Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thoguh posted:

Gonna disagree with this part of your post, or at least the DVD and furniture part. Having a good DVD collection is nice and can even be helpful in getting friends initially and ladies later on. Same goes for having a comfortable couch or futon as opposed to the $49 target futon that most people have.

Don't bring anything you don't mind getting puked on though. And seconding leave the door propped open when you're there, and locked if you so much as step out to take a piss.

A binder can hold an ungodly amount of DVDs in not very much space. It also helps to see the exact room and discuss with roommates before getting anything too big in there.

Definetly talk to your roommate before hand to figure out whose bringing what. A mini fridge is awesome. My roommate had a brita water filter pitcher that was awesome, so we always had cold tasty water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

scarymonkey posted:

* Vacuum cleaner
Here's a cheapie that got great ratings in consumer reports (if you need/want a more expensive sucker Woot.com and TechBargains.com list Dyson and Roomba refurbs all the time) :
http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Widepath-Upright-Vacuum-U5140-900/dp/B0009ONZ8G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Woot sometimes has some Shark vacuums, those rock. I got mine for $70 and I love it.

I think pretty much any cyclonic vacuum is going to rock, and a lot of companies make them now.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well now I'm gonna get Renters insurance.

How much coverage should I get. Progressive says they pay replacement cost, not value, which is cool. I can understand in a flood or something I can figure out what I've lost, but in a fire, how would I know? Do they just cut you a check for the policy amount, or do you have to "prove" it somehow, or what?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So my building has central air, but it sucks, and the landord doesn't turn it on soon enough, so it's 85 degrees in my apartment. It's about 1000 square feet, and I'd like to get an AC unit, but my windows slide sideways and not up and down, making installation difficult. Would those stand units with the vent hose outside work better than a traditional window unit?

E: I guess I need a unit for a horizontal or casement window, which exists.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 17, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What kind of tools do you guys keep in your apartment? I've got way too much poo poo and trying to figure out what I can get rid of, and I've got quite a few tools.

A few years ago when I was in college I built a bar (which is now in a former roommates basement, still being used :smug:) and that involved quite a few tools. I've got a circular saw, reciprocating saw, two drills, a jig saw, a laminate trimmer, and a rather large tool box full of screws, nails, squares & triangles, etc etc.

So I'm thinking a small drill for all the Ikea furniture, a couple of sizes of screw drivers (phillips and and flat head), utility knife, hammer, needle-nose pliers, regular pliers, and adjustable wrench. Any thoughts?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

From my experience with ABF's pod-type service, the extra money is from hiring two moving crews instead of just one. What ABF does is you pay for the pod and the truck driver who drives it from point A to point B, pay for a local moving crew at your place to load the truck, then pay for another moving crew at your destination. It cost me $2500 to move about the same amount of stuff from Virginia to Texas.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why would you pay for a pod if you weren't packing yourself? Unless you're packing it into storage, but I'm guessing that's not the case here.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

It's not that different from a regular move, the "pod" is the trailer part of a tractor trailer that they drop off at your place and pick it up when it's full. Then they drive to your new place, drop the trailer off and pick it up when it's empty. The only real difference is that the truck and movers aren't the same company. The moving crew is an optional feature, you can pack/unpack it yourself over the span of a few days if you want. I lived on the second floor and had a lot of heavy poo poo and no one around to help so I paid for the loading/unloading, if I had less stuff, friends who were in town, or lived on the first floor I might've done it myself.

Did you get standard service, or pod?

See, that's my question. Why, when you're just having guys come, put you're stuff in a vehicle, drive it to another place, then take it out of the vehicle, why would you bother with a pod?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
For mattress flipping, there should be a guide on a label somewhere on how to flip it. My last one, not a pillow top, wanted me to flip it every 3 months and told me how to flip it each time (to rotate through the 4 ways it could be.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Storgar posted:

Wow, where can I get one of those? Googling for "Burger King poster" also reminds me that Burger King seems to have a history of running/trying to run unexpectedly racy ads. I like to think that their PR department is run by a bunch of 12 year olds. :mmmhmm:

They actually recently fired their PR firm (the ones that came up with The King) because they were marketing exclusively to man children, to the point of alienating women and other grownups.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'd get rid of that mattress. 8-10 years is the life of a mattress, so probably as good a time as any to ditch it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Mattress Firm is advertising that you should replace your mattress every 8 years, Sleep Number says that that their mattresses last twice as long as regular mattress (20 years vs 10) but cost about the same, so I guess that's all I have to go off.

Unless the mattress is exceptional I'd still say it's probably not worth it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Or just live in the same unit for five years so everything will be replaced when you leave anyway :feelsgood:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yo jackasses, I live in a building that's full of students and (fairly sure) Section 8 tenants, and it's awesome because I have a landlord who doesn't suck.

So don't move into apartments with lovely landlords.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've lived in this building for 5 years in 4 different units. My roommates have themselves lived in 3 separate apartments. I've broken 2 leases here to move into bigger units. I've repainted just about every wall in my latest apartment with very bold colors that will be a huge pain to have repainted back to normal.

Meanwhile I pay my rent on time, don't have loud parties, don't trash the units, and report problems to the landlord. In return most problems are fixed the same day, and I've gotten almost all my deposits back (and the little bit I didn't get back was clearly explained and not bullshit at all).

I'll admit I'm incredibly lucky. I think the owner has quite a few large properties (this one is 71 units). We have a landlord with an office here who keeps regular business hours (8-4) and a maintenance person dedicated to the building. I've lived here through three years of undergrad, and 2 years while my fiance got her Masters and is now working on her PhD. We'll be here for at least another 3

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Walk into a Sleep Number store, find the most expensive bed they have, and then put it on their credit plan.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I will third the existence of nice Ikea stuff. Just stop gravitating towards the $30 coffee tables (:swoon:) and grab something nicer.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What bizzaro world do you live in where you have more than one cable company?

If you do actually have multiple cable companies I'd call them all and give them your address, I'm guessing only one of them will actually have your building wired up. Worst case scenario they all come out and test the line for signal.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've been in the same complex since Sept 1 2006, but I've lived in 4 different units. The first one 9 months, the second one 2 years, the third for 2 years 5 months, and the current unit for 1 year 7 months. I'm guessing we'll be staying in this unit for at least 2 more years, after I went through all that work to paint all the walls and stuff it full of Ikea furniture.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Scurvy posted:

So I'm trying to move from Chicago to NYC... how the heck do I pull off finding housing? Stuff seems to go off the market immediately, and Craigslist is full of scammers (not to mention I don't want to rent something without looking at it first).

I've tried posting craigslist ads looking for roommates, but nobody really wants to live with someone who doesn't already live in NYC. I have two cats and will be working from home, which makes me incredibly undesirable as a roommate.

Are there any honest brokers in the city who will work with people looking to spend $1k or less a month? I feel like my only realistic option is finding a trustworthy broker, then flying out for a weekend and hoping I can find something with them in that timeframe (this was how I did it when I moved to Chicago, but replace "broker" with free "apartment finding service"). I'm having a hell of a time finding one in NYC who isn't a scumbag or a scam artist.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is so frustrating :(

Take a glance at the tumblr Eggplant Wizard posted, and weep.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Anyone apartment-hunting right now will enjoy this (unless they live/want to live in NYC in which case haha sucker)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Scurvy posted:

Thanks, Eggplant Wizard! I guess to clarify on some things:

I'm currently in Chicago; not to get too E/N about it — I want to go to NYC because I need to make some major life changes. My boss is letting me work remotely from NYC since he's sympathetic to the case I made. The idea is that since I've been having a hell of a time getting ad agencies there to consider someone non-local, actually being there would land me more interviews.

I don't have a car; I take public transportation/walk everywhere here. I'd have no issues getting rid of all my stuff. (I moved to Chicago ten years ago by flying out one weekend, finding housing through an apartment finding service, getting rid off all my stuff and flying back with a laptop and suitcase of clothes). I don't need to be in Manhattan — I just need to be able to access places through public transportation, especially once I find a better job.

I have a craigslist ad I've been spamming to Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, professional groups I'm a part of, friends in NYC, friends' friends in NYC. I set a theoretical date of "around August 1", but nothing is written in stone.

I'm also trying to find someone in Chicago who's in the same situation (not tethered to a desk; cool with cats; wants to go on a weird adventure), so we can move/room together out there.

I think the solution at this point is to go back to trying to find a better job in NYC while I'm still in Chicago, and maybe I'll get lucky and find a roommate in the meantime.

I'm not an expert on New York, but there should be a pretty big radius around the city where you can easily hop commuter train into Penn Station or Grand Central Terminal. I think North of the city and Connecticut go into Grand Central, and New Jersey and Long Island go into Penn station. You'd save a pile of money on rent, and have room for your cats. Since you're not commuting into the city every single day during rush hour(I'm assuming you'd just be going in for client meetings and such? Or are you trying to then land a job?), you'll probably have a pretty easy time of it.

If you do end up getting a job in the city and you want to move into Brooklyn or Manhattan, you'll have a much easier time doing it because you'll be local.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've had a Karlstad for the last year and a half and I love it. We've changed the cover once, which turns it into a brand new couch. It's really durable.

The biggest thing I notice comparing to regular furniture store couches is that the Ikea ones are much more compact. Not that they can seat less or something (I have the L shaped couch and we can fit 7 or 8 people on it) but it doesn't waste a bunch of space for nothing. Furniture store couches seem huge in comparison to the amount of seating they can provide.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Would this layout work? The main problem is that there's not much room in front of the TV or on the east side of the bed, but in principle not that much room is needed? I don't know, this seems to maximize the possibilities of a captain's bed, at least.

I had a pretty similair layout and college and it worked fine for me. I had a bookshelf about a foot and half away from the end of the bed and that's where I had my laptop setup that I used to watch stuff. Even now as a grown rear end man the TV is only 4 or so feet from the end. of the bed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Ashcans posted:

My wife and I found another couple to share a bigass place with (it was supposed to a 4BR, so dividing it between two couples was pretty nice) We found them through a group that was specifically for cooperative living - ie, arrangements where you function more like a household than roomies, consolidating chores and groceries and stuff. So basically we would plan meals together, rotate cooking and cleaning duties, etc. Before deciding to live together we exchanged a few emails, and then we each hosted the other couple for dinner. So they got to see how we kept house, and we got to see how they did.

It worked out really well for the time we lived together, but then me and my wife decided to have a kid and we needed more space for ourselves.

Let's be honest, this was a swingers house, wasn't it? It was a swingers house.

I feel like that's what would happen if my wife and I ever shared a house with any of our couples friends, but maybe that's just our group? v:shobon:v

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I bought a bed & mattress off Amazon and I'm pretty happy with them. However, I am pretty intimidated by the prospect of buying a dresser, given the nightmarish reviews on all the cheap ones on Amazon, Hayneedle, Overstock, etc. I want something like this in terms of looks, but should I bother shelling out for a little better quality than that? I guess I'm probably giving away or selling this dresser in a few years, but any recommendations? I'm also in the market for a simple TV stand that doesn't look too cheap, and I'm having a lot of trouble finding anything I like.

That looks almost exactly like a black brown Malm from Ikea.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How in the hell does LV not have an Ikea yet.

I think there's a service in Vegas that will buy Ikea stuff and bring it to you for less than the price of Ikea delivery, but not sure how much more that costs than the actual stuff.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sounds like your local Graebel franchise sucks pretty bad and not much else.

If I recall it's a three pronged process, with different companies handling the loading, transportation, and unloading.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Two questions:
1) Any recomendations to hold a rug down on the carpet? Mine likes to migrate slightly and it migrates into a piece of furniture which means it curls up and trips my OCD and I just want to hold that suckeer down.
2) Is anyone crazy enough to pay for a cleaning service for their rented apartment? My wife and I suck at cleaning and I think our lives would be a lot easier if I could just pay someone to do some stuff for us (vacuuming, clean the bathroom, etc etc). Any thoughts on that?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've wanted to do this with my Malm for a while:
http://www.heathashli.com/2010/08/ikea-hack-malm-w-storage-boxspring/

I've got the frame, I'd just need to get the storage box.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've had Ikea 365 dishes for about 4 years now with few problems. I've lost one bowl and 2 plates breaking so far, but what's nice is I can just go back to Ikea and replace the broken pieces rather than having an odd set.

No silverware scratches or chips or anything. As usual, if you buy the quality stuff at Ikea you get quality.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The MALM is low enough that you can't really fit anything underneath it. They make a Storage MALM that's a bit higher off the ground but I think that only comes in a queen size.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Elderbean posted:

Good to know, thanks.

I might just go the super-poor "buy a metal stand" route since I'm trying to save money.

I love my Malm, but for you I would recommend this.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Does anyone have bug problems in their apartment? I do, and I've talked to the landlord about it, and the bug guy will come up and do some stuff, and it will end up as "well you should clean better." But I've been exactly as messy in another unit on the other side of the building and didn't have any problems. Also I have bugs in the bathroom, bugs coming out of the kitchen sink, and bugs in the closet where the cat food is. So I don't think it's my fault, and the fault of their being an infestation on this side of the building. So I guess I'm wondering what I should do? My landlord's a really reasonable guy and we don't have an adversarial relationship so I don't want to push him into becoming an adversary.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
They're roaches of some kind I think, certainly not flies or ants. I agree I should keep things cleaner, I'm just wondering what's a reasonable level? Obviously dirty dishes into the dishwasher, no food left on the counter, but how far do I go from there? Should I rinse off every dish after every meal to make sure there are zero food particles? Every single dry good in a resealable plastic container?

I just don't want to end in some endless spiral where it's always my fault because it's not clean enough since you can't perform surgery inside my toilet bowl or something like that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Ashcans posted:

If they are little roaches, they are probably German roaches. Unfortunately they eat just about everything and do infest buildings. It's very possible that they are just moving around in the building, basically going down a level when your landlord treats your unit and coming back when its done.

I have no idea what your place looks like, but you should basically be cleaning it to a standard where your parents/grandparents/whatever wouldn't look aghast at it. Store food in the fridge or in sealed containers (no open snacks out) and wipe down your counters, put stuff in the dishwasher and take out your trash regularly. Most importantly, make sure it's extra clean when your landlord is coming to look at the issue. It doesn't matter if it's clean 95% of the time if you have a ton of stuff in the sink and some meat on the counter when he walks in, that's what he's going to think you do all the time. Buy some roach hotels, too.

I would suggest getting everything clean and putting out your own traps and if that doesn't help, call him and show him what you have done, and ask him to get an exterminator in to look at it seriously.

Does he own the whole building, or just your unit? If he can't get the whole area to clean up you might just be screwed.

It's 70 unit apartment building. The landlord isn't the owner, but he runs the place so close enough (and the whole thing is owned by a single person). He has a bug guy come regularly twice a month so I guess I just need to get in the habit of keeping it clean and have him send the bug guy over whenever he's in the building until it goes away.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm moving out of an apartment that has a ton of roaches, and I don't want to bring them with me. I've got the luxury of living in Minnesota and we have been beset by winter. So I think if I just keep all of my stuff outdoors probably stored in a not-climate controlled storage unit) for long enough, that should kill everything, right? Or should I load up a truck and bug bomb it? Something else?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looks almost exactly like the motion sensitive switch in my office. I just popped off the cover and took a look to see if there was any way to adjust it, but mine doesn't have any such thing. I often have the problem where it turns off when I'm just sitting here at my desk, so I have to flail my arms sometimes to get it to turn back on.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well that's unquestionably stupid. Do you have a facilities department or something? Those should be changed, or the bookcase moved.

Comedy option, if there's enough space there, put some whirligig that always moves to keep the sensor tripped.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looking to rent a house, is there anything I should be concerned about/be asking about that's specific to a house? My biggest concern is what the intention of the owner is long term, if he's looking to rent for a while or just holding it short term until he can sell it. It's being done through a local rental brokerage, so the who/what/when of any repairs is also of interest. I know electricity and such will generally be higher since it's a detached house and also just larger than our current apartment. Anything else I should be looking at/asking?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Where's a good place to find a Microwave? I need a new one and I've looked at Target, Home Depot, and Menards (regional home improvement store) and they have like 3 or 4 microwaves in store. If I went to an appliance store would I have more selection? I see Best Buy has a ton apparently in stock too, maybe that's a better choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I ended up just looking at the #1 best selling Microwave on Amazon, saw that I could get it cheaper at Target with my Red Card, and just went and grabbed. I did actually need a microwave ASAP so it worked out well.