Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

photomikey posted:

1) Sweep out/break off any loose crud. Don't scrub.
2) Empty an entire can of EasyOff into the oven. Cover every surface, including the door. Hold your breath while you do this (I turn around behind me and get a good deep breath, then spray - repeat as needed.
3) Wait 24 hours. Do not do anything for 24 hours.
4) Wear gloves and wipe away the remains. With the effort of cleaning a window, you will now have a clean oven.

Or, buy a loving ice scraper and a hammer and chisel, or what the gently caress ever. But the EasyOff 24 hours thing has never failed me.

Do you leave it open or closed for the 24 hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Can anyone recommend a couch that will fit up a narrow set of stairs?

My old couch is in my basement because that was a straight shot. Going up to my apartment has two landings. My queen bed only barely made it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Nuntius posted:

Or an Ikea Flatpack. The Söderhman comes in lovely flat boxes and would fit up the stairs no problem. Just got one myself and liked it so much I went back to buy more sections the next week

If only there were an Ikea near here.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I got my last bill from my old electric company: $4.10/month + $0.037617/kwh
My first bill from the new electric company: ~$0.287/kwh - $0.40/month

I'm going to miss paying :20bux:. I'm going to be stingy as gently caress with the AC this summer.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Try contacting the post office/postal inspector's office and ask them how things are supposed to work. While you are there, get a PO Box.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is the electric company doing actual reads, or just estimates? Your bill should give you an indication. If it is an estimate, compare the last read on your bill to the current read on your meter.

Some utilities will give you estimates that are really high, to encourage you to give them a reading. Or, the last tenant was running a grow-op, and they are giving you an estimate based on previous usage.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's the same kind of information every landlord tries to get, she's just being more direct about it.

I must have trusting landlords, because the most they've ever done for me is look at my paystubs, and run credit reports and background checks from a service.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Elderbean posted:

How much stock should I put into apartment reviews? It seems like the only people who bother to write them are angry.

Pretty much. Also, the only apartments that really get reviewed are larger complexes.

Most reviews I've ever seen complain about lovely neighbors, which doesn't have that much to do with the apartment.

One for my last place said the complex manager regularly entered their apartment to jerk off over them as they slept. Then there were too more that said "Oh yeah, he does that to me too." And a final review that said that all the negative reviews were obviously from rule breakers who aren't welcome there anyway.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
All I've ever said is "I saw your ad [on craigslist] for the place on [address]. Is it still available? When can you show it?"

Then again, I smaller city in the US. Maybe there is more ritual involved in other places.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
How much is your job giving you towards moving expenses?

Have you considered a furnished apartment?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
http://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-...asin=B00FZYRSOW
Already laminated and everything.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
When I moved out of my last place they gave me two forms to fill out near the end of my lease. I could fill out one to renew, or the other to move out. The move out form had boxes to check to give your reason for moving out, but I didn't check any. The lady in the office called me and left a voicemail saying I had to give a reason. I never called her back yet somehow I still moved out. HTH.

Real Advice: Include your forwarding address.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Retirement communities can say '55 & Up only' but that's the only real exception.

What they said is probably illegal.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
What if you just move out on the weekend? What are they going to do, evict you after you move out?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Why would a landlord need to get in touch with me if I don't rent from them?

Is it normal in some places to provide your own credit report? Anything I've done where a credit report was needed, they ran it themselves. Seems too easy to fake otherwise.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

photomikey posted:

Some indy landlords will allow just about anything. Some don't know any better, some just don't give a poo poo.

I know some that will accept tenant-provided credit reports. Some will have the tenant log in and pull one in front of them (which is more legit), but I can pull your credit, get a score, and run an (albeit crappy) felony report for $9. Seriously, you're renting a house on a year lease at $1k/mo and trying to save $9?

Charge the applicant $10 and make $1.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If the trees are near overhead powerlines, you can usually call the power co and they will trim the parts that are near the lines for free. It won't be pretty, but at least you wont lose power in a storm.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Having my own laundry is great mostly because I don't have to deal with quarters. The last place had enough machines, but no change machine. And then I get a roll with 1 or 2 Canadian quarters in the center, and the machines don't take those.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
What does this A/C fee cover? Is electric included in your rent?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I always see people asking how "Car X" works in the snow. They end up being mostly the same. A 4wd vehicle will help you get out of a ditch, but doesn't help you keep out of the ditch. A RWD drive car can be more apt to lose traction due to a lack of weight under the drive wheels.

Everyone has given the top tip: Slow down.

Also, know if your car has ABS, and if so how to use it. If not, know how to brake without it. With ABS, DON'T pump the brakes. Without ABS, DO pump the brakes when the wheels lock. ABS doesn't help you brake in a shorter distance, but helps you maintain control while braking.

If you get stuck in a snowstorm, and feel like you need to stop, don't just pull over to the side of the road. You'll get rear ended. Do use your hazard lights if warranted, but try to press on to the next exit, rest-stop, or whatever.

Don't use cruise control in treacherous conditions. You need to be in control.

Use caution when starting, like when making a right-on-red. You may not have traction. If your car has traction control, cool. It will help you not spin your wheels, but it's not a silver bullet. All it does is back off your throttle when your wheels spin.

Also, watch for cross-traffic who may not be able to stop for their red light/ stop sign.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If you decide to DIY, use the silver foil tape meant for ducts, and not "duct tape".

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Don't you need Flood Insurance for flood damage? I don't really know where the handoff is to Renters Insurance.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I have a single-landlrod now, and she gave me a free month because I've stayed for 3 years. Every so often she gets a bug about me signing a new lease, but she never sends it to me so I've been month-to-month after the first year.

However, anything involving the condo association sucks. They are slow and have stupid rules. Took 6 months for them to clear payment to repair damage from a roof leak.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hope you like getting electrocuted.

You probably wont, but that sounds like a totally bizarre thing to do. It's super easy to fix, why aren't they fixing it? What else is messed up, that they aren't fixing or telling you about?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, my current place has a recycle bin. My place before didn't, it had just an overflow bin for stuff too big to fit, and it filled with junk. So yeah, you need a recycle bin. But you also need someone to empty it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
What's the new hot site to find rentals? I'm looking to move to Central NJ in the April-May timeframe. Right now I'm just getting an idea of availability and budget. Zillow and Padmapper are OK I guess, and craigslist wasn't very fruitful. My last two places I found on craigslist, but that was all Western NY.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
FWIW I had a much cheaper quote from a full-service mover than from a PODs type mover.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I rent a condo and the association is requiring a bi-annual dryer duct cleaning. I texted my landlord to make sure they were also notified. He replied that it was my responsibility. The condo board is mandating that it be done by a licensed professional, no DIY allowed. What a racket.

I've already replied saying that since it's a professional service, it's not something I take care of and he needs to hire someone. In my mind, this is what I pay rent for. He tried getting me to pay for a special assessment from the condo association already (I refused), so he seems to have a different opinion. I'm just wondering what's normal here.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, I've been renting for like 10 years now and I've never had a LL ask for something like that. Either the condo assessment or this service.

I followed up and he says he will take care of it. Thankfully I'm not a pushover.

I felt like we were on friendly terms for the first year. I was even willing to buy the tool and DIY, until I found out that wasn't allowed. Now I guess I start looking for a house to buy, then I know for sure everything is my loving problem!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I got a quote for a pod-like service, and they came in at $1k-2k above the regular full service movers I contacted. I did not use them. As always, shop around.

They were the same company who did the disbursement of our moving allowance. Their quote was just under the allowance amount, it seems a little fishy now that I think about it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My parents have donated to Vietnam Veterans and Volunteers of America. Both came to pick up furniture. If it's not in donatable condition, 1-800-Got-Junk I guess?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Go hand a check to the office?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Recycle it. It's subsidizing the mail you actually want to get (if any).

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Nothing important has ever been addressed to "or current resident"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My name is Local Postal Customer. Postmasters hate me.