Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again
Tried C1 last spring and was impressed by the speed compared to Lightroom (C1 on little 2015 Macbook with 8gb RAM beat the pants off my big monster desktop running Lightroom). Ultimately, I didn't adopt it because it was missing third party plugins for presets (I use a lot of film simulations) and export. Has that changed in the last year?

I manage my smugmug galleries through Lightroom smart galleries and a plugin, and this is the feature that keeps me from jumping ship. I know there were no export plugins at that time, and maybe I'm wrong, but I remember there was no equivalent to smart galleries either. I was testing out a bunch of alternatives at the time, so I might be getting that part mixed up. Otherwise, I would have jumped on that massive sale C1 had this spring.

Please tell me if/that I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

Hopper posted:

C1 has smart albums that allow you to filter by keyword, rating, color marking, various metadata and more. I think that's what smart galleries are?

But do they have export plugins that will keep those galleries up-to-date externally when the contents change? With Lightroom, I can add or remove photos by altering metadata and then hit "publish" and the plugin takes care of the rest. They didn't when I last checked. Let me know if that's changed!

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

Molten Llama posted:

If SmugMug wants to write a plugin for C1 like they did for LR, they could. (Edit: And they're allegedly working on it.)

Great, last time I checked, there were no 3rd party plugins, so this is great news. I might be able to make the switch within in the next 12 months!

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again
While we're still somewhat on the topic of LR alternatives, has anyone tried out Mylio? Got an offer today for a lifetime 20% off (I guess they just launched premium or something) and the promises are good, but does it deliver?

I'm still reading the online reviews, but I was wondering if anyone here had direct experience?

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

XBenedict posted:

Also Luminar is on sale. Does anyone have experience with it?

I tried 2018 but rejected it because it didn't have a catalog (although they kept promising it) and it behaved buggily as a Lightroom plugin. I bought Luminar 3 as part of a package deal and was sorely disappointed by how buggy it was. Things like crashing mid-edit, not starting up...that kind of thing. I gave up on it pretty quickly. Stopped even trying the patches they released. It felt like they released an early alpha and used their user base to test it. The catalog released with L3 has nothing on Lightroom. If you care about organization, it's not even worth considering.

Also, I find their presets are really not to my taste. If you go to their page on Facebook, there are a lot of people posting their photos and they are cartoonily over processed. If you like your photos to be crazy HDR or look like the kind of thing someone might paint on velvet, then maybe it's good?

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

XBenedict posted:

FWIW, it has a catalog now.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I know Luminar 3 has a catalog. It's just not very good if you like the organizational bells and whistles of the Lightroom catalog. And also, a catalog isn't very useful if the software barely runs.

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again
Hey, back to Capture One for a sec, if you guys don't mind... I got the 30% offer that's been flying around, and seriously looking to pull the trigger. Just shot a paid gig today, 2000+ photos, and dreading going through them with LR and its sometimes 1-3 second pause while flipping between photos. Of course, even with the 30% discount, it's still pretty expensive, and I'd need to hold onto my LR subscription for managing my personal photos, at least until SmugMug makes their export plugin.

Questions:

1. Are the style packs worth the money? To answer holocaust bloopers's question from a couple of pages back, I use RNI and VSCO presets in LR, which I spent stupid money on, but I've actually narrowed that down to three or four film looks that I use with regularity (60% with Portra 160, the rest with various Afga) with a touch of hard fade. Every few months or so, my favourites shift around.

2. I noticed there's presets converter by Picture Instruments for $47. Has anyone used that and is that worth the money?

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

harperdc posted:

Anybody else with a Fuji having problems with the Camera Connect app on iOS 13? I wasn’t able to get it connected yesterday and the only thing that changed versus when it worked was updating to 13.1.

I find the Camera Connect app to be super flaky across the board. Android only experience here, but issues are across several phones and tablets and several cameras. The Bluetooth connect part works about 80% of the time in the cameras that have that feature, but the wireless connect, initiated independently or via the Bluetooth link fails about 80% of the time (doesn't connect, is painfully slow, drops connection, etc.).

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What’s a really good manual focus lens at 300mm? The X-T30 has killed my aspiration for the Fuji 100-400. It seems like too big of a lens to pay the price to use on this little camera. It’s not a super critical use case and I’d definitely want to stay under $1000.

I used to shoot with a Nikon AF 300/4 but it was kind of a beater and had low contrast wide open. My thought is to spring for an AIS 300/4.5 but is there a Canon FD or even a third party like Tokina or Tamron SP that was reputed to be better? Any with ED glass?

