Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«174 »
isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

How do I get rid of ants?

Also why do I have ants?

I had 0, then over the course of 48 hours I now see like 5 at any given time.

And they are all in the bathroom.

My cooking/eating behavior hasn’t changed recently so it’s not like there’s a bunch of crumbs. And I don’t eat in the bathroom.

You probably want to sit down and figure out their search pattern, maybe there's a sweet soap or something they're getting into. I've also heard that bathroom ants means it's time to get tested for diabetes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Terro liquid ant baits. They increase for a time, then disappear. Put them as close to the entry as possible unless you want your tiles to get mobbed.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Depends on the ants. Could be raspberry ants that just kinda migrate places and there isnít a whole lot you can do

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

tolko zhaesh, poshli ikh na X
ne umru ya, moi drug, nikogda!

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

How do I get rid of ants?

Also why do I have ants?

I had 0, then over the course of 48 hours I now see like 5 at any given time.

If you live in an area with dense, older, apartment buildings, the why is probably "there's a shitton of construction that ants have been finding ways through and into for decades, and some new colony has found a path that involves your apartment". Room doesn't really matter, it's just some area that they found a small ingress hole. At least here in the SF Bay Area I'm basically guaranteed to get a few ants searching after rain, and they sometimes find enough stuff of interest that they decide to patrol more regularly.

I've found that Fipronil-based ant poisons are quite effective: they allow a quantity of the chemical to build up in the colony's food store and eventually reach the queen, and once the queen is dead, that particular colony dies and patrols come no more, which usually means no more ants on that route. Combat gel usually stops them in 24h or so. If you can find a high-traffic route, place it on some solid, flat disposable surface (old plastic insurance cards work well) in their path and they should be gone in a day or so. You can put it directly on tile or whatever, card is just to make it easier to clean up after they're gone.

In non-ant apartment concerns, I'm trying to make my coronavirus WFH space more livable in summer: I live in an old bay area apartment from the time before climate change, and its main construction design goals were retaining heat in our "winter". This well-insulated apartment quite effectively retains heat, and tends to settle at 10-20 degrees above the outdoor temperature--outside might be 90-110 for an hour or so, but indoor temps will happily climb to that and stay there til 8pm and after (when outdoor temps have dropped anywhere between 75-55). There's plenty of cooler air around but I just can't get it inside.

Fans should be able to handle this pretty well, but the architects of the 60s went all-in on big windows everywhere, and most of my windows are 45-50in tall horizontal sliders. The tallest window fans I've found cap out at around 38in and don't fill the space. I can sorta cobble together a shield with the blinds, but ideally I'd like to have something that fills the entire space so that I can set up proper airflow channels. Are there any fans that will fit these things? There are some shields for portable AC units that look like they'd cover the entire area, but I'd prefer to just blast cool fresh air through the place if possible.

«174 »