Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Great OP!

I love my coffee, but I will be the first to admit that I'm a household coffee novice. That being said, my favorite trick for french press coffee is to take a paper filter and wrap it around the plunger. The filter is thin enough to barely impede the progress of the plunger and it produces a surprisingly clear cup with pretty much no sediment. However, as Gravity said, the paper does absorb a bit of the oils, but it's not enough for me to really notice. Your mileage may vary, depending on how sensitive your coffee palette is.

The manual espresso machine really intrigues me; is it worth getting if I'm a home espresso newbie? I love me espresso, but I've never encountered anything but the cheapo, horrid home espresso machines outside of a coffeeshop. I have a burr grinder that's not the best, but okay enough for french press/pour over coffee, so if a manual espresso machine is not too hard to learn, I'd love to try one out. Also, does anyone have any experience with used manual espresso machines? Even though they're cheaper than decent automatics, >$500 is still too much for me to just jump in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
My cheapo Krupps grinder is definitely nowhere espresso quality, I see. Would it be worth running a manual espresso machine with preground espresso? Or is the quality hit so large that I should just try and score a deal on craigslist for both a grinder and a maker?