Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
One good one I don't think I've seen mentioned:

LEARN YOUR LOCAL AND STATE TENANT'S LAWS!

Some places have lovely ones and favor the landlord (sorry...) but other places (like where I live) are very renter friendly. Some typical laws you might encounter include things like how much notice they have to give before they evict you, and how much notice for them to just stop by (typically 24 hours...NEVER let your landlord just "pop in" ever. I don't care if you're not doing anything illegal or breaking the lease, odds are they'll find something to bitch about.) Also look very deep into laws about the security deposit...what the limit is (typically 1 to 2 months rent is the max,) what they can and can't charge you for, how long after you move out they have to get it back to you, etc...

Speaking of getting it back, it seems to be common for lots of people to consider their SD to be a loss, and that every landlord everywhere will nickle and dime you to keep all of it anyway, so you might as well assume it's lost and treat your place like poo poo/not care if you break something. Most of these people are idiots. Even in non-tenant friendly locales, there are going to be rules regarding what a landlord can/cannot charge you for. Simple wear and tear generally they cannot. If you live in a place for five years and a landlord keeps all your deposit because the carpet is worn done near the entryway and he has to replace all of it, that's probably BS. It just amazes me that so many people never expect to get a SD back...I've only once never gotten anything back and that was my own fault for wrecking the floor in my room (in my defense, though, who the gently caress has ever heard of soft wood floors? My office chair ate that pine for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

A little known place people never check for cardboard boxes is hospitals. If you go to one, ask how to get to "Stores", and they usually have a mountain of cardboard boxes there from their daily deliveries of medical supplies and equipment.

That's where I've gotten all mine for my last couple moves (it helps that I work in a hospital.)

If you get boxes from any kind of restaurant, just make sure it held something like french fries, pasta, tubs of butter, or whatnot. No raw meat boxes, and produce boxes can be ok, but I don't care for them because they generally are full of holes and whatnot.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Thanks everyone. Mostly I'm weirded out by not having a proper rearview mirror. I will have to go through a bunch of tolls and probably get gas in it, so please tell me if there's anything tricky there.

Just make double sure what type of fuel it takes.

I'm 90% sure that the smaller, 10-15' ones, all just take regular unleaded gasoline, probably 87 octane, but there is the slim chance it's a diesel.

A question for the masses: I might be making a large, cross-country move soon-ish. I'm unemployed (:smith:), and applying to jobs all over the US, because there is basically nothing in my field where I live now, other than the job I left. I've never moved cross-country before. My largest move was just after college, and that was only about 150 miles, and I had much less stuff. The town I was moving to was close enough that I took a day to travel out there and look at several places before deciding on one, and handing over a check for the SD and first month's rent then and there...but cross-country, that's not possible, save spending a lot of money on plane tickets and rental car/cabs/whatever. How hard/annoying is it to get apartments "sigh unseen" and just going by pics and descriptions on the internet?

The other issue is how long should I expect the process to take? Like I said, I'm applying to jobs anywhere, but I have no idea what to tell them if they ask me "how soon can you start?" because I don't know how long to expect the entire "cross-country move process" to take, from finding a place, applying, getting a move in date, shipping stuff/driving what I can out there, etc...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm looking to move into a new place, and I realize I was a giant loving dumbass for the past few years, and am hosed when filling out applications.

My current place I started by sub-letting a room from my roommate, and then after a couple months got added to the lease with him. Landlord knows me, no problem there, been here two years. It's the places before then that are the issue.

My place before that, where I lived for a year, I was also sub-letting. I just wrote a check to the one woman who was officially on the lease, and she paid the landlord every month. I have no idea what the landlord's name or address is. I knew his name when I lived there, but have forgotten it. I no longer have any contact info from the woman I sub-let from. I don't think the landlord ever really knew me, other than getting a letter from the woman saying "This previous guy left, this new guy is here."

The place I lived at before that, where I was only at for about 6 months, is the same deal. I was sub-letting, the landlord trusted the guy I was renting from and so I never met her or had her contact info, and again, I no longer have HIS contact info, either.

I've done white pages searches for them, but nowadays with so many people only have cell phones, nothing comes up.

So what's the best course of action? Just tell the landlord's that, hope they understand?

I suppose the sort of last-ditch effort thing I can do is physically go to the houses I lived at, and tell whoever's living there now that I used to live there, and can I please have the landlord's name and number?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Landlords who list their apartment as having a washer and dryer, but then you get there and it's a shared, coin-op, W/D in the basement should get bitch-slapped.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I might have to give up my dream of getting a place with a W/D in unit, or even just W/D hookups. The rental market here is terrible, especially if you're trying to get a place by yourself.

It's not that the places with W/D or hookups cost more on average than ones without, it's just so hard to find them that I'm basically ignoring like 75% of all the rentals out there I could afford.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Having my own washer/dryer in unit was an absolute "must have" during my search. I rented a washer/dryer for $45/month at my old place then bought a set when I moved.

It started as a must have for me, but Christ, it's so hard finding something I can afford in the first place, then to add that qualifier. The rental market here is one of the worst in the country, relative to the population. Here's a quote from a recent article that was sort of about rental properties:

quote:

In many ways, Burlington can be seen as a landlord’s dream town, and the number of rental units — which account for more than half the total of 17,000 households — supports that theory. A reliable supply of college students combined with a shortage of housing for year-round residents results in a vacancy rate typically less than 2 percent — among the lowest in New England. It also means landlords can charge $750 or more per bedroom in apartments that won’t be featured in Martha Stewart Living. The less they spend improving their properties, the more profit they make.

And another article has this to say:

quote:

But renting is another story. Just this week, the National Low Income Housing Coalition and the Vermont Affordable Housing Coalition released a report on Vermont’s rental market, and the picture isn’t pretty.

Titled “Out of Reach 2013,” the report reveals that Vermont renters must earn $18.53 per hour — or $38,541 a year — just to afford a basic, no-frills apartment. Vermont now ranks as the 15th most expensive state in the nation for renters and the ninth most costly among nonmetropolitan areas.

Bear in mind that's a state-wide average. For the Burlington-Metro-Area, the average hourly salary is about $20/hour.

And that $750 per bedroom figure they quoted really only applies to 2+ bedroom units. 1 bedroom units are typically in the $900 - $1200 range, though you can find studio/efficiencies or complete shitholes for less, maybe $750 - $850.

I realize compared to places like NYC, Boston, or LA, that's not considered bad at all, but for a city this size, and with the average salaries people get around here, it's bad.

And when you compound that with my crippling student loan payments (almost $600/month,) and it's quite depressing.

It'd make more sense financially to get a roommate, but there are issues there.
1) My current roommate's girlfriend moved into our condo. The place is barely big enough for two, and with three, it's absurd. There's no storage, save a tiny "crawlspace" type area under the stairs. Tiny kitchen, so even two of us in there trying to cook dinner at once is cramped, and with 3 there's elbows hitting elbows. He is a big stick in the mud and expressed no interest in any way of moving out into a three bedroom, or at least a larger two bedroom ("I have three fish-tanks! How will I ever move them and not kill all my fish?!")

2) I don't know anyone currently looking to move, and every time I've gotten unknown roommates, it's been a disaster. From drug addicts who stiffed me on rent for almost three months, to a woman I sub-let from who literally vanished for three weeks out of the blue, with none of the rest of us in the house being able to get a hold of her, until literally a day before the rent was due (bear in mind, we sub-let from her and she paid the landlord,) her mom shows up at our door telling us she was committed to the psych ward. Thankfully, her mom paid her share of the rent and had the address to send our checks to.

The only "upside" to my apartment search is that while our lease is up at the end of August and I didn't re-sign, he and his GF did, and told me I can basically sub-let from them for a while until I find a place.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 23, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

gently caress places that don't have off-street parking. :mad:

Around here, that's standard. If the time it took me to find a spot just to go look at the apartment is any indication, it would not be an enjoyable experience to do that day-in, day-out. On top of that, when there's a parking ban because of the snow, I have to fit my car into the "back yard" area...the "back yard" area that itself could have a foot or more of snow in it? So...I'm just expected to upgrade to an SUV with a large clearance, all-wheel drive, and knobby tires?

Sucks, too, because otherwise it had everything I need. W/D in the unit, basement for storage/beer aging, decent sized rooms, full bath...

:sigh:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Any damage you see in the apartment should be noted.

Yup. Write everything and and take pictures and send the landlord the pictures. And get some kind of confirmation he/she got them. Email might not be enough. Print them off at a Kinko's or really any drug store that has those self-print stations and mail them with delivery confirmation. And yes, keep a copy for yourself, too.

Just writing down something like,
"Small scratch on outside of oven," might not be enough if the landlord decides that no no, that's clearly a BIG scratch, so you made it worse while you were there, you need to pay for a brand new oven.

I got burned by this once. It wasn't even my first rental, it was my third, but the first time with a scummy, not-no-nice landlord. It was a split-level home that was converted into two apartments, that was then converted back to a full house. So the downstairs "basement" area had a sort of half-kitchen. She removed the old stove and fridge, but the cabinets and sink remained. We told her the cabinets were damaged a bit, and we never used them. Well, when we moved out, among all the other BS she tried to nail us for, she had down "repair of cabinets" because clearly when we said damaged, we just means a few small scratches, not doors on one hinge, missing hardware, etc...

This was also the same landlord that tried to get us to pay for a door that was damaged in a severe wind storm. It tore down half the branches in an old oak tree in the yard, yet somehow she didn't believe us that it was able to slam the screen door up against the side of the house, ripping out it's little closer-bar-piston-thingy (just what in the heck do you call that thing?)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

cname posted:

Subletting from another leaseholder. It's the landlord's unit, but I'm sure I have the same rights as the leaseholder, which are probably none, what-so-ever.

Depends on where you live. I know that most places (in the US,) have clauses in their tenant/landlord rights and laws that say something to the effect of:
"Even in absence of a formal lease, if a renter has been living in a unit for X amount of time, they get most or all of the same rights as a formal lease signer."

And usually, these rights include the fact that a landlord has to give advance notice (typically 24-48 hours) before entering the premises, except in cases of emergency (and no, painting or installing insulation is not an emergency.)

Everyone should look up their state/province/national/whatever tenant/landlord rights and responsibilities. It's amazing the poo poo that most people let landlords get away with, because they don't know any better and it has "always been that way."

Security deposits seem especially bad. I've known several people (IRL and just online,) who assume a SD is always forfeit, that all landlords keep 100% of them no matter what, and that they have no recourse to try and get it back.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

razz posted:

I rather like the Corelle dishes that you can get at Wal-Mart. They come in all sorts of cool/funky patterns and colors. I don't know what they're made of but it's almost like a mix of porcelain and plastic.

Well, they're from Wal-Mart, so made in China at the cheapest possible price, so I'm guessing lead and arsenic.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Devvo posted:

I'm moving out of my parents' place shortly, and I'm looking for a sofa bed for my living room. My budget goes up to $400 and I'm pretty sure I want leather or faux leather since it seems easier to clean than fabric and will look less grotty. Any one have any suggestions?

I checked Costco and they ran out of their "Lifestyle Solutions Vienna" sofas, so this one from Walmart looks decent: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Julia-Convertible-Futon-Sofa-Bed-with-Drink-Holder-Black/21089519, unless I get some different opinions.

Have you looked at this baby?

I'm considering getting it for my new place, but strictly as a couch, and only as a futon if a friend needs to crash there for the night or something.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

Just a heads up, I bought a Lifestyle Solutions brand couch from Costco myself (that was the same concept of futon with the sides that can form armrests), but mine was a different model that cost more like $300-400 I think. And within one year, one leg broke off while a 110 lb girl was sitting on it. The company did replace the leg for free. But by the time the couch was 14 months old, the leather had completely disintegrated on the entire couch, flaking off entirely. The whole couch. We kept a fitted sheet on it until we bought a real couch that was only like $600 that has held up great. So I would probably think twice on buying that. I've got a picture of the leg, but not of how terrible the couch looked after all the leather flaked off.

Ooh, thanks for the heads up.

As for the leather flaking off, I believe it. It's not real leather, those sofas cost $1,000+, it's "bonded leather" which is just some scraps of leather chopped up and mized with plastic and "smeared" onto the couch. If it's done well, it can last a while (not as long as real leather, though) but yeah, cheaply done and it flakes off pretty bad.

My desk chair is doing that right now on the armrests. But it was only $60, but I expected that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

M42 posted:

The management's saying that whoever's responsible for replacing equipment basically refuses to do so until the things are actively on fire.

I think you know what to do.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think that technically this issue isn't an issue, and is how my the oven in my new apartment works, but...

When I use the oven, it BLASTS a bunch of heat from the back over the top of the stove's burners. I guess this is some sort of "warming" feature? But when I say blasts, it BLASTS! I've had other stoves/ovens that did something similar, but never this much heat. I've had the oven on for maybe fifteen minutes and my kitchen (which is decent sized,) is noticeably warmer. I swear I can feel some heat starting to creep into my living room right now, too. It seems like there should be a way to "lower" that little vent, or turn it off or something, but damned if I can find a way.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't think that oven is very small, it's perfectly normal size to my eyes, probably 50-60cm wide, has four hot plates and standard baking sheets fit it. As for up and away, there's no more up, up's all filled up :(

In the US, that's a pretty small stove/oven. I think the most common size in the US is 30", so about 76 cm. Your size is about a 24" stove, which while you find see them sometimes in the US, it's not the "standard" size.

You typically see ones like that in smaller apartments (studios, tiny one bedrooms, and I imagine they're more common in larger cities where space/apartments are at a premium.)

It's weird seeing one that size in a kitchen that otherwise looks large, and certainly has room for a larger stove.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

razz posted:

That's so funny. My parents used to have the best oven ever . They recently updated their kitchen and switched to a flat-top stove which everyone agrees sucks.

They are good for one thing and one thing only: cleaning. It's really easy to clean a flat-top stove.

But they are terrible at cooking. They're an electric, so you've already got issues with taking a while to get to full temp, less precise temperature control vs. seeing an actual flame, and impossible to go as fast from a high to low heat. And then ON TOP OF THAT you have this glass layer on top of the actual electric element, so the heating up/switching temp issues are magnified.

In apartment news re: me, my BRAND NEW, HOLY poo poo I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW EXPENSIVE REAL FURNITURE IS couch arrived today. Took a long lunch to go home for the delivery guys. I felt bad because I forgot my wallet at work, so I didn't have any cash to tip them, especially since it took a while since they had a couple failed attempts to bring it in the front hallway before having to give up and haul it all the way around the building to bring it in the back door through the kitchen.

It's not as cushion-y soft as I remember in the store, but I imagine that's because the floor model has been there a few years and had a lot of butts sit on it, breaking it in.

Still, it'll be nice to take it for it's first full night of lounging this evening as I watch the World Series.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

In general, a "floor bed" just screams "college aged" and/or "just out of college." Like...no one over 25 should ever have a floor bed. It's about on par with milk crates for furniture. They make low-profile bed-frames that still keep the bed close to the floor, if you just don't like standard height bed-frames..

There's also the issue that, odds are, your sheets and blankets are at least a little bit on the floor...I guess it's more a psychological "eww, floor is dirty, bed is on floor, ergo bed, sheets, and blankets are dirty" type of mindset, but I don't care for it, personally. Like...I wouldn't ever want to bring someone I was dating home to show them my floor bed.

That being said, my mattress is currently on my floor (UGH) because of a recent move. I decided the move was a flimsy pretext to get rid of an old bed frame and box spring I had that wasn't the right size for the mattress. At one point I had a king-sixed everything, but the mattress got permanently deformed in the middle from moving it up a narrow staircase (the ol' 'taco bed' problem,) so I bought a memory foam queen mattress. I just kept it on top of the king frame and box-spring for a year and a half until a couple months ago when I moved out and brought them to the dump.

