on the x100 is nothing to write home about but it is usable, except when it hunted focus for a straight minute. It is comparable to the 50 1.8 canon lens. Also the #1 complaint on all fuji forums is AF speed so I am not sure where you are getting the "owners have little trouble with it".

Well, I only talked to some X100 owners to get their take on it. Generally the camera forums are full of noise and make every little issue sound like it's some enormous, horrible flaw that makes the camera unusable, so I will admit to not paying too much attention there. :)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ghumbs posted:

USA preorder is dead now. Looks like I got mine in just in time, though I have a feeling the price won't be honored. Fuji announced a body only price of 1700, so 1385 for body plus 35mm is probably a mistake. In fact, change the 1 to a 2 and you have 2384.99, which is more likely the actual price of that particular kit.

Well, they didn't actually announce a price at all, did they? Seems like they just guessed at 1700 based on current estimates, TBD end of the month.

The first price mentioned by one of the "leaks" was 1300 EUR with lens, which is right around 1072GBP, and would probably end up around 1300USD (since you guys have no VAT to worry about). So it is possible some retailers just ran with that and figured they would just offer you the camera at whatever price it actually ends up at later. Time will tell.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

RustedChrome posted:

I couldn't care less about autofocus speed. I've owned a Sigma camera so the X100 seems fine to me. :)

Hell, my 4x5 could be focused faster than my DP2 (which died, may it burn in hell).

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

According to Fujifilm France, 1590 EUR for the X-Pro 1 body... getting a little bit too high for me.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Yeah, doubt it will be as wonderful as a classic OM2 though.

But I would be interested in a retro styled model with a good sensor, fast and responsive EVF, and some manual focus aids ala Ricoh or Sony.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Surprised to see this thread so quiet with all the OM-D buzz going on.

Looks like it will be a pretty interesting little camera. Weather sealing is a big bonus (though I wish more lenses than the 12-50 would have it!), integrated EVF is something I much prefer to bolt-on, and it sounds like they are spiffing up the sensor a bit. Could make for quite the capable compact setup for when you don't want to drag the big guns around.

43rumors posted:

I am pretty confident that those will be the specs (expect minor changes only):
- Camera has a classic OM design
- It has a magnesium body
- It is weathers sealed
- weight 373 g (body only).
- 16 megapixel sensor optimized for High Dynamic Range
- 200 up to 25.600 ISO
- Built-in electronic viewfinder 1.44 million dots (positioned in the center of the body like the old OM optical viewfinders and same resolution as the external VF-2 viewfinder (Click here to see on Amazon).
- 610.000 pixel OLED tilting 3 inch screen.
- Five-axis image stabilizer in body.
- FAST AF and 3D tracking
- Comes in Black or Silver.
- Price: Around $1.100 in USA or 1.000 Euro in Europe.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

The lever on the R-D1 is not a "rewind lever", it is there to cock the shutter like on a film body (minus actually advancing film). The body of the camera is based on the same Cosina chassis as e.g. the Nikon FM10 so it is not surprising to see it done this way.

So it is not just for show.

On a different note, they are practically giving away GF1 kits here lately, lots of camera for the money. Should the new Olympus disappoint I might pick one up to play with m4/3.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Holy cow, has Pentax been hitting the crackpipe hard on this one...

Let's take a DSLR, take AWAY the viewfinder and take AWAY the phase detect autofocus (which they were finally getting the hang on, for fucks sake), and add, uh, nothing. Let it be as big as a DSLR too. And make a hump that looks like a viewfinder except isn't.

And paint it yellow.

(Really, if they took a DSLR and hit the Liveview button, what's different? Nothing, except the DSLR can be made to not suck.)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

HPL posted:

Very clever. In one fell swoop, Olympus created a camera that fills a need for a premium product and merges their pro line (regular Four Thirds) and consumer line.

How does it merge the pro line?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

HPL posted:

This is a hybrid of the E-line and the Pen line. It's Olympus' way of saying to their E-5 fans: "We're getting out of the full-size Four Thirds thing. Get used to it."

There is nothing hybrid about it unless it solves the problem of making the 4/3 lenses autofocus decently while using CDAF. At this point the 4/3 lenses are practically useless on anything other than their SLR bodies, so unless they have something up their sleeves the OM-D is not going to be the magic bullet.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

keyframe posted:

What are those red and green buttons? :pcgaming:

Red is video (like on many cameras now), green is the Pentax "green button" which is a pretty clever invention for using legacy lenses.

Out of all the things wrong with the K-01, I think this might be the least of them.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

spankmeister posted:

What does it do?

