Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

EtaBetaPi posted:

Not unless you enjoy being thrown out at a whim.

No, he'd still have rights as long as he can show he's been paying. Still not the best idea though. Unless it's a case where his friend's parents bought a house in the area for their kids to live in during school or something. Then it could possibly be win/win for everybody. On the other hand, if it's just because he's to cheap to pay a subleasing fee it's probably a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Comstar posted:

I'm looking at apartments and a lot of them don't have a place for a full-size dishwasher.

Every apartment I've ever been in either had a dishwasher or didn't. Washer/Dryer is the only appliance I've even seen that had hook-ups or a reserved space that wasn't always included.

I can't think of any reason to justify buying a dishwasher if it isn't included. Just handwash your stuff. The extra cost and hassle doesn't in any way justify it.

Washer/Dryer stacks rather than two separate side by side machines are fine. I've never heard of a dryer that didn't need a vent though. I can't imagine that the expense would be worse than a luandromat or sending your laundry out if you don't have hook-ups.

Are you really that opposed to doing chores of any kind?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 19, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Laundromats are a massive loving pain in the rear end. Having laundry machines in your place turns laundry from a miserable chore that you need to practically plan your day around into a simple task that can be done whenever you have a few minutes.

Laundromats suck, but I got the impression that the poster doesn't have hookups for anything in their apartment if they are looking at stuff like countertop dishwashers and ventless dryers. Trying to jerryrig stuff and buy niche equipment is very unlikely to be worth he hassle and expense. Much easier to get a place with the amenities you consider essential or suck it up and spend a day at the laundromat.

If you really want a dishwasher, then either only look at places with dishwashers or say "A dishwasher is worth X amount extra per month to me". Same for Washer/Dryer. Though for washer/dryer if you can find a place with hook-ups but no appliences, you can probably get a used set off craigslist.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 19, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

If you live in a place for five years and a landlord keeps all your deposit because the carpet is worn done near the entryway and he has to replace all of it, that's probably BS.

Also illegal. Carpet depreciates over 5 or 7 years (don't remember which), and a landlord can only charge you for whatever percentage was left if you destroy it(at least in the US). So for example, if the carpet was a year old when you moved in, and had to be replaced when you left two years later, they can only charge you for whatever percentage hadn't been depreciated, not the full cost. Most things that wear out over the course of a few years are similar. The IRS has depreciation tables for landlords for that kind of things.

Now, if you punch a hole in the wall, that's a different story.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Chemmy posted:

I don't get it, do you think more people in one apartment means they use more heat?

Well, if by "heat" he means the gas bill, then they would use a lot more. Water heaters are almost always gas and if the stove or a dryer is gas as well then it can really start to add up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

immakiku posted:

Why did my landlord insist on getting deposit/first month's rent in bank check?

Do you mean cashier's check?

Did you pay it the day you moved in or something? I could see them wanting a cashiers check if they wouldn't have time to make sure your check clears before you get the keys.

Unless you mean they wanted something other than cash. In which case it's because they would prefer not to rent out to drug dealers or people otherwise working under the table.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

daggerdragon posted:

Whatever you're planning on bringing, cut that amount in half. Consolidate as much as you can. Don't bring records/CDs, burn them to MP3s. Don't bring DVDs, you probably have a Redbox around. Don't bring furniture.

Gonna disagree with this part of your post, or at least the DVD and furniture part. Having a good DVD collection is nice and can even be helpful in getting friends initially and ladies later on. Same goes for having a comfortable couch or futon as opposed to the $49 target futon that most people have.

Don't bring anything you don't mind getting puked on though. And seconding leave the door propped open when you're there, and locked if you so much as step out to take a piss.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 3, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Aggro posted:

bubble wrap,

For anything other than family heirlooms, crumpled up newspapers are far more cost effective and just as good as bubblewrap.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tatos posted:

I need to find a place in Santa Cruz. I arrive there at the 4th and have a room at my university for 5 nights. Then I will get kicked out.

Being from Germany I don't have any renters history or whatever, and I will probably pay the rent in cash every month. Do you think that's a problem?

I hope it's going to be possible to find something in those days...does someone have some advice on how to increase my chances of success?

And of course one final question: Does someone happen to know someone in SC with a room for me? (just asking...)

THANKS! :cheers:

Wait, why are you getting kicked out after 5 nights?

If you are coming in from abroad I'd seriously recommend just going with whatever the university's upperclassmen housing options are. That way you don't have to worry at all about scummy landlords, deposits, furniture, or any of that junk.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

d3rt posted:

Excellent idea, thank you. If I want to avoid the damage caused by the spikes on the mat, would it be dumb to get a 'smooth' mat meant for hardwood floors and use on a low pile carpet?

The spikes don't damage, they just leave an imprint the same as furniture does.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Stew Man Chew posted:

All right I'd like some input on an issue I've been arguing on facebook about :

Girlfriend and I are looking to move into a house instead of an apartment for a rental. What is the deal with having to maintain lawns/gardens at someone else's house?

In the past when I've LOOKED at houses to rent (always ended up in an apartment) there's been yardwork included or a service that takes care of stuff, either through a HOA or just because the landlord has a crew come in and builds it into the rent.

I loving cannot stand yardwork and seeing as how I've never had a house I don't actually own any tools like a rake, much less a lawnmower or trimmer. Is this something I should negotiate with the landlord in advance? How much swing would I have to be like "I'll pay an extra $50 a month towards you doing your own drat yardwork" or "Take $50 a month off the lease and I'll maintain your yard to a minimal standard"?

Whether or not lawn maintenance is your responsibility will be in the lease. If it is a house I'd be pretty surprised if you weren't responsible for stuff like mowing and snow removal.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Why not just get a one bedroom (or cheaper two bedroom) place and not worry about a roommate?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
That is a shitload to spend on every single part of your bedding experience and not representative of 99.999% of people who might read this thread. Where do you even find sheets that cost $330 bucks?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Maybe the number he's giving you is something that automatically subscribes you to something that charges you a bunch of money a month when you text it (and s/he gets a cut)? I've had people at gas stations ask to "borrow my phone" to do exactly that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Since you haven't moved in they might cut you some slack, but since they don't have much time to find a new tenant I wouldn't count on it. The one time I was in a kind of similar situation (signed a lease and then got sent to another state for work about a week before I was supposed to move in) I ended up putting up an ad on Craigslist offering to pay half of the first month's rent to anybody who would take over the lease. That got things taken care of within a day or two.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xandu posted:

I keep a tool for opening paint cans (I have no idea what it's called),

Probably a paint key.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

I have an 11 day old daughter in this house, and running the A/C 24x7 to keep it at 80 degrees when it's barely 90 outside just isn't cutting it.

It might be worth it to run to Wal-mart and buy a window A/C for whatever room she sleeps in. Even with the sunk cost of the unit it'll still save you money immediately by not running the house's A/C and you'll be able to keep her cool and comfortable.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
That sounds like it would suck. I had enough issues in college with splitting bills after someone's girlfriend basically moved in but wasn't paying for it. And at least then the other roommates and I had some control and could easily confront the couple directly.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Toshimo posted:

Getting a new apt with an old friend and trying to figure out the rent split. It's 2b/2ba and I'm taking the master bed (~15% larger) with attached master bath (shower only) and walk-in closet. He's going to take the smaller bed, hall bath (w/ tub). I was thinking 60/40. The place is cheap enough tha that either of us could afford it on our own and we've been friends for at least a decade so I'm just trying to keep it fair.

I've been in a situation like that twice. One time the guy with the bigger bedroom paid a little extra, like 55/45. The other time the guy with the bigger bedroom was the one who got to deal with all the bills and landlord stuff. Both solutions worked fine.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

C-Euro posted:

Well crud. My leasing office called back and told me I'm more or less on my own for finding someone to take over my place. I had guessed this would be the case but I hoped it wouldn't be so. Their advice was "just put an ad out on Craigslist :I" which I'm not so sure about, given the bizarre things I've heard about that site.

Housing listings aren't the shady part of Craigslist. Maybe make a throwaway email account for it in case you get spammed, but posting on Craigslist is by far the easiest way to get your place subleased. If you aren't sure what to put in the ad just look at what other people are generally doing and copy that.

Craigslist is going to be the first place that most people looking to find a sublease are going to look.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

I move over the weekend of June 29th (moveout for my current place is July 3rd so I've got a little leeway). Problem is, I live in Las Vegas, and not even the sacred compact of beer and pizza is enough to make me want to subject friends/family/etc to helping me move in 105 fahrenheit. Especially between two second-story apartments.

To that end, is there anywhere I should start for looking up reputable moving companies that aren't going to pocket stuff the moment I inevitably turn my back? Should I just stick to yelp?

Since you've got leeway is there any reason you couldn't get people to help you over the course of 2-3 cooler evenings rather than one really hot afternoon?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I actually had to bring up the guest thing in a lease with a roommate once, however it was explicitly stated in the lease what the limits of "guest" were. His girlfriend basically moved in and I was tired of her sitting around in the living room watching my TV when I wanted to watch a game or something, paying for 1/2 the utilities when I was only 1/3 of the use, etc. I tried to talk to him about it a few times but it didn't change anything. The dealbreaker ended up being a day I was late for work because she was taking a shower (it was a 1 bathroom place). That was when I pulled out the lease and pointed to the exact lines about guests.

I sincerely doubt that he can tell you that guests can't spend the night. But there might be something about how long/often somebody can stay before they aren't considered a guest anymore.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jet Set Jettison posted:

One of my apartment prospects is a whooolllleee lot of space but I'm living directly above my landlord. I've heard this can be a pain in the rear end. I'm seeing it tomorrow anyway, but should I be concerned?

Are you loud or plan on breaking any rules?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

The idiots at First American renter's insurance hosed up my cancellation request, ending it two weeks early instead of setting it up to end on my move-out date of July 3, and now my current landlord is up in arms about a breach of contract. Of course the apartment office is closed until tomorrow, and First American doesn't get back on the phone until Monday.

So how much lube am I going to want?

How does your landlord even know that your rental insurance ended early? Why would you tell them?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

RabbitMage posted:

Another newbie question: how far in advance should I be calling rental companies to make appointments? Looks like we're heading up to house hunt on July 6th and staying for a few days. That's far enough out that I figure some places we want to see might be rented by then, and new things might come available, but I also don't want things to be too last minute and not be able to see anything. Is there a good rule of thumb?

Worst that can happen if you call now is they tell you to call back in a few days.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I have a futon that I bought at a mattress store for around $600 that has lasted me for almost a decade. It is very comfortable as both a couch and bed. For a year in college it actually was my bed. The cheapo wal mart specials are crap but if you spend as much as you would for a real piece of furniture you can get a a futon that is comfortable and will last.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

How do people determine how safe a neighborhood is generally? Between apartment reviews and police logs I've started to get the paranoid sense that every place on earth is a dystopian wasteland.

My totally not scientific 1st order method is to look at the cars parked in view. Are they as good or nicer than my reasonably well kept up Corolla? Then the neighborhood is probably worth looking more into.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Anne Whateley posted:

I rent an apartment from a big management company and they definitely wanted my boss to send a similar letter. They got the money info from my tax return or pay stubs, but my boss just wrote something on company letterhead that was like "Anne has been working for us for X years. She is a trustworthy, reliable employee and we predict a good future at this company. I would recommend her in any context." It was normal (in New York) and no big deal.

That actually is very unusual. Most companies will not do anything other than verify that you are currently employed (or your dates of employment if you no longer work there).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Anne Whateley posted:

It isn't unusual in New York City, which is where I am. If you've left a company and you're interviewing somewhere else and they call your old HR, it's easier for them if they don't say anything other than "X worked here [dates]." But that doesn't mean that's all they're allowed to say in any circumstance. How could it be illegal for your boss to give a positive recommendation? My boss has written dozens of similar letters, and if you think that's nuts, wait until you hear about co-op applications.

Its not illegal. It opens them up to liability so most companies have policies that they won't do anything more than verify employment dates.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

IIRC (my passport's packed away in a box or I'd check) passports don't have your address on them, just your name.

That's correct. They just have a spot where you can write in your address in pencil.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Can somebody remind me what the goon approved vacuum was? I need to replace my decades old Hoover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

photomikey posted:

http://smile.amazon.com/Hoover-WindTunnel-T-Series-Bagless-UH70120/

That's the tightass one. the one I bought. There is probably also "the greatest vacuum cleaner ever made", but I just can't spend that kind of cash on a vacuum.

Thanks.