Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Okay, be gentle on me here. I know nothing about cameras and have some questions.

My wife and I do a fair bit of hiking and backpacking, we have a pretty nice point and shoot (Sony DSC-HX50V) but we were thinking about upgrading to something a bit nicer. I was originally looking at mirrorless due to them supposedly being a little lighter and more durable than a DSLR, but now I'm not so sure that's the case. Additionally, I was looking at something like the Sony Alpha a7II, but this thread doesn't seem to hold them in that high of a regard.

I guess my question is, if I'm looking willing to spend about 1,500-2,000 and maybe another 1,500 or so on lenses, what is a good camera for my use case? Like I said, mostly hiking and landscape photos. Should I be looking at the Fujifilm X-T2 instead? Should I just bite the bullet and get a DSLR like the Pentax K-1? My initial draw towards the Sony Alpha a7II was the full-frame sensor and the in-body image stabilization.

Thanks camera goons. And I thought I had complicated/expensive hobbies. Yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

polyester concept posted:

You really, really, really don't need to spend $3000+ on a full frame mirrorless or DSLR to take nicer hiking photos if you are upgrading from a point and shoot.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah the X-T2 seems way overkill for most people just starting out with an X-series body unless you can really justify the extra features.

I was going to ask that, typed it up and then took it out. I guess I don't want to buy a camera and all the lenses just to have to replace it all if I wanted to upgrade.

What would be a better starting point? Something like a Fujifilm X-T20 or Sony a6300? I'm not shooting myself in the foot by going with an APS-C sensors vs. a full frame sensor?

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 3, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Do you pack a tripod? You don't really need IBIS for outdoor/hiking. Getting that misty water or a long exposure landscape will require one regardless, ibis will give you a longer handheld but isn't a substitute. It really shines indoors, 1-2 second handhelds at a short FL and maybe an extra stop long and IMO is nice for macro. I can fit a gx8, 60mm macro lens and 12-40 in a small crumpler bag (all this would probably cost you around 2k).

I think you'd want weather-sealed which cuts the sony out. The higher your crop the lighter stuff will be; m43 is so very light compared to the k1 or sony gear and will be your cheapest entry. Fuji would be good if you want a crop, they have the WR lens line for weathersealing and everyone else itt will tell you how amazing it is. I think fuji would be a preference over m43 if you consistently shoot wide for the landscapes to avoid distortion at very short FL, but I don't know prices for fuji's wide range stuff. If you're willing to shell 3k, rent to see what you like? I seriously doubt you'd want to lug around a k1 and FF lenses.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

ironically the best detailed landscape you'll be able to get with mirrorless is the smallest sensor m43 with the em5mk2, em1, or em1mk2 using the high res and a tripod. You aren't gimping yourself by not getting FF, you won't need the extra ISO stop. You'd be gimping yourself by going with the Sony 6300 as their E mount (not full frame) is lacking.

Thank you. A lot of what you're saying is over my head, but that's alright, gives me some reading to do. I do not pack a tripod but I was thinking about trying to use a walking pole with a camera mount.

I agree that I probably don't want to be lugging around a DSLR like the K1, which is why I was looking at mirrorless.

Could you explain or point me in the right direction to read about why a smaller sensor (m43 is a MFT sensor?) is better for landscape than a FF?

If I buy lenses for smaller sensor types like the APS-C and then decide to step up to a FF camera, from what I understand they're essentially backwards compatible but not as good as lenses designed to be used with a FF camera?

Sorry, if these questions are too dumb for this thread, please point me in the right direction.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I found two articles that are super helpful so far. Not too far over my head and good information.

http://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-cameras-hiking-backpacking

http://www.switchbacktravel.com/lenses-focal-lengths-landscapes

[Edit: Thanks again for all the help so far. I think you guys got me pointed in the right direction.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 3, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, so I did some more research and I think I have it narrowed down to the a6300 and the X-T20. On the camera body side, the costs are similar. The big differentiators seem to be that the a6300 is weather resistant and has no touchscreen where the X-T20 is not weather resistant but does have a touchscreen. From what I understand if I'm going to be doing photos in the rain I'd need a protective cover anyways and if the lenses themselves aren't weather resistant then it doesn't much matter if the body is weather resistant. So I'm not sure if weather resistant is make or break and I highly doubt the touchscreen is either.

