Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

Mishaco posted:

The original Vz.52 in 7.62x45 was known for being highly reliable, more accurate than an SKS, and overall a high quality build.

My friend at grad school is building a collection of Czech guns and got a Vz.52 in 7.62x45. It's a really neat round and the gun was a lot of fun to shoot... it felt really solid. I don't like the sights at all though. I'm sure the rifle is capable of much better accuracy than I got from it, but the rear sight is one of those awful U shaped sights and is pretty wide to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

My P-01 should be in tomorrow.

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it.
I'm about to lose control, and I think I like it.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

UPS tried to deliver my pistol to my FFL outside of their hours of operation. Now they're waiting until Monday to deliver it. Thanks guys.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

I <3 my P-01, but watch out for your TLR-1s there. I did the same thing and then after shooting a couple mags found that the drat anodization had burned off the top of my light somehow.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Thinking about peep sights for my 452. Good idea or terrible idea?

Anyone done this? The 452 sights are already pretty good, that's the only downside I can think of...

Yeah, I put TechSights on my 452 Ultra Lux. They rule. Check the pic in the .22 megathread.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

I'm not really sure the beavertail is necessary. My P-01 has the beavertail but the hammer only comes back about 60 degrees or so... I think it'd be pretty hard to pinch your webbing in it.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Naramyth posted:

A 33 rounder wouldn't fit in the IDPA box.

Party pooper.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

I still have scars from the last couple times I shot my dad's BHP.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Yeah I'm such a fatty fat mcfatterson.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

I just shot my new-to-me CZ 82. It rules. Also, I found out that 9mm Mak bullets from Missouri bullet company are 6 cents each. I am totally reloading this cartridge.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

The "polygonal rifling + lead" thing is lawyer mumbo jumbo for the most part. Just clean it out every few hundred rounds.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

It's pretty hard NOT to keep Makarov within reasonable velocity. It'd be fun trying to make minor power factor, but I think my hands would disagree.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

I don't see why a 94 gr lead bullet would have trouble with 3.2 or so gr of Bullseye. Should fill the case nicely without being too punishing. Also, cheap.

And if you really, really are afraid of using lead, there are Berrys plated bullets for about 9 cents each.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

So I spent this afternoon polishing the trigger bow and sear cage on my P-01, and installed an 85 Combat trigger with the overtravel adjustment. Holy poo poo. The trigger is honestly nicer than my 1911 Gold Cup's. I'm thinking about installing one of my heavier mainsprings because the single action feels like I'm not even pulling it. Double action is also greatly smoothed.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Juice posted:

Be very cautious of a very light SA pull on a DA/SA gun. I had my P229 trigger tweaked to a buttery smooth DA and a 2 pound SA. This was waaaay too light. It was easy to inadvertantly double tap after a DA pull. YMMV, of course.

The trigger is still about 3.5 to 4 lbs... it just feels like it isn't.

ShaneB posted:

Is this safe? Meaning: is any great stress placed upon the slide stop pieces when firing? I can't really tell what it does during firing, if anything.

It stops the slide's motion. Also it controls the camming of the barrel.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

CZ-USA's shipping is really fast. Just get a new slide stop and a bunch of other goodies and be done with it.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

What rotten luck. At the range today, my 82's trigger return spring broke, and I just launched my P-01's firing pin block spring into orbit and cannot find it. CZ ships fast, but their shipping cost is ridiculous (12 bucks) and I JUST ordered from them last weekend. Lame!

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Those look gorgeous, but I've read way too many reports of them snapping to buy them. Also, those finger ridges suuuuuck for reaching the mag release, so I just filed my plastic grips down.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Supposedly they were cracking from the stress of firing. Somehow.

Also, holy gently caress factory mainsprings for the 82 are heavy. Jesus.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Was the recoil spring weak? My newish-to-me CZ-82 banged up my hand pretty good the first time I took it out, but the 18 lbs recoil spring I put in there made it a pleasure to shoot.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Crossbreed makes a Supertuck for it. I don't have one yet so I can't tell you how it is, but people around the forums that do say it's really nice.

The LCP is definitely going to be smaller, thinner and lighter than the 82, being a single-stack polymer gun. It's kind of apples and oranges. That said, with the grips filed down on my 82 it's reasonably sized. I can take pictures tonight.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Sorry for the poor picture quality... my DSLR's battery was dead when I took these.

