Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ashcans posted:

No, the whole point of an eviction is to remove you before the lease is up. Once the eviction goes through, they can have the sheriff throw your poo poo on the curb

Skunkrocker posted:

I think you guys aren't seeing what I'm saying. By the time an eviction actually goes through my lease is up anyway. So what is their end game to evict me? Either way I have to leave. I'm confused.

You sound like my dumbass younger brother. Stop trying to get one over on the people who have the power to make you homeless and move on/out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

It's about 110 fahrenheit outside. I got home two hours ago with the AC set to 82; I set it to 77, business as usual. I just checked it, and it's cooled just under one degree in those two hours. This is with all the windows closed, blinds shut, vents open, and the sun behind a tree nearby.

Is this remotely normal? I've never bothered to check because usually I get home so late that the house is already down to 77 (thanks programmable thermostat).

(eta: this is a 1000 sqft 2nd floor apartment, central cooling)

In my experience, yes, especially if you're the top floor like ladyweapon asked. My place is at the top of a firetrap enclosed stairwell and it just spends all day accumulating heat and feeds it in all night. The only solution I've found is strategic window opening/fans/nudity.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm moving from LA to Sacramento very soon and I could use a quick sanity check to make sure I'm not overlooking something obvious. This isn't my first apartment move-out but it is the first time I'm moving out alone, and first time as the sole name on the lease; before now I always just co-habitated.

Here's my checklist, am I forgetting anything?

• Electric - turnoff date scheduled
  • Internet - turnoff date scheduled, drop off modem on my way out of town
  • Gas - turnoff date scheduled
  • DMV/government - need to file change of address forms
  • Update magazine subscription
  • Landlord walkthrough - scheduled for morning of last day
  • Final cleaning - ongoing but nearly complete
  • Packing - mostly done, I don't have a lot of things in genereal

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I just moved into a new place that's about 50% each hardwood/carpet. I already have a standup vacuum for monthly deep cleaning but space is at a premium and I keep it stowed away most of the time. What's the current goon go-to for hand vacuums for crumbs and such?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I'm living in a place with stall-style shower doors for the first time; they seem to be leaking, allowing water to spill out onto the floor. Is some leaking to be expected with that style of door, or should that be looked at by maintenance?

I'd have them come take a look at it if it's a significant amount of water, you don't want to end up liable for water damage down the line. Otherwise maybe a bath mat to absorb and hang it over the side once you get out?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My new house has a gas fireplace but I cannot find an igniter switch for it. It has the gas on/off knob, but no way that I can find to turn the gas into fire. Do I just throw a match in there to start it? That seems kinda dangerous, but I can't find any other method of ignition.

The property manager had no idea either and suggested I call a chimney company to come out but I feel like there's a really simple solution here that I'm missing.

My parents' gas fireplaces have no built-in igniters, they use one of those long trigger-pull lighters for lighting barbecues. I get the feeling this is normal, just buy some long matches or a BBQ lighter or find your courage and chuck a lit match in the general direction of "fire here"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Double post for a new question:

Anyone have opinions on security systems?

Last week I came home from work to a bunch of stuff in my house re-arranged and my dog had barked himself hoarse. No signs of forced entry anywhere, no valuables missing, just a room that was previously a mess of flattened boxes suddenly having the boxes neatly stacked in the middle of the room :wtf: I'm the only one here, my husband is out of town, and the dogs definitely didn't do it.

Option A is to get the security system up and running. The house came with a security system installed so I called up ADT to get an estimate to turn it on and it turns out it's a dinosaur of a system they no longer support and it's gonna cost $300 to put in a new one. I've been emailing the property manager since whatever the hell happened last week (I don't want to call it a break in but I don't know what it was) and it's possible we can get the property owners to foot the bill for the new system since they'd been using the security system as a selling point and it turns out it's obsolete. Even if they do foot the bill for the equipment we'll still be on the hook for $50 a month for the monitoring service.

Option B is to put a few Nest cameras around the house but the dogs will be constantly tripping the motion sensors. It'll be more money up front to point one at each exterior door but then there's no monthly fee after that but also no monitoring aside from us checking our phones in enough time to call the cops if someone breaks in.

Option C is to do nothing and chalk it up to the fact our house has a friendly cleaning ghost :ghost:

We're currently leaning towards options B or C.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Spring's coming, and in my new apartment I have a big balcony that gets full/partial South-facing sun all day so I want to grow an herb garden. Anyone have a recommended site for figuring out when and what to plant?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks for the ideas. Gonna cultivate the hell out of living things and then eat them :chord:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

They are also handy to have for emergencies and other unexpected expenses. I got caught out a bit between two apartments early after school and only had enough in liquid funds to cover rent , but thanks to a credit card I was able to eat for two weeks until payday. Didn't even pay any interest then IIRC.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

photomikey posted:

My first move would be, every time the guy stacks a mountain of dog food in front of my storage locker, to go up and ask him to move it so you can access your locker, then put something in your locker the size of a pencil box. When he stacks the mountain in front of your locker again, repeat the process and retrieve the pencil box. He should get the idea pretty quick, or get tired of moving all his poo poo every day and find a new place to put it.

Actually you should probably start by just asking politely that they store it somewhere else instead of doing passive aggressive antics like that. It's a totally valid request to be able to access something you pay for in your rent without asking a neighbor for what boils down to permission. If they say no you get the landlord involved.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

We're all going to at least need some details about this area because you appear to live in a some kind of medieval pantry.

Not that that's bad necessarily but I think it's fair to ask what's up.

npe: taxidermy may be your friend for this environment

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

That's cool as hell.

It looks like at least one of your windows looks out onto a pretty nice lawn, I'd try to build around that natural light if I were in your place. The storage tub tower isn't ideal but you could put a screen or something in front and take care of it. Landscape paintings, plants, natural kind of things to alleviate the dungeon vibe, and indirect lighting (a row along part of the roof above the headboard might be nice)

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

What could these electrical sockets halfway up my wall be for? The only thing I could think of is for a TV to hide the cables, but there's a ton of cable points here and none by there. I think I'm going to find a way to mount that little light there to cover it, but I'm curious as to whether they're meant for something else.

The lack of on/off switches on American sockets is a shame, as I keep having to pull the cable out to turn things off. It's a standard thing back home and I'm quite used to it, although I quite like the binding of the wall light switches to an electrical outlet like we have here. That confused me for a while, and I still occasionally turn my cable box off in our bedroom out of reflexes sometimes.

I can't really tell from your picture but if there is not a lamp above there it may be for one of those hanging plug-in lamps? I have one of those not six feet from where I'm sitting and a mid-wall outlet would make things look significantly less cable-y in here.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I live in a month-to-month in LA for like three years and rent only went up twice, on a yearly basis. YMMV, It comes down to landlord discretion I think.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I could use some advice, if anyone else has been in this situation. Last month I re-upped my lease because I like the place and it's close to work. Rent went up a few bucks but nothing huge. However they also changed the utilities distribution - now in addition to my base rent I get a postcard with water, sewer, trash, pest control... and something called CAM CHARGES. CAM charges is 50% of my bill (total for the month was about 62 bucks, so 31 in CAM).

Turns out, that's "Common Area Maintenance". To my mind, that's not a freaking utility, that's a fee associated purely with living there. I'm annoyed because at no point was this disclosed in advance. In fact, over the course of a month and half (since early September) and maybe a dozen in-person visits and phonecalls I basically had no info on the utilities situation until this card arrived over the weekend. No one in the office could/would give me any inkling on what I'd be paying, just that it's calculated based on my "usage" (i.e. solo occupant vs. large family) as a percentage of the entire bill for the complex. I even called the billing agency on the advice of the office, they gave me an estimate that turned out to be fairly close, but later the office says I shouldn't have been given that information? That's not unusual, unfortunately.

My question, goons: has anyone run into this kind of maintenance fee, especially when it's included as a utility? I do not want to pay it. It's not going to break me but frankly the front office has been a nightmare since I moved in (just ignorant of basic info, messing up details repeatedly, giving inaccurate info) and I wish that I hadn't re-upped but I'm stuck now. I'm hoping to speak to the property manager today so anything I can take in with me would help.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ah, I should say this is in Sacramento CA. I believe each apartment has an individual meter for water, and my electric is a separate bill. I'm really only concerned with the CAM charges since it dwarfs the other items on the bill.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm probably up a creek - I did sign the lease, and now I'm shocked that this one fee is so much higher than anyone indicated it would be. I spoke to the PM earlier, she said she's requested clarification from the billing agency and will call me back before close of business.

The actual language on the lease is very vague, I presume by design. Here's the relevant bit:

Resident shall pay for Common Area Maintenance fees as prorated on a monthly base as described in below. Formula for calculating service: [Total bill for property divided by the number of units and then split according to unit square footage and occupancy.]

In theory I don't object to paying some portion of communal maintenance , but the numbers just don't seem to line up. I pressed the PM pretty hard about what they're including but all I could get was "mainly landscaping and water for the grounds" - maybe I've been missing the hedge maze and topiary garden all this time, but otherwise I don't see how they could be spending that much.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Update on CAM fees situation: talked to an agent in the office who talked to the billing agency and what the agency says they're charging is completely different from what's on my lease. Also, not everyone in the complex is paying this fee, based on when their renewal was. lol i guess :shrug:

Mocking Bird posted:

I rent half of a duplex from an old hippie who owns three houses. Maintenance is his old burnout buddy but besides that it's great! I'm in the east bay of San Francisco.

So, uh, not that I'd surreptitiously take your place and identity or anything, but uh, what's your address?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Mocking Bird posted:

I stole this lease from someone who moved in back in 2007 and I have their rent control

God bless hippies and hippie cities

When I am dead it will pass to the hands of the one that vanquished me

I cast my gauntlet down

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ha! Double ha!

quote:

Hi Chard-

I have reviewed your lease along with the billing method supplied by our utility company. Your lease reads incorrectly, and the CAM fee requirement will be waived through your current lease term. I appreciate your feedback on the areas we can approve, and for pointing out the maintenance issues. We will handle them as soon as possible. Please let me know if you need anything further.

Thank you,
Regional Vice President

Take that, leasing office that can't find its rear end with both hands and never fixes common areas to begin with.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I sleep on a thin futon and my back has never felt better.

e: this one but I payed a lot less https://www.amazon.com/Futon-Furnit...79103113&sr=1-4

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

photomikey posted:

If you live in the USA, home of the Obamaphone and never-ending unemployment, where anyone with a hangnail can get permanent disability, no, you're not hosed, they basically have to provide you with heat. Call and make a stink. Call one of these "tenants rights" folks. They will do it by nightfall.

If you're truly a piece of poo poo, just keep not paying and they'll keep chasing you and nothing bad ever happens. If you are middle class, they'll bill you for the gas you stole, then late fees and penalties and service charge, and $30 worth of natural gas will eventually be $500. Welcome to the USA.

This. This times a thousand. I don't care what lies you tell the gas company, but loving own up to yourself that you thought you were pulling one over, so internally, you learn a lesson for next time. "Forgetting" is that you were supposed to call Monday and you don't call until Wednesday. Three months and nine days is... hey, they didn't notice, free heat!

Wow dude you have certainly got some opinions here huh??

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

photomikey posted:

It hits kind of a sore spot with me. He sort of owns up to the fuckup, which is commendable. After being a landlord for a while you have really heard every version of this, and it always ends with "but there's nothing I could have done", and there's always something you could have done.

Oh right you're that guy, figures.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

For those with itemized utility bills, what's your average for sewer service? My bill just for that component was ~15 these last two months and now it has tripled to ~45, with the only notification being the postcard that arrives like three days before rent is due. Leasing office is claiming that the billing company didn't do their homework and massively underestimated what the city charges. I don't think that holds water for a number of reasons, but I'm curious what others pay? This is a single occupancy one-bedroom apartment and apparently they're just dividing the total by doors and not usage (ostensibly the whole point of switching to this billing company!).

Chard fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 5, 2017

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

extravadanza posted:

Probably depends a whole lot on your municipality and how they have decided to handle it. Generally I pay around $40 (Indiana) for combined sewer/trash and the cost only wavers by $2 or $3 per month based mostly on how many trash pickup days they have. Perhaps did you get miss-charged for somebody else's large item pickup somehow? I think my trash service will tack on $30+ for pickup of large items depending on size/type of item. Also the price you pay only includes pickup for so many bags of trash... did you go over that number?

edit:grammar

No, no large pickups or anything like that - it's a large complex and there are dumpsters around that everyone just throws into, so no way of checking usage. Actually I looked at the bill again and trash is a separate 4.99 fee.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Renegret posted:

I loving hate apartment hunting.

I don't have any questions, I just want to complain.

It is the worst, goondolences.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Just wear a sexy maid outfit all the time

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

What's the best gently caress off lock I can get?

I don't know but I bet this guy does: https://www.youtube.com/user/bosnianbill

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Apartment hunting in/around Sacramento right now. poo poo is getting pretty brutal with expanding Bay Area influence :( For real if anyone has a lead on studio/1br within 20-30 miles hit me up.

I hate my life.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Suburb or city? And yeah, bay area is loving Sacramento up pretty badly, and it's only getting worse.

At this point, whatever. I haven't had to move in the last two years and it's amazing how much things have changed. But, I have a showing on Tuesday for a sweet upstairs 1 br in an old farmhouse-looking thing, hopefully that comes together.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Depends on how far out you want to go, and in which direction.

sent you a PM

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Chillyrabbit posted:

So think I finally got my new place figured out, but it comes with no furniture. I can probably muddle my way through most of it but the big ticket item I worry about is the mattress and a little on the bed frame.

Any good recommendations for either? I can always do an IKEA everything but want to see my other options.

Don't give your money to Big Mattress, just get a mat of some kind and sleep on the floor. Spinal health and better sleep awaits you.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

when i lived in an upstairs apartment i would usually leave for work super early. apparently walking the few steps to my staircase/walking down the stairs would wake my bottom neighbor's child and they had trouble getting him to sleep after that, so when they told me about the problem i just started putting my boots on on my porch instead of upstairs. crazy how that works!

way to express basic consideration for the needs of others, loving owned and cucked :geno:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

California renter here. Today is the third (non-consecutive) day this month my unit has not had hot water. Do I have any way to request a partial refund for the time that they do not provide this portion of the rental agreement?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

photomikey posted:

Just ask for a rent credit. What's the worst that will happen? They'll say no?

away with you

Toshimo posted:

I'm sure you know the answer to that is that so much worse can happen.

this is why I am asking here, are there any legal recourse here?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks for the reply, and yeah, they definitely got a polite voicemail the first day. More recently they left a note on our door on the 8th that the replacement part won't be arriving until tomorrow earliest. Fortunately I have access to a shower at my office but this loving sucks.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

RabbitMage posted:

Tl;dr: I feel I need to talk to management about some extreme behavior from a neighbor, but other neighbors already think I'm a narc and I worry about retaliation, and I'm not sure what to do.

We've had a lot of issues with our upstairs neighbor making noise at night, but there are two young kids up there and we assumed that was why, and we didn't want to be jerks about kids.

However, the kids disappeared at the end of the school year and it's become apparent that the late night running, thumping, throwing/dropping things are the adult who lives there.

And now she's having screaming matches over the phone sometime between the hours of 11 PM and 2 AM, and whatever else she's doing during these arguments rattles the windows. It can't be tuned out. I like to mind my business, but it was bad enough I put my ear to the wall to listen in and make sure she wasn't being beaten to death (she wasn't).

This kind of stuff is a HUGE anxiety/PTSD issue for me, and beyond that no one should have to listen to screaming matches at 2 AM. I have to bring this to management.

EXCEPT: I seriously worry about retaliation from neighbors.

A few weeks ago a cop came to her apartment with some papers. I was on my way to my car to go to work, and he stopped me on my porch to ask if anyone was living in the upstairs apartment, because there was no answer (interesting, because I heard yelling and scrambling up there ten minutes before--someone in the complex sounded a siren).

Later that morning, the neighbor knocked on our door, wanted to know what I told the cop--meaning someone in another apartment and by extension, me, because they told her some white guy talked to the cop, and I'm the k ly white guy in our row.

Moving isn't an option for us right now, or we would. But I also can't keep losing full nights of sleep to this.

You're paying management to deal with poo poo like this, it is literally their sole - and insufficient - justification for existence. That being said have you tried talking to the upstairs neighbor?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Strap them to the toilet seat and give them the Torture of 1000 Drops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

what is the best way to just get the gently caress rid of some furniture i can't physically dispose of by myself?