Then I used this site to list all the different lenses available. I was fairly surprised that the a6300 seemed to have many more lenses to choose from (62 to 33), but that's only half the picture and wanted to get an idea on price. So I went ahead and went through the lists for both and tried to pick similar lenses from each category. I tried to stick to only first-party lenses for fairness sake.

If I were to buy a lens in each category, the totals would be about the same (~$5,800). I know I don't need a lens for each category, so I went ahead and picked 3 lenses that seemed to give me the most flexibility and highlighted them green. The cost for buying each of those were fairly similar as well (a6300 $2,342, X-T20 $2,518). I understand there is a lot to be said for prime lenses and I am sure at some point I will pick some up. Even starting off, I'd likely just get 2 lenses and work from there.

My next step is to look at lens reviews, focusing on the lenses I highlighted in green, to make sure there are not huge differences for either camera. Probably research into the 3rd party lenses as well to see if there are any better picks I ignored.

Does this seem like a more sane approach? I know this is over-simplifying, but anything obvious I am missing? I did read a bit about sensor crop factors and understand that to get the real focal point on a lens using an APS-C sensor on a mirrorless camera means I need to multiply it by 1.5 to get the real focal distance, which was informative.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 3, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Popelmon posted:

Before you order anything, go to a photo store and fondle all the cameras. Ergonomics are way, WAY more important than any technical specs for how much you will enjoy your camera.

The a6300 has great specs but it is a usability nightmare. I can't imagine ever using a camera without a touchscreen ever again. Sony also has issues with their battery capacity, you don't really want to carry around 5 extra batteries.

Your Fuji selection looks like a good start. You probably want to replace the 16-50 with the 2.8 version that everyone here keeps praising.

If you haven't sworn off MFT you could also look at the Olympus E-M 1 or E-M5 II with the Olympus 12-40 mm. That is probably the best combination of image quality, weight/size and weather sealing you can find. The only downside is that really wide weather sealed MFT lenses are pretty expensive.

Edit: There is also a pretty decent 40-150mm tele for MFT that costs <$100.

That's a pretty good idea on the holding it in my hand aspect. Plus if I can get the gear for a similar or slightly higher price locally, I'm okay with that. I haven't sworn off MFT, just seems like APS-C is more modern or at the very least those Olympus cameras are a bit older. I guess I should do a similar comparison with one of those included.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Don't buy the XC 16-50. Buy an XT-20 kit and recalculate your budget.

I'd honestly just start with the kit and see which direction in the focal range you find yourself wishing you had more of before going all in on covering 10mm to 230mm.

That sounds like a smart plan. Just to make sure I understand, you mean this kit that includes the Fujinon XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS Lens? And that kit lens is better than the similar Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Zoom Lens that comes with the a6300? Or basically you just mean get either with the kit lens and go from there?

Does anyone else have any super strong feelings on the a6300 vs the XT-20 or on the weather resistent / touchscreen aspect? And again, thanks so much for being patient and holding my hand here.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 4, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

In that case, it sounds like I'm going with Fuji. I think I'm comfortable with that decision. I'll do the rest of my due diligence and then post whatever terrible first photo I take as punishment thanks for all of your guys help. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it. This poo poo is overwhelming.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks everyone for the continued feedback. On the lenses, that was just to get a basic idea on a cost comparison from Fuji to Sony.

I pulled the trigger on the X-T20. Of course you fuckers recommend the camera sold out everywhere. :v: Now I get to play the waiting game. Ordered through B&H as it claimed 1-2 weeks to come in stock as opposed to 1-2 months on Amazon. Got the 18-55 kit lens bundle.

The wife, who actually knows a bit more about photography, was happy with my recommendation after she did her own research - so again, thanks goons!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TheEye posted:

You made a good choice for your situation, assuming you've held the camera in your hand first, because the feel is very important. Once you've used the kit a bunch, you can decide if you want to expand into more telephoto for wildlife, wide angle for better landscapes/night-time long exposures, or one of the variety of primes.