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html

I placed my E-M5 order today, first in line. Supposed to ship April. 11990 SEK with the 12-50.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

And Pentax could stuff the guts from a K-5 into an ME body and oh wait. :smith:

Instead they stuffed it into a Duplo brick and forgot the viewfinder.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Miso Beno posted:

Am I wrong for wanting to own a GF1 or GF2? I already own a GH1 and GH2 and I can't think of a single good reason why I should own one of those smaller cameras other than "yay pretty :neckbeard:"

The GF2 I am not sold on, but the GF1 is really nice and so cheap it is a crime not to buy one.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Was this posted already? Olympus demonstrating the weather sealing of the E-M5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhO9YDI8cHk

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Saw the E-M5 samples posted on Focus Numerique, and I have to say they look VERY good. Some guys downloaded the raw files and ran them through some analysis, concluding that the sensor appears to beat out the GX1 as well as GH2.

April needs to arrive soon!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Someone processed a raw sample from the OM-D and posted the full res output here:
http://datenkeule.de/dl.php?file=file1329348705olympus-om-d-e-m5-preserie-exemple9.jpg

Not bad, not bad.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

moonduck posted:

I don't think that's what he meant. I don't think people with an M9 or a big selection of M-mount glass will look at the Fuji as a great option (honestly, the NEX-7 and Ricoh's offerings are still better),

While I agree the Ricoh M-mount module is quite nice, the NEX-7 has been shown to have issues with wide angle rangefinder lenses. The NEX-5N does better in this regard.

As for calling the XP1 a rangefinder. No. A rangefinder camera is a camera with--you know it--a rangefinder, and another camera is not a rangefinder just based on similar looks.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

spankmeister posted:

So with all the new camera's coming out, is the NEX 5N still the "best" choice in the sub-$1000 category?

Because I was looking at either the 5N or the E-PL3 and as I understand it the Sony has better IQ. I still really really like the Oly so I haven't decided yet.

Oh well, I have until September to decide. :v:

I would say that the NEX-5N has better IQ especially at higher ISO. However, a camera is merely part of a system and once you look at available lenses then the E-PL3 (and other m4/3 cameras) starts looking more interesting as an option.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

whatever7 posted:

I will just go ahead and casually keep referring to the XPro1 as a digital Rangefinder, I am not going to use a new made up word to descript Fuji's new focus mechanism.

Then you can expect to have people constantly correcting you, since you are using the term incorrectly. Rangefinder is not just some arbitrary word used to describe a camera, it refers to a focusing mechanism.

Do you also call the Panasonic G3 an SLR?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

HPL posted:

It's beige. :(

I bet if you shot with a rangefinder your WB wouldn't be so off.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Costello Jello posted:

You should get the Panasonic 14 mm between the two, because the Olympus 17 mm is too redundant in focal length to the superior Panasonic 20 mm f/1.7.

Is 12 too wide? The Olympus 12/2 has been getting some very good reviews.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Costello Jello posted:

There's no right answer to that, it's all personal preference. It really depends on what you want from the lens, and what your other lenses are. If you want an all purpose prime you can just slap on your camera and forget about it, then yes, it's too wide. That's a fantastic focal length for landscapes of course, but if you take pictures of people or indoors, it can sometimes look pretty goofy, especially on the outer portions of the frame. There's just enough difference that you don't really notice that on a 28 mm lens.

But on the other hand, if you already had the Panasonic 20 mm prime, then you've already got a great all-purpose prime that is good for people shots, and non-wide landscapes and buildings. So a wide 24 mm prime would be a good compliment to that, especially if you were okay with carrying both lenses with you.

I meant for this particular guy, not in general, but that was still a good post. :)

FWIW, having "grown up" in the film days, I still think 28 is fairly wide, 24 almost-extreme and anything past that is just wild stuff. So I am always amazed when people keep talking about using 18 or 21mm as their primary landscape tool. I just can't compose properly with those focal lengths (I own a 14mm I use on FF but that is for very special purposes only) and get too much "stuff" in the shot for me to feel comfortable with.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 20, 2012

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

keyframe posted:

Aside from the lovely iso performance are there any shortcomings when it comes to image quality or anything else with the m4/3 sensors? I have never shot with one so I have no idea.

Go take a look at the dpreview comparisons of say the GX1 or G3 compared to say the Canon 60D. "lovely ISO performance" is not what I would call that. I downloaded GX1 files and printed decent 8x10s with minor tweaks, from ISO 6400...

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

whatever7 posted:

Canon actual has said in an interview they are going to release their mirrorless camera this year.

N7 is still the best body to shoot MF lenses.

