Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I seem to be having trouble with my rangefinder.

Anyone know how I can upload the photos from it to Flickr? TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

krooj posted:

Leica user forums are literal proof that Solms syndrome is real.

Fixed that.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I hope lots of people upgrade to the X100s, so that I can buy a X100 on the cheap.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

I'm actually thinking of getting a 6x6 system to supplement whatever I get digitally, but honestly I'm kind of tired of manual focusing for everyday shooting. Kind of why I want to just get one good camera and one good lens and call it a day.

Get a Rollei 6008AF.:homebrew:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/261688-REG/Rollei_66015_6008AF_Medium_Format_Auto.html

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

It shipped with a feature to fix that that also doubles as an intervalometer. Added value if you ask me.

Don't you have to supply your own rubber band?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Musket posted:

You should worry more about the one bad seed in this thread, than this bullshit 3d render. That bad seed is talking about samsung cameras like they matter. That kinda talk belongs in the angry birds thread in games.

Suffer not the sarnsung to live.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I took a selfie at the bar last night with my x100s just for this thread.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Beastruction posted:

For portraits in octarine light?

What's octarine? I can't remember.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Musket posted:

Your at the Dunne?

Atlantic Crossing

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

eXXon posted:

A Leica wouldn't have needed a tripod.

You don't need a tripod to sit on display in a cabinet.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

IanTheM posted:

Hope the glass panes on the cabinet have that signature glow.

SMDH if your cabinet glass ain't Schott AG.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

spankmeister posted:

I can't help but read Suck My Dick, Hard whenever somebody posts that acronym.

Whelp. *unzips*

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm the camo-pattern bideo game controller.

Where!?!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

keyframe posted:

That was probably Mr. Despair not the president of Olympus.

How do we know that Mr Despair isn't the President of Olympus?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm not in jail

Yet.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I have been using a Gordy's strap on my x100s but the other night I decided I wanted something that could extend into a sling. I ordered this expensive strap because reasons (I was hella drunk). It came in today and looks pretty good.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

Any of you nerds use one of these thumb rests on your X-E1 or X-E2? The price is right and I don't really want to spend more on a thumb thing unless this is literal garbage.

I tried a Sony RX1 thumb rest on my X-E1 at the store today and it felt FANTASTIC, but it was TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY earth dollars. I almost laughed out loud.

I bought two plastic thumb grips for my x100s for $8 on ebay, suits my needs. I don't think an expensive one is going to be crazy better than the cheapest one you can find.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

That's the exact one I bought actually.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I considered an XE-2 and 27mm instead of my x100s but the f/2 lens and OVF sold me on the x100s. drat do I love that OVF for casual snapshots. My solution for when 23mm is too wide is to crop to 4:5 or 1:1, it's working out okay so far.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Ugh why doesn't aki-asashi have x100s kits in dark green?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

spog posted:

When I am awake and thinking straight, I set a maximum bid that I think a reasonable price that I am willing to pay for the item.

When I am in my bed and aomeone challenges my masculinity by outbidding me, I get the red mist. Perhaps it is because I am not wearing trousers at the time?

Test this scientifically by not wearing trousers ever.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

widunder posted:

Finally got a X-E1 cheaply off eBay and boy, the in-camera JPG engine really is what it's cracked up to be.

Still too poor to use anything else but my old manual Canon FD lenses and I kind of wish the focus peaking color would be anything else but white. Oh and is it likely that any third party autofocus lenses will start turning up for the x-mount anytime soon?

I have only been testing my new Xpro for 12 hours but the 35mm is worth every penny of the $400 I paid for it so far.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

plannerpirate posted:

I'm bulk ordering film from B&H to Australia, and there's space on the order to add a discounted fuji lens before I hit the customs tax limit :australia:

It's really a tossup between either the 18mm f/2 or 60mm f/2.4 - already own the 35 f/1.4 and none of the other rebate lenses interest me.

The 14mm f/2.8 or the 10-24mm f/4 are future purchases depending on how that zoom turns out.

I generally shoot landscapes and the built environment; I'm looking for something wider though this would probably be covered by either of the above lenses. A portrait lens would be a nice addition too, macro isn't really a requirement as I could always adapt an old lens.

