Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking about buying something that I can use with my manual focus lenses. I have a bunch of konica ar lenses that I'm using with my analog camera but I'd like to be able to use them with digital as well.
As I understand it focus peaking helps a lot with manual lenses and currently only sony has it. I'm a bit unsure though about not having a viewfinder so I guess I have to go at least up to a nex-6 in that case.

So I guess what I'm asking is: For use with manual konica ar lenses while having a viewfinder a nex-6 is a good choice, confirm/deny? Or is there anything else I should consider instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I was looking at the nex-line a while ago to use with my MF-lenses but never actually got around to buy one since I was too busy buying old analog gear. But now my wife is asking for a camera that is smaller then a DSLR but better than her P&S at taking portraits so I have once more started looking at mirrorless cameras. What I'm looking for is something I can use my konica ar lenses with when I don't want to shoot film and that my wife can take nice portraits with and that doesn't look too much like a DSLR (she will go back home to Morocco for a few months and claims that she would get robbed within minutes if she walks around with something that looks like a "real" camera).

So would something out of the nex-line ( eg. newest nex-5 model) still be a good choice, or is the nex-line too long in the tooth now? And is focuspeaking ubiquitous now or is it still something that's not available on all brands/models, it doesn't seem to be available on Canons EOS M for instance (unless you install magic lantern etc)?

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm aware of the problem of glare on the screen. I was initially looking at the nex-6 for the EVF but then it's a different price as well and I'm not sure I want to pay that much just for me playing around with my MF-stuff and my wife snapping portraits of her friends...

I'm in Sweden and prices for used nex-5 here are weird, they are not necessarily that much cheaper then buying new using sony cashback but I guess I could wait until a few weeks more and see if something pops up. I'm not looking into buying deep into their lens system. The kit zoom and a fast portrait lens would be enough for my wife and I have my MF-lenses.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

whatever7 posted:

Whats your budget and whats your MF lens? Does your camera need to look like poo poo in Moroco?

Haven't decided the budget, but preferably cheap in photography bux. And it doesn't have to look like poo poo, just like a poo poo camera. My wife's words on it was (paraphrasing here) "it's ok for you as a big touristy swede to walk around with a big, expensive looking, camera since they would think twice about touching you. But I'm a small girl so me they would steal it from me if it looks like anything else than a P&S."

Mr. Despair posted:

Isn't this what poo poo like insurance is for?

Well if I buy used then it would fall under my home-insurance, which is cheap as poo poo but also has a high deductible so I'd rather try to avoid that.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

whatever7 posted:

The reason I asked you what MF lens do you have is that a camera with EVF will make MF lens shooting more enjoyable. If you MF collection is anywhere decent (say worth more than 300 dollar in total) you should spend the extra money to get EVF. N6 has better MF aid than the XE1 but the EVF is slightly worse. I think both are cheaper than you think and either one is worth the money.

As far as cheap looking camera, just use mask tape to make it look like poo poo. Also a Hello Kitty sticker helps.

I have a whole bunch of MF-lenses, both konica ar and pentax k. But I mainly shoot analog right now and a nex or similar would mostly just be for lazyness/playing around with so spending the money for a EVF doesn't feel necessary.

Startyde posted:

Is she really going to be bringing your legacy lenses with her? If not just get an epl# with the kit lens for cheap and the mirrorless you actually want later. Or gf#. They're both stupid cheap now.

No she will most likely just use the kit zoom and the 50 mm from sony or similar, no MF for her. But yeah I think you are right, a 4/3 for her and then I can get whatever I want later.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Camera advice requested.

I have been mostly using old analogue gear during the last few years and the only digital camera I have is an old canon 400D. We have a one year old toddler and getting useful photos of him using vintage gear or mobile phones is just getting too much of a pain, so the wife has been encouraging me lately about acquiring something a bit more suitable. So the usage would be portraits and action photos of our toddler, both outdoors and indoors so not always super well lit but also rarely super dark.
I've been eyeing the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II, with kit lens to begin with and probably a Panasonic AF 25/1,7 G Lumix ASPH later on, but I'd like some confirmation that it'll be useful for what I want to use it for since I'm not sure if the low light capabilities will be good enough? An alternative that I have been mentally entertaining is getting a used Sony A7 kit so that I also can adapt all my old glass and get the same field of view, but that would require a bit more financially so I'm not sure it would be worth it.

tl;dr
I have a toddler, decades old gear is causing me issues, recommend be something that has a reasonable good low light capabilities and autofocus for toddlershooting. Based in Sweden but price point would be in the range of a Olympus OM-D E-M10 II kit.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GEMorris posted:

I think you are on the right track. I'm not sure about sweedish camera prices but the gx-80 (the name in your market) should be about the same price, maybe a little more. The Panasonic will get you a less confusing menu system and faster autofocusing, although the e-m10 is no slouch in that department. The big diff is 4k video with the Panasonic.

