Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Crazycryodude posted:

Darwinism causing lovely boats is pure loving gold

I'm sorry, Noah teaches us that creationism is synonymous with good boat building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

ikanreed posted:

I'm sorry, Noah teaches us that creationism is synonymous with good boat building

Anything becomes a walk in the park when you enable god mode.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's because miscreant mathematics use a weird π = 3.14159265... while Biblical mathematic use God's approved and flawless π = 3.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder Andy tried to argue that the 2 in x^2 could be 1.9999....999999 or 2.000000....0000001

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
And, when given proof that he was wrong in the form of an orbital modeling program, refused to run it himself saying he didn't need to because it was "common sense" that the exponent didn't need to be exactly 2.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So he's arguing that a square might not be perfectly square? Like, going up to Archimedes and saying "but what if the idealized straightedge and compass construct of a square isn't really square?"

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
No, it was "the 2 in this formula doesn't need to be exactly 2."
Someone else: "Uh, yes. It needs to be exactly 2 otherwise planets will crash into each other or the sun. Here, try this modeling program and see for yourself."
"I won't run that because I know I'm right. Common sense!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't it in the context of a number being squared though, like it was multiplied by itself as part of the formula?

So even disregarding whether it would make planets crash he's saying "what if x*x was really x^2.000000....0000001 :2bong:"

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It was actually the inverse square rule, and he was arguing that there might be a fractional dimension instead of a 2d square, because he doesn't know why it is a square, he thinks it is a constant that could be slightly off.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 20, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's even dumber. Did he do this poo poo at college while studying electrical engineering?

:eng101: And so we see, the magnitude of the electrostatic force of attraction or repulsion between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the magnitudes of charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.
:freep: But what if it's directly proportional to the product of the magnitudes of charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them to the power of 2.000000....0000001?
:eng101: Stop making GBS threads up the lecture Andy.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
His level of education suggests that he is aware that there is a real physical significance to the square relation in the inverse square rule, and that in fact he's just a lying poo poo who cares nothing for truth or reality when it conflicts with his goal of brainwashing children.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
He’s an electrical engineer who doesn’t believe in imaginary numbers. His relationship to his own “education” is as alien to all of us as a houseplant’s.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There are (incredibly complicated and unnecessary) ways of doing things like reactance and impedence without imaginary numbers, even Gauss himself thought they were badly named and could cause confusion as to the nature of a useful mathematical shorthand, and preferred direct, inverse and lateral units, instead of positive, negative, and imaginary.

Doing things like electrostatics without a robust understanding of the inverse square law is just :eng99: though.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Haven't they been called complex numbers for a while now?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Complex numbers could include the domain of all purely real and purely imaginary numbers, but tend to be only used to describe numbers with a non-zero component of both.

So 5 is a real number, 5i (or 5j for electrical engineers (or Does Not Compute for Andy)) is an imaginary number, and 5 + 5i is a complex number.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Guavanaut posted:

That's even dumber. Did he do this poo poo at college while studying electrical engineering?

:eng101: And so we see, the magnitude of the electrostatic force of attraction or repulsion between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the magnitudes of charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.
:freep: But what if it's directly proportional to the product of the magnitudes of charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them to the power of 2.000000....0000001?
:eng101: Stop making GBS threads up the lecture Andy.

My guess is that he was raised in a home where questioning an authority figure like a professor was a high crime.

So he kept every genius thought experiment that overturns godless physics in his head

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ikanreed posted:

My guess is that he was raised in a home where questioning an authority figure like a professor was a high crime.

So he kept every genius thought experiment that overturns godless physics in his head

Comedy option: he was that one student who irritated his professors so much that they all passed him just to get rid of him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ikanreed posted:

A liberal Muslim homosexual IEEE member professor and imaginary number believer was teaching a class on Carl Gauss, known atheist.
"Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship the inverse-square law and accept that any divergence of a vector field from a point source depends on the square of the radius, because the surface area of a sphere is 4πr2.

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, pro-life American lawyer and Christian conservative activist who fully supported all military decision made by the United States except under Obama and Clinton stood up and held up a round rock.

"How big is this rock?"

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied "its volume is four thirds of pi multiplied by it's radius cubed, you stupid Christian"

"Wrong. It's not an exact sphere. It might be four thirds of pi multiplied by it's radius to the power of 3.00000...000001"

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of On Physical Lines of Force. He stormed out of the room crying those liberal crocodile tears.

The students applauded and all registered for Conservapedia accounts that day and accepted Jesus as their lord and savior. An eagle named "Small Government" flew into the room and perched atop the American Flag and shed a tear on the chalk. The pledge of allegiance was read several times, and God himself showed up and enacted a flat tax rate across the country.

And that student...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

raminasi posted:

He’s an electrical engineer who doesn’t believe in imaginary numbers. His relationship to his own “education” is as alien to all of us as a houseplant’s.

Electrical engineering is the one form of engineering where working with i is absofuckinglutely essential. You can do basic mechanical, civil, and even chemical engineering without it, but EE breaks down entirely without i.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

ikanreed posted:

My guess is that he was raised in a home where questioning an authority figure like a professor his mom was a high crime.