Would the 18mm compliment either of these, or should I just go for the 60mm or even the 56mm? For those interested in the 56mm, what are the advantages over the 60mm?

Buy more film is also an appropriate response. :v:

The main reason I'm interested in the 56mm over the 60mm is the fact that it's f/1.2. If I want a slow tele I already have a 105mm nikkor.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Got my F to X mount adapter in the mail yesterday so the first thing I did was mount my idiot piss garbage Sun zoom to it because reasons.

Example of the stunning quality a random T mount zoom that cost $5 will get you.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Fart Car '97 posted:

Leicas are cool as hell but they really are a weird niche camera for people with lots of cash to blow. It's just a shame that they inspire such bizarre explanations from their users (not you, krooj). If most Leica users just said 'I like using a rangefinder and I could afford it' instead of barfing up some Leica glow bullshit, they wouldn't get nearly as much poo poo as they do.

I mean, look at this post on Steve Huff:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/03/29/my-story-with-leica-so-far-by-william-bichara/

There is literally nothing special or worth noting about those photos that sets them apart from any other decent digital camera.

I do think that rangefinders are special, because the viewfinder abstracts from the image. I find that as I get older I like cameras that don't show me exactly the scene as I see it, like the uncorrected ground glass on a 4x5. I mean I'm not buying into the whole "Leica is magic" thing but I use the OVF on my X cameras 90% of the time for that specific reason.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Fart Car '97 posted:

Nevermind I wasn't thinking.

I just mean that when someone blathers on about how awesome a Leica is and how it totally changed their work I think a lot of that is because of how it changes your process.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Fart Car '97 posted:

Sorry, that post is actually edited because I wrote some other stuff but realized it was kind of half-baked right away. It wasn't meant as a dig at your opinion on rangefinder OVFs or anything :v:

I didn't think you were, I'm just half asleep and wanted to make sure my half-baked stuff made sense.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bob Socko posted:

Any Fuji shooters find a flash they really like? I shot an event over the weekend using the EF-42 flash and wasn't that impressed. Then again, the shooting conditions were kind of a bear - dimly-lit event hall with 50ish ft high ceilings covered in lighting gear and air ducts, so bounce flash was kind of a no-go. I tried doing without, but I found myself more-or-less wide open at more-or-less ISO 6400, which led to the washed out skin tone issue that DPreview and some others have noticed. I could have just switched to black and white, but the org throwing the event wanted color photos of everyone.

In related news, I've upgraded from a pair of X-E1 to a pair of X-E2, so I'll be posting those for sale soon. I might sell one X-E1 and one X-E2 instead, as the second body really is just for back-up, so I should worry more about it being functional than it being the latest and greatest.

I haven't used it yet (other than to test my radio trigger after years of sitting in a box) but I'm just gonna roll around with one of my Nikon SB-26 on my X cameras same as I did when shooting a D700. I use a Stofen Omnibounce and in room which non bounceable ceilings have made do with an index card rubberbanded to the head.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Digital Jesus posted:

If you had said "a poo poo post" instead, you'd be correct!

D-Lux 5 owner spotted.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

keyframe posted:

Picking up a Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AI this weekend for $100. :snoop:

I haven't used the fuji lenses ever since I started shooting MF lenses on my XT-1.

Nice, I have used my 105mm on the Xpro a few times and it owns.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 1, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Geektox posted:

I just got my Nikon->Fuji adapter today. What lenses should I be on the lookout for?

Frankly the only thing I consider worth buying to adapt is the 105mm f/2.5 (or F/1.8) and probably the 180mm AI. Anything else decent is either huge, expensive, or has a better version available from Fuji. The 105m is nice because it's reasonably fast, relatively small and sharp wide open.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

keyframe posted:

I disagree. I have the Nikkor 50mm f1.4 and the 24mm 2.8 and they are both small and absolutely amazing lenses.