Lots of good cheap lenses available, especially primes, or I think you can adapt your old glass with a speed booster?

Yes, I've been looking at the GX80 as well, and it is actually somewhat cheaper then the Olympus here. I just realized that I can get a kit with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX80 + 12-32/3.5-5.6 OIS + Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150/4-5.6 R ED for almost exactly the same price as a Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II + M.Zuiko 14-42 EZ, Silver, which seems interesting. Although I have no idea how good any of those lenses, or combinations of lenses and cameras, are. :confused:

As I understand it though, the GX80 only has a 2-axis stabilisation, compared to a 5-axis stabilisation in the E-M10. Since I've never used anything with stabilisation, would the 5-axis stabilisation be something I'd miss or is that mostly useful for stationary objects where I could just as well use a tripod?

My interest in the E-M10 is to some extent based on my preference for the retro SLR-styling and my doubts concerning the rangefinder styling of the GX80, since I'm used to sticking the camera straight into my face rather then somewhat to the side... But if the difference in stabilisation is negligible then I think I could most definitely live with the rangefinder styling of the GX80.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GEMorris posted:

Seconding all this ( I have the godox flash as well as the godox transmitter for off camera flash work, and it's a great and affordable setup).

I want to just mention that both of those kit zooms that come with the gx-80 are great for selling on eBay. I missed the window for the 40-150 offer here in the us, but that would have fetched an additional $150 on eBay and basically paid for my 25mm 1.7

MadlabsRobot, if retro styling is important than the OMD is going to hit that more than the silver gx-80 (The most retro looking Panasonic).

Quick question tho, do you focus with your right eye or your left eye? I'm a right eye focuser and I really like the rangefinder evf location because of that. With a touchscreen lcd, using my wife's G85 with a central evf, my nose will often move the focus accidentally, whereas the rangefinder let's me keep the touchscreen lcd completely away from my face.

Also, the gx-80/85 has 5 axis ibis and dual is 1 (the GH5, G85, and g9 have dual is 2). 2axis ibis was on the gx7 and the gx85 had 4 axis iirc

Right eye dominant. I hadn't even considered that I'd be showing my greasy nose up against a touchscreen, goes to prove how far behind the times I am...

Retro styling isn't that important, the smaller form factor of the GX80 might also encourage my wife to use it more, and it will probably be more confortable to carry around when I'm travelling.

As I understand it the gx80 also has a few more bells and whistles as well so I think I'm going to call it a day and just go for it before my GAS anxiety paralyses me completely.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any recommendations for a tabletop tripod to use with a lumix gx85?
My wife wants to do cooking/baking videos for her friends and a fullsize tripod takes up way too much space, and it should preferably also be something that I can stuff in a pocket or a small bag when I'm out and about and don't want to drag my RoadTrip with me. I've looked at gorillapods and they didn't fill me with confidence when I handled them, but I might be wrong about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Clearly though, she should be thinking bigger and using a curved motorized slider so the view can orbit around her cooking space.

Are there slopes available as well? Might wanna build a camera rollercoaster around the house to capture all the action...

Helen Highwater posted:

If she doesn't need a lot of adjustment, and just needs something to hold the camera steady, then a beanbag is probably OK for those needs. One of those little Manfrotto Pocket tripods would work too. They are about $25 and fit into a sunglasses pouch.

Might get that myself just to ensure I always have something in my bag/pocket when I'm out, but I guess it's no good for any lens larger than a pancake.

strap on revenge posted:

I have one of those manfrotto pixie things and it's awesome. even with a big zoom lens on the camera it doesn't dip or anything

E: https://www.manfrotto.us/pixi-mini-tripod-black

lol at "Attractive Italian design" being one of the bullet points in the description, and whoever made those awful and awkward videos should be ashamed, but seriously that might be great for her since it also doubles as a grip when filming. Guess I know now what to buy for her for Christmas :smuggo: