Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I need help. I've been at my new place for a month and change and my landlord has turned out to be a really intrusive rear end in a top hat. Tonight he sent an email saying he's planning on using the two spare rooms in the house for Airbnb. It was written in my lease that there was a possibility for Airbnb at a later time but nothing concrete. I've made it clear with him that I don't want Airbnb. Well two of my roommates who signed before I did don't have any Airbnb stipulations in their leases and both of them are moving out before November ends. I don't want to be tied to a sinking ship thanks to my lease and if they leave that leaves me with the creepy basement tenant and the landlord who takes three days to change the lock on one door.

So I want out. I've already paid first and last as well as November's rent, but the landlord says he wants to start the Airbnb in December and I absolutely do not want to be in the house when that happens. I'm back to looking at houses and I hope I can line something up. If push comes to shove and I draw the ultimatum of Airbnb or my lease, is there any way I can break my lease and get my last month's deposit back presuming I can swing moving out before December? I know about the 60 days notice but he's springing this poo poo on us at 9:40pm via e-mail so if there's any way I can escape I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's the wording that is confusing me. This is how he ended the email:

"However, if this is not your thing, then feel free to give me notice. I plan to start opening the house to the AirBnB experience this coming December 2018."

Does that mean give notice of our desire to not have Airbnb or does that mean "it's happening anyways if you don't like it give me notice so you can cancel your lease"?

Is there anything I can do because my housemates' leases don't have anything about Airbnb in them?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 13, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, I've decided to leave. I've spoken with the two housemates who are already moving out and they've shown me a shitload of passive aggressive emails he's sent them. If they're gone, I'm gone too. I can put up with a bad landlord if I like the tenants, but if the tenants leave and I'm stuck with a jerk, I have no reason to stick around.

I've got two viewings tomorrow and if they go well I'm going to see if I can get my last month's rent back and move out before November's finished.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Update. I messaged my landlord requesting the termination of my lease and I made sure everyone else in the house was forwarded the email as well, just in case he decided to play a game of "he said she said". I argued that I haven't been comfortable with his constant presence in the house infringing on my privacy, and that giving 18 days notice of a major change like introducing AirBnb is insufficient for me to give a 60 days notice. I've managed to wrangle back my deposit and he's accepted that I will be gone by the end of the month. So, whether I find another place or not, I still managed to get my money back and get out of a potential housing hell situation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I went to look at a room in Little Italy today and while I think two of the people there were enthusiastic the house mom had concerns about my economic stability. I don't start my new job until next Friday and she's concerned that I may not be able to pay bills on time, even with a safety net from my parents. I told her I could get her some references from my former landlords but I don't know if it will be enough to convince her to take a chance on me. Does anyone have some suggestions on what I could do to try and strengthen my position?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SEKCobra posted:

Give her cash in advance?

I already told her I have a blank check for first and last. I don't know if that'll convince her. I'm rather anxious because I start next week and I still don't have a place to stay in the city and there is gently caress all listings available in my price range that aren't gender blocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Johnny Truant posted:

What... is a house mom? :confused:

Basically someone who, either by consensus of the tenants or by the will of the landlord, tends to be the person who runs the house's day to day stuff, making sure people do their cleaning schedule and sometimes (such as in this particular case) handles payments to the landlord. This girl is technically subleasing rooms so she can keep a good price for the house while keeping the agreement in her name.

Anyways, I found another room today that is closer to my work and it looks a lot nicer so I'm going with it instead.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 24, 2019