I've got a Canon FD 80-200 f4 L with an old 2x FD tele extender that works okay. I use it on an X-H1, which has stabilization, but I don't think it would be unusable without it, if you have reasonably steady hands. It will look comically large on an X-T30 (long and thin), but there's no getting around that with a decent long lens of that era, I don't think. No tripod mount on the lens to mitigate the front heaviness either.
The lens is around $250 and the extender is $20 - $50.

It was one of the last, if not the last, L lenses made for the FD mount.

If you want to go even cheaper and don't mind a narrower aperture, the FD 100-200 F5.6 S.C. is surprisingly no slouch optically, especially given that it can be found for $10 - $30. I haven't tried it with the extender. It's also considerably smaller and lighter.

Only caveat is that my use case (with extender) has me shooting outside during the day. If you need this setup for indoors, this may not be the lens you're looking for. (It's fine indoors without the extender, but you're losing two stops with it on, so, depending on conditions, it may not work for you.)

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

frogbs posted:

Does anyone else with a Fuji XF 35mm 1.4 find that it under exposes by 1 to 2 stops? I’m shooting with an XT-10, other lenses I use are fine. Is it just extra contrasty, do I have a weird copy, or is it probably all in my head?

I have not found that in any of the cameras I've shot with using that lens (X-H1, X-T20, X-T3). But I usually compose visually using the EVF... Are you saying that it's underexposed vs what the camera's histogram tells you (and what you see through the EVF), or vs what you expect given shutter/ISO/aperture settings?

e: stuck a missing bracket in

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

Dauher posted:

Is a Fuji xh1 still a good buy? I know they've been discontinued, and I've got a lead on one for about 680 body only.

On the same note, I'd be starting out in the Fujiblens system, what would be a good cheap place to start with for glass?

I have access to a X-T30, X-T3, and X-H1, one of which I am going to buy. (I have shot with the X-T1 and X-T20 too). I shoot candid portraits and events (theatre, parties, and other low light type stuff). The H1 sensor shows its age a bit, with more noise in low light (especially evident in video), but for stills, I still prefer it. IBIS is great (I like to shoot with vintage manual glass a lot), and the mechanical shutter is also super quiet, so you don't need to muffle it if you're shooting a quiet live show...or a lightly sleeping baby.

That price is pretty good for an X-H1 in good condition and the kit lens is a great start.

I have, in native Fuji glass, the 18-55, the 23 1.4, the 35 1.4 and the 56 1.2. I'd recommend any of them. If you're scratching your head, go for the zoom or the 35.

I use adapted glass for the long telephoto end (everything over 56mm). The Fuji telephoto stuff is pricey, and I honestly was not blown away by the 55-140, or whatever it is. So that's my suggestion if you need something long on a budget.

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

harperdc posted:

I bought the XF 55-200 a couple months back, I haven’t been able to use it a ton but it’s absolutely a telephoto version of the XF 18-55, from build quality to image quality. It’s just a bit too big for the X-T20, but I’m sure it’d handle better on the H1.

Interesting. For me, I actually needed more telephoto than that (school sports days) and the price with the extender made my head explode. So I got the 70-200 Canon FD F/4 L from the 80s for ~$200 and a 2x
FD extender for another $20 and upped my manual focus game really fast. (The XH1's IBIS helps a lot.)

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

powderific posted:

How does IBIS work with the zoom (I'm assuming the FD lens can't communicate focal length)? Do you have to stick with a focal length, or does it work OK throughout the range?

You lose a couple of stops of stabilization, but it still works pretty well. With the extender on, handheld in daylight, haze and the optics of the lens are a greater limitation on sharpness than camera shake in my experience. I haven't tried it in darker environments (school recitals, theatre, etc.) with the extender on yet.

I either set it for the longest zoom setting (400mm on this case) if I'm going to be mostly shooting long, or if I'm going to be using the whole range, somewhere in the middle. Honestly, even when I forget to set the mount adapter setting, it still works okay.

(By the way, it's the 80-200 F/4 L, not 70-200 as I mistyped earlier.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

frogbs posted:

I have an XT-10 and am considering upgrading to an XT-3 or XT-5. Will the dynamic range on either be that much of a step up from the XT-10?

The XT-3 is exactly half as much as the XT-5, so I’m weighing how much I need that extra resolution and ibis…

Sorry, your post is a bit old, but it really depends on what you're shooting. I like IBIS (X-H1) because I shoot theatre and outdoors with vintage telephoto glass and those extra stops make a huge difference. If you're not shooting in low light or at super long focal lengths, the IBIS isn't as crucial. I also have an X-T3 and if you're not doing the things I mentioned, it's going to be a huge jump up from the X-T10. I'd save the money and grab that instead of the X-T5.

Edit: X-T10, not X-10