Unless you are shooting Leica glass in which case you are better off with a GXR with A12 M-mount module. Or the NEX-5, which handles wideangle rangefinder lenses better than the 7.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

My opinion is that the NEX-7 is a fantastic camera, while the NEX system is lacking. I wish they would come out with some solid primes to match the m4/3 lineup, but until that happens we are left with a set of blah zooms, one fast, excellent but expensive prime, and a few not particularly thrilling and generally slower primes.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mightaswell posted:

You mean the innovation of phase detect autofocus without a mirror of any sort? How about 1200fps shooting in video and 60fps stills? The V1 and J1 are fantastic cameras for what they are, and I would be thrilled if Canon even matches that. The future is mirrorless, without a doubt.

Well, the Casio FH100 had 1000fps low res shooting and 40fps high res shooting years ago.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

It's just God punishing you for putting cameras in bags.

Looks like a month or so until E-M5 arrival. The DPreview samples look excellent (holds its own against the NEX-5N which I regard as one of the best APS sensors on the market today). 12-50 looks to be "decent enough" but not more, but has the weathersealing which makes it a really solid little sealed package.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

"By March 31st" here in Japan.

I am super excited, I am getting body only as I have a fair collection of 4/3 and m4/3 lenses already, but now I'm starting to really feel the pull of maybe the 45 1.8 or the 25 1.4.

I already have 4/3 gear in fairly equivalent focal lengths but those lenses are both really compact and I want to buy shiny new things.

Got an estimated date of April 3rd now (Sweden), will see if it holds up.

The 45 is definitely a go, the 25 looks lovely but is not cheap.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Got word today that the E-M5 should show up in about two weeks here in Sweden. Very excited about this camera; the image quality seems pretty stunning for a 4/3 sensor (I thought the GX1 was quite impressive and this one bests it), and with the 12-50 you have a hell of a useful travel/hiking camera with weathersealing.

Also, while I was initially anti-EVF I have shot a bunch in Liveview with the 7D lately and I am starting to see the charm in the WYSIWYG approach, where you can apply effects and exposure adjustments and really see the final image right when you push the shutter. I can see this being especially nice when shooting monochrome.

Yes, I know, welcome to five years ago. But I still think it's cool.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

HPL posted:

Comparing the D4 to the 5N is pretty lollerific.

Or:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#190,153

The Q is _really_ small. Too bad the sensor is weenie.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

You guys see the TechRadar review of the E-M5?

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/olympus-om-d-1075717/review/page:5#articleContent

Something seems fishy here, I don't doubt that the sensor is quite a bit better than the E-P3 but this is a little over the top. Wonder what raw converter they used.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

keyframe posted:

So OMD is kicking the rear end of all other mirrorless cameras including fuji x1 pro in dynamic range:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/04/23/om-d-e-m5-greater-dynamic-range-than-the-x-pro-1-plus-1st-quick-snaps/

That DR test from techradar is pretty suspect. The NEX-7 measurements do not at all agree with the ones from DxO though they supposedly use the same hardware and software. But yeah, the E-M5 looks exceptional for a m4/3 cam.

On a side note, I lost my mind and canceled the E-M5 order and bought an X100 instead. Realized I have two SLRs and a ton of lenses and was already looking at three expensive primes for the E-M5 when the whole idea was to pick up something smaller and more likely to be with me at all times than my current cameras. A body with 12-50, then a set of primes, and I have what I was trying to avoid in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I don't see why you wouldn't just wait for the OM-D then get a pancake on it? Then you've got a camera just like the X100 when you leave the other lenses at home, but much more versatile when you have room in your bag for lenses.

Sure, but what I shoot "seriously" is mainly wildlife and landscapes with the occasional outing to some motorsports and stuff, and I have a rather complete Canon EF mount setup for that (7D, 500/4L, 1Ds II, Zeiss ZE etc), so wanted something nice and light to be my little buddy when I wasn't carrying gear for a specific purpose. So I really didn't need another system with several lenses (nor do I want to replicate what I already have except in a smaller format), and without several lenses I would end up with all the cons of the 4/3 format and really none of the advantages. I got a bit carried away with the E-M5 since it looks pretty awesome and it wasn't until I started looking a little more closely at what exactly I needed that I started thinking that sexy as it is it may not be the best fit. If I could replace my Canon gear with m4/3 then it would be a different story, but I don't think that is quite doable.

That, and after having shot some with EVF cameras recently I started to feel that it wasn't really what I wanted, even the G3 and NEX ones felt inferior to what I was used to from the SLRs.

Have just done some light testing with the X100 so far but man, once setup the way I wanted it, it was not far removed from shooting with my M3. Turned off everything I didn't want, using the OVF (with DOF line and histogram), no image review, JPEG in Astia mode. ND filter on/off on RAW button, ISO on Fn button. Just shoot through that great finder and see what I end up with when I get home. I like.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 25, 2012