I have owned several Nikon 50mm f/1.4s and a 24mm f/2.8. I would call them adequate not amazing. There's no reason to go out of your way to buy those specific lenses.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Dren posted:

Yeah the guy who showed me his camera had his Fn button set to pull up the menu. I feel kind of like a snob for even having this opinion but having to go into a menu, select an iso, and confirm w/ a different button is very clunky compared to "hold down Fn button, spin wheel a bit, gg hf". ISO setting on the X-E2 feels like a point and shoot system where a crucial setting is buried in menus instead of like a mid/pro level UX where it is fluidly accessible.

I guess it's not such a big deal. Oh, and there is a cheap adapter for the pano head so that it'll take a camera with an offset tripod thread so that's not really a dealbreaker.

Selecting an ISO on Fuji cameras isnt a huge deal because their autoISO is very good. Set range between 200 and 3200 and a comfortable minimum shutter speed then forget it exists.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Stumbletron posted:

When I had an x100s the exposure comp dial did nothing when auto ISO was enabled but they've probably fixed that by now, right? The auto ISO always wanted to overexpose and the menu/stupid wheel on the back were annoying enough that I got rid of it.

I'd buy a new RD1 style camera with as few features as possible in a heartbeat.

Yeah exposure comp works fine now. I have - 1/3 to - 1 dialed in at all times.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I was super excited about split image focusing on my x100s and then found focus peaking superior in every way.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Rontalvos posted:

I love my x100, but if I wanted to step into a Fuji with interchangeable lenses, what model should I go for?

Once I bought my x100 I stopped paying attention to the many bodies Fuji has put out and now I'm behind the times.

If you love everything about the OVF get an Xpro-1, if you don't care about it get an XE-2 or XT-1 depending on your budget.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

bobfather posted:

Come on. Oly makes a $400 nifty fifty (equivalent), and the Pana 25mm f/1.4 is over $600.

These pieces of glass are not superior to the competition. In fact, they perform equally to, but are 2-4x as expensive as similar lenses by Canikon.

Might want to recheck your math there chief:
Nikon's 35mm f/1.4 AFS: $1799 on Amazon.
Canon's 35mm f/1.4: $1479 on Amazon.
Panasonic 25mm f/1.4: $649 on Amazon.
Fuji XF 35mm f/1.4: $599 on Amazon.

If you are comparing the price of f/1.4 APS-C and MFT lenses to 50mm f/1.8 prices then please shut the gently caress up while grown folks is talking.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

bobfather posted:

Why are you comparing two full frame 35mm lenses to two crop body 50mm-equivalent lenses?

Also, the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 is built for crop bodies and costs $200. Your turn.

Why are you comparing f/1.8 lenses to f/1.4 lenses? I'm comparing equivalent lenses you are cherry picking facts to support your position.

Mightaswell posted:

You're screwing with field of view equivalency to support your argument. The Canikon 50 1.4's are ~$350. The Canikon 35mm 1.4s have no m4/3 equivalents.

No I'm not, a 35mm lens is a 35mm lens not a 50mm lens just because you mount it on an APS-C body.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mightaswell posted:

I'm not sure what point you're making here, but I was pointing out that you put two fast wide angles in a list comparing fast normals. It wasn't an accurate comparison.

Okay the 25mm isn't an even comparison but why wouldn't you compare 35mm f/1.4s to 35mm f/1.4s? Canon and Nikon both make APS-C cameras so if you want an f/1.4 "normal" FOV equivalent on those cameras that is what you would have to pay to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mightaswell posted:

Complaining that the 35L is too expensive for a crop normal is like complaining that the Sigma 30 vignettes too much for a FF wide: they were designed for completely different purposes and systems. Anyways I don't particularly disagree with your sentiment that Canon/Nikon crop is slim pickins (Nikon 35f1.8 and Sigma 30f1.4 only games in town) which is why anyone who likes primes switched to FF, m43 or Fuji. Sometimes I forget that Canon crop even exists.

That's my point as well, f/1.4 canikon lenses are expensive. Bobfather saying a 35mm f/1.8 is "similar" to a Fuji 35mm f/1.4 or Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 just to make the point that they are more expensive is silly. Fast lenses are always more expensive by an absurd amount, you pay through the nose for those 2/3rds of a stop and always will.