Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

titanium posted:

I picked up my X100 today, I seemed to have found the last one in the Twin Cities. One issue I have (maybe its just with mine) but if I'm any closer than 2.5/3ft away I have to go into macro mode. This isnt normal is it? It's pretty frustrating if I'm remotely close to my subject because then it goes into the EVF mode only.

Yeah it is, I think 80cm is the cutoff where the OVF won't autofocus. I think it's the case because the parallax error would be so large that the OVF won't accurately represent the picture at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

^^Just updated, the AF really seems a bit more snappy which is awesome, especially in well lit areas.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

The leaked Fuji stuff looks pretty exciting, I'm not really tempted to sell my X100 in anticipation, but I'm looking forward to the iterations that will follow.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

Notice how a 35mm equivalent is absent? They have a 28, a 50, and a 90mm. The thing is, if the LX is amazing, I'd want to sell the X100 and get just the LX with a 35-e and the 90-e, I don't want to carry two cameras. I really hope the lenses are really pancake sized.

I noticed that, which I thought it was quite odd. All I'd really want out of the X100 I have now would be to be able to switch between a 35mm and 50mm. I can't imagine Fuji not eventually producing a 35mm-equivalent lens though for the LX. I'm actually pretty interested how the frame lines are going to be handled or better yet, the manual focusing.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Boner dissipating at the expected 1700USD price for body only.

Oh drat. At that price I don't think I can even consider it an option even if I sell my X100 off.

I think with the release of Fuji's new camera I don't think I'm even remotely interested in getting a DSLR ever again.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, I only talked to some X100 owners to get their take on it. Generally the camera forums are full of noise and make every little issue sound like it's some enormous, horrible flaw that makes the camera unusable, so I will admit to not paying too much attention there. :)

The AF on the X100 is fine, it's just if you're expecting the AF to be as good as a DSLR you'll be sorely disappointed. Sure it can be frustrating at first but I make do with what I've got. Manual focus is terrible though.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

Keep in mind that the Internet tends to amplify problems. All the people who are happily snapping away with their X100s are not posting angrily on the Internet.

Pretty much this, I've had my X100 for about four months with around 3500 shutter actuations and I've had zero problems with the aperture blades being sticky. Since Fuji hasn't made any announcement about the issue then it's probably not that big of a deal. Because of the announcement and impending release of the new X-pro1, it would be so unbelievably loving stupid to turn a blind eye if there were major problems in one of their flagship products.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Holy crap, the yellow grip with the red and green buttons on the top make the drat thing look like a toy.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

If you haven't already, pick up a fast SD card, I use the SanDisk Extreme Pro, it really does speed up the write times after taking a picture because when the camera is writing the file, it locks you out of accessing the menu.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Zack Arias has been shooting with the Xpro-1 for awhile now and has been showing stuff on his blog from trip to Dubai and India here:

http://zackarias.com/blog/

He seems to be thrilled with it.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Seriously digging the new X100 FW update, now it's going to be less annoying when trying to shoot directly into the sky with the toggleable ND filter. Everytime the FW is updated, it seems like the sound the camera makes when auto focusing changes :v:.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

For you X100 users, the 1.21 firmware is out if you didn't notice like I did.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/finepix_x100/index.html

mes fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 6, 2012

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently Fuji is a stickler for the warranty being non-transferable. In some other forums users complained about Fuji not repairing their X100 because they bought it used even though at that time all X100s were less than a year old so they were covered under the warranty.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Rontalvos posted:

All you x100 users out there, is a sandisk class 10 30mb/sec ultra card fast enough to make the camera not freak out and take forever starting up? or should I get something faster?

http://mobile.dailysteals.com/ $13 for a 16gb class 10 sandisk ultra. deal is good for 19 hrs.

Edit: I found this on deals.woot.com and a few people are reporting problems with dailysteals. Grain of salt I guess.

Question still stands for x100 owners though!

I would just go for the 95mb/s SanDisk Extreme (or other faster cards), there was a little bit of improvement between the 45mb/s version that I have and the 95mb/s version (not worth the upgrade though if you do have the 45mb/s version, I just needed another card). Anything to keep the camera locked up for less time is worth it in my opinion.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I would have loved to see a 1.4x teleconverter to get a nice 50mm equiv. focal length rather than the wider angle, but really it's great to see Fuji still still bringing out the updates on a somewhat regular basis.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Yes I know but does that work the other way around?

