Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Nione posted:

I've only recently started getting seriously into decent coffee, my brother is a barista and after listening to him sperg for years about it, we've finally started working on a decent set up. I live in St. Louis, so for any of you nearby who are interested, Kaldi's is far and away the best local roaster that I know of. AND they do free cuppings once a month where you can go and taste their different blends and learn a LOT about coffee.

So far we've got a hand-me-down blade grinder and a new Bodum Chambord and the quality of the coffee I'm making is far and away better than anything I've done before. A burr grinder will be our next purchase and eventually I'd like a pour over setup like my brother has, but as of right now I don't have time to spend in the mornings to do that, I'm usually running late trying to put makeup on while listening for the 4-minute timer for the press.

I'm trying to find a type of coffee that I had at the Kaldi's cupping. It's not a Kaldi's coffee, it was one of their 'guest' coffees that they bring in to compare and contrast with their own roasts. I don't want to call them and ask because of the fact that it's not their coffee (which I drink daily, but want to have some of this as well). It was African, I believe single origin, I believe Kenya, in a pale green/blue package with a view of a floral landscape? The coffee was extremely light, very fruity, very acidic, absolutely delicious, and I believe is pretty expensive. I know the package said something about blackberry notes. So coffee fans, does that ring any bells?

Also, for those of you with manual grinders... my brother has a manual grinder and him and his wife gave me their old blade grinder. He loves hand grinding his coffee, but his wife, not so much. He discovered that if he unscrews the handle on top (the part that turns), it's an exact fit for his power drill. So he keeps his drill on the kitchen counter with the 'coffee stuff' and every morning his wife gets up and 'drill grinds' her coffee beans. It's pretty awesome, actually.

I'm from St Louis too and will second the Kaldi's recommendation. I've only had one or two bad experiences with their beans/coffee and I think it was just from being stale. They do it right, to be sure.

Other than Kaldi's I've really enjoyed some blends from Just Coffee Co-op and they do a good job discussing the sources of their beans (http://www.justcoffee.coop/). And they're pretty loving cheap, even with shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Nione posted:

If you ever have a Friday afternoon off, I highly recommend going to a cupping at the roastery, it's a great way to sample all their best coffees as well as a real learning experience. They had 2-3 different 'days' of each of their coffees and it was pretty cool to be able to taste the difference in coffee roasted on one day compared to another. Plus, we got to see their brand new roaster and get a tour of their operations. It's free, too, so you really can't beat that.

What's funny is that their roastery is right down the street practically from Ronnoco... talk about night and day!

Living up in Kirksville at the moment, but I'll definitely try to make it down to one over the summer maybe. Is it every week?

ninja edit: I've had some okay cups of Ronnoco too, to be fair, but they really lose quality control with all the gas stations that serve their coffee.