Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

House Louse posted:

Is the site down for anyone else? I just tried accessing it and all I'm getting is 403 and 404 messages. I need to see that Atheism and Obesity page!

It was down for me as well, so I did a quick google search and got this:

Rationalwiki posted:

403 errors

In December 2010, Andy decided that the existing levels of censorship weren't enough, and asked his fellow sysops "Is there any easy way for me to internally block ALL foreign IPs, without blocking any American ones?" [59] A couple of days later he had the answer: "In only 90 seconds I internally blocked and confirmed 6 major sources of the vandalism, none of which should affect access from the U.S. In total I've now internally blocked 7 major IP ranges: 77.*, 80.*, 81.*, 82.*, 84.*, 85.*, 86.*".[60] The effect of this is to cause anybody trying to view Conservapedia from an IP address beginning with one of these octets to receive a "403 - Forbidden" error.

When Conservapedia was caught up in several DDoS attacks in March and April 2011, an event which caused the site to go down for a few days, some administrators responded by blocking the incoming IP addresses at server level. However, as most of these blocks were either in the /16 or even /8 range, this has resulted in large swathes of the world, especially countries other than the U.S.A. being unable to view Conservapedia at all.

Classy.

Zoinker fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread