Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
To add to the renters insurance stuff: I'm a graduate research assistant making less than 2k a month and I got a $15,000 policy from allstate that covers everything but floods and earthquakes for $94 for a year. Very worth the peace of mind. I did it all over the phone in 15 minutes, just had to answer a few questions about my apartment (about how old it is, how many units are in the building, does it have a fire extinguisher/smoke detector/etc) and my policy was active as soon as I paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I was under the impression that the security deposit was paid when a lease was signed. Never heard of one being used as a waiting list entry fee.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

grumperfish posted:

E: They only have Comcast here, so while I was looking at picking up Uverse like I had at my old place (name wasn't on the contract thankfully), I ended up getting a CC internet-only business account, with Netflix if we want to watch movies or whatever. Didn't seem worth paying for cable since we don't really watch much TV, although I've considered picking up a digital OTA receiver just in case we need TV for local news or whatever.

Thanks for the great OP and the thread in general. :glomp:

Try plugging your TV directly into the wall outlet anyway, you might be able to still get local channels because laws prohibit cable companies from requiring a box to view local channels that you can get for free with an antenna.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

vonnegutt posted:

More moving tips:

-Go to the liquor store for boxes. They're reinforced and a good size - easy to carry but still hold a lot of stuff. Do not pack giant boxes, they will be a pain in the rear end every step of the way.

Something I learned just last week, go on Friday afternoon to get boxes, they always have a ton of new ones that day, for obvious reasons. I called ahead on Thursday to see if they had a few and the guy said that he will have a ton after Friday's shelving sessions.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Anyone have any recommendations for getting cat (pee) smell out of a place? Or any products. Previous tenant had at least 3 cats. Luckily the whole place is hardwood.