Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

So I'm moving to a high rent city that nevertheless looks like it has quite a bit of apartment capacity downtown to fill. These are massive, corporate owned "luxury" complexes with studios and 1BRs that go for 1.7k to 2k+. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience cutting deals with places like these to get lower rent. Negotiation tactics, that kind of thing. I know this is America and renting an apartment isn't like buying a car (although I doubt haggling even plays much into car purchases anymore), but these places want bodies in rooms, I would assume. And this is a boomtown that if anything, is going to have people leaving if a recession hits next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That will generally be impossible with any sort of corporate management company. On site staff will not typically be empowered to cut deals with individual applicants. Doing so could also raise fair housing questions. Additionally, prices these days are often set by computer in those sorts of places.

You could potentially get a mom and pop type landlord to negotiate with you, but they’re not typically the ones owning luxury apartment communities.

You may be able to find an individual condo for lease and counter offering on the rent wouldn’t be a surprising thing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

So I'm moving to a high rent city that nevertheless looks like it has quite a bit of apartment capacity downtown to fill. These are massive, corporate owned "luxury" complexes with studios and 1BRs that go for 1.7k to 2k+. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience cutting deals with places like these to get lower rent. Negotiation tactics, that kind of thing. I know this is America and renting an apartment isn't like buying a car (although I doubt haggling even plays much into car purchases anymore), but these places want bodies in rooms, I would assume. And this is a boomtown that if anything, is going to have people leaving if a recession hits next year.
If it's anything like Seattle, they care more about not setting the precedent of a lower rent than they care about units being empty. And like Flash Gordon Ramsay said, their prices are likely set by software, not the manager, who is unlikely to be empowered to do any negotiating. Most of the people moving into those apartments don't really have price entering into their equation. Also, expect them to jack up your rent ~15% the first year.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've had a slow leak in my apartment that will finally get fixed this week... Maybe. We'll see if the contractors actually do anything. Its through the concrete on the outside courtyard. Its a building from 1983. Its a rental only building with a concierge, for what that's worth.

I can deal with the water itself, and the hole in the floor. But my question is how likely is mold?
I've been running the dehumidifier as much as I can tolerate since it was discovered in early november.

Someone I know is bugging me to get one of those mold detector air purifiers, but as I understand they only detect PM2.5?

Jurisdiction is Metro Vancouver, BC.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:stare:

https://twitter.com/ArtemTepler/status/1627845363901288452?s=20

https://twitter.com/ArtemTepler/status/1627849113147707394?s=20

https://twitter.com/ArtemTepler/status/1627847855003271168?s=20

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
I had a weird experience when looking for places a while back where a place was put up for rent and the tour was a self-service thing run by a website where you got a code online and grabbed the keys off a lockbox. That didn't seem overly disconcerting, but the place was listed for a rent that was 20-30% lower than what I would've expected for the region, had a pretty inaccurate square foot estimate from the listing, and a variety of these printouts talking about how everything was handled via property management and "you'll never have to meet the owners" type language.

I was too put-off from that experience to even make an application on it, figuring it just had to be too good to be true and that it was some sort of weird scam. It did seem like it was linked to some kind of legitimate site / property management system though which left me uncertain. Now that I've been looking at places again I've come across a few listings that seem kind of similar and I'm wondering if I was just wrong or if there's a pattern with scams targeting people with appealing rentals.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Nanomachine Son posted:

I had a weird experience when looking for places a while back where a place was put up for rent and the tour was a self-service thing run by a website where you got a code online and grabbed the keys off a lockbox. That didn't seem overly disconcerting, but the place was listed for a rent that was 20-30% lower than what I would've expected for the region, had a pretty inaccurate square foot estimate from the listing, and a variety of these printouts talking about how everything was handled via property management and "you'll never have to meet the owners" type language.

I was too put-off from that experience to even make an application on it, figuring it just had to be too good to be true and that it was some sort of weird scam. It did seem like it was linked to some kind of legitimate site / property management system though which left me uncertain. Now that I've been looking at places again I've come across a few listings that seem kind of similar and I'm wondering if I was just wrong or if there's a pattern with scams targeting people with appealing rentals.

Fairly likely that they booked the place for a short "vacation" through airbnb.
That fits with the lockbox idea and will lead to properties that have been made appealing at no cost to the scammer.