Does a 50mm f3.5 35mm lens become 25mm f3.5 on m4/3? Or 50mm f7?

If you mount a lens made for the 35mm film format (AKA 'full frame') on a M4/3 sensor, in your example the 50mm lens, it "becomes" a 100mm lens equivalent with respect to the 35mm film format. It's not that the focal length actually changes, a 50mm lens is still a 50mm lens no matter what format it's mounted on, but depending on the size of the format behind the lens (M4/3, crop sensor, full frame) it will have a different field of view.

Crop factors only really make sense if you want to relate everything to the 35mm film format. I just use crop factors to understand what is the 'normal' focal length with respect to the format then go from there. For example, on the 35mm film format the normal is considered 50mm, correspondingly the normal focal length for the M4/3 format would be 25mm because it has a 2x crop factor.

mes fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 16, 2012

mes
Apr 28, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Right. I though that by "converting" m4/3 lenses focal lenght to 35mm equiv. you had to do the same for 35mm to m4/3 but the other way around. Turns out it's the same. (Makes sense, but it's hard to get your head 'round these things for the first time).

So the aperture ratio (f-number) does not get multiplied by the crop factor? What does happen then because presumably you are only getting half the light the lens is putting out? Or is it just that your FOV changes and the same amount of light is hitting the sensor, only a crop of the FF image the lens produces?

From my understanding, you're correct on the bold part. That's why old, fast primes are still desirable.

e: To make it clear, the crop factor has nothing to do with the f-number.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Some guy got his X100 wrecked with a ton of (salt)water damage and takes it apart. A good look into the components that go into the camera:

http://www.jamesmaherphotography.com/photoblog_view_post/767-taking-apart-the-fuji-x100

mes
Apr 28, 2006

It's just a half stop between f/2.0 and f/2.8, which isn't common in modern lenses but I have a fixed lens film rangefinder which goes to f/1.7.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Manual focus on the X100 (and Xpro 1, at least through the native X-mount lenses) is by wire rather than directly through the lens, so there's a bit of lag when you adjust the ring on the lens to when the focus actually shifts. The cameras really aren't built for manual focus, especially not through the optical view finder.

I recently took my X100 on my trip to Hawaii and it was great because I was able to take it everywhere with me and it never felt like it was weighing me down at all. For me it was the perfect vacation camera because it allowed me to not worry too much about lugging a bunch of gear around with me and just enjoy the drat trip/experience and still get 'DSLR quality' photos because of the sensor.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Im That One Guy posted:

To be honest I find the price a bit hard to believe seeing how some sites are billing this as a cheaper X-Pro 1 and the camera below that, the X100, is still $1200

Yeah I can't imagine that it would be under the price of an X100, or $1200. Unless putting in that hybrid/interchangeable optical and electronic viewfinder is the bulk of the cost of manufacturing the camera.

e: However, if the rumored prices are correct, this is going to give Sony a run for their money, especially with that lens road map from Fuji.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Fiannaiocht posted:

Don't show me this. X100s will still be valuable because they're the first of their kind right?

Well they'll still be valuable to people that want to shoot with an optical viewfinder.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Aargh posted:

Yeah one of these, the 18-55 and the 30mm might just be my next camera. Anyone know how a canon 580ex flash would go on the hotshoe?

Unless the camera uses a proprietary hotshoe mount (like Sony), all modern flashes should be able to mount to whatever camera regardless of the brand, TTL-metering is another story though.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't buy into a system, just a camera rather (the X100) and the biggest differences or trade-offs was the AF speed and different types of optical viewfinder. The XPro 1 (and the X100) offer the EVF as well as the OVF so that helps when you need to frame something more critically, but that doesn't really replace looking through the lens like you would with a SLR for me personally.

Ultimately it was worth it to me because I took more pictures with my camera just because I was more willing to take my camera out with me rather than leaving it in a bag at home.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Aargh posted:

I've already bought the X-Pro 1, had it about a month and love it. I've just kept my old 40D kicking around as its got a Tamron 17-50 on it and I occasionally have to shoot exhibitions and events for work. What I'm thinking is to sell the 40D, 17-50, 50 1.8, Batteries cards the lot (tho keep my speedlight) and use the money to either pick up the new 14mm or the new 18-55, then grab the 10-24 the it comes out.

