Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

So back in late December/early January I posted about my stuff getting moved around when I wasn't home but nothing was stolen and the doors and windows were locked. We opted not to get a security system because it was way too expensive ($600 install plus $80/month NOPE) and all the neighbors assured us it was a super safe neighborhood and crime maps reflected that fact so I jokingly chalked it up to ghosts. Nothing has happened since then.

Today we cleaned our floors so we know they were all clean wall to wall. It was a nice day so we went outside with the dogs to cook dinner and were sitting outside for two hours grilling and eating. After dinner I down to the basement to start a load of laundry and find dried blood on the floor. I'm not bleeding, my husband's not bleeding, the dogs aren't bleeding (not to mention they're giant weenies and refuse to go in the basement) and were outside with us the whole time. There's no trail and the ceiling is clean.

Does anyone have a logical explanation for this?

Do your pets have fleas or recently had fleas? Flea poop runs red when exposed to water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Does it? The dogs are on flea prevention but it might be worth looking into. We give the dogs baths down there and they just got re-dosed with their flea meds so there is a decent chance of wet fleas about.

Yeah, flea dirt is 90% blood so when it gets wet the dried blood partially re-liquifies. My aunt would get red spots on her laundry room floor all the time from all of the fleas her dogs kept picking up. I'm not going to say that fleas are definitely the answer to your situation, but it's something to look out for.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

A lot of people don't realize that you can ask for a binding estimate from a moving company. I did that with my last move and it was a major weight off my shoulders. A binding estimate is simple: The moving company is bound to the estimate they quoted to you and can't exceed that amount, even if they wildly underestimated how long the drive was/how much your furniture weighed/etc. Essentially, it's a fixed price for the entirety of your move.

There's also a Not-To-Exceed binding estimate where it's the same as above, but if you come under weight/under milage/whatever, the moving company will charge you less if it's less than the estimate they quoted. Moving companies are pretty hesitant to actually give this one out, though.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 24, 2016

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

You should also look at your renters insurance policy just in case the landlord/landlords insurance doesn't cover something of yours that got damaged. I had a friend who's apartment got flooded and the landlord's insurance covered the couch and whatnot, but not things like lamps, books and his bike. It's also just a good idea to familiarize yourself with your policy in general.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Problem! posted:

If by "upscale" you mean "not a student hovel", sure.

I went to five different places and they were all the same with varying degrees of bullshit but none had fewer than 2 or 3 mandatory extras tacked on to the advertised price. Three different management companies too, so it's not like it's just one company that controls all of them. This is also the first time I'm renting an apartment geared more to working adults/families as opposed to students, so maybe this is normal for that type of housing. It just caught me by surprise since we'd budgeted a certain amount for rent and had assumed we'd be able to pick and choose any extra costs like internet and tv.

I think the one we're going to go with is the cheapest with fewest fees but it's also next to active train tracks.

It's all part of the "luxury" apartment trend, even if the place isn't advertised as such. Landlords saw how much bank larger places were making attracting wealthier tenants with heavily marked up but cheap to provide services and hopped on the bandwagon. The place I'm renting from does the exact same poo poo and its nowhere close to luxury. I'd have to pay a monthly dog wash area fee if I want to use the hose in the backyard.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Ancillary income (basically all income that's not rent) became a hot area of multifamily finance during the recession when rents got stagnant (or even declining). The trendy way to increase revenue was by adding on new fees.

That makes sense. It's a shame that the fees haven't gone down (or they don't seem to be) in response to rising rents. Boston surpassed New York City in terms of average rent and places I've lived years ago are now tacking on fees on top of that. Maybe I'm just bitter at all the luxury apartments going up. I just want an affordable place to live in a city that I love :(

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Ashcans posted:

How to get an apartment in Boston for the late summer:

- Haha you waited until now? Everyone else rented in March, you are fuuuucked.
- Respond to every add on craigslist/padmapper below your budget
- 90% of those are bait for scams or realtors who want to rent you a condo for 3x the price you clicked on
- Make an appointment to see the other 10% TONIGHT (it will be gone in the morning, don't even think about the weekend)
- Go to the apartment; bring a completed application and your checkbook. Is it on fire? Is it filled with feral turkeys? Can you fit a bed in the room? Great!
- Confirm that it is not operated by Alpha Management.
- Give them your application and a check for the deposit on the spot. Don't go home and think about it or try to hand it in later, it will be gone.
- Pray they accept you and not one of the other people who did the above as well
- Congratulations, you have a hovel, now plan better for next year

I lived in Boston for the last 10 years and good lord is this accurate. The rental market would be so much better there if it wasn't tied to the college students needing places for September.

There's a Boston-based Facebook group titled "Rooms for under $900" that I used one year there and wound up meeting some cool people.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Fluue posted:

I'm up for a lease renewal (no rent increase this year :toot:) but I'm looking around because I've been in my current place for 2 years and could use a larger place.

The lease renewal notice has a clause that states the terms listed for renewal are on a "first-come, first-serve basis." My current lease doesn't actually expire until October 31, so I'm wondering if that clause means they can deny my renewal if I wait a few weeks while scoping out other options. I can't really explore other places right now because other landlords don't know what their availability will be come October.

So is that clause more of a "don't wait until the last minute" sort of thing?

It's to incentivize you to stay instead of them having to put in the effort to find someone else, but read the renewal notice closely and call them if you have any questions. They might have put in something that changes their offer after a certain date. My last apartment had a clause like that to say that your rent won't increase if you sign right now, but it may if you renew at a later date.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

If you feel they did a good job and you want to tip the furniture delivery guys, then go ahead, but you're not obligated to. It could vary by region, but as far as I'm aware it's not generally expected to tip them because they make higher than minimum wage and aren't paying for the maintenance/gas for the truck. However, it is just a nice thing to do, especially if they haul heavy things up a couple flights of stairs and are respectful of your items/space. If this is a store that you order or expect to order from frequently then tipping is a good idea, if only so they remember you as the tipping guy and will bend over backwards to give you great service.

There's no expectation to tip an internet tech either, and I've never heard of one being tipped.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

MNSNTZR posted:

Anyway, my lease is coming to end this month, so we're finally making the step to transition to a month-to-month lease in order to move out to Texas. My last move (North Carolina to Louisiana) was a huge loving mess considering finding employment and a decent place to live. How are you supposed to find work when you live in another state? It's only a 6 hour drive if we end up around Austin, but I just can't see myself making that schlep for an interview with the type of work I'm qualified for.

If you aren't in a high demand or upper management career then finding employment outside of your state can be hellish. My advice is to start applying to as many jobs that you think you're qualified for as soon as you can. Like, right now. Emphasize that you are moving to the area in your cover letter (include your new address if you can) and remove any references to your current city in your resume. When you get to the interview stage, ask to do it over Skype instead of having to come in. Send thank you cards/emails to anyone you interviewed with and try to keep yourself on their minds.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe I'm misreading, but are you thinking of laying tablecloths over your cords? That sounds really weird, personally, and would draw more attention to the area you're trying to hide.

The key to keeping cables organized and looking nice is bundling them together with velcro strips or zip ties. Even with that bare minimum it will look a lot cleaner. Going a step further, you can run the bundles down the table legs and against the wall using some coax wood staples, and keep the cords that you only need to use sporadically (such as charging cables) out to a minimum. This could mean getting a dedicated charging station that all of your USB cables attach to so you don't have a bunch snaking their way across the floor from various outlets, or just putting them in a drawer and taking them ot when you need them. If you want to get fancier than that, there are various vinyl strips that you can lay your cables under, but it can make your apartment/house look like a cheap office cubicle.

A product that I really like (but some may find silly) is a cable box like the BlueLounge Cablebox. It's a small, rectangular, ventilated box that hides a power strip and the plugs plugged into it in a neat little package.

If it's possible, I'd also move those two pieces of furniture against/as close as possible to the wall.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 14, 2018

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Stupid question, but you did inform your landlord about the problem, correct? Hot water is considered an essential service for a landlord to provide, so if they wait that long (or longer) without contacting you, they are definitely in violation of the lease.

I live in Chicago and am not a lawyer, so you should check with an local attorney before doing anything, but here's what my state says about a landlord providing hot water:

quote:

In those situations where a landlord cuts off heat or hot water, a tenant can obtain heat and water on their own (probably not a realistic possibility in a large rental building) and deduct the cost from the rent.  The tenant can recover damages based on the reduction in the fair rental value of the property.  The tenant can obtain substitute housing and deduct that cost (provided the cost does not exceed the cost of the rental unit) from the rent.  The tenant can, upon proper notice, withhold a portion of the rent.  The tenant can terminate the lease upon written notice if the noncompliance occurs for more than 72 hours.  Those are powerful remedies.  Keep in mind that tenants are also entitled to attorney’s fees and court costs if they have to enforce their CRLTO rights in court.  (Readers should remember that tenant’s seeking to enforce these rights should consult an attorney before taking any action).

Edit: The above applies to any situation where hot water is not provided by a landlord, not just when the water is shut off like the first sentence implies.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 11, 2019

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

The written agreement supercedes whatever is claimed on the portal. You'll be fine. Bring a copy of the agreement with you (in case they ask to see it) and make sure to get a signed receipt when you present the check.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Make a fuss about it and don't stop until you get the check. They'll sit on their hands hoping youll either forget or decide it's not worth the hassle so they can keep the money. A landlord I had a few years ago "forgot" to return the deposit for over a month until I showed up to the office in person and demanded it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

How weird would an applicant putting in for an apartment with no credit history, no proof of income/employment, no rent history, but several months worth of rent in hand look?

They'd probably make you get a co-signer. Someone whom they can bill if you stop paying rent because they don't know if you'll be a reliable rent-payer.