You will however be overwhelmed with the camera controls at first, especially coming to Fuji from a point-and-shoot. The X-T20 isn't as overwhelming as the X-T2, but there are still a lot of dials and menu options you'll need to learn, so I hope you stick with it and figure it all out. Sounds like your wife might be able to help.

I wanted to actually hold the camera in my hands but as far as I can tell it barely exists in real life right now. I couldn't find any online or local store with it in stock. With me not ever having a "real" camera to already have a preference, I have a feeling I won't be too upset about the ergonomics either way. Plus all of the reviews seem to say it feels good in the hand other than maybe a little small to grip, which it seems like there is a grip add-on if needed. I guess worst case I can return it.

From my reading I think I'll end up buying a wideangle prime lens equivalent to about 21mm full frame, but with the praises everyone has given the kit lens I figured I'd start with that. A good wideangle prime is as much as the camera body itself, which I'm sure it's normal to spend more in lenses than you do in bodies.

I watched a couple of reviews and "first time setup" videos and I think I'll be fine on figuring it out. I know adding a button for quick ISO changes and for auto-focusing on center will be my first changes.

I am super stoked and can't wait for the camera to get here. Hopefully B&H's 1-2 week estimate is accurate. It's already going to be a long 2 week wait, can't imagine I'll be able to hold out if it turns into 1-2 months.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Saros posted:

Get the Samyang/Rokinon 12mm/f2. It's manual focus but that hardly matters for a landscape lens and focus highlighting means its simple to use anyway. All of Fuji's wides are super bonkers expensive.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Seconding this .. I loved that lens on my X-T1

Awesome. Will add it to the list.

Now to figure out a carrying solution for hiking. I have some ideas but I'll hold off on that for a bit considering it will be a while before I get my camera. Plus I am done with monopolizing this thread for a bit. Again, can't thank you guys enough. I am super excited.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sarern posted:

I ordered an X-T2 with the 18-55. Now I just have to wait.

Now that I actually placed my order for an X-T20 I somehow went from "never really used a real camera" to "oh my God I need it right now." Seeing how it's sold out everywhere and Amazon has a 1-2 month wait time, I am worried B&H's "ships in 1-2 weeks" is overly optimistic and aaaaaahhhhhhhh

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, but when is B&H going to get more X-T20s in stock? My order is stuck on processing after a week. So sad. :(

I'm trying not to drive myself crazy waiting for it but it's not working. You guys have me too hyped for this camera.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes, but when is B&H going to get more X-T20s in stock? My order is stuck on processing after a week. So sad. :(

I'm trying not to drive myself crazy waiting for it but it's not working. You guys have me too hyped for this camera.

I reached out to B&H and they said they were receiving more X-T20s on Monday (15th) but could not comment on whether or not they'd have enough to fulfill my order. :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

Delivery's tomorrow!

Granted I expect to get a lot of mileage out of the initial 18-55mm that comes with the X-T20, but is there a logical next step for general use? There's this 2016 Fuji lens acquisition guide on the Wirecutter, is it more or less on-point or any egregious mistakes?

The only specific area I could see myself getting into anytime soon is perhaps casual (family) portrait stuff.

Super jealous. Maybe my X-T20 might ship on the 17th. Ughewhdufwhfuds

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, 2 weeks after placing my order with B&H when the X-T20 showed "in stock in 1-2 weeks," B&H support said there was as shipment inbound but could not confirm they would have enough units to fulfill my order and now it is showing "Backordered" and support has no ETA on when they are going to receive more stock.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to find the X-T20 and the 18-55mm lens? Super frustrating. :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If I do without the 18-55mm lens there are quite a few choices, but everyone was really talking up that lens and I feel like it would be a mistake to go with a different lens or just the body. Again, this is my first non-point and shoot camera so I'm fairly clueless. Thoughts?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

