Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Know any friends who work at bookstores? Hit them up for boxes first. The stuff laying around the back of a Barnes and Noble can take almost anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Are you looking to live solo, or with roommates?

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Just make sure you're dealing with the actual landlord. I've lived in a number of cities, and NYC is absolutely overrun with people renting apartments they don't actually have any authority to rent. Fun times when you move in, only for the real landlord to notice that you're living there. (It happens)

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Pudgygiant posted:

If you have a list of amenities you want both in the complex and in the surrounding area and the first complex you look at is perfect, it's a waste of time to look at 4 different places for the same price. Do your research before you tour, schedule your top 2 choices as your first tours, and if one of them stands out pull the trigger. And loving get something that YOU like. It doesn't matter if your friends think it'll be a great place to party or your girlfriend likes the shower pressure. gently caress them, you're the one that has to live there.

This is some of the best advice in the thread.

When I was looking for my current place, my roomie was all about checking every single apartment in our price range in the entire city. Which is insane.

It took some persuading to get him to realize that if you find a place that is exactly what you want, exactly where you want to live, and charges exactly what you want to pay... go for it right away. Because it probably won't be there after you've spent another aggravating weekend or two looking at places that most likely will not measure up.

Your friends don't live there. They won't be living there. If they're really your friends, they'll visit you in whatever building you move into.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Hawkeye posted:

I'll be working at Brigham and Women's Hospital (Postdoc), and sharing a place with my wife who will be looking for a job in the area. My future boss told me his other postdocs tend to live in Brighton/Allston, Brookline, or Cambridge. This is by nature a temp job so we are interested in renting.

We would very much like to live in a row house/brownstone/townhouse given the choice, but also want to keep to around $1400/month on rent and don't know what is or is not feasible. The highest we are willing to go right now is $1700 a month.

I'll check out the website though, thanks

If I were you, I'd seriously consider Jamaica Plain. JP Center, especially.