Since I had to buy a new couch for my new place, and will also have to buy an entertainment center and coffee table at some point as well, bed frame is lower on the list. And since it's a hassle to find someone who has a truck I can borrow, it's hard to even find one on craigslist since most people add in the "you have to haul it away" stipulation.

And I literally just started dating someone, so I'll have to keep making excuses as to why she can't ever come over until I get a frame...or just wait until she doesn't want to go on any more dates before we even get to that point like that last three women I dated. :smith:

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 11, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I like turtles posted:

I grew up in Arizona and therefore am entirely new to blanket shopping, now that I live somewhere that gets cold.
I have every blanket I own on my bed now and it's early november, I will need more.

Every blanket? Please tell me that's no more than 2. I'm in New England, and I'm still at just a sheet and a comforter. I rarely actually use a blanket, the sheet and comforter gets me through 80% of the year, then in summer it's just the sheet, or nothing if it's a real hot night and I don't feel like paying to ruin the AC. If it's super cold (like a lot of thrifty New Englanders, I turn off the heat at night,) I "double over" the comforter so it acts like TWO comforters (the benefits of sleeping alone.)

So I guess my advice is that you'll get used to it?

But man, that cold-rear end walk from the bed to the shower is HELL in the winter mornings...especially since my new place has hardwood floors and not carpet like my last place.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

After finding out that getting a bed frame shipped to me from IKEA would cost almost $400 (that's not counting the $150 for the bed itself,) I have to ask:

Is there anywhere online I can order a bed frame that's inexpensive (like, sub $200,) and also won't charge a rear end-load for shipping? It doesn't have to be free shipping from Amazon or anything, but less than $100, preferably less than or about $50 would be best.

I own a small car, there's no way I can just get a cheap one from Big Lots or anything. The only places that deliver are out of my price range (I just spent too much money on a "real" couch with delivery, I cant't afford to do the same with a bed.)

And yes, I'm looking on Craigslist, but so far if they don't say I have to haul it away myself in the ad, they do when the email me back (or they don't email me back at all.)

Edit: Well, speak of the Devil. There are actually a few frames on Amazon eligible for Prime shipping. Guess I'll have to take some time and see if any look worthwhile.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Thanks for the Overstock suggestion...got one from there that looked like a decent one. Had lots of good reviews, not too pricey, and free shipping.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Randomity posted:

Finally for removing a hair clog these things rule: Cobra Products 00412BL Zip-It Drain Cleaning Tool
http://amzn.com/B000BO9204
It's gross as heck but very effective! Just be careful and definitely wear gloves, not just because ew gross hair clog but also because those barbs are super sharp!

Gross and effective, indeed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkk0-cReLsM

Edit: Good lord, why are some of those people touching it gloveless? :gonk:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Personally, I think living in a murder house is a plus.

For one, you get to brag you live in a freakin' murder house.

For two, it's statistically safer than any other house. What are the odds one house is going to have two murders?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 1, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ladyweapon posted:

It took me until better weather to realize it, but poor insulation is what was raising my electric bill. I kept my heat at like ~65*F at the hottest, turned off/unplugged things at night, etc and still managed to use 24-28kw/day. Since the weathers gotten better, I turned my thermostat down to ~50*F (so it effectively never comes on) & I'm down to using 9-15kw/day. I'm also home a bit less on average which contributes. :shrug:

He said he turned off his A/C, and unless he/she lives VERY far north (or south,) it's unlikely the heat was needed.

And that also requires the heat be electric, which is a concept in and of itself I find baffling, but I understand is pretty common in areas that don't get a lot of cold weather. A lot easier to put some electric baseboard heaters for the relatively little use it gets than to have the massive amounts of infrastructure and resources needed for natural gas, propane, or oil.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I've never had one of those done, I just get my deposit eaten in mysterious costs and fees that magically add up to the amount of my deposit.

That's not a good attitude to have.

I've known people IRL, and seen various posts on multiple internet forums from people who just assume that all landlords are scumbags, and basically see their security deposit as a non-refundable charge.

Fight for that poo poo, man!