In that case I'll just try to be patient and find it in stock anywhere. I'd rather bump up to the X-T2 then go with the X-T10, but there seems to be stock problems there as well with the 18-55. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Still waiting on the X-T20 to be in stock anywhere. :11tea: Still have an order with B&H and now it says it will be in stock June 7th. Worst wait ever!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh my god, it's a miracle! My X-T20 finally shipped, 5 weeks later! And now to play the UPS Ground waiting game.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DJExile posted:

EM1 mk2 arrives today woooo :toot:

:hfive:

My X-T20 arrives today, 6 weeks after ordering it. My first real camera and I am going to spend all day at work playing with it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I spent about half an hour figuring out how the strap installed on my new X-T20. This is going to be a bit of a learning process. :downs:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone know if there is any way to set up the Fujifilm PC AutoSave software to download to a network path? It gives an error saying "Choose local drive" when trying to select a network folder, even if it is mounted to a drive letter. My normal workarounds for something like that don't seem to be working.

Pretty loving stupid that you can't download to a network path.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

whatever7 posted:

Have you mapped your network location to a drive letter?

There is software like alwayssync that copy/move poo poo for you.

Yeah, even with it mounted to a drive letter the software still errors out. I was hoping to avoid downloading locally and syncing, but I guess that's the only way to do it wirelessly for now. Just getting to be a bit too many moving pieces when adding Lightroom, syncing to Google Photos, etc. My wife likes to handle all of that and the less it breaks the less I get to hear about it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So my wife and I had a chance to play with our new camera (X-T20) and we both love it. Huge thank you to this thread for helping me pick out an awesome camera. I'm happy and more importantly the wife is happy. As promised, here are the best of our few awful pictures we took on our first camera walkabout. Thanks again Mirrorless Thread! (Imgur was acting up, sorry for the crappy links.)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The X-T20 does have touch to focus. You can set it to either immediately take the picture while focusing on the spot you touched or you can have it autofocus and require you to press the trigger to take it. The later has been super helpful as I'm learning.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There is a "push down front wheel" button on the X-T20 though, that can be remapped. Not sure if that information is helpful or not.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

rio posted:

I read that the touch screen is not active while the camera is up at your face - is that true? I forget which camera maker had that touch to focus while looking through the evf it it always sounded like a great use for a touchscreen and something that could potentially be even quicker than a joystick.

There is a sensor that detects you using the EVF and turns off the screen (and thus the touch part). You can also set it to only use the EVF or only the LCD screen. But I don't think you can have both on pike your describing. In my case it would cause all sorts of problems because my nose touches the LCD when using the EVF.

This is all very new to me though, so take all that with a huge grain if salt.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm way new to all this but I've found my X-T20 very user friendly. Except for the wireless download process, that poo poo sucks rear end.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

8th-snype posted:

Yeah the app is a pain in the rear end, but less of a pain in the rear end than carrying an SD card reader just for instagram pics imo (which I used to do before wifi bodies).

It seems terrible at a surface level, but I am even more frustrated with the fact that I can't download to a NAS. That's just silly.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I could. Or I could download to an iSCSI drive on my NAS or download to a local disk and sync it over to my NAS. The problem is all of those solutions suck and why the gently caress can't I download to a network drive?

[Edit: Not frustrated with you, just trying to prove a point.]

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As someone new to camera, I am also really loving my X-T20. Super easy to use so far and I feel like I'm actually learning and not being too overwhelmed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been using my XT-20 and learning a lot. I've definitely found some situations where I'd like a wide angle or telephoto lens. I have a couple of lenses on camelcamelcamel and am hoping they go on sale at some point. But I appreciate people directing me towards the kit lens, it really is quite awesome.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Choicecut posted:

My dog knocked over my XT1 on the tripod earlier today. My JB designs grip broke in half, scuffed up my 16-55, and the lcd was pulled out so it broke one the arm extensions. Everything still works fine except for the LCD flipping out. I got it stuffed back in so its flush for now. I'm taking this opportunity to get a new camera and spend more money. Since I'm getting into more video, should I consider moving into a different platform rather than stay with Fuji? I would upgrade to the XT2 if I stay obviously (may consider the XT20).

Also would anyone be interested in purchasing this body at a discount? I could record video with my phone to show it working and the damage if someone was interested.