You rent a house for a week for $300. Have twenty showings lined up to rent it for $1500 a month.
Half of them flake out because they suspect something (like you did).
The others, you all tell 'Congrats, you got the house. Pay me the first month's rent and a safety deposit'
Half of them flake out at that stage, but it's still a cool $15k payday on a $300 investment, and no one can find you

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

EricBauman posted:

Fairly likely that they booked the place for a short "vacation" through airbnb.
That fits with the lockbox idea and will lead to properties that have been made appealing at no cost to the scammer.

You rent a house for a week for $300. Have twenty showings lined up to rent it for $1500 a month.
Half of them flake out because they suspect something (like you did).
The others, you all tell 'Congrats, you got the house. Pay me the first month's rent and a safety deposit'
Half of them flake out at that stage, but it's still a cool $15k payday on a $300 investment, and no one can find you

The place wasn’t furnished which made me question the AirBnB thing. I’m sure that’s still possible though with enough effort to clean a place up. Makes me wish there was a more obvious place to check if a given address was a AirBnB since I’ve also had a bad time living in apartments where the neighbor unit is one.

I still wonder if it was potentially legit and the owner messed up with the incorrect space estimate and whatever service was handling it went off that.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Everyone loves exposed brick walls, right? :q:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Bit of a specific request, but I'm moving soon and need to pack up my PC for car transport. Finding boxes shouldn't be too terribly hard, but where can I get some styrofoam blocks large enough I can cut to shape for padding?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Beeb posted:

Bit of a specific request, but I'm moving soon and need to pack up my PC for car transport. Finding boxes shouldn't be too terribly hard, but where can I get some styrofoam blocks large enough I can cut to shape for padding?

I've got some premade foam corner blocks that are perfect for that sort of thing if you want 'em. Either cut a box to fit or use bubble wrap to fill in the extra space in the box from there?

fake edit: Basically these things.

real edit: Barring that, your local Home Despot should have sheet foam or be able to get it for you.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 24, 2023

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Cassius Belli posted:

I've got some premade foam corner blocks that are perfect for that sort of thing if you want 'em. Either cut a box to fit or use bubble wrap to fill in the extra space in the box from there?

fake edit: Basically these things.

Oh these look perfect, thanks :toot:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Far far more important: Remove any heavy swinging masses (GPU, large CPU coolers) from the motherboard.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Yeah I knew to yank the GPU, glad I kept the box for that. The CPU cooler is a big one too, but apparently that's more of an issue for the factory coolers that have really flimsy attachment points?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Beeb posted:

Yeah I knew to yank the GPU, glad I kept the box for that. The CPU cooler is a big one too, but apparently that's more of an issue for the factory coolers that have really flimsy attachment points?

No. If you have a cooler that weighs basically anything noticeable, when it gets jostled around, it'll literally be yanking on the attachment points something fierce and possibly damaging the motherboard.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

Far far more important: Remove any heavy swinging masses (GPU, large CPU coolers) from the motherboard.

Wish I had thought to do this the last three times I've moved. Lol

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I've never done that when I moved, including a cross-country move with like 5 computers, so it's not like it's guaranteed to gently caress you. You should still probably do it though.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Moving along with stuff, gonna be pulling the heatsink and fan. What should I do about some old platter drives I've got? Anti static bag and some bubble wrap?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Beeb posted:

What should I do about some old platter drives I've got? Anti static bag and some bubble wrap?

Anti-static is good, but for padding, I think you want something denser, like egg crate foam.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
So I think it’s time to replace my 17 year old mattress. What’s the smart bfc savvy goon move? Not poor just cheap

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
My partner and I finally caved and bought a king Casper with the cooling material when it was 20% off - no regrets whatsoever and I love going to bed at night now. Best of all is that the bed is large enough and the memory foam isolates movement so whoever you're sleeping with won't get disturbed.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Otis Reddit posted:

So I think it’s time to replace my 17 year old mattress. What’s the smart bfc savvy goon move? Not poor just cheap

Go lay on mattresses until you find some you like.

KIEFGIVER
Jun 16, 2023

by vyelkin
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, I'll delete if its not.

