Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Your renter's insurance may not like the no-subrogation clause. And the wording on 12 makes me more convinced he took this from a retail/commercial lease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I'm glad they removed the 'you're responsible for repairs' bit, but they never said they were or that you could deduct that sort of thing from rent. Any second opinions?

No self-respecting landlord is going to put a clause in the lease saying the resident can do their own repairs and deduct it from rent. State law may have provisions that allow such a thing under certain circumstances, however, but they are normally very narrowly crafted, and only to be used when the landlord refuses to do certain repairs relating to health and safety.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As you see from the various responses, it depends on the landlord.

My company does a set amount over the market rate, and folks on month to month get increases only when the market rent has increased by a certain amount, typically not more than twice a year.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've only ever heard of CAM fees for shopping centers and the like, never for multifamily residential.

Utilities billed per occupant/bedroom/square foot falls under what is called RUBS which is Ratio Utility Billing System. Every state has different laws concerning it and whether or not it's legal. I have no idea about legality in California, just that it's a legitimate way to assign utility charges where legal.

As with a lot of these questions, the first place you need to start is your lease. If it is included in the lease somewhere, then maybe contact a renter's rights group and see if they can tell you if it's legal or not. Personally, as a landlord, it sounds like bullshit to me, but that doesn't necessarily means it's illegal. Your landlord may just be a dick.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't say the landlord handled it well either. If I get a bill from an occupied unit, the procedure is to pay it (it's our name on the bill, after all), immediately invoice the resident for same amount, and give them 72 hours to switch it over. We can extend that deadline when they respond if needed. But it sounds like the landlord got one or more bills, paid them, then realized oh poo poo we shouldn't be paying this and had service turned off. Which is a dick move by the landlord, especially at this time of year.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Our units don't have gas, just electric. We have a revert to owner agreement with the power co to just put it in our name whenever someone shuts off service, since we need power to turn the unit and also maintain the climate inside.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ancillary income (basically all income that's not rent) became a hot area of multifamily finance during the recession when rents got stagnant (or even declining). The trendy way to increase revenue was by adding on new fees.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ordinarily I'd say order the part, but with Christmas coming up, if it won't be here by then I'd spend the extra money for the local part. Not having a dishwasher if they have folks coming over the holidays would really suck.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if you caused the damage, do right and pay for it, but since they returned the deposit, I'm not sure what their recourse would be, especially if you have the settlement statement that came with the refund of deposit.

That was a really long sentence.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Problem! posted:

I just had an apartment complex pull a bait and switch on me. They told me the specific unit I wanted was available so I put in an application and paid the $175 holding fee for it, then when I went to finish the paperwork they were like "oh btw the unit you wanted isn't actually available we can put you in a second floor unit instead". No I wanted the first floor unit for several specific reasons. What are my odds of getting the $175 back? Or should I just eat it as a lesson learned about the shadiness of the management of that complex?

Check the paperwork and make sure that's that the $175 was actually for. If so, fight.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Problem! posted:

Does the 24 hour notice for landlords apply to just the house or house and yard? Our landlord has been digging around our foundation in our fenced backyard giving us no notice. We didn't see him till his truck was pulling out of the driveway so we didn't get a chance to ask wtf but I want to figure out how irate I should be when I contact the property manager. We're in NE.

It would be polite to notify you, but typically when we think of notice it's to actually go into the dwelling.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely standard. You and your roommate have an agreement to each pay half? Not the landlord's problem. Get a written agreement with your roomie to that effect if you're worried about it so you can sue him if you have to.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

The office chair aficionados get a hard on for the Ikea Markus:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102/

Twenty years ago, good chairs were $500+ and anything below $250 was absolute poo poo. In this day and age where you can read reviews on everything and buy direct from China, there are lots of options in the $100-$200 range that will give you a ton of adjustability, comfortability, and last 10+ years. I'm sitting on an executive leather chair purchased from Costco 10 years ago and it is as comfy as day 1.

I'm sitting in a Markus now. It took some getting used to because the seat depth seems short or something. The first couple days I wasn't convinced I'd like it. I've gotten used to it, but it's not cushy or anything. On the other hand, I don't have any pain from long days sitting in it, so it has that going for it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The straight cold ones work fine. Not as pleasant as heated water, but easier to install because you have cold water supply at the toilet. You'll quickly get used to a jet of cold water hitting you square in the butt.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MNSNTZR posted:

I can't Google this because I have no idea how to phrase the question, so I'm sorry for what's probably a really easy solution to get.

Why is there only a tiny amount of hot water coming out of my apartment's shower compared to the cold water? Like, whenever I turn both dials to full blast, it's maybe 10% hot and 90% cold coming out, which may or may not contribute to why my water pressure in there is more akin to being pissed on than bathing. Full disclosure, the hot water everywhere else runs at full pressure and is freakishly hot (shower's hot dial is just as hot too.) I like that though, so I'm not inclined to change the hot water temperature at all.

I figure it was some cost-saving bullshit done by my slumlord.

Might just have a bad stem on the hot water side, or it's got one of those pressure balancing valves that's gone wonky. Either way, you maintenance man should look at it and fix it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have Amazon basics sheets and I manage to go to sleep every night without fail.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

Am I not also paying for the 'quiet enjoyment' of a home I'm paying for? Why does he have more rights than me and should be allowed to disregard the apartment complex rules everyone else has to follow?

Ear plugs don't block your apartment from vibrating at midnight.

And actually I am looking to buy a home this year, as my lease ends in 3 or so months.

Also gently caress sake the reading comprehension in this thread. I said repeatedly that I understand apartment living comes with noise and then everyone comes in spouting 'you have to expect there's going to be noise in an apartment!'. Thanks I hadn't considered that.

A lot of places will have quiet hours, 10pm to 6am or something, where you're not supposed to do things like laundry or have loudish music or whatever. And this is why. If your community has it, then ask them to enforce it. If not, you're boned.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just put down a layer of all-natural straw on the subfloor and call it a day.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RabbitMage posted:

So, good news: new maintenance guy came out, looked at it, and said due to the way they built the apartments that's just a thing that happens, it happens in other apartments, and can't/won't be fixed. So sometimes we're just going to end up with our bathroom soaked and be unable to use our only toilet.

Also saw the apartment manager posting some anti-gay comments on a Facebook article, and her racist and transphobic comments weren't far behind (my spouse and I are queer and the majority of our complex is not white).

File a fair housing complaint. Get paid, move somewhere that doesn't suck.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it would be unusual for you to be responsible for that unless it’s spelled out in the contract. Absent that, he’s the only one with a legal responsibility to the condo board.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised the Better Business Bureau still exists. The whole thing is a racket. They're just a club that charges businesses a fee so they can display their stickers. If they get a complaint, they send it to the business. All the business has to do is respond, it doesn't matter how, and the BBB marks it as resolved. That people still care about the BB in the modern age of online reviews, yelp, and whatnot baffles me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Erwin posted:

Yelp is also a racket in a similar way.

I agree I just feel like it would have completely supplanted the BBB by now

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was zero due to the low discount rate for several years in Virginia then they just eliminated the interest requirement altogether a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That will generally be impossible with any sort of corporate management company. On site staff will not typically be empowered to cut deals with individual applicants. Doing so could also raise fair housing questions. Additionally, prices these days are often set by computer in those sorts of places.

You could potentially get a mom and pop type landlord to negotiate with you, but they’re not typically the ones owning luxury apartment communities.

You may be able to find an individual condo for lease and counter offering on the rent wouldn’t be a surprising thing.