Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

ShadowCatboy posted:

This is a very good analysis of the list. (EDIT: Huh may be a different list since this is an analysis of 101 scientists)

I think it should be enough to post this http://ncse.com/taking-action/project-steve if anyone really wants to wave around meaningless numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ahaha so this is where they got the "Welcome to the Republican Party" meme:

quote:

So, I was talking to this little girl Catherine, the daughter of some friends, and she said she wanted to be President some day.

Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there with us - and I asked Catherine - "If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?"

Catherine replied - "I would give houses to all the homeless people."

"Wow - what a worthy goal you have there, Catherine." I told her, "You don't have to wait until you're President to do that, you can come over to my house and clean up all the dog poop in my back yard and I will pay you $5. Then we can go over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $5 to use for a new house."

Catherine thought that over for a second, while her mom looked at me seething, and Catherine replied, "why doesn't the homeless guy come over and clean up the dog poop and you can just pay him the $5?"

And I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

The entire page http://www.conservapedia.com/Conservative_parables#Welfare
Amazing

edit:

quote:

There is excellent evidence that dinosaurs and man coexisted.[34] During a visit to the Creation Museum, the evolutionist and atheist PZ Myers had noticeably greater difficulty than others climbing on and off a dinosaur model due to the fact that he was overweight and out of shape

I'm dying

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 15, 2011

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Strange, yesterday I could still access the page and now it's blocked. I didn't do anything :(

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Listerine posted:

My favorite from the section on Hovind:

His PhD thesis is pretty much a laugh riot, it starts like this:

quote:

Hello, my name is Kent Hovind. I am a creation/science evangelist. I live in Pensacola, Florida. I have been a high school science teacher since 1976. I've been very active in the creation/evolution controversy for quite some time.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
How does one actually get into the Princeton physics PhD program with a history degree?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

TinTower posted:

Scientific breakthroughs due to evolution? Ever heard of MRSA?

How's MRSA a scientific breakthrough?
The big scientific breakthrough of evolution is giving biology a proper unifying framework and making it an actual science removed from the supernatural.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I think it would be equally effective it was just GOD DAMNIT all over because that's what I thought.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Yaos posted:

:angel: :words:

Is this copy pasted from that story where Satan's balls get nuked by NATO or something?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Buzz Aldrin but not Neil Armstrong? Not a single scientist, not even One Of The Good Ones? Not even Martin Luther King (R)?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Whoops of course Buzz Aldrin is a scientist and he obviously belongs on every hero list, still wondering why they added him and not Armstrong.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Bruce Leroy posted:

So, is every earnest Conservapedia editor and user (i.e. not the trolls) retarded?

Nobody can be that stupid, I bet an ingenious troll changed the source url.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

nsaP posted:

You can't make this bullshit up.

Nope, this HAS to be made up, this can't be for real.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Reminds me of this one again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_BzWUuZN5w

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

ModestGenius posted:

Fom conservapedia's Herman Cain page

http://www.conservapedia.com/Herman_Cain

Well...I'm not sure what to think about that. Unless in CP's definition, Obama is one of them A-rabs...

Something about Obama being half white?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Lassitude posted:

Read that stuff about how there's no "atheist dance music", and then read this: Conservapedia's Criticisms of Rock and Roll

Yeah, Christians and their music are so cool and hip and with it, unlike those rock and roll nerds and their godless tunes that make the poor children do terrible things to their body. I always knew James Brown, Bob Dylan, and The Rolling Stones were squares, man.

I'm preeeety sure you're getting trolled by Conservapedia.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Even Conservative makes fun of it in the talk page.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Sometimes I want to be a gnostic to just to piss off the religious people AND make the scientists throw up their hands in frustration.

Intelligent design? Heh, more like stupid design, my god is both incompetent and hates you, refute that Dorkwinist :smug:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

redmercer posted:

Randall Munroe account found

Well drat :smithicide:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's been a long time since I read the paper but as far as I can remember the actual scientific significance of the study wasn't the demonstration of adaptation itself, which is kind of an old hat, but rather the contingency of evolutionary events. I.e. the evolution of cit+ lines was repeatable but only in certain strains with a common evolutionary history that led up to the final phenotype.

Largely due to the retarded creationists, a lot of fuss was made about the "new" metabolic pathway which of course serves as a fantastic example that *gasp* evolution is real. The story ended fantastically for Lenski, he seems to be swimming in grant money now judging by the army of grad students and post docs he employs.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
You question their ability to live a normal life refusing to use insights gained from inferential evidence, thus never solving the mystery of who left the toilet seat up/where did my socks go/how does anything happen at all.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
~~~~*Eco goons reprezent*~~~

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

VideoTapir posted:

How about you find an example that is starkly NOT otherwise comparable to fascists?

The right as seen by the left and vice versa.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's called clown college for a reason.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I am still endlessly amazed by their insistence that Fidel Castro is dead. I wonder how they'll rationalize him meeting the Pope, surely His Holyness can not be deceived by impostors, unlike all the other people Castro was photographed with since his death in 2009.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I refuse to believe that liberal claptrap is something that someone who is not a troll would say.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Goddamn that's stupid, if you give this to your teacher he pretty much has to fail you.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
God could have created 49 but not 50 vestigial organs, it's pretty obvious if you think about it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm starting to get Conservapedia's sense of humor.

"Ghostly shrimp challenges evolution" is not something that I'd expect to read anywhere ever and it's cracking me up.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Also he fat and can't ride a dinosaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Well to be honest, olympic football is kind of a joke, at least the men's event.

• Locked thread