Doh, I thought you didn't have the XPro 1 yet. It sounds like you're just asking the internet permission for what you have set in your mind to do anyway. You can probably try shooting with the XPro 1 for work and see if that works out for you to begin with.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

I got a Nex-3 but I hate not having a viewfinder. I am sort of a n00b when it comes to these sort of things but I have been thinking of going for the x100. I am not really big on photographer, I would like to ease into it and I need a camera that doesn't draw a lot of attention and I can keep in my satchel bag.

I would like to be able to take a lot of photos that blur out the background (aperature?) Is it easy to swap lenses with Fuji? I was hoping maybe going with Cannon so when I switch over to a real DSLR, I could keep the lenses.

Like what Helicity said above, the X100 is a fixed lens camera, rather than being interchangeable. With mirrorless cameras, there's two different options for view finders, Electronic Viewfinders (EVFs) that essentially show you what you would see in the back of your LCD screen or Optical Viewfinder (OVFs) which are what you would get with a DSLR.

Fuji makes the XPro-1 and the X100 which gives an OVF with actual information in it (like shutter speed, aperture, etc) rather than just being a dumb window with framing lines. There are a few different camera makers that have EVFs built into their cameras now, Olympus' OM-D or Sony's NEX7 are good examples. Depending on what type of viewfinder you would want on your camera would actually narrow things down quite a bit.

e: Seeings as though you want to ease more into photography, it would probably be in your best interest to go down to a camera store and try a few different cameras out.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

TLG James posted:

Would an EVF help with sunny days? That is the biggest downfall on my e-pm1. It's hard as gently caress to see what I'm taking a photo of if it's super bright out because of the glare.

Absolutely, though it's basically the same thing as looking at the LCD screen but through a hole.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

eXXon posted:

I don't really understand the point of EVFs for modern digital cameras. What are you getting out of them that you wouldn't from just looking at the screen? Especially considering how nice articulated, bright LED screens can look.

I'd rather have an EVF rather than no viewfinder given the choice. It obviously doesn't bother a lot of people, but I don't like shooting on the back of the LCD in most circumstances.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't use my X100 that much over the summer, but one day I picked it up to mess with it for a bit and switched it to the EVF and found that a bug some how crawled into it and blocked part of the EVF display. It was odd because the bug didn't block the OVF at all, but somehow got stuck in the actual part that popped up in the viewfinder. Luckily, the camera was still in warranty and was fixed for free, but still.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Overture posted:

I'm considering grabbing a Fuji X100 used that is in mint condition with around 10k photos taken on it from a trustworthy friend who owns too many cameras. Comes with the $100 brown leather case as well, all for $800.

I know everyone raves about this camera, so unless there is something else I should be looking at right now (the X-E1 caught my eye as well) I'm guessing this is likely the best bang for my buck? I've owned a few Nikon DSLRs back in the day and an assortment of prime lenses but hated the hassle of changing them, and honestly they were just an excuse to buy something new. I primarily enjoy shooting still life, portraits, landscapes, and just around the city shots (I live in San Francisco and walk everywhere).

Thoughts?

I took my X100 with me to Hawaii over the summer this year when I went on vacation with my family and I think it's really good travel camera because it's so drat small and light it got out of the way from being able to enjoy the vacation itself. Personally, I think the 35mm (equivalent) focal length does pretty well for you want to do with it, (still life, portraits etc), I find it to be the perfect one lens set up. If you can deal with being stuck with one focal length with the camera, I can't really recommend this camera enough.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

RustedChrome posted:

I took mine to Japan last Fall and most of my best pics were made with the X100. I'm gonna miss it. :(

Why? Because I put a deposit on the RX1 today. Same focal length, a little smaller, a lot more expensive but the image quality makes me drool. I never should have played with it at the PDN Photo Plus Expo a few weeks back. :cry: :fh:

RX1 is definitely interesting, but more expensive and no built in view finder makes it an easy pass for me.

e: For that kind of money I'd just go with the XPro1.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently Amazon is having a deal where if you buy an X-Pro1 with either the 35mm or 18mm, there's an automatic $300 rebate at the time of purchase making the whole setup $1700.