I'm a 34 year goony gently caress who's been living at home my whole life. I had a lovely job for a long time but was unemployed for a few years due to COVID. My mental health was destroyed for a while, but now I have job now and am moving out for the first time. I do know how to cook and am able to use some tools. I'd appreciate some tips and things you wish you knew your first time.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

KIEFGIVER posted:

I'd appreciate some tips and things you wish you knew your first time.
I'll interpret that broadly and focusing on renting, though I'm not sure from your post if that's your situation.

- Set aside an emergency fund — ideally at least 3 months worth of typical expenses to guard against the unexpected
- A walkable, bikeable, and transit-accessible neighborhood can save money and headache — though it might present a higher up front cost and can be hard to find, a place that enables you to minimize or even eliminate the need for a car can garner significant savings on fuel, maintenance, insurance, and incidental fees
- Getting roommates can save you a lot of money, but consider figuring out the personal, arbitrary dollar value you'd give living alone to weigh this against — living with roommates can be great for a lot of reasons and some people actually prefer it overall. If that's not you, though, give thought to how much living solo would be worth to you, if only to inform your priorities
- Don't hesitate to leave a bad situation — It's not your fault if you get stuck with bad roommates/neighbors/landlords and end up in an irreconcilable situation. Prioritize your mental health and fall back on your support network and/or emergency fund if you need to.
- Explore the assistance options available to you — there's a number of organizations looking out for renters, beyond the mere monetary. If you have a local tenant's union, they can advise you on challenges you might have with a landlord
- Be prepared for an emergency — FEMA has a pretty good checklist, but, to summarize: validate that your home's safety equipment (alarms, extinguishers, etc.) is functional and non-expired; keep a week's stock of water and non-perishable foods; have a plan for responding to the disasters most relevant to where you live (snow storm, wildfire, hurricane, normal fire, etc.)

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 21, 2023

KIEFGIVER
Jun 16, 2023

by vyelkin
My bad I should've left more info. Fortunately, I have a dear family member who will gifting me by paying the deposit. I make $2600/month (after taxes) and my rent will be $1000 and probably $200-ish for bills (extremely high estimation) for a studio apartment. I work from home and I own an ebike. There's also groceries stores nearby. I realize I am in a way better position than most people, its just that I'm starting to freakout while I realize I need to call and connect utilities.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I highly recommend meal prep on Sundays, I recently got into it and I don't know why I didn't get my act together earlier. Just buy the containers off of Amazon and once you do it for 3 weeks you'll have it down to almost a science. No more figuring out what you're going to cook during the week, everything is portioned out and pre-cooked so you just throw those suckers in the microwave and you're good.

Also, now that you're out on your own you should try to participate in something social to gain a sense of community - a lot of cities have adult kickball or sports leagues you can join, even if its for a casual game during the week. Also, if you haven't already made a budget that is one of the first things you should do - write down all your weekly and monthly expenses and then do the math to determine how much you can save and then set an allocation/autodraft on your bank account so it goes to a savings account that you don't touch unless its an emergency.

Finally, buy whole foods instead of processed foods when you go grocery shopping - it is way cheaper and healthier to buy boneless skinless chicken breasts and cook them yourself than to buy a prepackaged bag of breaded crap from Purdue.

KIEFGIVER
Jun 16, 2023

by vyelkin
Very excited to try meal-prepping. Sorry to e/n this place up, but I'm finally getting away from a lovely home and unstable family. I already dropped off the first two boxes and don't have too much more to pack. I threw out 20+ years of crap and it felt so good. Finally able to have a savings account, 401k, invest, etc. Good luck to everyone out there, its very exciting times.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Have you actually priced out all the bills? $200 is not extremely high, it’s quite low. I’m in a higher COL area but I’m not sure how much these vary based on location —

Electricity and gas $75-150 (for a studio) depending on season (I pay for AC but heating is totally free, ymmv)
Internet $40 (actually really low)
Renter’s insurance $20ish
Digital subscriptions $25

Other things you might pay for: trash service, heat, water, sewer, gym, cell phone, cable, additional digital subscriptions, health insurance, medical costs, food, toiletries, about half a dozen different car bills, or public transit

I think it can be done, I just would be surprised if $200 covered all utilities, let alone all bills

KIEFGIVER
Jun 16, 2023

by vyelkin
Yeah lol, I jumped the gun at $200. I actually signed up for all the utilities a couple days after that post.