Maybe it's because I live in a very rental-friendly state, but I do NOT let that poo poo slide. Take pictures before, and send an itemized list of everything currently wrong with a place when yo move in. And then ditto for when you move out, and if possible, do a walk-through with the landlord (or if it's a large faceless company, whoever they send out to do that.)

Then when you get the itemized list, go over it really well.

I had to take a landlord to court once because she was very late getting the list of charges back to me (almost two months, and my state's statues says it has to be within two weeks,) and out of the $2000 deposit, there was a measly $100 left. BS charges all over the place, including one for a broken front door from w massive windstorm (wind pushed the door back up against the house.) We called her and showed that to her the day after it happened, so she knew it was the wind, and at the time, didn't say anything about charging us for it.

We settled out of court, even though my roommates felt if we got an actual judgement we'd get more money, but I didn't want to wait that long (it can take MONTHS, even more than a year, to get a date for small claims court.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, security deposit fights are one of the worst things, and I understand why some people just say "gently caress it" and consider their SD gone as soon as they write the check.

Of the 8 places I've rented where I've had to pay a SD, only 1 ever gave me any real trouble, though it was so much trouble I did have to file a lawsuit and go to arbitration. And getting my last one back is simply taking too long, though I don't think it will have to go to court or anything.

I moved out on May 30th, and VT law says I'm to have my SD and a list of any charges to me within 14 days, and my old property manager hasn't done that yet. I emailed him on the 12th saying it hadn't arrived, and he said he was putting it in the mail tomorrow. I didn't get it by the 19th and sent another email, reminding him of the 14 day law. He says he put in in the mail the day he said, and to just wait a couple more days (:rolleyes:). Well, it still wasn't there as of the 22nd, so I sent another email, and he said it must have gotten lost in the mail or something (suuuuure it did), so he'd cancel the first one and send me a second one.

Personally, I think he either forgot the first time, or was waiting for the new tenant's SD check to clear first. None of my interactions with him thus far have been bad, so I'm hoping there's no real ill-intent to keep from paying me. I already mentioned the part about it needing to be to me within 14 days, so I'm hoping that shows I'm serious enough to not back down and it will arrive either today or Monday.

I'm just glad that I wasn't in a position to seriously need that money.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I moved out on May 30th, and VT law says I'm to have my SD and a list of any charges to me within 14 days, and my old property manager hasn't done that yet. I emailed him on the 12th saying it hadn't arrived, and he said he was putting it in the mail tomorrow. I didn't get it by the 19th and sent another email, reminding him of the 14 day law. He says he put in in the mail the day he said, and to just wait a couple more days (:rolleyes:). Well, it still wasn't there as of the 22nd, so I sent another email, and he said it must have gotten lost in the mail or something (suuuuure it did), so he'd cancel the first one and send me a second one.

Quoting myself here for an update, still no SD check as of July 2. He canceled the first one and claims to have sent a second one by certified mail to my PO Box on the 27th. Even if he didn't mail it until the 29th, it should have arrived by now (it was only going one town over, and to a PO Box, to boot, so shouldn't take more than 2 days.)

Monday is the latest I'll give him, then I'll ask to get it in person, because he's clearly incapable of sending mail like a normal member of society (must be a goon.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

extravadanza posted:

Can pretty much answer craigslist for any cheap anything, but I just snagged a 8x10 pottery barn looking rug off craigslist for $50 because the lady was moving into a new apartment that was already carpeted.

Personally, I have a policy to never get anything cloth/upholstered from craigslist.

Who knows WHAT was going on with it before you got it. Bedbugs, sex stains, smoking, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

A large part of it is also where you are, and where you're moving to.

I was talking with the guy at the U-Haul office for my last move into my first home (woo!) and he was telling me that moves from the south to the north, especially the northeast, don't happen very often and the mileage rates are extremely low. He said currently they have to pay employees to drive the trucks from southern state to the northern ones and fly back (or fly there and drive back) to keep the truck supply at a decent level.

So I guess if you're moving from Alabama to Maine try to negotiate a super cheap/free truck? :shrug: