Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I live in a townhouse development and this is a segment of the floor plan of the main floor of my unit.

See that red circled area? Nobody knows what the hell to do with that space in any of the 50 units here. It's this area by the front door:

At the end of the long, narrow main floor:

And adjacent to the front door/the stairs leading to the 2nd floor:

Obviously it looks like poo poo to have a little desk sitting there. I've tried putting a loveseat there, and it looks fine, but nobody ever wants to sit in it when there's a bigass couch a few feet away.

Anybody here gifted with a sense of decoration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Senf posted:

Do you have a bar? Because you should get a bar. Every one will want to sit by the bar.

How high from the ground is the bottom of that window?

A bar would be awesome.

The window comes down very low; I want to say about 30". That floor plan picture has inch measurements on it, so that recess by the window is about 8'5". It's only set about 6" back into the wall.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My townhouse has a central vac system but the hose and attachments are all falling apart. Does anyone have a recommendation for new central vac equipment? Or alternatively, am I correct in my suspicion that central vacuums are poo poo? Maybe I'll just get an upright vac and forget about it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I want to buy a motherfuckin'

EAMES LOUNGE

However, at 6'2", I'm officially Too Tall to fit comfortably in one.

In response to people getting taller and fatter since the 1950s, Herman Miller has started making a Tall edition as of 2013.

Differences are very minor:

The thing holding me up is that the Tall Eames isn't an Eames, you know? It's like, if you love the Mini Cooper, but you don't fit in it, do you get an abomination like the Mini Countryman that fits you, or do you just admit that the Mini Cooper isn't for you?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What can I do with this awkward empty area in my living room?

I live in a long skinny townhouse with 2 bedrooms uptairs and a continuous living room/dining room on the main floor.

Additional perspective shots:

(Standing in the awkward empty spot, facing living room)

(Standing in the awkward empty spot, facing front door)

Those window sills are only about 2.5 feet off the ground, and the plantation shutters open outward, so I can't really put anything up against that wall.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I like the idea of a plant. The L-shaped bench is neat too, but that molding on the wall sticks out about a half inch, so any flush furniture doesn't work.

Now to find a plant that won't kill or get eaten by my cats!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Anyone at all familiar with "eco friendly carpets"? We need to recarpet a house and the missus is 100% committed to "eco carpet with no dye or checmicals" which as far as I can tell means it costs more, looks and feels like poo poo, and has no stain protection qualities.

We have 3 cats and want a baby so it'd suck loving rear end for us. Maybe we should just do hardwoods

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Anyone have good or bad experiences with bamboo? Turns out we're concerned about 'toxins' in hardwood floors so this is my last option before killing myself

TIA

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well she's a woman in Donald Trump's America so she is most definitely having issues existing in the world.

Thanks for the link! I'm going to swipe a buddy's consumer reports login and check it out.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

I feel like they're expecting me to think this is GOOD?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah this is the poo poo the lady is insisting on and saying she literally won't live in the house unless that's the carpet

Sorta... wanting to call her bluff on this one. I don't want to die in a housefire, step on moth larvae, or have $16,000 of carpet instantly ruined by 3 cats and two sweaty humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Bunch of science words I don't recognize but it just sounded like "toxins" to me. We don't have any allergies or sensitivities, she's just an exceptionally granola hippie