Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
I have an E-PM1 on the way. It's my first "serious" camera. I've always wanted to step up from P&S, but didn't want to lug a DSLR, and now m43/mirrorless is becoming a great option. It should arrive tomorrow, and I can't wait.

Mine will come with the 14-42mm kit lens. I would love a pancake too, but can't spend $2-300+ on additional lenses at the moment. I see some people having great success using adapters and old lenses though for like $50. Can someone give (or link to) a quick primer on what to get in that regard? Just a couple cheap options to play around with.

Something simple like "Get an XYZ adaptor, and you can use Manufacturer P-mount lenses. Get a Xmm for indoor/low-light, and a Ymm for landscapes."

I can then search eBay, amazon, etc for some deals. I live in NYC, so I plan to stop by B&H and Adorama at some point too.

Thanks!

SupahCoolX fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Augmented Dickey posted:

For low light/portraits, I'd recommend and Olympus OM or Nikon F adapter, plus a corresponding 50mm f/1.8 lens to match it. Shouldn't run you more than $50 total.

For landscapes I would just stick with the kit 14-42 lens for now- you aren't going to find any wide angle lenses that will really outperform until you get into the $500+ range.
Awesome, thanks! (Edit: and double thanks for the links you added in!)

I tossed out low light and landscapes as examples. Anything else that might be handy, cool, or not otherwise covered? Macro or zoom (or will the kit be ok)?

Edit: Wow, just found a local deal for an OM/m43 adapter, that same 50mm lens, a 35mm/2.8, a 75-150mm, and an 80-200mm all for $85. Hopefully it comes through! That would give me plenty to play and experiment with, without breaking the bank.

SupahCoolX fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 26, 2012

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
Thanks again to Augmented Dickey for the OM lens info. I now have my E-PM1, kit lens, and a couple of manual focus lenses with adaptor (got a great deal, and they're all excellent additions).

Now the question: When using the kit lens in low light, the orange light on front of the camera lights up to help serve as a focus guide. When using a manual lens, however, I can't find any way to activate that light so I can get at least some ability to adjust my focus before shooting. Is it possible? It's especially weird when using the flash, since that will light up the eventual picture, but it will be completely out of focus because I couldn't see what I was focusing on.

Also not seeing a way to activate the MF Assist to zoom in when using a manual lens (since the camera only initiates that function when the focus ring on a modern lens is rotated).

SupahCoolX fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 27, 2012

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

I light fires posted:

I'm thinking of throwing in with m4/3 crew on the new om-d and before I put in my pre order I was wondering what people think is the best deal for the pre order bonus you get when you pre order from olympus. They have a regular 4/3 adapter, an OM adapter or a wireless flash.

I'm leaning towards the OM adapter just for some old cheapish lenses but maybe I'm missing out on the possible gem 4/3 lenses I haven't paid any attention to. Thoughts?
I would say to skip the OM adapter either way because you can get off-brand ones on eBay for ~$15, or the Fotodiox one on Amazon for ~$20. Since those lenses don't use autofocus or any other fancy tech, there's nothing the Olympus adapter provides over the cheap ones. So, that adapter isn't the best use of your bargain/deal.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
Olympus E-PM1 question:

It seems my Pen is very "conservative" (for lack of a better term) about auto choosing ISO. Pretty much any indoor scene, it opts for 1600 when I can still get sufficient shutter speed at, say, 800 or less if I set the ISO manually. I don't mind leaving my max ISO set at 1600, since that can still be useful at times, but is there any way to make the auto ISO a little more aggressive? I don't always want to have to fiddle with it manually if I don't have to.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
Get the 14mm lens on eBay for $160. You won't be sorry.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Gurz posted:

All the whining of the Sony-victims itt finally convinced me to invest into m43 - 14mm and 20mm here we go. I'm (from my current point of view) going to miss out on focus peaking and a less aggressive crop factor for my legacy lenses, but m43 seems to be on a roll.
Don't forget the Olympus 45mm for portraits (if that's your thing) to complete the "holy trinity" of affordable m43 primes. Also, you can get the 14mm on eBay for like $160 (parted out from kits in Asia), and it's a steal at that price.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

d0s posted:

EDIT2: Since I haven't actually gotten my 17 2.8 in the mail yet and don't really lurk here, does anyone here have one? Is it as bad as the pixel peeping nerds say it is? I'm kind of worried I wasted my money, but since I only have the kit lens (the original 14-42 3.5-5.6) and haven't been spoiled with fancy lenses it's probably going to feel like a definite upgrade, right? RIGHT?!?
I haven't used the 17, but if you're not happy with it, you can sell it and pick up the Panasonic 14mm for $160 "new" (pulled from a kit) on eBay from Asia. It's a great, super tiny lens at an awesome price. I've done that (along with many others here and on other forums), and it's a must-have deal.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Ropes4u posted:

I have been looking at the Olympus PL2, any reason I wouldn't want this camera. I would probably add a viewfinder, one day.

The panny 14
Samyang 7.5 fisheye
Kit lens 14-42
Insert a zoom lens here 45-200?
42 f1.8
I would personally skip the kit zoom. Panny 14 (get it on eBay for $150 parted from a kit in Asia, crazy deal at that price) + Panny 20 + Oly 45mm is widely considered the way to go on m43.

Sub in the Oly 12, Panny 25, or Oly 75 if you want to spend more money. Fisheye is a specialty lens, so up to you.

Tele zooms are all fairly common, and I don't know that any is considered a blowaway lens. The Oly 40-150 or Panny 45-200 are generally good and affordable (Oly is smaller and lighter, but Panny has a little extra reach).

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
I'd personally go for a better lens on a lesser body to start. You can always upgrade the body to an OMD later, but saving all that money to put towards some combo of 14/20/45 will make the bigger difference up front.

Check used deals on those too (I recently got a like-new 20mm on Amazon for $290).

SupahCoolX fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 26, 2012

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Hello lens that replaces my 14 and 20.
That's what I'm thinking. I haven't seen a good size comparison between the new lens and, say, the 20 though. But I'm thinking a slight loss in portability is made up for by having 1 less lens to switch out.

I'm thinking a 17-45 kit is better than 14-20-45. Then I can always add a fisheye or something for if/when I really want something wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

dietcokefiend posted:

About the only thing I don't like is the limited depth of field inherent to the m4/3 system in general compared to FF or APS-C. So far I've been working around it, but I'll probably end up using larger cameras when DoF is required.
Swapping out that kit lens for a nice prime (20, 25, 45, and/or 75) will be a big help there.