Electricity - will know after first bill but probably $150+
Internet - $75 (cell phone included)
Gas - will know after first bill, but in the home I'm leaving its usually $30. I live in a hot climate so don't need to use heater.
Water - free
Hulu/Disney+ - $20

Still doable and fine for me

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

KIEFGIVER posted:

Very excited to try meal-prepping. Sorry to e/n this place up, but I'm finally getting away from a lovely home and unstable family. I already dropped off the first two boxes and don't have too much more to pack. I threw out 20+ years of crap and it felt so good. Finally able to have a savings account, 401k, invest, etc. Good luck to everyone out there, its very exciting times.
If you're fairly fresh to all this, definitely go check out the Newbie Personal Finance thread in BFC, review the OP, and feel free to toss out any questions you have. The Long Term Investment & Retirement thread would also be a good idea, though a lower priority.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How are people finding apartments nowadays? Is there a go-to website because the last time I did this I think I used Craigslist, nearly a decade ago.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Boris Galerkin posted:

How are people finding apartments nowadays? Is there a go-to website because the last time I did this I think I used Craigslist, nearly a decade ago.

I’ve had decent luck with Zillow and Zumper. Their communication tools are useless for getting anyone to respond to you though. I just end up scouting places I like and calling them directly.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Last I looked, it varied depending on the city. I think for Seattle it's still craigslist.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

KIEFGIVER posted:

When I was first getting out on my own I found the book Low Budget Vegetarian (available as a free pdf at the author's site) really useful. It's partly a cookbook and partly tips on shopping, meal planning, and cooking without a recipe efficiently. I'm not vegetarian and it was still very helpful for me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Esme posted:

When I was first getting out on my own I found the book Low Budget Vegetarian (available as a free pdf at the author's site) really useful. It's partly a cookbook and partly tips on shopping, meal planning, and cooking without a recipe efficiently. I'm not vegetarian and it was still very helpful for me.
Yeah that book is great. Another good resource is this thread which in a lot of ways has lots of advice similar to that book.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I got a fun one.

There was a massive gently caress-up by an Amazon employee to my account. The tldr is they didn't mare a large return as returned, so loan company was waiting for payments that were never going to come. It's getting resolved but not quickly.

How reasonable is it to think that if I can show my financial documents which are healthy and robust enough to cover the entire lease in one lump sum without really denting me. I also have documentation of the gently caress-up and a note that they are working with 2 of the 3 reporting companies to resolve this.

I just got word that I need to vacate my place by the 2nd so I grabbed an airbnb for a month but I'm nervous about my report.. Otherwise I could get almost any apartment that isn't a highrise on the water, facing the water, here in San Diego.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nanomachine Son posted:

I’ve had decent luck with Zillow and Zumper. Their communication tools are useless for getting anyone to respond to you though. I just end up scouting places I like and calling them directly.

Ham Equity posted:

Last I looked, it varied depending on the city. I think for Seattle it's still craigslist.

Seems like CL is still the goto for here too except there are a lot of obvious fake places. Like this one I’m looking at right now is copy pasted from other listings with the name changed and they all say I can’t tour the place beforehand.

There’s another place I found that doesn’t immediately trip my bullshit detector but the person that responded to my email gave me his name and introduced him as the property manager, but his name doesn’t come up on general google search or on LinkedIn so I dunno about this.

I should have started searching earlier.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 30, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

And here it is, the place I liked is also a scam.

quote:

We are receiving a lot of interest in this unit. If you would like to secure a showing the landlord asks for a security deposit and first months rent up front. This amount will be fully refunded if you are not satisfied with the unit after the showing.

Yeah sure buddy.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does anyone have experience doing a monthly rental on Airbnb? It seems like this is the easiest route with the least amount of stress involved but the places I’m looking at says they only approve people for at minimum 3 months stay with discounts for longer durations (6+ months). Airbnb says I’d be paying X amount every month instead of all up front. I’m wondering if I could just nope out of it after a couple of months after finding a real apartment to rent and just not pay for the months I didn’t stay.

I mean I’ll get a bad review on Airbnb but if I don’t care? I’m not gonna get dinged on my credit score or whatever for breaking an Airbnb rental agreement am I?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Recommendations for services that will pick up furniture from your home for donations?

I'm moving and don't need a bunch of my furniture. Seems like a big waste to just 1-800-junk it or whatever.

I've also tried lowering the price of the furniture to what seems comically low, but still haven't had any takers.