Anyway, the 82 is actually a bit thinner in the grip than my 1911 (admittedly, I filed down the finger ridges), and has approximately the same slide width, so on those fronts they're about on par.

One place where the 82 excels is bore axis. My thumb is drat near in line with the barrel, and I can get my hands wayyyy up there. Shooting it, especially with the 18 lbs recoil spring I put in there, feels like nothing. Goes right back on target.

Additionally, the double stack mag, while still pretty thin, holds 12 rounds and is wayyyyyy easier to seat at speed than 1911 mags. They are pretty spendy though, around 30 bucks shipped.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have access to a CZ75D full size upper, should I buy it and stick it on my PCR so I have some sort of weird CCO long-slide compact?

I kinda wanna get a Shadow upper for my P-01. It'd be so awesome if it works. It would get rid of the firing pin block though.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Have you ever used Missouri Bullet Company before? Their lubricant smokes like a bastard. I literally smoked myself out during an IDPA match once shooting my 45 ACP load using their stuff. Thankfully the next stage was in a different location.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

I believe it was that the vz. 82 was the first military issue pistol with polygonal rifling.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

funkyaintit posted:

What's the main difference between the CZ 82 and the 83? I want one in .380, and I'm trying to decide if there is some reason to pick one over the other, aside from price.

The difference is the trigger guard, and I think that's about it, really. You can put a .380 barrel in an 82, but the .380 barrels don't have the polygonal rifling that the 9x18 barrels have, if that's something you're interested in at all.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Don't bother with J&G. Wideners has them for 200 with two mags. Mags are kinda hard to come by, and pricey when you do.

I refinished my 82's slide with a sanding block, dremel polisher, and cold blue. It looks pretty good.

P-01s are awesome.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Oh man, I got a Yodave trigger kit for my 452. The trigger is so goooood now. The only thing it's lacking at the moment is overtravel adjustment, but for 24 bucks shipped, if you guys don't have this in your 452, you need it.

My trigger's at about 1.5-2 lbs right now and no creep.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

You can probably get the shim tubes at ACE too, if you go looking. I was lazy however.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Put VZ Grips on the P-01, and it'll slim way down.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Vorlonesque posted:

I didn't know Marschal had thinner 82 grips...I might have to get a pair to replace my current awesome Marschal grips on my vz.82

For what it's worth, I've heard nothing but terrible things about the thin grips cracking constantly on 82s. If you want thinner grips, you can do what I did and take a file and sanding block to the stock plastic grips to take off the thumb rests. It worked great and it's pretty drat slim now.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Also, does anyone know offhand if a stock SP-01 is light enough for IDPA ESP division?

Almost positive it's too heavy with the stock mags, but with 10 round mags you can get it under. Also, VZ grips. It's just a hair too heavy, stock.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Get VZ grips. They're awesome.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

You have to lift it up as you reinstall the decocker lever, so that it settles back down into the notch on the decocker. Otherwise I'm not quite sure what you mean. Did you take apart the trigger group without using dummy pins or something?

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Cajun Gun Works sells a hardened steel slave pin that really works well. You NEED this if you're going to be taking out the trigger pack. Without it you WILL hate yourself forever. Alternatively you can get a cheap drill rod and cut it with a dremel to the right length.

Without the slave pin everything will fly apart never to be assembled correctly ever again. I love my CZs but holy gently caress their trigger packs are a pain in the rear end.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

People DO realize that the Soviet Union fell ages ago, right?

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

The CZ-82 isn't really that snappy... it's just that if you haven't replaced the recoil spring, the one you have in there is probably completely worn out. Get a Wolff 16 pound spring and it's much nicer. Alternatively, they have 18 pounders, which are basically like shooting .22 LR but it's kind of a workout to rack the slide.

Also, DOG MODE.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Quickshanks posted:

I realized this weekend my Sphinx kicks its brass directly dead on straight back into my face. How can I remedy this?

Stop limp wristing it like a bitch.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Limp wristing handguns sends brass at your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

The CGW guy is pretty awesome. The trigger on my P-01 was immensely improved with his hammer cut. I only wish the FPB engaged faster! I've removed some of the overtravel but a lot of it is because it doesn't swing up fast enough. I might do a bit of machining to see what I can do about it.