I just took advantage of it after returning my Hasselblad outfit. :yaycloud:

mes
Apr 28, 2006

X-Pro1 with 35mm came in today! Some first impressions, my perspective being that I've been using an X100 for over a year now:

• The camera is slightly longer than the X100, but not much thicker or taller, the biggest difference being that the lens sticks out more. Also, the weight is surprisingly similar between the two cameras.
  • Better dials/buttons on the X-Pro1, way better rear dial then that stupid thing on the back of the X100 that you'd have to flick in order to change some of the settings.
  • The aperture ring on the lens doesn't really have nice solid click when changing the settings, it's not really a big deal but I just found it quite odd when handeling it. I do like that it clicks in 1/3 stops now as compared to the X100 which was full stops, where you'd have to use one of the dials in the back after using the ring in the front in order to adjust by 1/3 stops.
  • The viewfinder looks a bit smaller than the X100's, it's still bright an clear though.
  • AF speed feels noticeably faster, not only that, but it seems that it'll have an easier time focusing on closer items even with the OVF.

Overall, it really feels like a beefed up X100, lots of performance tweaks and still has the same quirks.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I finally found time to actually go shoot with the X-Pro1 and I'm really liking the results that I'm getting with the 35mm, it kind of flares like crazy though even with the hood.

Imperial Beach by jemuelb, on Flickr

mes fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 23, 2012

mes
Apr 28, 2006

http://photorumors.com/2013/01/04/more-fuji-x100s-and-x20-details-and-specs/#more-36938

Apparently the new X100 will be called the X100s. Improved AF with hybrid contrast/phase detection, with improved EVF among other improvements; should also have an Xtrans sensor like the X-Pro 1 and X-E1. Official announcement should be coming this Monday (the 7th) though.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Take a look here at these specials starting on Feb. 7th for Fuji X-Mount stuff:

http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php?/topic/7501-fujifilm-x-camera-and-lens-specials-starting-feb-7/

It's essentially the same deal they had with the X-Pro1 (save $300 if you buy the body with a lens) but with the X-E1, or the X-Pro1 with zoom lens plus additional discounts if you but additional lenses at the same time.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

ChirreD posted:

X/E-1 / X-Pro1 and X100 owners:
Since I rarely use my DSLR and use my X100 a ton, I want to swap the DSLR for an X-Pro1 or X-E1.
Do you still use the X100 after getting the X-Pro1 or X-E1?
Also I can't decide between the X-E1 and X-Pro1. Lots of extra money for the optical and no Flash.
I'm afraid the X100 will collect dust after getting the X-E1, size wise they're the same with a pancake lens. the X-Pro1 is a more serious size in that regard, but I don't like big bulk (like the DSLR).

Any advice?

If you're favorite part of the X100 is the OVF, then definitely get the X-Pro1, however the OVF on the X-Pro1 is noticeably smaller than the X100 but it's still just as bright; I believe the EVF of the X-E1 is much better than the X-Pro1 but I never really looked into it. The X-Pro1 is noticeably larger than the X100 in regards of the body size, but it's not that much larger, the major difference is that the lens juts out way more and is larger (at least with the 35mm), the odd thing is that the weight is still similar.

I'd say try to decide if you really like the OVF and get the 35mm f/1.4 with whatever body you choose.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

ChirreD posted:

Thanks for the info!
So I suppose the X-E1 and X100 are a good marriage?

It can be, but that depends if the 35mm (equiv.) focal length of the X100 is starting to feel restrictive to you. I used the X100 exclusively for about a year as my digital camera, so a part of the reason why I bought the X-Pro1 was because I wanted to use different focal lengths rather than to get the performance buffs.

Malcolm XML posted:

The EVF on the xpro is not that great, at least compared to the NEX line or the XE-1. It's useful in low-light situations though but gets thoroughly blown out outdoors. The OVF owns in virtually all situations and only takes a few shots to get used to the framelines (but with large lenses you'll still want to go EVF).

Honestly I would just stick with the x100 unless you really need 35mm.

I don't really like EVFs so I never really tried to use it on the X-Pro1, then again I don't think I've used a camera with a really good one.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

:v:

Well that's good news. Out of curiosity, was your camera out of the 1 year warranty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

district 12 posted:

A question for the x100 owners. I found one on CL for $500 with goodies like lens hood and extra battery whatever but the ad says it was put on a wet counter, absorbed moisture and now the back screen has a dark part and the down button is mostly unresponsive on the scroll wheel. Owner says it works fine and continued shooting with it after this. Is it worth it? Obviously I'd play with it before I hande over the money but is it worth even going to check out? How much damage would it have done to it for the screen to have ended up like that? It seems a little weird but I mean x100 for $500 piqued my interest for sure.

That really doesn't sound like a great deal at all, it looks like the going rate for a used X100 is around $700 on eBay, a little less on this forum's BST. I'd just be worried about the reliability of the camera long term.