Sorry to hear about your camera. :(

I might be interested if no one else is, the damage isn't too crazy, and the price makes sense. I have a newly purchased XT-20 and would love for an excuse to buy more lenses while also having a second camera that can use said lenses so if my wife and I are walking around we can both be taking pictures.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Choicecut posted:

I have a real hard time making decisions any more, so I'm researching things before I make a purchase. I will let you know when I do to see if you are still interested in the XT1. Right now I'm on the fence between the XT2, XT20 and switching platforms to the Sony A7R2.

No worries, I know the feeling! I am new to this whole photography thing, but the thread talked me into an XT-20 with the 18-55 lens and I couldn't be happier. Plus, if you already have a bunch of X mount lenses. Although if you said you're doing more video, then maybe the switch to Sony is worth it. Sorry, like I said I'm new and rambling.

But I feel for you! Was on a hike for the solar eclipse and a friend had her Sony a6000 fall as we were walking. Was on one of those straps that screwed into the tripod mount and it had unscrewed itself while we were walking. I was amazed when she was able to pick it back up and it still took pictures. Crazy. I imagine if it was a DSLR you'd have to get all sorts of things adjusted, if you were lucky enough that it didn't break completely.

Anyways, good luck with your decision and just PM me if you still feel like selling the XT1.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Huxley posted:

The times I've been asked if my Fuji was film camera outnumber the times I've seen another Fuji in the wild probably 10:1.

I had the same thing happen the other day. I was super confused at first, being new to this whole photography thing.

"Oh awesome, is that a film camera?!"
"This? Oh, no, it's a Fuji mirrorless."
"Oh, never mind." *walks away sad*

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

It's not 40mm but I've got my eye on the XF 35mm F2 WR for this upcoming sale. Apparently the autofocus is something fast like 0.08 seconds. The price is already fairly reasonable, too.

When you say upcoming sale, is that in anticipation if Fuji launching the new lenses? I have a handful of lenses on a watch list at camelcamelcamel and they do not seem to to on sale often. Would really love an excuse to pick up some of them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Awesome, thank you. Must have missed that one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Eh... I'm not sure those are enough discounts to make me pull the trigger. They've been a lot lower on Amazon (according to camelcamelcamel) and I'm not sure I can justify spending a couple of grand on lenses at 10% discount.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, so say now's the time to buy some lenses and we won't see discounts like there used to be anytime soon. When I bought the X-T20 at the threads recommendations, which I loved, I had asked for feedback on lenses as well. I haven't bought anything, the XF18-55 has been great so far. These were the recommendations:

Fujinon XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Fujinon XF27mmF2.8
Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Ultra Wide Angle Lens for Fuji X Mount Digital Cameras (Black) (RK12M-FX) - Fixed

I'm basically looking to cover the following use cases: just walking around town, landscape when hiking, the ability to do some "up close" shots (probably not actually macro?) with a shallow depth of field, and maybe something with a bit of reach, but nothing too crazy. I'm still learning, so I apologize for the lovely knowledge on my part.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, you were super helpful and I am glad I listened to you and others who were saying just stick with the kit lens for now.

The pancake lens was for just doing walkabouts downtown with the camera. I'd like to bring it along more often but it's a bit too heavy and bulky to just randomly bring with me when I'm going somewhere. It's like I only use it when I specifically am going out to use the camera. I was hoping the pancake lens would help with that since a big portion of the weight is the 18-55 lens.

On the ultrawide, I haven't really felt limited but from what I understand it's a pretty nice upgrade for landscape? Or do you think it's not that big of a difference between the 12mm lens and the 18-55mm all the way zoomed out?

On the 55-200mm, there have been times where I haven't been able to zoom in enough with the 18-55mm. Mostly when taking pictures of random wildlife. Not a big deal, but would be cool to have the ability.

Maybe I'd be better served with the Fujinon XF35mmF1.4 R instead of the pancake? It's still small and it's quite fast, so would be better for shallow depth of field?

Anyways, thanks again for the help. I've been lurking this thread and a few others and you guys are all super helpful. I have a better idea on some of the basics now, but "should I have a million lenses" is still a question. I've only used the one I've got. :v: