Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Getting a new apt with an old friend and trying to figure out the rent split. It's 2b/2ba and I'm taking the master bed (~15% larger) with attached master bath (shower only) and walk-in closet. He's going to take the smaller bed, hall bath (w/ tub). I was thinking 60/40. The place is cheap enough tha that either of us could afford it on our own and we've been friends for at least a decade so I'm just trying to keep it fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ok, so I need a sanity check on this:

I moved into a new apartment at the beginning of April and it's been one thing after another since we moved in.

Yesterday, Monday, it came to a head again.  We had 2 separate things going on.

1) Extermination - This was initiated by the apartment complex for the entire building as a tenant upstairs that had been evicted had been apparently living in squalor and the infestation started to spread once their junk was tossed.  We hadn't seen anything in our apartment, but the common storage area off the lobby appeared pretty infested.  We were notified by flyer last week and had to pull everything from all the kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities.

2) Electrician - Again, initiated by the apartment complex for the entire building.  Apparently, the plan was to replace all the breaker boxes in the individual apartments.  This was supposed to happen Friday/Monday.  Last Tuesday, we came home to find all the power had dropped out for a significant portion of the day, there was a mess in the kitchen (location of breakers), and the next morning we found that the breaker for the hot water heater was turned off (not tripped) and we all had cold showers.  Called Wednesday morning and after several calls and heated discussions it was revealed that the electricians had gone to the wrong building and swapped all our boxes already.  We received no notice of the Tuesday visit and no documentation was left.  On Wednesday we were advised of the Friday/Monday visit by flyer.

So, we came home yesterday.  And there were a number of issues.
Item 1:

This is the ceiling (air duct) above the washer/dryer and breaker box (in the kitchen).  The edges are all soft as if they had been wet.

Item 2:

Screw missing from wallplate (see below for GFCI issues).

Item 3:

Dryer exhaust receptacle has been kicked apart.

Item 4:

Wall plate removed and not replaced.

Item 5:
{No picture}

Hot water breaker turned off, again.

No documentation of the visit(s) was left, again.  We aren't sure if it was just the exterminators or if the electrician was also back.

In addition, the following images display other issues currently:

The lobby ceiling outside our door has had Silly String on it since the 4th of July weekend.

More silly string on the storage room door and notices still up about exterminators from July and a storage locker problem from June.

We've also had the following issues:

Kitchen Flood:
7/28 - Washing Machine backs up into kitchen sink and overflows causing water damage in kitchen, living room, dining room and a bedroom closet.  Over the next few days, maintenance comes in and out several times without warning and leaving no documentation.  Only through literally dozens of phone calls (eventually culminating with the property manager), we sort of get a half answer that it's probably done.  We now have an ugly seam torn in the carpet and uneven padding.  ~$100 in miscellaneous loss from water damage as well.

The GFCI ordeal:
When we moved in, the only GFCIs were in the bathrooms, none in the kitchen.  This is especially troubling in the kitchen as there is an outlet almost immediately above the sink (which happens to be the outlet dedicated exclusively to the washer/dryer).  I questioned this, and after getting a smart rear end answer about county code from the maintenance supervisor, they came out and added a couple GFCIs in the kitchen area.  One of these was the same outlet that is shown missing a screw above.  Unfortunately, the way the kitchen is wired, that's on the same line as the refrigerator.  This resulting in the fridge tripping the GFCI 3 times in 3 weeks before we got maintenance back out and their solution was to just pull the GFCI back out.  That was 6/24, so that outlet definitely got screwed in properly then, as I checked it out after it was replaced.  Again, ~$100 in loss from spoiled food.

Washer failure:
Washer broke and wouldn't cycle on 5/21.  Maintenance repaired.

Lack of A/C:
We went about a week without A/C ~5/11-5/16.  They had to come out 3 times because the first 2 times, they said they fixed it and didn't.  It's pretty easy to test, since cold air comes out of the vents within seconds when working and warm air when not.  This was the first time I recall having maintenance coming in and not leaving a note.

Issues at Move-In:
In addition to the GFCI stuff, the following issues cropped up at move-in:
1) Kitchen exhaust fan had loose screws or other debris inside causing maintenance to have to open it and remove them.
2) Lint filter in dryer was rusted out (they claim to have sanded it down, but we still have the old rear end nasty filter).
3) The outlets for the washer dryer were arranged in this fasion:

That's a grounded plug (3-prong) plugged into a non-grounded (2-prong) spacer with the grounding clip not attached to the screw.  It is situated almost directly above the kitchen sink.  When I raised concerns with this, they replaced the spacer with a 3-outlet tap.  There's still no protection for that if it gets wet.

Now, most of these are minor issues, but I feel it's really adding up.  I don't think that the constant level of issues (every week or two at this point) and the fact that maintenance shows up unannounced and virtually never leaves and documentation are acceptable.  I think I should be able to come home and not wonder if someone was in my apartment or what the hell they did.  I think that, if I'm promised a callback, and maintenance takes my e-mail, phone number, and text number, I should be able to be kept in the loop on my maintenance requests, especially when they are getting done wrong regularly.  And I think that, combined with my regular issues, the state of the lobby shows clearly that the complex clearly doesn't give a poo poo.

Am I overreacting here, or am I justified?  Should I start compiling all my maintenance tickets, e-mails, and pictures into a log to start looking to get out of this lease?

Please send help.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such posts as http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411978&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=64#post418616955 or from such educational films as "Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun".

Picking up where that left off, it turns out that the Electricians were in our apartment with not a note left a bunch of times and just kept randomly leaving breakers off or something. At least, that's my working assumption. They eventually sent out an electrician a couple of Saturdays ago who replaced a breaker, but said he couldn't find any issues. He explicitly told me if any more breakers blew, to not reset it, and instead call the emergency maintenance number and have them come out, document it, and call the electrician.

That moves us forward to last Sunday. Run the washer and dryer and the breaker blows. Call maintenance. Wait ~5 hours for them to finally show up, go "yup its blown", and promise to call the electrician.

In the meantime, I review the electrical situation and deduce that my 12 amp Dryer, 5 amp Washer, and the rest of the outlets on that side of the kitchen, including the microwave, are all on one 20 amp breaker. Even just the W/D is clearly cutting it too close.

So, I get to Wednesday and I've heard nothing. I call the office at 11am (they are 9-5 and I had to make time during work). I get Marshall. gently caress. I explain about the breaker, the emergency maintenance, and that I need to know what's going on with it so I know when we need to unplug our stuff cause PS3s/Xboxen can be a bit temperamental with power cycling and I don't want our UPSes draining for no reason. He asks me to hold. Comes back a few minutes later and tells me "All the electrical work in your building should have long been completed." gently caress. No, Marshall, you disregarded everything I loving told you. Here. Let me repeat it all again. You rear end in a top hat. Now, he says that maintenance is all out of the office and he will get with them and call me back.

4:30 rolls around and he calls me back. Now that everyone is ready to leave for the day, he wants to "let me know that the maintenance supervisor said that all of the electrical work in my building should have been completed." Holy poo poo. What is wrong with you, Marshall. Proceed to tell the whole story a 3rd time to the same person on the same day. "So, you are saying this is a new incident." I hate him with every fibre of my soul. He says that he'll have maintenance look at it in the morning.

Interlude: In addition to the electrical problems, someone shattered something large and made of glass in our parking lot over the weekend. I mentioned that there were large hunks of glass all over the parking lot and in the lobby/stair area of the apartment building when I called Marshall. He told me on the 4:30 call that maintenance had cleaned it up. Got home ~5:30. Glass still everywhere.

Today (Thursday). I call and leave a message for Heather to call me ~10am. About noon, having heard nothing, I call back and leave a message for either Heather or Diana to call me. Shortly thereafter, Diana calls.

I explain the entire sordid affair, electric and glass. For good measure, I mention that one of the treadmills in the Fitness Center is broken. She promises to get to the bottom of all of it and call me back. At the time, she says that maintenance is currently in my apartment working on the issue and that there was "a bad element". I'm stupefied, but roll with it. She gets the entire lowdown on Marshall. Again.

Unknown to me, my roommate stops at the Leasing Office a few minutes later to pick up a UPS package. He mentions all the issues and they let him know very clearly that they have heard everything from me and are working on it.

I get off work at 5. Decide gently caress da police and swing by the Leasing Office on my way back. Marshall sees me and retreats into an office. When I find Diana, she doesn't realize who I am until I speak to her. Her face almost hits the floor. She begs off that today was the last day for rent and that she hadn't had time to call me back. But she promises everything is fixed.

I get home. Glass all over the parking lot. Noticeably less glass inside.

Find the hang tag. Maintenance dude "replaced the heating element on the hot water heater". I have no idea why he though this was relevant in any loving way. The same 20 amp breaker is still on the same lines.

We find that he didn't bother to get the air out of any of the pipes. All the sinks and showers spit for several minutes.

Now the washer won't complete a cycle. It had done this occasionally before, but now it won't work at all. Pretty sure it's from the air in the pipes after the water heater was unhooked. gently caress.

So, I have two things I guess I have to do tomorrow:

1- I took pictures of the outlet and dryer exhaust. I previously called Code Enforcement and they said the dryer can't vent inside, even if it is electric. I'm going to send them the pictures and confirm that Code is being broken.

2- I'm going to figure out how to reach Anita, the property manager. And I'm going to compile everything into a big long mega-email and drop it on her. Because, clearly, Diana isn't getting it done.

"gently caress." - Jimmy McNulty

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Moving into a literal gooncave this weekend.

Need suggestions on:
  • Where to get things to put on the feet of my bed/desk to protect the tile since I don't want to put rugs everywhere if I xan help it. (I'm not even sure what the proper name for them is to search.
  • Safe, yet tasteful ways to possibly cover all of those electric conduits on the walls.
  • Electric Logs for the fireplaces maybe?

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 26, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nielsm posted:

If you really wanted the electric installation to be invisible, you'd have to do some major reconstruction. E.g. you could tear up the tile floor, install cables below it, and have outlets below a few removable tiles.

I'm renting so that isn't really an option

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ashcans posted:

You just need to go all in and decorate as if you are actually living in a fortress. Tapestries on the walls (that will cover those conduits!), throw down a fur rug, hang a coat of arms over the fireplace.

You have no idea how tempting this is.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
My brother just got his lease for a new place and asked me to look it over, and it looks sketchy as hell. I'm not an expert on these things, but if anyone would be able to look it over for common gotchas, and would be willing to check it out via pm/email, I'd much appreciate it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ladyweapon posted:

Why not just redact the identifying information and post it here? There are a couple landlords who actively post in the thread. :)

I don't have a good method for redacting a PDF where I'm at. :shobon:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Any suggestions for decorating the walls of my gooncave? I know it's not gonna be easy since they are p non-standard.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Anne Whateley posted:

Buuuut if your desire is coming from "I want my gooncave to look better" and not "I must hang my swords," there are a lot of other things you could do that would be more effective than wall art.

Go on...

I mean, yeah, a couple of grand for a new bedroom set would be nice, and the bed's getting replaced as soon as I can decide on which mattress type I can compromise on (since I basically just want something rock hard, but that's a non-starter for everyone else). But, I'd like to hear any suggestions.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Chard posted:

We're all going to at least need some details about this area because you appear to live in a some kind of medieval pantry.

Not that that's bad necessarily but I think it's fair to ask what's up.

npe: taxidermy may be your friend for this environment

I live in a basement apartment of a 19th century tavern converted into a home converted into apartments. Interior and exterior walls are 18" rough stone. 2 non-functional fireplaces wired for electric (hello, artificial logs). Tile floors. ~600 sq ft. No storage space to speak of.

View from rear:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Unrelated to interior decorating, I have a river out back where I chill and listen to the ballgame, read my books, and drink beer.

It's pretty rad.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Anne Whateley posted:

If you can post a floor plan or more panorama pics, I can fully sperg in a personally satisfying way.

Finally got the time to do this. Pls be gentle.

Some are repeats.

Here's the exterior again. It's the only entrance to the unit.

Entryway/Front half of kitchen:

Back half of kitchen/Bathroom Door:

No bathroom pic, but here's my sweet shower curtain:

Front half of Dining/Living Area:

Side of Dining/Living Area (the opposite side of that bookshelf in the kitchen is a pantry):

Rear half of Dining/Living Area:

And, the repeats of the bedroom:

Obviously going through all the storage bins and boxes, consolidating and getting rid of stuff is high on my to-do list.

But, other than that, I'm not sure at all what I'd like to do with the place beyond keeping the maroon/black/gold color scheme.

Also, it's a bit cramped right now because I've got a lot of stuff here temporarily for having sweet goonmeets out back (cornhole boards, coolers, tables, folding chairs).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What, if anything, should I expect to eventually be able to salvage from an apartment that:
  • Flooded with mud/water from 2-24" by room.
  • Was all tile flooring, no carpeting.
  • Was drained/scrubbed within 48 hours.
  • Has had power off and on, but no AC.
  • Has a fridge/freezer full of the absolute most perishable items.
  • Will be sealed for over a month.

I assume any metal furnishings, maybe some wood furnishings, pending mold inspection. Glassware and tableware?

I figure the bed, any pressboard furnishings, any clothes, most electronics are a lost cause?

I'm trying to estimate what I will need to replace and what I might be able to salvage so I don't buy anything in duplicate at my new place (wherever that ends up being).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SEKCobra posted:

Can I ask why it gets sealed for a month?

It's structurally unsafe and that's the estimate they gave me on repairs before I can get back in.

For instance, we had another storm Monday night and the porch (my only entrance) fell off into a sinkhole.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Renters insurance doesn't cover floods.

Flood insurance is prohibitively expensive and, from neighborhood reports, is being denied payment because "the water needs to be high enough to flood the basement and come back out the front door or it doesn't count."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

photomikey posted:

It's unclear to me the state of things right now. If the place was cleaned and scrubbed and then sealed, you're in the clear. But why wasn't the fridge emptied?

Because my landlord is actually a family that owns the truck repair business behind me and happens to rent out the houses that they also own in the area. They mean well, but sometimes the dim brother makes decisions that don't end well (like when they sealed a bird's nest in my vents after I mentioned that it was in there and it stunk up the whole place).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SEKCobra posted:

I don't see how they can "seal" the place legally, just get in there and salvage.

E:
They can certainly declare it unsafe for living, but salvage work can be done in unsafe environments, and if it's been scrubbed it isn't even unsafe.

The porch fell off, the door's been removed, and it's boarded up with plywood.

The entire neighborhood is still limited daytime access enforced by the police to prevent looting.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
This is crazy and unacceptable, no?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Yes, absolutely. Do not pass go, do not give $985. If they're trying to slip that in there, I wouldn't be surprised if there's other unacceptable poo poo sprinkled throughout the rest of the lease.

I mean, if you really want to check the rest of it:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

IRQ posted:

It looks like someone googled leases and decided to use one for a commercial space. Is this some rando trying to rent out his basement or something?

Architectural firm that chopped up the mansion-sized house their offices used to be in and is renting it out as apartments. I really don't think they've got a handle on the whole "residential lease" thing, but the apartment is very nice.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I called them and they sent over this amended version. Are there any particular things I should push to get added?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Cripes. I just noticed they left "twelve (6)".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Woop! Woop!

I have pics of my new apartment.

One of the workers even left me the best/worst easter egg.

http://imgur.com/a/CmDbv

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What are these mounts for? Top only, no bottom.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Cool. I'll probs just get some bigass curtains and call it a day.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I moved the bulk of my stuff (from the subset that was deemed keepable) from my old apartment to the new one yesterday.

I woke up this morning to a tap-tap-tap sound from the kitchen.

The hose from the wall to the washing machine spring a leak overnight and ran all over the kitchen floor.

My aquatic misadventures continue.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hooray for new apartment.

It's not as ~gooncavey~ as the old one, but give it time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

extravadanza posted:

Yep, 100% Gooncave. No decoration is as bad as sexy anime babes on the walls. Is it a college dorm? I see no evidence of a Bathroom even. Theres a regular single door, which I imagine is the apartment door and then the double doors, which I imagine is the closet.

:notsureifserious: but, here's the full album of pix from before I got furniture in.

Toshimo posted:

Woop! Woop!

I have pics of my new apartment.

One of the workers even left me the best/worst easter egg.

http://imgur.com/a/CmDbv

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm moving back to floodhaus at the end of the month. :v:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Problem! posted:

I just had an apartment complex pull a bait and switch on me. They told me the specific unit I wanted was available so I put in an application and paid the $175 holding fee for it, then when I went to finish the paperwork they were like "oh btw the unit you wanted isn't actually available we can put you in a second floor unit instead". No I wanted the first floor unit for several specific reasons. What are my odds of getting the $175 back? Or should I just eat it as a lesson learned about the shadiness of the management of that complex?

No. Fight that poo poo to the ends of the Earth.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
So, uhhh, it just hit me that things are a bit weird with the place I'm moving out of.

My lease ends on March 1st.

I haven't heard from my landlord since October, when they made a bunch of promises to fix certain things (hole in wall, missing outlet, unnumbered door, etc.). None of these things have been addressed, and the list keeps growing.

Gas and Electric company gave me a $270 credit in December, zeroed out my bill, cut me a check, and then never billed me again. I assume this has to do with the fact that the landlord mistakenly wired half my apartment behind the apartment downstairs, who was getting billed for a portion of my usage. I have received no explanation for this.

I haven't paid February's rent yet. I'm not holding out or anything, I just don't know where to send the check since I haven't actually paid anything other than the deposit since I moved in and I delivered that to their temporary office at the landlord's house. I don't know who to address the rent to, physically, or what methods they'll take, so I'm just sort of at a loss on exactly how to pay them. In addition, it's supposed to be prorated for 7 days since I didn't move in until September 8th, so that needs to be ironed out.

I rewrote the lease when I moved in since they sent me a completely unworkable commercial lease. They signed it. It has no provisions for what happens after March 1st. No extension, nothing.

I've verbally accepted a new lease on February 25th to move back to my old apartment.

I'm not really looking for advice (but I'm sure I'll get it), I'm just up at 4am and realizing how surreal the situation is.

Stay safe, haunted goons.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Even now, the water comes for me:

Also, my landlord's secretary just called to tell me that I should fill some containers with water because the water is getting shut off and I should have water on hand if I want to use the toilet.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The heat pump in my apartment is failing to keep up in fantastic ways. I pressed them about it before I moved back in and they said they got it fixed. I went back over Friday and they had someone come out again. For the last several days it's been burning :10bux: a day sitting on Aux Heat and still failing to get back up to the 72 it's been set at. I e-mailed the other landlady last night and she actually got back to me promptly at 10pm on a Saturday night saying she would try to get an emergency guy over in the morning. We'll see. It's 56 on the inside now. Still set at 72.

ME IRL:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
In TYOOL 2017 why would anyone type out piecemeal snippets of their landlord's claims instead of just snapping a pic of the document, cropping out the PII, and uploading it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Problem! posted:

I don't really care all that much, I'm only peeved because I have dogs and what if he opened our gate while the dogs were in the yard and they ran off or they jumped on him and knocked him over?

Have you called him and talked to him?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dick Trauma posted:

If it's like my experience it's a combination of low refrigerant/refrigerant leak and a balky compressor due to a bad capacitor. It took six visits from the shady HVAC technician to get it completely resolved. The AUX heat will keep running and accomplish very little since it's only there to provide a boost if your unit calls for heat when there's a significant differential between outside air and what you're set for.

They found and fixed a leak, but problems persist. Waiting for the first bill to drop before I fight this fight again.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Dear Goons,

I was finally moving out of the Floodhaus this weekend.

Can you guess how that turned out?

Spoiler: Apparently, you can have a "Thousand-Year Flood" a mere two years after the last one.

Another car was swept into mine, and the bumper is trashed and Check Engine light is on, but it runs fine, so I drove it home.

Apartment is turbo-hosed.

View from the road:

The entrance (that standing water is a 15ft deep sinkhole):

Interior:

But, my new landlord called to check and see if I was ok, since he saw the flood on the news.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 28, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mocking Bird posted:

I hope you upgraded your renters insurance after last time, unluckiest goon in the world

April 23rd: Drunk driver hits my parked car out front and dies. Car is totaled.
May 8th: Buy brand new car.
May 24th: Police wake me up. A new drunk driver has hit and run my new car.
May 27th: Flood #2.

My insurance company was very confused about me calling in a new claim when I hadn't even made it into the body shop for last week's claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
25db through the walls is not the same as 25db at the source.

If the washing machine is putting >25db through the walls, that's the landlord's problem.