FTFY.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Conservative is in one of his manic stages again...this time atheism related.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
This time? Just look up how many "Atheism and..." :airquote:essays:airquote: there already are on consevapedia

Haha, you were not kidding tho, so man "last edited by conservative x hours ago" mentions. Isn't it the middle. Of the night in the US right now?

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 23, 2017

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Fathis Munk posted:

This time? Just look up how many "Atheism and..." :airquote:essays:airquote: there already are on consevapedia

Haha, you were not kidding tho, so man "last edited by conservative x hours ago" mentions. Isn't it the middle. Of the night in the US right now?

The war on atheism never sleeps, friend

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Also mental illness is hell of a thing.

conservative has went on micro edit marathons where he edited pages every few seconds for more than 24 hours.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
cocaine or amphetamines

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Real conservatives want to tear up the highway system and bring back trains.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CountFosco posted:

Real conservatives want to tear up the highway system and bring back trains.

They do love Ayn Rand

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Lawdog69 posted:

I can honestly say that the EPA is really cool.

I have some bad news.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Conservapedia's front page posted:

"Australia recently made same sex marriage legal. Another example of humans trying to be like God."

... how does that even work?

also, I'm surprised by how neutral their article on DACA is. Not terribly much frothing.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Parahexavoctal posted:

... how does that even work?

also, I'm surprised by how neutral their article on DACA is. Not terribly much frothing.

They think only God can make laws. Or rather, laws that people need or have to follow that in some way is in any way associated with their faiths. Even if it is associated only by the word "marriage".

Also known as "a thing that existed before Christianity" but since Conservapedia wouldn't accept that anything existed before Christianity or what faith lead up to it they wouldn't accept that argument.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Well, they would see Christianity as existing before 0 AD, so yeah, they would say that. That said, you don't see Roman pagans or Persian Zoroastrians recognizing gay marriage, so a Christian would argue that man-woman marriage is a truth so fundamental to humanity that even flawed non-Christian religions got that part right.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

CountFosco posted:

Well, they would see Christianity as existing before 0 AD, so yeah, they would say that. That said, you don't see Roman pagans or Persian Zoroastrians recognizing gay marriage, so a Christian would argue that man-woman marriage is a truth so fundamental to humanity that even flawed non-Christian religions got that part right.

Romans absolutely did have same sex unions, as did the Greeks, as did the Chinese. Zoroastrians didn't afaik but good luck finding a conservative that is aware of where Persia is or that the place hasn't been Muslamic since moon worship was founded as a false faith shortly after G-d created the earth in 4000bc

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder Andy tried to argue that the 2 in x^2 could be 1.9999....999999 or 2.000000....0000001

Arguably as both are convergent series, thats actually true. But retarded, also.

edit: If he doesn't realise that both 1.9999....999999 and 2.0000000......0000001 are just 2 anyway, so why the gently caress say i that way, then yes, he's definately retarded

duck monster fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 21, 2018

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

duck monster posted:

Arguably as both are convergent series, thats actually true. But retarded, also.

edit: If he doesn't realise that both 1.9999....999999 and 2.0000000......0000001 are just 2 anyway, so why the gently caress say i that way, then yes, he's definately retarded

They're not talking about repeating decimals, they're talking about 2 +/- 10^-n where n is some arbitrarily large finite number. That is to say, he argued that relativity is unproven because maybe its predictions don't actually explain reality because the equations we believe describe the motion of planets are actually incorrect by some unknown, infinitesimal amount.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 21, 2018

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Obama Agent: Stand up and leave this house!
Andymedes: Do not, I entreat you, disturb my circles. The area might be equal to pi times the radius to the power of 2.000...0001

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Romans absolutely did have same sex unions, as did the Greeks, as did the Chinese. Zoroastrians didn't afaik but good luck finding a conservative that is aware of where Persia is or that the place hasn't been Muslamic since moon worship was founded as a false faith shortly after G-d created the earth in 4000bc

Romans and Greeks had same sex partnerships, but those were seen as distinct from marriage.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Mornacale posted:

They're not talking about repeating decimals, they're talking about 2 +/- 10^-n where n is some arbitrarily large finite number. That is to say, he argued that relativity is unproven because maybe its predictions don't actually explain reality because the equations we believe describe the motion of planets are actually incorrect by some unknown, infinitesimal amount.

Oh. So he doesnt understand infinitesimals at all. Is this the dude that purports to be a teacher?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

duck monster posted:

Oh. So he doesnt understand infinitesimals at all. Is this the dude that purports to be a teacher?

He has an electrical engineering degree from Princeton and a law degree from Harvard. He has had every opportunity in life given to him. All of his stupidity is self inflicted.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

duck monster posted:

To be fair, I'm using "infinitesimal" in the general sense, not as a term of art. That said, he's also a dumbass and is not only a teacher (there are pages on Conservapedia in which he grades students' homework) but fancies himself qualified to moderate the repository of knowledge for all homeschool kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

He has an electrical engineering degree from Princeton and a law degree from Harvard. He has had every opportunity in life given to him. All of his stupidity is self inflicted.

Compounded, fractal, recursive, self-stupidity, at that. :v:

• Locked thread